4RUNNER FAM

Anyone have one here? What year is best if I only have under 6k to blow? (prob only 3rd gen but what year? Any general rules when buying/looking for 4R's?

Other urls found in this thread:

roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/5946521573.html
blacksburg.craigslist.org/cto/5912098634.html
lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/5958501569.html
danville.craigslist.org/cto/5924745406.html
lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/5941337025.html
lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/5902373722.html
roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/5947584004.html
toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BALLJOINT
FAILURE
Personally seen it happen 3 different times on two of my friends 4runners

is it an expensive fix if i wanted to do it preventively?

>$2k Suburban
>$2k in mods
>$2k saved
Stop overspending on overrated 4x4s.

Suburbans are trash for white trash

That truck is twice as big and twice as heavy as a 4Runner, they can't really be compared.
I used to tell people to get 4runners but after seeing what I've seen I recommend XJs now
You can replace them but make sure to use legit Toyota parts not some Chinese shit, even then they still break just not as often.
Also if you're considering a 4Runner don't even bother if it's a 3.0 those are total fucking garabage

4Runners are overpriced trash for hipsters with iPhones.

>it cost more it must be better
>I can't be assed to actually compare things

>toyota part fails
>replace with toyota part
Wut?
No one makes an upgraded part?

Lol k poorfag

They supposedly redesigned them after they literally got sued for them breaking constantly, you can buy a uniball system to replace the balljoints but it's too fucking expensive

>That truck is twice as big
Not even close.

>and twice as heavy as a 4Runner
Also not even close.

It's much closer to doubling the 4Runner's horsepower and does double the 4Runner's torque.

Paying more for less doesn't make you rich, it makes you stupid.

Being delusional makes you retarded though...
So...
Go away retard

Wtf are you smoking a shitty ass TBI 350 makes like 180hp lol literally less than the V6 3.4 4Runner

>TBI 350
96-99 L29 makes 290hp/410ft-lbs

>5200lbs
>Only 255hp with the big block that gets 5mpg
Sickening

>L29
Almost none of the trucks have this, they are all LM7s 275hp
Toyota 3.4 is 190hp

The 3vze isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. For every one that blew a hg before 150k there was one that has gone 200k+ without a problem. It's no 5vze but it's not garbage. Paired with the 5 speed transmission it's a pretty decent set up for the money. I wouldn't buy a 3.0 with an auto though, that's just depressing.

Lol 3400 lbs vs 5500 lbs, imagine driving a 5500lb truck with 190hp getting literally 12mpg
Go to any junkyard and you'll see row after row after row of old Chevy pieces of shit with the 350s still in them.
You literally can't give a 350 away for free because they are so heavy and weak, literal trash engine.

L05 TBI 350 is 190-210hp, the weakest of six engine options.

5200lbs is 6.5 diesel model.
255hp is the 96-99 small block.
The big block is 290hp.
5mpg would would be one of the gassers towing 20k lbs up a hill, and the 4Runner would do even worse in that situation.

It's garbage dude it's weak as fuck, my friend had one blow a head gasket at 280k miles, the engine is trash.
Terrible to work on too, everything is a pain in the ass.

Why are you lying?

>Burbalade domestitard getting his ass handed to him
I mean, I'm all for domestic trucks and SUVs, but intentionally being obtuse in a vain effort to discredit another option purely because it doesn't come from your nation is lame.

its SO big and ugly though dude. I actually like the 2 door ones though..
Okay so what gen/ engine? Im still considering something like a 00'-01' XJ sport
Or people that have been saving up and genuinely like the car.. what do you recommend?

>Lol 3400 lbs vs 5500 lbs
3400lbs is the I4 4Runner.
5500lbs would be the 6.5TD Suburban with an extra 300lbs in the back.

The V6 4Runner is right around 4000lbs and the 350 Suburbans around 4800lbs.

Oh please do explain what part you think I'm lying about.

