Tools

Hey guys, i've got a couple projects planned for my car and I needed to get some new tools. Rather than buying pieces one by one, what tool sets would you guys recommend??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u3tl2CEEUTI
sears.com/craftsman-311-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00953311000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899B-Brushless-Torque-Impact/dp/B00WJA1J68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484535960&sr=8-2&keywords=cordless impact 1/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I keep this on my phone for a reason.

I should add that the most important thing is socket sets and jack stands.

Surprisingly accurate. Maybe minus the scan tool and add a voltage meter/multimeter for diagnosing basic electrical problems.

Is that not on there? I guess not. Yeah, DVOM >>>>>> scan tool

Extech makes DMM's that are 90% the quality of a Fluke at 10% of the price.

i bought them one by one.
whats the matter with that?

im in need of a AC/DC clamp on. any recommendations? this one is a decent price but im worried it reads slowly.

If it worked for you that's fine. For me, I get pretty tired of having to run back to vato-zone every time I need a socket extension or anything. I'd rather make one big purchase and get almost everything I'd need in one go.

I'm specifically just looking for an overall wrench set with all sizes, extensions, moveable head shit, as well as pliers, and tools to get all kinds of clips and other shit like that off properly.

i guess it worked? i just dont have a set of everything the same brand. sockets are mostly mismatch. some snap on. some tektron, some whatever.
most of my wrenches are armstrong.
i have everything i need i guess. been through a few impacts though and never got a favorite.

I have this exact multimeter and it's fucking garbage. I guess I've been spoiled by flukes. A test light is really useful to have but it seems like the newer generation of techs rarely use them.

Sadly there aren't really any good "tool sets". The problem with them is that "x" piece tool set is what sells so you end up with a bunch of shitty limited use tools.

Buying sets is for the most part pointless as you only use a hand full of the contents. I mean if you want to show off with a load of tools which you never use that's fine but why waste the money?
The point I'm trying to make is that I can pretty much strip down everything on my car with 6 different sockets, breaker bar and a phillips screwdriver.

my shit tier tools get the job done

That's true. Since i'm just gonna be doin basic work like changing brake pads and such, might be best if I get some solid snap-on ratchets and then over time buy all the sizes and extensions I may need

Well you have an impact tool so you're doing better in life that me, I would be there with a fuck tonne of WD-40 a big bar and half of my knuckle skin in-bedded in the floor.

You gotta pull, not push

Extech.

dude its an AC impact.

which one?

>A test light is really useful to have but it seems like the newer generation of techs rarely use them.

Test lights are used less because their amp draw is high enough to burn out electronic components when used on the wrong circuits, I took the T6 electrical ASE a month back and if remember correctly there was a few questions on whether or not test lights are recommended for troubleshooting(correct answer is "no")

But a Power Probe is AWESOME! That's my next big tool purchase.

Whichever one has the features you need. AC only? AC/DC? 100 amps? 1000 amps? Whatever. You make the call.

Actually electric plug-in impact guns aren't that bad other than being fucking huge and heavy compared to pneumatic guns. I have the 1/2" Kobalt corded impact from Lowes, paid $120 for it, and it's never let me down unless it doesn't fit. This guy on youtube measured it and it's capable of 600ft/lbs.
>youtube.com/watch?v=u3tl2CEEUTI

I haven't had much experience with power probes but they are neat.

As far as burning out electronics I'd just keep in mind that ECM/CAN-BUS shit will be operating at a much lower voltage than the 12 volt light/motor/relay you'll probably be using the power probe or test light on.

There's a multimeter on there

If you buy a cheap multimeter just make sure it's compatible with other brands test leads since no cheap brand makes proper sets of extra long leads, backprobes, etc.

I still use a test light for going through fuse boxes, it's faster than getting a multimeter and leads out.

I got this craftsman 311 piece set. I think it was on sale for like $150 when I got it. They go on sale like twice a year would highly recommend its been great the last 2 years.

sears.com/craftsman-311-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00953311000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

AC/DC prefer RMS

thats not awful if you use better ratchets and get a breaker bar and torque wrench

I have the same. Hasn't let me down. A great start, but obviously you'll need to buy the more specialized stuff depending on what work you're doing.

Unless you're literally inside of a motherboard what fucking circuit are you going to fry with a test light? In fact when troubleshooting a lot of truck manufacturers request you use a fucking headlight to properly load test the circuit in hopes of finding a problem with the continuity.

Well there you go. Order that one.

Buy a small compressor and impact gun on Craigslist. Wayyy better than an electric impact and cheap too. And having a compressed air supply is super handy for other shit too.

cordless ones are stronger than the average pneumatic.

amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899B-Brushless-Torque-Impact/dp/B00WJA1J68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484535960&sr=8-2&keywords=cordless impact 1/2

>nless you're literally inside of a motherboard what fucking circuit are you going to fry with a test light? In fact when troubleshooting a lot of truck manufacturers request you use a fucking headlight to properly load test the circuit in hopes of finding a problem with the continuity.

Woah settle down soldier

>cordless (impacts) are stronger than the average pneumatic

@16494905
kys

Top tier cordless impacts are stronger than pneumatics, but they're also twice the size and weight.

The kobalt 300 and change "Mechanics" toolboxes are pretty decent as far as sockets go. Add a pair of dikes, a flashlight, and a pair of pliers and you're pretty much gtg along with

Slit your throat.

Small compressors aren't worth a shit for running impacts. Most are only intended to run nail-guns.

>small compressor
>impact
No. Maybe if you want to inflate the tires on your bicycle.