Did Ireland actually save civilization?

According to Thomas Cahill, they did.

>Did Arabs actually save civilization?
>According to Abdul Muhammad bin Abdulrahman, they did.

They transcribed a fuck-ton of Greco-Roman works that would have otherwise been lost. They aren't called the Land of Saints and Scholars for nothing.

Having said that I'd be cautious about any book on Ireland penned by a man called Cahill.

>Did Numidians actually save civilization?
>According to Oogabooga Dingdong, they did.

So what if those guys actually had a point?
Do you dismiss it without even analyzing what they say?

Firstly, how do you define "civilisation"?

They don't exist you retard

That wasn't the point dumbass.

Single handedly? No
Our scholars did make a huge contribution to the preservation of human knowledge however

I don't think any Irishman's head is big enough to claim we saved the world, we pulled our weight and did what needed done and we'll do it again if need be.

Thomas Cahill is a fraud, the book is baloney.

That said, the Irish were certainly punching well above their weight from the 5th century until the 12th. At times basically every renowned scholar on the continent was Irish. Look at any theological crisis or ecclesiastical controversy during that time and there are probably Irish people on both sides.

It got to the point where in 9th century France, a way to describe confusing, esoteric theology was "pultes Scotorum", which means "Irish porridge".

>that pic
Saved

He takes an interesting topic, reduces it to an /int/ tier meme and wrote a book about it. What a cunt. Unless it's an extremely clickbaity title on a fairly decent book, in which case fair enough.

>It got to the point where in 9th century France, a way to describe confusing, esoteric theology was "pultes Scotorum", which means "Irish porridge".

>It got to the point where in 9th century France, a way to describe confusing, esoteric theology was "pultes Scotorum", which means "Irish porridge".
That is false though, it was actually meant derogatorily.

Since we all seem to be agreed that the answer is 'no', can we have a thread about the real early Christian Ireland? The whole 400-1169 AD period is amazing to me; the society, the monasteries, the art, the growth of kingdoms, the settlements, Ogham script, settlement in Scotland and Wales, viking towns, etc. I barely understand it all really.

Absolutly

>not taking the green pill and realizing the the micks control the worlds shadow goverment.

>The whole 400-1169 AD period is amazing to me; the society, the monasteries, the art, the growth of kingdoms, the settlements, Ogham script, settlement in Scotland and Wales, viking towns, etc.
>tfw it all went to shit and the Irish became eternal cucks
What went wrong?

Anglo Genetics

ALPHA RESULTS

That's rite, boi

Us Anglos are the best. Nobody can fuck with us.

This is actually true. It's a battle between the Jews and ''Celts'' They both have equal footing in the controlling sectors of the west and both want to control the world in it's entirety. The Celtic controllers are the anti-hero's here, the Jews are just plain evil.

did he find his 350 million britbux?

So family guy wasn't actually joking when they said ancient Ireland was actually a pretty advanced place?

Whaddya mean.

you know, for the NHS

>implying the national health service requires you to pay money

>Us Anglos are the best. Nobody can fuck with us.
Anglos got fucked by a small bunch of roaming Askari while UK had the support of France, Belgium, and Portugal.

we haven't left yet, but he might do.

depends on what kind of deal tess can get. if we fully come out of the single market then we'll keep that, but then we lose access to the single market.

some people on /pol/ seem to think we could just join EFTA. i'm not a diplomat though, so i'm not entirely sure how that would go. having a look at the countries already in it, i'm not sure what we'd bring to the table

>allied victory
Your words mean nothing to me.

The Anglos won that one m8.

well no, it's paid for with tax money. that tax money also currently goes to the EU

If you equate "Western European Christianity" with "Civilization", then perhaps.

>you will never be this Veeky Forums

The Irish indeed saved civilization, by absorbing the wrath of the eternal Anglo (Pakistanis and Jamaicans be upon him), like Christ absorbed the punishment God had reserved for humanity.

They did because they can take it. Lesser nations would have crumbled. Not everyone can sustain the blows of the eternal Anglo and live.

Why wouldn't you?

>implying article 50 won't be enacted

It is not those who inflict the most, but those who can endure the most who shall prevail

Ireland is Veeky Forums as eff

WE WERE CIVILIZATION AND SHITE, LADDIE

>Irish military uniforms past 1941-42
>Veeky Forums
Our early World War II uniforms looked alright aside from the ridiculous and shoddy knock-off Stahlhelms but after that it went downhill when we adopted British uniforms.

i didn't imply that at all

is this Veeky Forums having a go at shitposting that doesn't involve religion?

let's be honest, most of the classics are objectively shit.

