Are cleaners for catalytic converters a meme?

Are cleaners for catalytic converters a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

More than likely...

is your life a meme?

Catalytic converters are a meme themselves

OP here

Driving with 4000 to 5000 rpm for about an hour with 120 km/h should have the same effect

also using mineral spirits as an additive instead which costs a shit-ton less
youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE
>1 2 3 4

No, they are snakeoil nothing to do with memes.

What's snakeoil?

its literally rubbing alcohol, it makes the enigne run hotter which in theory would make the carbon buildup burn away

It's a term for fake remedies sold by 19th century salesmen.

REV UP YOUR ANUS

OP here

So driving at high rpms with E10 should have the same effect?

Not entirely sure, last year my car failed emissions and I had an advisory for it.. This year a day before the MOT I sunk 3/4's of a bottle in to the fuel tank and it passed and I didn't do any work on the car in regards to emissions at least throughout the year...

But it may have failed previously because I took the engine apart so idk..

Nope, rubbing alcohol is isopropanol, not ethanol.
But running your engine under excessive load might work anyway, drive it at topspeed for about one hour, if it doesn´t work after that, your catalythic coverter is fucked.

Can your shitbox handle that?

>Can your shitbox handle that?
Wich shitbox can´t handle that?
Even my naturaly aspirated 1.0L econobox did 160-170 km/h for one hour reving 5000-6500 rpm

It's probably some kind of ketone solution. Ketones are powerful solvents.

You do realise ketones would just get burned in the engine along with the gas?

They promote molecular diffusion and interrupt (reduce) surface tension (sticking) of fuel molecules to engine parts, resulting in more complete combustion. Of course no combustion is fully complete, and ketone vapours can continue working past the exhaust valve. An added benefit to better diffusion and less fuel adhesion is less partially oxidized fuel (soot, carbon particulate) being formed.

Will it de-poison your cats, no probably not, but it will burden it less with reduced particulate emissions.

Ketones are a basic component of fuel additive packages, at threshold amounts.

I just run mine through the dishwasher every 6 months or so and that seems to do the job

>Are cleaners for catalytic converters a meme?
Metallics such as lead fouling the catalytic converter aren't removed by additives. Lead isn't the only metallic substance that can reduce the catalyzing ability of the cat. It's why top tier gasoline has requirements limiting the amount of other metallic substances (not just lead) in the gasoline.

>Lead isn't the only metallic substance that can reduce the catalyzing ability
Yep, Phosphorus from engine oil is a big culprit of cat substrate coating. They're phasing Phosphorus out of motor oil out for that reason.

but my engine doesnt burn oil

Every engine burns oil, your engine may burn less, but it still burns some oil.

>t. Ford customer

>he has a catalytic converter

what are you? gay?

Nope, but every engine exposes oil to the flamefront inside the cylinder and some of it will evaporate and burn.

True, and the sun is affected by my gravitational pull
>Fat Americans joke incomming

Sincerely consider doing full throttle pulls at night for 20 minutes or so once the car is warmed up. Drop a bit below the speed limit, full throttle a good bit over, coast down to a safe speed, repeat.

In open loop the engine will run a little rich which will cause the cat to get extremely hot and can burn some things off. If that doesn't do it try ultrasonic cleaning. If that doesn't work it's probably beyond economic repair.

>PCV
Your engine technically 'burns oil', but in the context of engine oil vapors. Volatilized parts of the additive package (namely Phosphorus) travels through the breather system.
Every engine "burns oil", but every engine does not burn oil equally. When people refer to an engine burning oil, they're usually referring to stuck, worn, weak, defectively-designed piston rings which allow a significant mass of liquid oil to burn non-constructively. Every engine breathes crankcase oil vapors however, and Phosphorus is one additive that volatilizes easily and travels through the PCV system. IMO it's not really a big deal, but EPA needs some excuse to pin the mandate to reduce P (and thus ZDDP) from consecutive oil standards.

OP here

Thanks for your advice, but I don't have to go through all that hassle, here in Germany large sections of the Autobahn don't have speed limits.

My car is currently filled with Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 which contains a shitload of ZDDP. They are promoting it as one of the cleanest oils, are you telling me, that higher Phosphorus concentrations are actually harmfull for your engine, if it burns a lot of oil. Currently I have to refill 500 mL every 1000 km.