youtube.com/watch?v=_5ZiUsz9MFo
youtube.com/watch?v=G0P9AZ_fG9U
youtube.com/watch?v=gJu2nEAtPeE
youtube.com/watch?v=-EV9f76i0OA
youtube.com/watch?v=oeps18chvC0
youtu.be/qRtgUuYFX0M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_based_GM_small-block_engine
youtube.com/watch?v=VsmbbuSq9m0
macsmotorcitygarage.com/2014/08/21/cammer-the-real-story-of-the-legendary-ford-427-sohc-v8/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

okay

>Chrysler
KEK

okay

>chebby 305

Bastard revved to the moon

The modern coyote motor is better than this particular motor and any arguments otherwise are going to appeal to tradition.

That's not a DZ302.
In comparison, the Ford 302 did make more peak power, but it had a retarded intake manifold that made them very peaky. That peakyness made it extremely hard to keep in the powerband while racing. Thsi explains why it lost 2 years straight to Chevy's 302 in Trans Am racing.

The 305 can't rev for shit.

Buick 215

An OHV engine from the stone-age era of automotive technology really rev that hng? or was it high for an OHV? 50s 60s and 70s engines are new grounds for me.

>302
My autism kicked in for a second. Was thinking about the truck motor for some reason
Chevy 302 used in the first camaro rs was specifically built for trans am racing. Revved to the moon. You can swap a 350 with a 283 stroker or something like that and have a 302 rev to 8500.

Can anyone correct me if im wrong with the 350 and 283 stroker and rods?

you're correct on the 350 block and 283 crank.
Early 302s in the Camaro Z28 were built using 327 blocks though.
What you need for a Chevy 302 is a 4 inch bore (so a 350 or 327 block will do), and a 3 inch stroke crankshaft, so a 283 crankshaft in the gen 1 SBCs, and a 265/L99 in the gen 2 LT series.

The Chevy SBC 302 was a homologation special for Trans Am racing. Big bore, short stroke. It was ONLY available in 1967-1969 Camaro Z28's. The 302 Z28s were actually faster than the Camaro SS's of the time that came with 350's.
The DZ302 as it's known was well known for revving to 7k stock. They were rated at 290 HP in street form, though dyno tests by Hot Rod magazine show the output of road cars was closer to 360 HP. Race spec Trans Am Z28s made over 450 HP. The 302 is fondly remembered as THE highest revving of all the Chevy small blocks. 8500 RPM is not unheard of. Those fuckers will scream.

BTW, the reason to homologate the 302 for racing was that the Trans Am race series had a 305 cubic inch displacement limit. The series continued well into the 1970s, but the rules were changed in 1970 regarding the homologation models. The street models could use a larger engine provided the race car used a destroked version 5.0L variant.
So 1970+ second gen Z28's got a 350 and the Challenger T/A's got a 340.

351 Cleveland

This.

cammer

nah lol

just your regular sbc 350 passing by

dont mind my unmatched reliability, aftermarket or adaptability, i love boost, long highway pulls and sip fuel

LS=/=SBC

It's a small block and it's made by chebby, same thing

truly this, it revolutionized the industry and popularized the V8, even today they can still make power.

retard
yes

with a shit tonne of work
>efi
>ohv conversion
>barely pushes 300rwhp
youtu.be/HGkkck1WBso
its good for a incredibly old engine but a stock ls craps over it

youtube.com/watch?v=_5ZiUsz9MFo
youtube.com/watch?v=G0P9AZ_fG9U
youtube.com/watch?v=gJu2nEAtPeE
youtube.com/watch?v=oeps18chvC0

DZ302 is glorious.

Different firing order, not an SBC

this is pretty impressive i dunno why everyone shits on the n/a ls especially these junkyard ones

youtu.be/qRtgUuYFX0M
>500 replies later
next thing your gonna say is that it copied the ford 35x

replies later
>next thing your gonna say is that it copied the ford 35x
The LS based GM small-block engine is the primary V-8 used in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. Introduced in January 1995, it is a "clean sheet" design with only rod bearings and bore spacing in common with the longstanding Chevrolet small block V8 that preceded it as the basis for GM small-block V8s.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_based_GM_small-block_engine

Not the same engine, right from the horse's mouth.

