FRS/BRZ/86 - Kouki Edition

No 86 thread?

Keiichi Tsuchiya compares his AE86 to the GT86

youtu.be/It5-mb32spo

Ask questions about the 86, post your 86, complain about getting beat by minivans.

Other urls found in this thread:

greddy.com/products/exhausts/revolution-rs/
ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50441
ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

New BRZ looks fantastic. I wish they had the performance package back in 2014.

TRD 86

>complain about getting beat by minivans
I put a turbo on, so unfortunately i have less to complain about

the music that starts at 1:30 is on point, would touge to

No one???

Sorry m8, I don't have an 86. Considering a BRZ Series. Yellow as a second car.

I've just bought a 2017 86 and cant decide between getting better rims/tyres or upgrading the suspension. Does anyone have anything they recommend?

Tyres make a huge difference.

Any recommended sizes? Everyone I've spoken to so far has told me 18 x 9.5 on the rear and 18 x 8.5 on the front will fill the guards out and give pretty good grip

I run 18x8s all round but the difference comes from the compound not the size.

>talks about buying his 86 for 2200 bucks then dumping thousands upon thousands into it
>says you should modify the modern one too
The difference of course being you can't pick them up from a Jap bubble era junkyard for 2200 bucks.

holy shit.
get a real camera and a real cameraman.

just bought these used series blue calipers. only limited edition part I've ever been really jealous of is the factory painted calipers. they'll go on with some greddy brake lines and new rotors and pads, and I'm ready for the track again.

offset is everything with this car, so make sure you get that spot on. I got some wheels meant for a WRX myself, 18x7.5 ET44. not a whole lot of poke but they fit the hub like it was made for the car, which they sort of are.

go for some nice 17x9, enkei RPF1 for example. dont bother staggering wheels unless you're going for some extreme power build.

He bought his very first AE86 when it was released in japan. he's had more than a couple since that time.

entirely depends on what you want to do. if you're gonna use it on a track, focus entirely on tires and brakes first. wait with power and suspension until you've learned the car inside out

The previous owner of my GT86 painted the calipers and it looked exactly like the factory option when I bought it. 500 miles later the paint isn't just chipping, but coming off in huge pieces. Fucking shoot me please.

>complain about getting beat by minivans
I've never lost to anyone. Then again, none of them knew they were in a drag race.
I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Eh, I did my research before buying. I knew it wasn't fast, next to the big name performance vehicles, but it was very comfortable and pleasant to drive, and has a ton of accolades. The dealer let me keep it for a week to try it out, and by the end of that week I was happy to sign for it.

Not fond of the cup holder. I'm wary of actually using it because it feels like my elbow could knock the drink over when I'm shifting gears. That is all I have to complain about.

Seconded, tires of good compound
I put some Potenza Pole Positions on and it's night and day
Quick merging turns no longer chirp/spin tires, but I don't get the little playful slides anymore.
At least, without actually laying into the gas.

I feel your pain

gonna paint my the calipers already on my car when they're off, do it properly, bake them and everything.

just in case these ones start to look like shite as well

How controllable is the car at the new limits of grip with performance tires. I've read that it's a lot less forgiving than with stock tires.

Series.blue calipers are the stock ones just painted red though?

Just move it back

Damn, are those 19s?

yep.

I cant be bothered to to actually disassemble the entire thing myself, paint it, dry and bake them and bake them just so I can get a subpar finish that starts to flakes off like after the first drive.

the ones i bought arent pristine either, but I got red caliper paint I can touch them up with before installing.

What the fuck is that exhaust

greddy RS

greddy.com/products/exhausts/revolution-rs/

jesus fuck the front bumper on the kouki is so ugly it offends my eyes.

why did they have to give a perfectly good looking car a jew nose?

stupid kikes.

zenki 86 a best.

Did you lower yours and stiffen the suspension because you hate grip?

mine is bone stock, that 86 is from this build thread:
ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50441

High five then, if anything, mine will get a softer front sway bar. It always makes me wanna throw up when I see someone with stiffer suspension. The entire point of the car is the low center of gravity to reduce bodyroll to allow softer suspension, because softer suspension = more mechanical grip.