Well, we got Joyce from Ireland, though he did kind of hate Ireland too

Fair point lad

Wish all soldiers wore the saffrons instead of just bandsmen

>though he did kind of hate Ireland too
I think there's more to it than that. From reading his political essays I think he really loved Ireland. He loved what Ireland was, but hated what other nationalists wanted it to be. I don't think this is because he hated Gaelic revivalism or Celtic identity politics in themselves, but because they drew upon the Irish past to form a national identity, whereas Joyce was perfectly happy with Ireland in the form he knew it.

That's an interesting take on it. I wonder if his life had not been cut so short, would he have returned from his self-imposed exile, or if he would never have returned. IIRC, all of his books have a focus on Ireland, though he lived around Europe mostly and (I think) sort of settled down in Switzerland.

It just seems strange to me that a man would exile himself from a place that his entire work draws upon and that he himself loved.

>the Irish army will never be as Veeky Forums as it was in the 20s

IriIrish had best warrior/soldier clothing fashion in history only Samurai pose a threat to that level of Veeky Forums

But they never really did fight in any major or great wars desu

Brian Boru was slain

>Anglo genetics
>posts Trump who is half German half Scottish

You can find Irish soldiers in pretty much any war fought in Europe from the 8th century to the 17th, and even some others after that like the Spanish Civil War or the Congo Crisis. Even more if you count the massive amount of Irish soldiers in the British army.

They're always the subject of fun historical anecdotes too. There was a contingent of Irish soldiers under a Scottish mercenary captain in the Swedish wars of the 17th century. When they were told they would be fighting Danes, they chimped out and attacked the Danish lines without waiting for orders, shouting about revenge for the Viking attacks in Ireland. Then a similar incident during the 19th century, where when a French general told his Irish soldiers that they would be fighting Saxons, they did all sorts of weird shit after the battle, cutting off their heads and defacing their bodies, confusing them with Anglo-Saxons. I think my favourite of all though is an Irish contingent of soldiers in the Spanish army who started vomitting en masse while on parade, they'd drank a lot of whiskey the night before and weren't used to Spain's heat.

>implying modern day Brits aren't a mix of Germanic and Celtic roots
>implying Germans aren't Germanic
>implying Scots aren't Celtic
>implying Trump's mom isn't a descendant of English rapebabies

>all Germanics ate Germans

Fuck outta here Anglo scum

Make me, continental.

I will ALWAYS rule this world, and even if somehow we lose our grasp on it, our influences shall remain upon it.

Stay cucked and thirsty for my cum!

t. Eternal Anglo

Unlike the earlier Vikings who were just raiders, merchants and occasional settlers mostly interested in slaves, tribute and trade, the Normans were the greatest military machine in Europe at the time and had a feudal system that made land extremely attractive to them. Meanwhile the Irish had always been politically disjointed and militarily backward, so there was no real contest when the Normans invaded. Ireland probably would have been conquered centuries before if anyone competent had actually cared enough to invade.

However, unlike in England where the Normans set up a strong, centralized kingdom and fused with the Anglo-Saxons to create a major European power, in Ireland they were always disunited and never fully controlled the country. In the 14th century famines and plague across Europe hit the Normans much harder than the native Irish and a Gaelic revival saw Irish chieftains take back much of the country into the 15th. The two groups adopted parts of each other's culture to varying degrees in different areas and at different times, but they never fused together like they did in England.

The end result of this was that by the 16th century Ireland was a rural, backward and chaotic patchwork of Norman lords and Gaelic chiefdoms, while England was a strong, united, urbanised and industrious kingdom ready to build a trans-Atlantic Empire, and the latter could thus easily fuck over the former if they ever wanted to. And they usually did want to, initially because of the rebelliousness of the Irish Normans (nominally under English rule but mostly autonomous) and then because of the religious conflict created by the reformation and its failure in Ireland. The 16th and 17th centuries were dominated by bloody religious wars, while the exploitative rule of the 18th and 19th century discouraged the rise of urbanism or industry, leaving Ireland rural and underdeveloped throughout the modern period until the late 20th century.

All of this is simplification.

>fun historical anecdotes
16th and 17th century Ireland. English troops "pacified and civilized" Ireland, where only Gaelic "wild Irish", "unreasonable beasts lived without any knowledge of God or good manners, sleeping in common of their goods, cattle, women, children and every other thing."

One of the more successful soldiers, a certain Humphrey Gilbert, half-brother of Sir Walter Raleigh, ordered that
"the heddes of all those which were killed in the daie, should be cutte off from their bodies... and should bee laied on the ground by eche side of the waie", which effort to civilize the Irish indeed caused "greate terrour to the people when thei sawe the heddes of their dedde fathers, brothers, children, kinsfolke, and freinds on the grounde".

Thinking of cum, how much Jewish semen have you gobbled up today?

You kidding name a major western war and I guarantee you there was hundreds if not thousands of Irishmen fighting in it. Many of the Generals in the Napoleonic wars were Irish, huge portions of the Union army in the US Civil war were Irish. Huge portions of the British army in ww1 and 2 were Irish. The Irish fought literally everywhere.

