Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums

I am a mechanical engineer (have a masters, a post graduation and a bachelors in renewable energy engineering) living in London, working as a project manager.

I'm not all that into engineering and think that there's a lot more money to be made in finance related jobs.

After applying for a few dozen jobs - and not getting any answers back - I'm thinking of doing some sort of masters in Finance that may, hopefully, open some doors.

I'm thinking of the following: lsbf.org.uk/programmes/postgraduate/finance/ma

Any thoughts? Is it a big mistake? Is it a meme?

TLDR: How to get a job in a hedge fund or similar without financial background.

bumpity

What about a consulting job? Maybe you can persuade your current employeer to finance you an MBA? Don't just apply to firms, talk to different HR departments about your plans.

Not enough experience for consulting.

And I'm not really familiar on the way the financial industry is structured. All I know is folks in hedge funds seem to be making a boat load and I want some of it.

>red pill me on the £ industry

here is your redpill:
>most hedge funds make money from comissions, not from being good at trading
>the number of professional traders is decreasing, while trading algorithms flourish
>your qualification seems to be quite good and there are other options to just sitting at a computer all day as an engineer you should look into

All an engineer does is spend his day in the harsh, wet, cold environment of construction sites. Surrounded by eastern Europeans and noisy machines. Walking up and down incomplete buildings, breading dust and getting dirty all day long.

Compared to this, sitting at a desk, wearing a suit and smelling good all day long is a much better prospect. Specially when you're making considerable more money for it.

Bottom line is: I don't particularly like what I do. And while I don't hate it either, if I need to do something, might as well be something that pays properly.

At the same time I'm afraid of spending 2 years getting a masters in a financial subject only to land a job as an analyst that spends his entire life pouring over the minutiae of a company's income sheet and order balance etc.

I guess I just need an industry's insider to talk me through a typical day.

>At the same time I'm afraid of spending 2 years getting a masters in a financial subject only to land a job as an analyst that spends his entire life pouring over the minutiae of a company's income sheet and order balance etc.

You need to serve your time doing bitch work before you can have a good job in finance.

Bruh, don't confuse London Business School (LBS) or the London School of Economics (LSE), which are top schools, with the school you posted which is private, for profit school which had its visa issuing rights suspended by the government. Besides, if you're living in London, why bother with an online course?

Convenience - plus it is a lot cheaper.

Tuition on the schools you mentioned are 25k+. This one is 7.5k, because it takes place online, I'm guessing.

>All an engineer does is spend his day in the harsh, wet, cold environment of construction sites. Surrounded by eastern Europeans and noisy machines. Walking up and down incomplete buildings, breading dust and getting dirty all day long.

I thought you were a mechanical engineer, not a civil engineer? Because that's not what most mech. engineers do (at least here in germany)

Heating and cooling pipework and plant still needs to be installed as the building is being assembled. Hence the mechanical part.

>I guess I just need an industry's insider to talk me through a typical day.

Ibanker here

10 AM: wake up
12 AM: go to work, got my own office near the top of 30 st mary axe, overlooks the thames, shit so cash
12 30: finish checking Veeky Forums, secretary comes in and blows me sometimes, offers me an after dinner mint to freshen myself after eating a whole pizza to myself

13:00 finally decide to start doing actual work, press a few buttons on the keyboard to start the autotrader algo, sit back watch it do its thing while I watch simpsons dvds

14:00 algo turns in a solid profit of about £5000 for the day, i call it a day, kiss the secretary good bye and retire once more to my pall mall penthouse flat

All I did was do a couple years finance with open university

what the fuck are you doing engineering shit you fucking looser why dont you get a job like mine fucking looser oh yeah thats right cos you sit around banging your spanner against machines like some retarded chimpanzee what the fuck you're a beta cuck piece of shit and basically i earn more money in a fucking minute than you do in a day, so next time you come on here chatting shit just remember that your not getting a fucking look in on my action because in order to make it big at finance like me you need to know how to perform reverse spread option bidding on assets in contango, know what any of that means? prolly not and that just says it all because we get 14 year old interns who know more than you and earn more money than you in their fucking lunch break while they sip oj outta their juice box listen to justin bieber and sit ther ewith their feet up on the desk smoking hot onions out of their sweet rectum holes and guess what i sniff it all in, I sniff that sweet onion gas straight outta their sweet little anusses and i get real fuckin hype in that zone you fucking piece of shit i get real fucking high and nothing can stop me form being this cool this clean this much of a bad ass machine

10/10 post

kek

is that last part pasta? shit was so cash

bumpo

If your issue is that you think education is the key to success, you are already going down the wrong path.

The "I can't get ____ job without ____ degree" is bullshit.

I make $130k/yr and I never finished my degree. I worked my ass off and got a position that requires a Masters degree. I don't even have my 4yr degree in engineering.

My advice:
>Stay in Project Management
>Move laterally

Project management sucks. I did that for 3 years. But it's a great position for lateral moves. Mechanical engineering becomes very specialized, making lateral moves risky. PM is decent because while the business specifics change, the models are easier to adjust to.

Don't reshuffle the deck to pay the university Jew.

Move laterally to where?

OP here, bumping for help.

Are you retarded? No one is hiring no experience fuckers in London post brexit in finance.

Finance is a meme the transition it would take could see you set up your own consultancy probably and make comparable if not more money as well as having the perks of autonomy and not working in finance which is boring and awful

I'm 2 years into engineering. Don't have anywhere near enough knowledge/connections to setup a consultancy business.

I take your point on finance as an industry though.

>2 years experience
>"project manager"
So you have no actual engineering experience?