So it just makes your car louder? Any reason you only shoved it on one of the pipes?

>So it just makes your car louder?

20 pounds lighter, and judging from dynos, between 5-10HP and an equal amount in torque, richer.

>Any reason you only shoved it on one of the pipes?

its a single exit exhaust.

I'm considering getting a forced induction system for mine. Should I go for a super or a turbo, and does anyone here have experience, opinions, or pointers on the matter?

>I'm considering getting a forced induction system
Get a suitable car along with it.

I'm slightly interested in getting an 86 but there are a couple things I don't quite like about it. Can anyone tell me if the Drive by Wire throttle and electric power steering are nice or shitty? I drove a DBW car once and the gas pedal was laggy and weird feeling, and I've heard electric power steering makes the car feel "numb". And do the brakes on 86 feel good? Idk if those have electronic stuff in them too. And can traction control be totally turned off?

Ditch that spoiler please

Where do I buy this conversion?

>Can anyone tell me if the Drive by Wire throttle and electric power steering are nice or shitty?

its one of the points reviewers have praised it for. comparing it to a boxster or cayman is kinda wrong since they feel radically different, especially with all the extra light lock you got on a 86. but its ''as nice'' in its own way.

the only thing that might not feel as nice in a brand new 86 is lerching from the differential. that's usually fixed in one afternoon and new mount bushings though.

> I drove a DBW car once and the gas pedal was laggy and weird feeling

again, most of the praise this car has gotten is from basically being as direct and responsive as an entry level sports car can get. Clarkson complained in the top gear magazine that the car is even too sensitive, which he meant was all that prevented him from doing even bigger drifts.

>And do the brakes on 86 feel good?

they're 2008-2010 impreza WRX brakes. they'll stop on a dime in traffic and emergencies. dont count OEM brakes for a second on a track though. if you want better feel with stock rotor and caliper, consider master cylinder bracing and stainless steel brake lining.

>And can traction control be totally turned off?

100%, even the ABS if you do a little konami code with the pedals and handbrake.

Ask adobe.

>>And can traction control be totally turned off?
>100%, even the ABS if you do a little konami code with the pedals and handbrake.
This doesn't apply to the older model, does it? When I have the TSC "off" it still acts on the front brakes a little to make spinning out catastrophically a bit harder, but doesn't interfere with controlled drifts at all. Elaborate on the cheat code shenanigans.

>This doesn't apply to the older model, does it?
yes

ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494

Sweet Jesus that's interesting. What's the point of turning off the ABS though? I'd prefer if it left that untouched and only turned off the TSC.

its essentially a factory debug mode. not reeeaally meant for public consumption. but its here and its yours if you want it.

I never use it. and on track I only ever use sports mode.

I hate the ugly think flimsy looking spoiler on 17' models. The taillights look even worse too, steering wheel is shit with buttons all over it too

yeah.

look at at this way though, pre-facelift models are gonna be even more affordable.

the red intake manifold is kinda cool though?

The manifold looks exposed like it's missing something

Upon reading more into that, I remember one drive on the Autobahn in heavy rain on almost bald tires where I got some wheelspin shifting into 4th at redline and the TSC interfered, violently shaking the rear lose, putting me almost sideways.

As an automotive engineer I'll agree that the regular VSC sport is exactly what you want as a non-professional driver. I'd imagine even professional racing drivers would prefer it over no aids at all, except for setting lap records.

its missing the ''engine cover'' isnt it?

seeing how you're not really meant to loose traction to start with, yeah. couple degrees of rotation is the kind of leeway vsc sport is going to give you anyways.

paradoxically I drive with TRC off the rest of the time.

TMIC*

After all these months, I still can't decide between a brz and 86. 86 is cheaper, when compared to limited brz. But brz looks more aggressive.

just get an 86.

slap a BRZ front bumper on it if its really that crucial.

Those tails look Korean.

