Favorite Engine Thread

Let's play a game, Veeky Forums.
List your favorite engine that you have actually owned or driven.
Pic related is mine.
>pros: good power, torque, very reliable, quiet, smooth power band
>cons: gas mileage

It's a toss up between the EDZ turbo, B16A2, and my current Cyclone 35

L59 5300 Vortec

Pros:
Bulletproof
Can make stupid amounts of power

Cons:
Underpowered (not when it was new)
Gas Mileage

LC2

After 100k or so they're toast and they're extremely finicky when being rebuilt. :^)

Aerojet Rocketdyne RS-25
what other engine operates at a steady 104% (or 111% if you wanna pass that space truck)

Ford 4.6 Modular 3V

I know, it isn't the Coyote
I know, it only pushes ~300 HP

The thing is, I love wrenching on my car just because everything is easy to work on and easy to reach.

It does not sound half bad, and with the mods I currently have it has decent kick.

The 4.6 is a good engine, apart from the few years that had the same issues with the spark plugs like the 5.4. Other than that, very reliable, good quality engines.

Honda F20C
Mazda 13B REW
Mazda 20B REW
Nissan RB26DETT
BMW S62B50
BMW S85B50
BMW S14B23
BMW S70/2 (McLaren F1)
Honda B16 (Spoon Sports)

Not using the cheaper and less complex rs68

>disposable
>not human rated
>only 6 degree gimbal range

You like an engine were the spark plugs break off inside the cylinder head and you have to fuck around to get them out?

For me its the 5.0L Coyote. It just makes my OCD happy. The even 5.0L Displacement, DOHC, Great hp/L, great for tuning/making big power, VERY reliable, very robust, lightweight, great in any application.

I will admit the LSx series of engines does everything the 5.0L Coyote does but better, but I still prefer the 5.0L Coyote. Its a bit more technologically advanced which means you can't really fault it. And now they are going to update it!

>$12k for a balanced B16B with a B18 crank

lmao

RB25DET in my stagea.
550cc injectors, walbro, hiflo turbo with steel wheels, extractors and hiflow cat etc etc running 16psi for fun, 10psi for commuting.

Pros: Tonnes of torque to haul the fat ass around, sounded fantastic and drove smooth as fuck.

Cons: So. Much. Petrol. So much. On a 125 scooter I was using about $20 petrol a month, with the stag it was $70/w. Granted, with the scoot I could filter but that only cut out 25m of standstill traffic per day.

After '07 the plug breakage wasn't an issue anymore. 5.0 is a good engine, I just have never owned or driven one.

Hoonda K20

Might be a little slow off the line but once the turbo spools up it's a pocket rocket.

So much plastic, jesus christ.

engine covers like that make me convinced that audi people shave all their body hair and wear fart suppression underwear

Be glad it isn't Lexus tier

Holy fuck.

mind you those are not stock

I was upset with this much plastic in my engine bay, once.

pic related is the best I've seen in a modern car short of muscle cars

derp

How long have you had it?

If you don't like the 13B, we can't be friends.

Pros: fits in your mom's ass, decent power for shit displacement, few moving parts, doesn't catastrophically 'blow' in the same way a piston will though can still get really fucked, will generally deliver power until it drops dead however

Cons: torque, only last around 100k miles between rebuilds, requires decent upkeep/owner with more than 6 brain cells, shitposting busriders who think they know more about the engine than owners

The one and only.

stupid fucking rotary poster

DAILY REMINDER

right on time, friendo

Fuck off you worthless retard.
All you ever do is shitpost to the extreme like a braindead nigger. You don't know a single fucking thing about cars. You just get on here to act like a fucknut and shit up every post on here.
Die you stupid slut.

WEW LAD

You clearly don't understand rocket engine gimbals

1. New hemi.
2. 5.3L LS (until the water pump went out on me at 250k miles
3. SRT-4 Neon turbo 2.4.
4. Nissan VQ30
5. 2JZ-GE.

For a fucking Honda.

>not when it was new
Blowby is a bitch, ain't it?
Hone your block, install new pistons and rings, clean your valves while you're at it.
Maintain it properly from now on.

Volksvagen's EA827/MD engine series (knowin in Brazil as Volkswagen AP). For its reliability and tolerance to abuses such as prolonged oil changes. You can literally rebuild the whole engine with 50% of the price you'd pay to rebuild any other engine, for example.

Since it was new in 05

It's been maintained but 295hp in a 6000lb land barge feels like it's struggling. Only thing that shit itself was the trans which I just replaced

AMC I6
Parts until Ragnarok
Carb or fuel injection
Stout as fuck stock, can make any reasonable amount of power you want and some unreasonable amounts
AMC means All Makes Compatible for a reason
Takes abuse and neglect like a battered wife
C H E A P

>GE
But why

Muh turbo swap or fully siik JDM p plater

This.

LS1
>pros:makes a shit load of power, does so efficiently, flat torque curve that comes in almost immediately, lightweight, incredible aftermarket support
>cons:?

Honorable mentions:
B230 / B230FT
>pros:dead reliable, runs forever, decent power when turbo, easy to do anything on
>cons: meh gas mileage

Mfw I'm gonna cam mine and try and get to magical 400rwhp+ land

1 J Z 2 B H

Because I didn't need a GTE for that specific car.

Or my manual swapped IS300 Sportcross.