So 15mpg 190hp 4800lb suburban or 18mpg 190hp 4000lb 4Runner
Hmmmmmmm.....
Also if you're going the be off roading you want a small truck not a big truck, I've been through so many spots in a tiny truck that a big truck would have no chance of making it through

Wow so an engine went almost 300k miles before something happened? Must be trash. And it's a small displacement engine designed in the 80s, do you expect it to have 300hp and tq? It has plenty of power with a 5spd. Stop basing everything you know off a friend.

>Also if you're going the be off roading you want a small truck not a big truck
Woah careful there. You're realise you're talking to our resident offroad expert who's spent the last 6 years trying to finalise an unfinished SFA conversation, and is yet to turn a wheel in anger on the dirt.

>conversation
Conversion ayy lmao

Bro that engine is fucking trash just stop, I'm sorry if you own one but get over it.

So 18.8lb/hp Suburban for $2k or 21lb/hp 4Runner for $6k
The only reasons to consider mpg are cost and range. With the 4R costing 200% more you can throw the cost half of mpg out the window. And with the Suburban's much larger fuel capacity, it wins in range too.
Hmmmmmmm.....
Also if you're going the be off roading you want a truck with torque not a gutless truck.

Whoa where are these numbers coming from lol, you might wanna put your trip on dude

> I don't have anything to base my comments on but you are wrong XD
Fucking tripfags

Which numbers?

>Also if you're going the be off roading you want a small truck not a big truck

Pussy.

Every fucking one of them in that post
ITS FUCKING TRASH, GET OVER IT HOLY SHIT.
I did all the work on that motor, I had to deal with that fucking motor on many occasions, ITS TRASH.

280k miles of trash?

>wide open area
How is this relevant at all?

Even with your far fetched numbers, you're also completely overlooking resale that offsets cost. Whether you're dense enough to overlook this, or you're intentionally being obtuse is the question.
>GM fangirls
>even once

Yes, 280k miles of trying to go up a hill on the interstate at 40mph in a fucking 75mph speed limit zone because the truck is too fucking weak to do any better, and getting shit mileage at the same time

Youre exagerating.
My 120hp 4x4 truck can get on the freeway uphill, on a short ramp, at whatever speed limit.

Crawling is for babies. Get a dirt bike if you want to do stuff like that.

I have 3 dirt bikes but thanks for the suggestion

>18.8lbs/hp
4800lbs/255hp for the most common L31 350
>21lbs/hp
4000lbs/190hp number that you provided. After looking into it, it's 183 making it 21.9lbs/hp

200% coming from the average Suburban price being around $2k while the 4Runner sits at around $6k.

The mega ram runner is tiny. A Suburban would NEVER fit through there.

Ok go measure the angle and the length of the onramp and get back to me

Kill your self

>4Runner is 6k
What the fuck are you smoking?
They go for 3-4k all day long in Vegas

3-4k for a 400k mile strawberry milkshaked automatic.

>the average Suburban price being around $2k while the 4Runner sits at around $6k
[citation needed]

You furst desu
Also they cost less because they are worse, quality on old GM trucks is just so shit, I used to work on them all the time

>you're also completely overlooking resale that offsets cost.

>Buy $6k 4Runner
>Sell for $4k in five years

>Buy $2k Suburban
>Sell for $2k in five years

Nigger what the fuck are you talking about? You're probably one of those that thinks paying $8k for a 96 4Runner is an "investment"

Just stop replying to him. Hes retarded.

blacksburg.craigslist.org/cto/5912098634.html

>Buy $6k 4Runner
>Sell for $4k in five years

>Buy $2k Suburban
>Sell for $2k in five years
Ah, so you're comparing something with a useful lifespan left to a basket case at the bottom of its depreciation cycle?
Still waiting on a citation for those "average" prices.

