>fuel efficiency is a plus
was looking at the 97 Miata but from what I've read it's quite unsafe
so I'm now thinking
>AE86
>MR2
>240sx
but getting official saftey ratings on cars like these is hard af
open to suggestions

You're gonna be removing the steering wheel so i don't understand why safety is your biggest concern. Also it's not like you're going to be drifting at super high speeds, so an impact isn't going to do much more than crack a bumper

BTW be careful with mr2s, some early models don't have power steering, and they're prone to snap oversteer

>reliable
Lel good luck mate

ik this is a lot to ask but If it can be a daily driver, that'd be preferable, if possible

>fuel efficency
>safety ratings
>on a drift car
Wow you're gay dude

You don't want to daily a drift car

Oui if you want to daily a drift car get a 240, a million and one things will go wrong with any of the cheap "drift" cars out there. Keeping a 240 running is waay easier than any of the others. If your in a big enough town you'll find the occasional 240 being sold for parts on CL. Always buy as much as you can off of those. Most aftermarket shit for 240's are also priced reasonably and easy to install too.

>thinking the any of those other cars are safer than a Miata
LOL

>reliable drift car
LOL

>Fuel Efficient
LOL

>MR2
lel good luck trying to drift a Mid engined car

>AE86
Good luck trying to find one below $5k

>240sx
garbage unless you put serious money in it but probably your best bet

But seriously you sound underage as fuck, you probably play forza and watch haggard garage/TJ Hunt. Buy a Honda Civic. Learn how to work on it. When you save up enough money and feel confident working on a car, then pick up a second car you can beat the absolute piss out of. You'll thank me later.

Or just totally ignore me and learn from your mistakes.

>fun
>safe
pick one

r31 skyline

miata is a shit tier drift car
wheelbase too short, horrible chassis rigidity, gutless engine, convertible and fag stigma

best options would be a miata or e36.

The miata is the go to easy as fuck sure fire choice. The E36 will be cheap to buy, but you will have to do a lot of maintenance preventative or otherwise which will add up.

Miata has so many fucking cheap parts and whole channels on youtube with drifting them. decent engines 1.6 or 1.8 and you can even go turbo for cheap too.

I agree with you minus the fag stigma, Im not an insecure faggot like you.

I never said the Miata is a good drift car.

Its a great entry level track/autox car.

i live in San Diego, so i sure got Big City covered

>drift car
>reliable, safe, fuel efficient
lmao

say I take your advice (I'm 19 mind you)
and go with a civic, what year should I go for?
currently drive a Toyota Camry with 290k miles and it's a v6 so i got a waste of horsepower AND a waste of gas due to it's 0% fun factor. 17-20 mpg is not good on my wallet

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Of 17-20 MPG isn't what you like maybe you should stay away from this entire hobby because that and lower will be your average with most fun cars.

Get an R33/R34 Skyline

Underrated drift machines so nobody buys them, you can get them for cheap.

I'm fine with lower MPG if it's only a fun/race car, and I have a fuel efficient Daily Driver like a civic
like that user sugested

>R34 Skyline
>living in California
>5k

none of these things go togeather

He's clearly an Australian. Disregard the shitpost.

OP, were you the user asking about learning to drift a couple nights ago? Just curious because it's the same city as that user. Either way, I'll chime in here like I did with that thread.

Reliability, safety, fuel efficiency should not be concerns for your 'drift' car. You're not going to be daily driving it if you spend any serious amount of time at the track. You can kind of pick one or the other, typically you'll want to strip a lot of the DD amenities for weight reduction and otherwise, some of the mods you'll be doing will make the car an absolute pain to drive in day-to-day traffic, especially in a busy city like San Diego.

Give up on finding an AE86 at all, let alone below 5k, unless you're willing to rock the coupe. Would not recommend the MR2 to start out on. It's like starting on nightmare difficulty in a game you've never played before. The MR2s below $5k are almost always going to be the mk1, no power steering and snap-oversteer happy, not the kind of thing you want to deal with as a beginner unless you have the throttle control of an absolute legend. You don't.

240sx is your best bet like other anons, but you're going to be working your ass off on it.

Check out ThatDudeInBlue on YouTube, he's kind of cancerous a lot of the time, but he's running a 240 for drift purposes and can give you some ideas for your own project.

>buy RWD shitbox
>strip interior
>weld diff
>put a sport suspension kit if it handles like a boat
>drift till the tires go or you crash

It's not the best drift car maybe, but get a 80s or early 90s RWD volvo brick, weld diff, get skinny rear tires or, swap a new engine in on tune the stock one.

was not the same user as a few nights ago. but
thanks for the honest input. thanks you y'all I think I've my mind set on buying a civic first THEN a 240sx as a race car

Lol, right?!!!

This. If for some reason you come into enough income to build it, LS Swap the bitch.

This
A turbo 940 will do 200 hp easily, and 300 on stock internals.
Strip the interior and cut the springs and you can drift good

Toyota 86. Though it's more for wealthier people like me. Very close to saving up 10k for the down payment.

>Drift car
>Safe

Pick one.

Mr2 is grip machine, no drifts. I bought a salvage aw11 for hooning and it's a blast for how light and grippy it is

Ae86 won't be had for 5k, tofu tax

240sx are hard to find, might as well get a 300zx for same price but there's reliability issues with them

get an sn95 rustang and go crazy

>and go with a civic, what year should I go for?

I mean depends what you are looking for. Also you plan on keeping it stock right? anyway go to the Honda General and ask them

>unsafe
>wants an MR2

pls senpaitachi you don't want this

This.

Get a cheap v8 and dog it.

a million times this.

>$5k or less
>AE86
ebin

Typical wanabe racer asking o if he can daily his beat up 240sx

Ae86 is overpriced weeabo shit
Mr2 doesent drift, spins.
240 is nice but expensive
Miata is nicer

Is curious how car people are being assholes but very helpful in this post...