How bad of a idea would a w124 190d be for a first car?

How bad of a idea would a w124 190d be for a first car?
I know they aren't fast(not even close), but i always loved old diesel mercs and seeing my neighbour drive one for almost 15 years(last 5 of which on heating oil) proved to me their indestructability
what am i supposed to look out for?

- They're inefficient as hell for short distance trips, so they will sip a fuckton if you commute only 10km all the time

- old as fuck, you WILL have to invest quite a lot to keep it running

- they're PAINFULLY slow, borderline dangerous in today's traffic. you have to like it otherwise it will drive you insane

- everyone will think you're bottomline poorest person in your village

>le German reliability xD

>w124 190d
>w124

>190

if you want to act like you know something, at least get your facts straight

>they're PAINFULLY slow, borderline dangerous in today's traffic
What a load of bullshit. Modern cars haven't suddenly become racing machines.

Yes...
But most modern cars are quicker than a 20-year old diesel car.

>I've never driven anything other than my '88 Civic the post

>can't keep apart w201 and w124
>doesn't believe that the 75hp diesel engines in them are painfully slow

I see you have literally no idea what you're looking at.
The 190D accelerates in about 20 seconds to 60 and the 200D even needs 23.

By today's standards this IS painfully slow and if you're happen to drive lots of highway each day this can be scary.

>16506431
>- They're inefficient as hell for short distance trips, so they will sip a fuckton if you commute only 10km all the time
Huh, didn't expect that
>- old as fuck, you WILL have to invest quite a lot to keep it running
Meh, nit so much this and the mk2 golf are basically on every corner
>- they're PAINFULLY slow, borderline dangerous in today's traffic. you have to like it otherwise it will drive you insane
I can live with this, also i think you might be overexagurating a bit
>- everyone will think you're bottomline poorest person in your village
Like i said, they're at almost every corner and a lot of people my age drive old shitboxes inherited from their grandpa/dad

Arent these basically the last good old german cars

>Huh, didn't expect that

Old diesel cars need a couple miles to get into the groove and then are efficient. Before that they actually guzzle more then their gasoline equivalents.

Since it takes a while for them to warm up, especially in winter, it also takes a long time for the cabin to warm up so if that is a problem for you, be aware.

They are but at this point they're around 30 which means the durability and reliability gets fucked over by age.
Lots of people believe in fairy tales and expect those "legendary cars" to run without ANY maintenance which simply isn't true.
You have to maintain them, otherwise they will fail like every other car too.

it's a heavy car with a weak diesel and if you're getting automatic then gearing cucks you even more

20 seconds 0-60 isn't the big deal, but the lack of acceleration from a roll will be even worse. you'll never escape a dangerous situation by getting the fuck out with a car slow as this

why get a diesel anyways?

I always had this almost autistic obsesion with old german diesel cars, i always asociate them with quality and find them prety cool

obviously you have to maintain the cars, but with some it's easier than with others

W123 300TD maybe something for you?

125hp, 230Nm which is 50hp and 100Nm more than the 190D

I'll look it up, but anything over 2.0 liters is expensive to insure

I kinda like it, but when it was still new, it was Russian mafia car, and now it's gypsy gang car.

>W124 190D
Those don't exist, 190's are W201's. It's in the fucking file name god dammit user

>anything over 2.0 liters is expensive to insure
German detected

Balkan

vučiću pederu

Kek
E
K

Why not get an actual w124?
It looks better, is more bulletproof and the 2.3l is good for 130 horses

knew it

If you can actually find a 190d in a good condition i'd say go for it,although I might be a bit biased because I also like old diesel mercs.

>t. 1.6d golf driver

why not just get a petrol car instead, Depending on its mileage a diesel is a moneypit

I was a mechanic at shop that specialized in imports for about 12 years (in the US) and I had this old guy that used to bring in his 190 in for everything. I think it was an '85, with a 2.3 and a manual transmission, dark blue with the peanut butter interior. Perfectly maintained and only about 80k miles. This guy passed away and his wife came to us to get rid of the car. I bought it for my wife, upgraded the brakes and suspension, bought a set of black steelies and blizzaks for the winter and gave it to her for Christmas. She loved that car and drove it for 3 years, ended up selling it to a black chick for 3500 and she never came back to pick up the the snows lol.