Makes sense, you could just powder coat though.

Supercharger

Tons of people reliably run boost silly goose.

Paint.net

Zenki 86 is best 86

Get the BRZ if you are in the States. BRZ is cheaper and better equipped.

Can you faggot Americans stop calling them FRS/BRZ now that you have the real version of the car? Or is this like the """"Acura"""" NSX in that you're never ever going to call it a Honda?

>Tons of people reliably run boost silly goose.
I personally know 3 people with GT86s that make 350rwhp, one of them over 400. If they had invested the time and money the supercharger and turbo kits and supporting mods costed, they could've had a Cayman S. I know which one I'd rather have.

Me too. 86.

He called it 86 you dumb shitcunt.

So we should just forget about the FRS that was produced for 4 years?

>Spend 24k on brand new 2016 BRZ
>Buy edlebrock SC for 5k
>Brand new BRZ with 250rwhp and 3 year powertrain warranty

Or, spend almost the same on 10 year old Cayman S.

I love the Cayman, don't get me wrong. It just depends on what you want the car for.

The real question is: why do you need 350whp in this car?
FlexFuel+Headers+Tune OR a Supercharger kit is the most the 86 needs. (~250whp). The S/C can be done with a $8k budget (including a wider set of shoes and upgraded brake pads)

I'd take that over a Cayman any day! Probably more reliable too ;)

Lads

I'm tempted to trade in my FiST for a GT86/BRZ, has anyone driven both? What did you prefer? Is it worth it?

You should probably take this to the Toyota general.

Why do people care about the performance package when you've been able to buy those parts seperately for years?

I guess some people don't want brake fade day one.

How do you think the brz will fair in terms of reliability?
Will it last 10+ years without any major issues, and if not will it retain resale value enough to be worth it if I have to get rid of it down the line instead of driving it into the ground?
Also are there any other alternatives for a new/newer roadster with rwd besides the Miata?
Obviously the s2k but I'm kind of looking for something newer, I like to have control over how a car is broken in and not have to do guesswork on how it was cared for.
Looking for a reliable daily driver for work, but also something fun since I moved from boring flat Indiana to Georgia with all these glorious mountain twisties.

It's a low powered, somewhat simple engine but has pretty high compression. And it's a boxer which means it's more of a pain to do maintenance on than normal I4s, so if the owner is lazy or inept the car will probably end up neglected. If it's taken care of though I see now reason why it wouldn't last as well as any other 4 cylinder sports car.

Why buy a brz over a wrx?

They're roughly the same price, but the wrx is quicker, handles well, 4 door practicality, and awd.

what 'performance' tires should I put to replace the standard ones? but without going overboard, I'm not going to tracks with mine

does the transmission oil change really fix the gear 1-2 problems?

White 86 with Black RPF1's or Rota MXR-Rs (Gold)?

I'm a cheap bastard

for reference

Ye olde WRX handles as well as the BRZ meme. Top fucking kek lad, top fucking kek. Even a mustang handles well if all your roads are straight.

I almost threw up in my mouth a little.

I'm ruining Conti rainsports because that's what came on the 2nd set of wheels, they are lasting very well but aren't the most confidence inspiring in terms of feedback.

I've never had the 1-2 gear problem unless it's well into the subzero temperature range so I've never bothered to look into it.

fuck no, the 86 has the angry face, while BRZ looks happy

the 86 has a comical shark face

I was just asking. I don't know much about cars, or these two specifically. I just want something fun and comfy to drive that's modestly practical and won't break the bank.
Wrx and brz both seem to fit the bill alongside the Miata

I have it happen from time to time, and I only live in UK, which has very moderate temperatures throughout the year. I've read somewhere that it solves the problem as it would flush all the contaminants (metal shavings or whatever) that enter the gearbox from new.

it sounds like a cheap and quick enough fix, if that's true

give me a list of smaller performance mods that are worth doing on an 86/BRZ, something for under a grand or less (each).

>tires
E85 conversion if applicable
>headers
>exhaust
>intake
>coil overs

woah, the 86 really is pretty if I can't see the bumper.