>how much Jewish semen have you gobbled up today?

Not enough, actually, he says I'll get some extra pounds sterling for sucking his cock on holiday months.

#ProudToBeRothschildProxy

WW1
WW2
Congo Crisis
Battle of Clontarf
Eleven years war
American Civil War
American War for independence
Bosnian War

English civil war
The Troubles
Cromwellian Conquest of Ireland
Various wars in the 14th -17th centuries
Spanish Civil war
Napoleonic wars
Literally every war the British fought in.
I cannot think of any war that did not have thousands of Irish soldiers participating.

When you're able to protect your own little girls from Muslim gangsters you can talk about ruling anything.

>tfw getting fucked over by shitskin immigrants is what we fought for in the end

Feels cucked, old bean.

>the eternal Gael will always prevail

Sources? this is brilliant.

Kek, I'm not even British.

But I do share a deep mourning with them for the loss of their empire.

When you elect an SJW Muslim as the mayor of your capital city, you sort of deserve it desu

The wars that were actually fought in Ireland especially between the Gaelic Irish and the English Parliamentarian army were pretty major for the time hundreds of thousands of dead from combat and disease. Also Battle of Clontarf 10 thousand Irish and Norsemen decking it out for an entire day 6000 dead on the Norse side. And as the other anons have pointed out the Irish were involved in literally every war in the west throughout history.

Fucking Hibernian lies

>the book is baloney.
>Even though i agree with the crux of his argument
???

>did the American Indians save civilization?
>according to Swims with Beavers they did

Did the aboriginals actually save civilization? According to Kagageerra Billinjana, they did.

>Did Indians actually save civilization ?
>According to Poodaloo Djanam Padam Dadam they did

>Did Chinese actually save civilization?
>According to Jang Wang Badang they did

*smack lips*
WAIT THERE A MINUTE
*ferments potatoes*
THE CRAIC IS
*loses 15% on population to blight*
WE WERE SCHOLARS AND SHITE

>Did Anglo-Saxon shits really take over the world?

Some toothless drunk chav wearing a football jersey while smoking bath salts says so!

*smacks lips*
HOLD ON
*immigrates to the US*
NOW HOLD ON LADDIE
*looses Ulster to plantations*
ARE YOU TELLIN ME
*gets partitioned*
THE CRAIC HERE IS
*forms paramilitary splinter group*
WE WERE SCHOLARS AND SHITE?

>mayors should be elected based on their skin color.

This has never been funny, please stop.

Fuck yeah we was, kek. That is what the craic is, anglo.

WE WUZ CELTS

They should be selected on at least being from the country they're representing.

I have this book only bought it for bants. Is it any good?

Don't know as I didn't read it.

And I'm the OP btw.

I feel like this has the potential to be a meme

pretty sure he wasn't representing pakistan.

Some of the Amazon reviews are savage. I particularly like the one written by G M.

Exactly my point.

It's pretty good. Especially for the butthurt it causes.

No.
T. Irish Studies Major.

I am so tired of you Connacht Niggers wailing on about Brian Boru. The man was cut down at the unnaturally young age of 73. How could they have possibly prepared for his death?

And then of course, as soon as he died, everything went back to the way it was, because at no point did he build any infrastructure, establish a bureaucracy or limit the power of his vassals, which is why he died trying to conquer Dublin, a city which he had already conquered 14 years earlier.

I read the book, and he raises a lot of really good points about how a lot of literature got preserved by them for hundreds of years, but the title is very dramatized.

>Unionists start getting triggered
>REPUBLICANS ARE TERRORISTS
>Remind them that more civilians died at the hands of one Unionist Paramilitary alone than all of the combined republican armed forces at the time
>"n-no, they were killing IRA members"
>Remind them that the IRA killed more IRA members than the Unionists did
>"Terrorists! They started a war!"
>Irish people were massively oppressed as second class citizens, and all peaceful movements for equal rights were violently oppressed
>The anti-irish bias in NI was so bad that they literally had to disband and remake the police force so that it hired an equal amount of protestants and catholics
>Unionists will never ever know their own history
>They will never know Ireland's history
>They can't study either without the Unionist movements current opinions and viewpoints being utterly contradicted and made a mockery of
>They literally just support rangers and get pissy until they die or get kneecapped

Tiochdaidh ár lá, feels fucking good lads

maith phoist

its spelt "tiocfaidh" though, unless its different in your dialect

It is spelled that way, I just rushed it a bit and fucked up.

t. Memeing ulsterfag

>did Americans actually save civilization?
>According to Burgerman Budweiser

check out /éire/ on /int/ if you want to learn, its normally up around 4/5pm
t. fellow ulsterfag