Just gonna post ls because carbie retards and ford babbies cant handle

youtube.com/watch?v=VsmbbuSq9m0
>mfw the ls is 22 years old this month
happy bday ls! Your the most swapped engine in the world and we love you, dont listen to the autistic benchracers on here.

REMINDER

THE LS IS 100% FROM TOP TO BOTTOM A FORD ENGINE.
1. FORD FIRING ORDER.
2. FORD OILING SYSTEM.
3. FORD CROSS BOLT MAINS.
4. FORD COOLING SYSTEMS.
5. FORD 10 BOLT HEAD PATTERN.
6.FORD CENTERED THRUST BEARING.
7. FORD SYMMETRICAL INTAKE AND EXHAUST PORTS COMBINED WITH FORD 427 HIGH RISER PORTS.
8. SODIUM FILLED V ALVES (FORD RACE VALVE).
9. BEEHIVE VALVE SPRINGS (FORD COSWORTH).
10. FORD ANGLED PLUG.
THE LS BLOCK IS A COPY OF THE 351W WITH THICKER WEBBING.

>ls is 22 years old this month

When is it's Birthday?

Why does pic related attract so many boomers and bogan redneck retards? Most of them actually lose hp just for cosmetics over regular efi hahha

hahah thank you i miss that pasta

Ironic how it took GM to fix fords design to make it good.
no concrete date but wiki says around 1995 it started as a clean sheet design and was first put in the 1997 Vette so its a 22 year old design released 20 years ago

Aesthetics

>no straight 8 yet
Mercedes M-25, pushing the Mercedes W-125 to a topspeed over 320km/h (200mph+) in 1934.
Generating 570Ps from 5,66L featuring DOHC, dry sump oil system an a roots blower.
Overall weight of the W 125 beeing 744kg.

Doesnt look aesthetic to me but i grew up with 80's and 90's efi so i dont put carborated crap up on a mantle like some oldfags

>Your the most swapped engine in the world and we love you, dont listen to the autistic benchracers on here.
Nobody cares, this argument is about whether it's a true SBC or not and it's not.

dem balance issues
they could have got more power by going with a new design

There weren't balance issues, it was a smooth running engine until you pushed it hard.
Rebuilt bonneville straight 8s have been known to run to like 7k, even then they're built for low range torque.

flatheads are rubbish
olds and the ohv rocket were what changed everything

oops I was thinking of the w125

>Nobody cares, this argument is about whether it's a true SBC or not and it's not.
i dont care, apples and oranges

This one

>olds and the ohv rocket were what changed everything
Nowhere near as much as the flattie.

out of the V8 cars i have actually driven, this one

3UZ-FE

302s arent even good

u got it familam

>he doesn't realize that Chrysler was tops in the 60s

Imagine a 5.2 liter DOHC straight 8 with cross-flow heads and non-siamese ports and MPI.

Chrysler, the conservative car company was the only one innovating in the mid 50's to late 60's.

Millions made, and still being made to this day for a reason.

>he doesn't have a 350

>Chrysler, the conservative car company was the only one innovating in the mid 50's to late 60's.

GM and Ford btfo Chrysler when it came to delevopment in that period

>still being made to this day

300hp is a lot

>iron
>limited horsepower
>weak block
>limited modern aftermarket

Outperformed by the Windsor as the lightest most compact small block, outperformed in power by any modern LS or 3rd gen ''Hemi''.

>pigfat
>10 foot timing chain
That thing was so bad Ford never even homologated it for Nascar, delegated it to dragracing, and even there it eventually lost out to the 2nd gen Hemi.

Strictly speaking, the LS is the 3rd generationSBC, although the LS1 is 345ci, not a true 350.

Better still, imagine a Roots-blown 2.0 DOHC straight eight made out of two superbike engines - and put it in a Type 35.

None of them beat the Hemi, Mopar ruled both strip and Nascar. With the kind of budget Chrysler had compared to the other two, they pulled off a lot of development.

The DZ302, Boss 302 and Mopar 304 all had about a 4''bore and a 3'' strokeon pretty low deck blocks, so they had low piston speeds, and pretty short pushrods. Short pushrods means less valvetrain inertia, and combined with a host of other tricks, those things could run 8000+RPM in 1970. That's high for any V8 nowadays, nevermind for 1970.