With a few bolt ons and a tune.

4AGE 20V BlackTop no doubt. Still a mad rotary fanboy here, 20b sounds SOOOO sweet. i do like the RB20 sound. So.. I currently have a 2ZZGE swapped corolla and..

Pro : 192whp valve lift and BWAAAAAAAAAH , good power for a 1000kg car,

cons: Oil consuption. poor aftermarket parts already on europe.

hyundai alpha everyday of the week boys
>first engine they ever made without mitsubishi standing over them
>wont ever die even if you deliberately try to kill them
>common as fuck
>overengineered because they didnt know what the fuck they were doing
>can take boost with a thick headgasket
cons
>drinks fuel
>gutless
>no vvt
>usually treated like shit because it's so cheap all the white niggers buy them and avoid maintenance

>The even 5.0L displacement
Wew lad. It's 4.9L. Ford rounded wrong because of "heritage", even though the 302 Windsor's weren't 5.0L either.

Seconding.
It's also the only engine I've ever owned, so it gets that too.

OK, let's see what my engine looks like at 100K compared to your Jap shitbox. (Protip: it will be fucking spotless).

Saturn LLO (dohc 1.9L)
Pros:made from 91-02 and got insanely good gas mileage
reliable as fuck
quiet
easy to work on

cons:
Not enough power. 124hp122tq and so often you find yourself having to redline to get up a hill
drinks oil 1qt every 1200 miles

Gas mileage always impressed me. I was 37-40mpg mixed driving and 44 highway.

'02 Suzuki J18A

-122hp and a decent amount of torque at pretty low rpm's.
-Low compression so it doesn't sound like a ricey ass Honda and doesn't give a fuck about gas quality or dirty oil.
-Glorious cast iron block and timing chain.
-Low comp means they handle boost very well.

Cons

-Bad fuel mileage, ~12l/100 driving like a normal person.
-Uses a bit of oil.
-Heavy and not as strong as some of the other J series engines.

>List your favorite engine that you have actually owned or driven.
M273

'95 Lexus 1UZ-FE

Pros
-it's good
-p good torque
-doesn't break
-Very smooth despite advanced mileage
-it sucks my cock off and I cum

Cons
-It'll never be able to make power like an LS

56 Oldsmobile 324

Pros: Really good at holding pallets down.
It's Green and says Rocket on it

Cons: Does not run
Spiders live in the cylinder bores currently

EJ257 in the '06 STi I had for 6 years.

I went from a 16-sec Honda to an upper-12's Subaru in less than 6 months. It fucking blew me away. After turning up the boost and putting in a high-flow cat, it was just crazy: the turbo would pull you into your seat and you'd blast all the way to redline with that sweet wooshing noise. This 2.5L fucker, mated with the STi drivetrain, got me over 170mph several times.

I even could manage 31mpg (no shit) on certain 55mph routes. Low-teens in fuel mileage when giving her the ol' W-O-T though. If you stayed out of the boost, it drove like any economy sedan (with a rumble)... But activating boost was something you would not stop until you realized you were going 140+ in a 35mph zone.

I wished that the turbo had an external wastegate (if your exhaust was too free-flowing [ had no cat ] then it would overboost or "boost creep" because the internal wastegate couldn't compensate).

Also it was sensitive to warming-up (you'd get mild vibrations and piston-slap if you drove it right after starting it cold).

That said, I maintained it exactly according to Subaru specs and never had one goddamn issue in 75k miles. I also datalogged it religiously and charted the tables.

>Audi 2.2T AAN 20v
>Pros:
I own one
Very little turbo lag in stock form
Bullet proof as fuck
Glorious sounds
World renowned family of engines
Uses simple technology, not overly complicated
Oem turbo is also bullet proof, have seen multiple examples of going over 300k without being replaced, many people go from 16psi to 21-22psi and never have problems (wrxfags gtfo)
Oem waste gate is external and 30mm
Engines not to heavy "AAN Engine code 5 cylinder Engine Block with Pistons, rods, crankshaft, Oil pump assembly, oil pickup and oil pan, but without the following: oil filter housing, crank damper pulley and flywheel. 192 lbs"

>Cons:
Gas mileage is quite poor if you can't stay out of boost
Timing belt (this could be a pro as timing belts are lighter then chains reducing parasitic lose)
Viscous clutch fan
Oem turbo is pretty small at most capable of around 300hp
Oem turbo manifold is not the best design
>pic related

mine doesnt drink a qt every 1200 miles. mine is a low mileage jy with a dingle berry hone and new rings

The 3 inch main Pontiac V8s will always have a place in my heart.

>pros: pretty serious baseline engines no matter what trim you got 'em, 1.6 ratio rockers, good valve angle, intake is airgap by design, factory windage trays, good combustion chamber design
>cons: the aftermarket is there but rather expensive, don't like how the water pump connects to the coolant crossover, getting headers off in the car is a PitA

This

Turbo Barra.

Pros: Turbo, Modern inline 6, Decently reliable and surprisingly economical for what it was
Cons: Needs a tune to unlock its potential, Ford dialed it back so it wouldn't flog their flagship V8.

>Bore x Stroke 3.63x3.65 in 92.2x92.7 mm
>Displacement 302 cu. in/ 4,951 cc
It is, literally a 5.0 litre to one decimal place.

Driven?
2004 SL600 V12

Owned?
BMW N55