>brz
>performace

It's all relative.

The "it's slow and doesn't even handle that great" meme stopped being funny years ago. It performs great for its price, especially outside of straight lines.

>E85 conversion if applicable
what's a E85 conversion?

is this a good order in going with?

>exhaust
I like the style of stock exhaust so I'd like to keep it, what benefits come from changing it?

and last one, where does the remap come into play? should it even be done if doing these mods?

E85 is 85% ethanol, with minor changes and a tune you can get 20 to 30 extra HP and reduce the torque dip significantly. E85 isn't available everywhere though.

An aftermarket exhaust doesn't only make the car sound differently, it can also give you better performance. You can keep the style of you pick the right exhaust.

A remap from an experienced tuner with a dyno will always give you slightly better results than the stock mapping. Without other modifications it's usually not worth the money on a naturally aspirated engine, but with changes to the powertrain you'll want a tune to get the best results.

Except for the tires, the car doesn't really need any modifications, the order is up to you. Google will help you a lot more than Veeky Forums to make an educated decision.

P.S.: just don't lower it like a retard who'd rather ruin the ride than look at the gap between the wheel and the arch.

>P.S.: just don't lower it like a retard who'd rather ruin the ride than look at the gap between the wheel and the arch.
Amen.

>P.S.: just don't lower it like a retard who'd rather ruin the ride than look at the gap between the wheel and the arch.

I wouldn't, that's just stupid, and it's extra stupid living in UK. same applies to rocket bunny kits I think

>that's just stupid
And yet you see shit like this everywhere.
TJ Hunt got a real racing suspension on his BRZ and just defaulted to the lowest and stiffest setting possible. 12-16 year olds mash the like and subscribe buttons so hard he recently bought himself a GTR and a warehouse to hang out in. First thing he did with the GTR was, you guessed it, lowering it.

If this kind of clueless youtube celebtrities are the trendsetters for the next generation of the car scene I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

When I fitted active damper coil-overs I went for the TRD lowered height and have the daily map set right up at the softest end of the range, all be it with some aggressive g force stiffening. Why people run stiff setting on the street is beyond me. Apart from him because if his wheels move they will destroy something at that height.

I've driven both. The fiesta is more torquey, but the power delivery gets old fast. The seating position leaves a lot to be desired, and the back seats are cramped for a 5 door. Go test drive an 86 and you will see what I mean.

No U

Because buying all the parts separately would cost thousands more, whereas PP owners are getting the package for about $1000 more than a limited. Great price for what's included.

These things will last forever if maintained and kept relatively stock.

Not everyone wants a turbocharged AWD sedan?

>Not everyone wants a turbocharged AWD sedan?
Half of Veeky Forums would buy an 80's minivan if it had low 0-60 times and a high skid pad figure, and never understand why anyone would want a BRZ.

After dropping some headers, cam, and turbo in an 86, what exactly can I compete with? Like, can I take on a stock C7 or maybe a 5.0 mustang? I'm trying to do some number crunching. If I can spend less than 10k in mods and get a really fast car, I'd buy a used 86. But if I drop 10k in mods and a Challenger SRT can waste me, then I'd just go the cheaper route and just buy a modern day muscle car.

Can anybody tell me what the FUCK is going on with this BRZ???

Sure...poorly aligned aftermarket nose, hood scoop, fender flairs only on the front...

>does 10k worth of mods make my 2 liter N/A boxer sportscar compete with V8 muscle cars?
You don't really expect an answer, do you?

Does he really think that WRX hoodscoop looks good?

top fucking kek nigger.
You may aswell buy an STi because you'll only be a little bit faster than a stock one.

FRS from the side trim.
Shit bodykit badly fitted.

2016 Mustang GT
or
2014 BRZ with Supracharger

I own an 86 and it pains me to say this, but the new Mustang is a properly good car and I'd probably take one instead if I were an American and had to make the purchase now.

How are these cars as dds? I was considering trading my jeep in for one.