When Ford tells you they need a flat plane crank to get the Modular up to 8250RPM - you should start doubting some of their modern engineering. For an even funnier story, Honda made a 4v pushrod motorcycle (CX500) that could make 9500RPM - in 1978. You'd think a 2016 Voodoo would go well over 10K RPM, but somehow, the Big Three disappoint all of us.

VORTEC LQ9

>best anything
>carburetor
boomers get out

>I'm incapable of EFI swaps: the post

uhh what Ford dominated NASCAR in the 60s and the Cammer killed Hemis

The Cammer was banned before it saw a racetrack tard.

no it wasnt you fucktard

it was used in the NHRA (and kicked the Hemi ass)

Boss 429 was their NASCAR engine (and it kicked Hemi ass)

if it was the best it wouldn't need any changes

It's true.

I literally cant.

Op was not a faggot today

427 did for a few years but was clearly outstripped by the Hemi - hence the development of the Cammer.

And then Ford saw that the Cammer was bad - heavy as balls. Somehow, a OHC iron big block isn't good for taking corners, even in NASCAR, at 150+ MPH. The three foot timing chain certainly wouldn't have helped reliability. Later, Ford practically gave the engines away to dragracers, and they have to adcance one cam as to compensate for the timing chain stretch in the bastard. They cost about 2000 dollars back in the day - which could have gotten you a nice new car.

Want more evidence that the Cammer was bad? They never even used it in the GT40.

[citation needed]
Ford could have homologated it, like they did with the Boss 429 - yes, even by having Kar Kraft install 500 into heavily, heavily modified Mustangs, and then running it in the Torino Talladega. Even with that retarded homologation process, they could have homologated the Cammer, but they didn't, and for good reason - see above.

Also, funny how Ford basically threw NotHemi (TM) heads on the new 385, desperately called them Crescent/Shotgun, and then got the port sizes all wrong (like they did with Boss 302) which removed a lot of performance.

Hemi kicked Cammer ass in dragracing. do you see any Cammers on Top Fuel events nowadays? Me neither.

Between 1964 and 1972, Mopar won 6 NASCAR championships, Ford won 3. The Boss 429 only won 1 season (1969), and then got outpaced by the Hemi again.

Cammer was not good at nhra top fuel. The heads couldn't take the heat and there were too many curves in the intake port to make power at the highest level. Read the take 5 interview on hot rod magazine from November of 16. It's got a fantastic interview with the man who raced and developed them in top fuel in the era

>302 outperformed by the windsor
>302 outperformed by itself

As a Ford guy, the dz302 is a badass engine

302 Boss, not 302 Windsor. The SBF family is confusing. Basically, the Boss was a Windsor with Cleveland heads (there's more to it), and that made it a lot wider since the Cleveland heads have splayed valves.

>got the port sizes all wrong
>was being strangled to death by a single holley 735 cfm carburetor

>[citation needed]
macsmotorcitygarage.com/2014/08/21/cammer-the-real-story-of-the-legendary-ford-427-sohc-v8/
The Cammer was designed for NASCAR, who banned it before it ever saw a track.
>The first public mention of the Cammer V8 appeared in the Daytona Beach Morning Journal on Feb. 23, 1964. Beaten up at Daytona all month by the new 426 Hemi engines from the Dodge/Plymouth camp, Ford officials asked NASCAR to approve an overhead-cam V8 the company had in the works. But as the Journal reports here, NASCAR boss Bill France turned thumbs down on Ford’s proposed engine. France regarded overhead cams and such to be European exotica, a poor fit with his down-home vision for Grand National stock car racing.

M156 family

Mopar did not do that well in NASCAR

NASCAR manufacturer champions of the 60s

1960-61: Chevy
1962: Pontiac
1963-1969: Ford

Dodge won 1970 and 1971

>Cammers on Top Fuel events nowadays? Me neither.

retard logic

Cammers kicked the Hemis ass in funny cars
yet Cammers dominated the funny car scene and did well in stockers

>[citation needed]
"The first public mention of the Cammer V8 appeared in the Daytona Beach Morning Journal on Feb. 23, 1964. Beaten up at Daytona all month by the new 426 Hemi engines from the Dodge/Plymouth camp, Ford officials asked NASCAR to approve an overhead-cam V8 the company had in the works. But as the Journal reports here, NASCAR boss Bill France turned thumbs down on Ford’s proposed engine. France regarded overhead cams and such to be European exotica, a poor fit with his down-home vision for Grand National stock car racing."