See

See

>extreme example of each
>option 1 regular miles within half of its lifespan
>option 2 256k miles and "works good"
>"average"
Again, either you're more dense than the tare weight of your Suburban, or you're intentionally being obtuse.

no more depreciation =/= no more life

You can't seriously be this stupid.
If you own a vehicle that stops depreciating but still runs like new do you junk it and buy something you think will lose you the MOST money over the next several years?

so a 3.4 3rd gen or nothing? (in the 6k price range)

>extreme examples
These are just local.
danville.craigslist.org/cto/5924745406.html

Here's the best example you can find and it's still over $2k cheaper than the 4Runners. 7.4 4x4, loaded with leather and power options, 99 last year of this body style.
lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/5941337025.html

>runs like new
Meanwhile in reality: the dash is cracked to hell, the radio doesn't work, the door panels are plastic and falling off, the windows don't work, the blend door motor stops working, the fuel gauge stops working, the intake gaskets are leaking water, the A/C doesn't work

>If you own a vehicle that stops depreciating but still runs like new do you junk it?
Not if it runs like new, but if it's a basketcase I'd simply bodgy it up, claim it "runs great" and sell it to some retard for $1200 firm.

p much yeah that or an XJ, I would get an XJ if I had to choose between the two simply for the fact that the ball joints don't exist on an XJ (it's solid axle) and the engine is easier to work on since it's I6 and the bay is less cramped.
I have lots of experience working on 4runners, tacomas, explorers, chevy pickups/suburbans/tahoe/yukon etc etc

>eanwhile in reality: the dash is cracked to hell, the radio doesn't work, the door panels are plastic and falling off, the windows don't work, the blend door motor stops working, the fuel gauge stops working, the intake gaskets are leaking water, the A/C doesn't work
>muh assumptions
Keep projecting.

XJ D30s do use ball joints.

>muh assumptions
Calling the kettle black?

>XJ D30s do use ball joints.
much better designed ones, they aren't part of a control arm setup.

I cite specifications and provide sources for my numbers. That's not assumption.
Blindly assuming nothing works on a truck you haven't seen or even looked into just because you don't like the brand perfectly fits the definition of an assumption.

Well we can at least agree that Toyota's IFS is garbage and SFA is superior.

lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/5902373722.html
roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/5947584004.html

desu I just listed all the things that were wrong with my friend's 1500 95 pickup with 100k miles on it.
I'm not even joking, there's more wrong but that's all I noticed when I rode in it.

How many violent seizures has your friend had in this 95 to trash the interior that badly that quickly? Was it a flood vehicle?

>My 98 210k has a small rip in the driver seat and stopped reading CDs until I replaced the headunit for $15, AC isn't as strong as it should be but still works well enough

Those trucks are just total trash, he wasn't hard on it at all, they are just very cheaply built.

Now I know you're spouting some biased bullshit.

You can fairly say they're not as capable out of the box as something like a 4Runner and the smaller aftermarket makes it more difficult to build them but to say the platform in general was trash is just outright wrong.

>I cite specifications and provide sources for my numbers
Finding the most extreme of examples is a "specification and source"?
>That's not assumption.
Your assumption was no one will notice you're trying to pass off immaculate 4Runners to piece of shit 256k mile Suburbans as comparable averages.
You assumed wrong.

i have one and i bought it not knowing it had a blown head gasket/fucked valves. aside from the nearly 2000 dollar repair it's an awesome truck. reliable as fuck and looks good

>Finding the most extreme of examples is a "specification and source"?
There's nothing extreme about the examples I posted. Examples similar to those can easily be found anywhere that I've looked. Instead of baselessly trying discredit me, why don't you try to find evidence to the contrary?
>Your assumption was no one will notice you're trying to pass off immaculate 4Runners to piece of shit 256k mile Suburbans as comparable averages.
Those 180k mile 4Runners aren't immaculate and those Suburbans aren't pieces of shit. But there's nothing I can say to rid you of your bias.

>Reliable other than the $2000 repair
That same repair in a GM would be evidence of unreliability, how it's so easily ignored when it's Toyota is beyond me. But I guess I'm just not a fangirl so I wouldn't understand.

