Buying a C5

>Manual > Auto cuz muh feels
>Base > Z06 because I'd rather rebuild the LS1 than maintain the high-strung LS6
>Base > Z06 because I would rather have a softer suspension for dailying
>Base > Z06/FRC because I want targa top, my DDs rigidity doesn't matter
>C5>C6 cuz muh pop-ups, cheaper

Ideally it would be a higher-mile, refresh-ready Craigslist special.

What should I look for? What would you do different?

Wow an actual car advice post, Veeky Forums is silent.

You already know what you want, faggot.

We aren't here to justify your life choices.

Dont think of the ls6 as a high strung engine.. Its quite literally the equivalent of a truck engine with bolt on parts.

but youre spot on as for the ride comfort aspect of it.

Nigga the ls6 and the ls1 are pretty much the same, the only difference is the ls6 has better heads, intake and a larger cam.

>What should I look for?
Boomer seller without boomer prices. Finding a manual one is going to be harder because the boomers who bought C5s in the first place don't know how to shift and never cared to learn.

Alright dude, fine.

>What should I look for?
Probably a manual transmission model with an LS1, Base suspension and a fixed roof, and a C5 because of the popup headlights. Exactly what you already knew you wanted.

Happy?

If it doesnt have to be immediately local, corvetteforum.com is a great place. Im looking for a c6 z06 and have been on there everyday lately.

Higher compression, stiffer springs, fatter cam, 50 more horsepower. It's a baby's first LS1 cam swap kit.

Like pic related, except for more like 4k. Rollers go for 2k, running LS1+T56 is like 4500.

I'm probably getting a vette too

but a c6 z06

High strung compared to what? The 7 litre V8 making 180bhp in my mom's '79 LeSabre?

I prefer mid-range C4. Straight lines make me happy.

I posted here a year ago when looking for a car. I got very helpful replies with extensive descriptions of cars that anons found in my area.

With regards to recent post quality I'm not surprised that has changed.

Fuck optispark
Maybe "high - strung" was the wrong word... I want to refresh/cam kit a high mileage base engine. Not maintain an already cammed option engine.
Fucking cancer

>not getting an LS1 Trans Am

>cheaper
>simpler (traditionally mounted engine/trans and live rear axle, not like the corvettes wizardry)
>more dd use friendly, way more ride height
>even has a back seat and hatch area, super usable car
>similar mpg, same engine
>little heavier, worse handling, way simpler rear suspension

as an LS1 Trans Am owner i can easily see myself upgrading to a C5 LS1 corvette; the suspension is so sexy on those its ridiculous

but if you're daily driving, the Fbody makes way more sense. its way cheaper and will be more reliable. the fbody is like 85% of the corvettes performance but you can use it 100% of the time

t56 out of a camaro and the t56 in the C5 aren't the same thing

also i payed just $2500 for my '99 firebird formula Trans Am non-ws6 automatic car.

3.23 torsen rear with 305hp/345 lb-ft LS1 V8 (underrated hp in this model).

less than $3000 for less than 5 seconds 0-60

can not be beat

Last time you were looking for what i assume is a practical vehicle, which is the only thing this board can actually afford and therefore knows anything about.

Now you're asking about a goddamn Corvette.

Even if anyone here DID own one it'd be a clapped out C4

>vette
>not pratical

bro its got double wishbones front/rear with mono leafs sway/spring setup

>not autocross on the way to work

goat DD

You forgot the condition that someone here be able to afford it

what do you want to know, owned mine for 6 years now

I'd do just about everything different when it comes to buying a C5.

What's your experience been with it? Any negatives that stick out?

I've been thinking of getting a C5 if I don't LS swap my Boxster

Problems?
Unexpected maintenance?

no major problems, just general GM build type issues, it actaully just hit 100k this summer
i am the 6th owner and the seats were so bad i replaced the with some corbeaus, everything else i have done to it was just preference

Is your suspension stock? Is it a comfortable enough DD?

Any power mods? Any mods at all?

I've heard stock seats are garbage

i replace the shocks with bilsteins, the rears were completely worn out at 90k, i want to do coil-overs eventually, but they are not necessary at the moment
i have a full exhaust on it and a road tune, kooks long tubes and 3 inch x pipe, borla turbo style mufflers, that is enough for me, it is not a fast car, just sounds good and fun to drive
i forgot it does have a problem currently, i get a lot of blow-by through the exhaust. i want to convert to the ls6 pcv in the engine valley, versus the ls1 style from the valve covers

vintage cringe pic from the fixed headlight era, avoid at all costs