Do schools kill creativity?

Do schools kill creativity?

ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=education#t-427313

Idk lol

Are TED talks the most pseudointellectual and useless amalgam of words of our century?

Yes.

I don't why people love this speech so much. Does he really not see there's a good reason why more practical subject areas like math, science and english are held above dance? don't put your kid in a dance school, give them dance lessons outside of school

That award goes to you.

Schooling is shit in the US. They need to prepare children for real life. Instead, kids are often thrown out of high school with little idea of what the fuck they want to do with their life. Their self absorbed parents just assume everything will be alright, leaving their kids directionless.
Out schools aren't destroying creativity, they're destroying lives.

and then do drugs and sell them and end up in jail thus increasing the american prison population at this rate

Who started the standardized testing meme? They destroyed an entire generation.

He's saying that there both important and one shouldn't be favored over the other.
I'm autistic and i was forced into a bunch of math classes because "aspie's are good with coding and computers" but in reality i hated math and i still do. I wanted to pursue stuff more in the realm of history and philology but i was told by my parents and special ed teachers that it was a waste of time.

people who wanted workers

At least testing gets you into higher education.
But due to our shit school system a kid can't know for certain whether thats the best option for them or not. This is why colleges are flooded now, kids either go because fuck knows what else they'll do, or they're pushed into it by parents.

I'll probably just become a law fag. Like I have any other viable choice now.

They were right.

bump

>probably
>Like I have any other viable choice now.

>law is a last resort
Oh boy, are you in for a fun shock.

Yes, but then they were never designed to foster creativity. So it's not any great surprise that they stifle it.

Man fuck off we're on the history board, teaching history might not make money but it's what I wanna do.

teaching kids to read, use math, etc is much more important than fucking dancing.

My grandpa thought me how to read, and how to solve math problems up to 7th grade curriculum when i was 4.
Coincidentally, math became a tedious boring grind that i hated from 8th grade onward.

bump

bump

If this is the one I'm thinking of, I really liked his definition of intelligence as the ability to produce something valued by society.

Yes, and also no. I honestly believe in the Renaissance man as an ideal: skilled in arts, science, and the humanities.

I'm studying engineering by the way, as was my dream from a very young age.

plebs affording to send their children to school killed the education system

school, and more importantly, higher education was ruined by the fact that as time passed, it became less important and influential, both because more people attend it, and because the standards lower, """"unintentionately"""" to an extent, because of the higher number of students that need to be on the same pedestal despite immense differences

this then means, that while the pleb just sent their kid to work, and the kid would end up living your average proletariat life, his job mostly being related to physical labour

Now however, the pleb sends their misdirectioned (children were as misdirectioned in the past too, not denying) kid to college where he will either learn something shoddily and earn shit for something he doesn't like just because his parents and he too thought he'd become "someone" by attending higher education, or he will be one of the many who go to meme courses because they're easier and then have no job

this then fucks up the economy, because there's few laborers or industrial workers that sustain the economy and production, and too many jobless members of intelligentsia

tl;dr the education system is just fine yet, school doesn't kill creativity, being a pleb and a lazy cunt who doesn't have interest in anything kills creativity and contributes to a dumbed-down version of the current education system, which now must adapt to your lazy ass and your parents full of expectations who are also as lazy and shallow as you are

Perhaps the government should just mandate the total number of places allocated to each field each year at university, basically setting the desired ratios of different types of trained professionals.

Probably not a good idea tho.

Learning is something that is fun for people. Discovering new things is satisfying. Schools actively make something that is fun - learning new things - the most tedious task possible. School takes all the drive a child has, and crushes it into dust, then shoves pointless knowledge that they will only ever use in tests into their head. I am lucky that I managed to hold onto my love of reading and history throughout school, unfortunately most emerge with any interest they have in subjects taught in school completely destroyed.

It can't be that bad.

Whats the alternative? Hope I get a job in business or something I guess.
Or an hero.

>"if you have smarter students we'll give you more money" t. gov't
>but how do we measure student intelligence?
And this is how standardized testing came to be.

And I want to sit at home, masturbate, and watch Netflix.

But so many people end up doing shit they don't really want to do that it makes sense to give everyone a basic education in practical skills such as reading, math, computers, and an understanding of basic engineering/scientific principles because most jobs (and lots of life) will involve reading, some math, computers, and a basic understanding of engineering/scientific principles.

They may not be the ONLY things that matter, but if you can't get them right, even the best arts/humanities education in the world isn't going to help the majority of your students, as most of them are not going to be making a living in those relatively small areas of life- especially if they can't read well, can't do math, are shitty with computers, and don't have any practical skills.

>implying that family status in society is correlated with intelligence, creativity, wit, mental fortitude, etc.

Though I can't argue with the idea that large numbers of students bog down the learning process, simply because, there aren't enough educators around to attend to the needs of all students present in the classroom.

It's a perplexing issue, there is no single definitive answer, due to the nature of complex systems: such as education.