From here. Includes pic of the "Journal" article

I believe that. I just mean when it comes to the top flight cars, there's a reason the hemi reigned supreme.

Also everyone complaining about chain stretch, most users ran timing gears and the chain didn't stretch that much

>427 did for a few years but was clearly outstripped by the Hemi
Oh, and you know what it took for the Ford 427 to keep up with the Hemi on the superspeedways?

Dual quads. That's what Nascar offered as balance for the Hemi, and it worked. Ford's dopey old FE keeping up with the vaunted Hemi with just a little more carburetion.

FWIW Bill France regretted even allowing the Hemi.

I've seen that article. Nowhere does it have a direct claim from Bill France himself that it wasn't in the spirit of NASCAR or something like that, it's only the secondary source (MMC Garage) claiming this.

Here's my take on it:
>Ford and GM complain about Hemi dominance
>NASCAR installs homologation rule
>Ford develops Cammer
>Go to NASCAR officials
>?????
>?????
>Ford homologates 429 instead

We'll never know, but what I think happened is that they were told to homologate, and failed to do so. Probably because the Cammer has it's flaws - otherwise, we would've seen it in the GT40.

Still, I'd love to build a GT40 replica with a Cammer and Hillborn stack injection - show the world what could have/should have been.

My bad, I confused driver and mfg. championships (couldn't find the latter).

Cammers only killed it in Funny Cars because Ford ordered the earliest funny car bodies, and because Ford gave away a lot of Cammers to dragracers at that exact point in time. TBy the mid-70's, they were mostly gone from dragracing, but the Hemi was there to stay to this very day.

Bill France should've let the pushrod big blocks keep playing in a lower league, and allow manufacturers to go balls to the wall in the actual high-end racing. We never got a Plymotuh Superbird, powered by a DOHC Hemi, screaming across a superspeedway next to a Cammer-powered Talledega because of that bastard.

True hemispherical design is inferior to a quenched semi hemispherical design btw

Oh, and for what it's worth, my favorite ever Funny Car is Jack Chrisman's Mercury Comet Roadster. Not only is that my exact favorite generation of Comet, but that guy got a Cammer and a brand-new Funny Car body directly through Ford - and then cut it up so it was even lighter. He kicked ass with it, and then his parachute failed to deploy in1966, he crashed, and the thing burned to the ground. Mercury was apparently so butthurt about him cutting their brand new racecar up (one of the first of it's kind), ruining the marketing stunt, that they told the fire crew to stand down, and let it burn.

This, but mostly because domed pistons (to keep the compression ratio up) suck balls.

shut it down

>not multispheric combustion chamber with a massive quench pad
shiggums mcbiggums

>not a patented turbulent 2 stroke rotary engine

the rules dont allow for the Cammer to run any more or the 429 for that matter if someone wanted to

people stopped using the Cammer and started using the Boss instead

sure it wasnt the top fuel beast like a Hemi but it kicked ass in stockers and funny cars until the rules changed in the 2000s

well thats some shit
never heard of it either

and its not like I dont like some Hemi cars

Wow thanks for the share user truly impressive

This is true but I almost never hear anyone refer to LS engines (and variants) as "SBC". They just call them LS.

Just gonna put this here for yous

>2.0
lol no thanks.

ls3

the best one if the one you build yourself

meme engine
the boss 9 beats it in every way except for the "valvetrain: sohc" part of the brochure

by the way, rate my porting

boss 9 doesnt have side oiler mains. the FE is a perfectly good block.

Thats not a Cleveland.

yes, thank god.

Of course, It's not a piece of shit.

>Honda makes a V8?
>That must be for that pickup they make.
>Oh, that engine is race only
>What's the pickup use then?
>3.5L V6
>That's not bad, I guess...
>Transverse
>wat
>Front wheel drive
>WHAT

>TRANSVERSE
>FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
>PICKUP TRUCK

meh. Dodge did the FWD pickup thing better with the Dodge Rampage back in the 1980s.
>tfw no turbo 2 Rampage

looks like a fucking gundam