>180k mile
It was a 150k mile, and you literally implied a 150k mile 4Runner and a 256k mile Suburban was comparable, then call others "bias".
Fangirls confirmed for lowest common denominator shitposters.

>It was a 150k mile
Here, I'll post them again.

4Runner are overpriced as fuck
Suburban is ugly as fuck

Seriously guys, I've been looking for a "good" 4x4 and I'm just mind fucked at these 4runner prices. Why the fuck would anyone pay 6k+ for a 2000 vehicle????

Paired with the increased regular maintenance and replacement due to wear and age, you are paying like 10k for that shit. And let's hope you don't get the frame rotting shit.

That's 10 thousand dollars.

Do u niggers all make 60k after taxes?????

Anyways, what r some cheap but decent options for a 4x4 in that year range? 1998-2002?

I've owned three 4Runners
-1994 3.0L, 5 speed, 4x4
>lasted til 245k when it was wrecked
>good off-road capability
>evidently buying a 3.0L is a gamble

-1998 3.4L, auto, 4x2
>267k, can't say much else got sick of not having 4x4 and sold it

-1999 3.4L, auto, 4x4 (current DD)
>120k
>slow as hell
>bad mpg
>auto a shit
>good off-road
>looks good

Don't buy a 4Runner unless you really like them OP, but if your heart is set on it
>3rd gen is best gen
>auto a shit
>get 4x4
>check for strawberry milkshake

>4Runner are overpriced as fuck
>Suburban is ugly as fuck
Well you're half right.

How can you even compare that immaculate 4Runner to that piece of shit Suburban? They're not even in the same class. No wonder the Suburban is cheaper.

Unless you're extreme rock crawling SFA really isn't necessary. IFS is far superior on the road where the majority of a typical person's miles are gonna be

I've owned a 2001 4Runner for a year now. 128k miles on it right now only major item I had to replace so far was the lower ball joints. When buying a 3rd gen gen look out for lbjs, strawberry milkshake, and frame rust. other than that there isn't much to worry about with these vehicles

Also for OP toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html

1999 best year because highest ground clearance and minor updates ("3.5 gen"). After 1999 the 4runners got lower springs due to rollover concerns from Toyota

IFS is slightly better on the road.
SFA is far superior in some offroad situations and slightly better in others.

If you're pushing your vehicle to it's limits on the road but not off road, then sure go IFS. Why would you want SFA for a truck you treat like a car?

If you're pushing your vehicle to it's limits in any type of offroad situation that isn't racing through the desert, then you're probably not taking that same truck to go conefagging with and the advantages of SFA would greatly outweigh the advantages of IFS.

Shitty IFS will limit what your vehicle is capable of off road. SFA isn't going to limit what what highways you can drive on or which grocery stores you can go to.

Sadly with the shitty IFS vs SFA debate, the shitty IFS side always cites the very limited offroad advantages of a long travel 2WD setup. For MOST uses, that setup is entirely useless not to mention out of reach for the people defending it.

What SHOULD be debated is whether or not the limited travel and unreliability of shitty factory IFS makes a SFA conversion worth the time and money. For some it does, for some it doesn't. But arguing that shitty factory IFS is great offroad just because pre runners run IFS makes you look like an idiot.

I off-road my stock 4Runner heavily and you'd be surprised what it can get through. If you've never seen/driven a 3rd gen in any off-road situation you're opinion is irrelevant. SFA isn't necessary for average off-roading. Rock crawling on the other hand....

SFA isn't necessary, but it is superior.

When you people are done arguing, does anyone have experience with the V8 '03-'09 4Runners? I've been eyeballing these, don't want the V6 when I can have a V8.

Honestly you can't go wrong with the V8 4runners. Any year is good just the right deal

i own one.

get a 99 or above

Not when there's miles of washboarded gravel roads before you get to the trailhead.

SFA is only good for crawling.
Otherwise IFS is superior.