To all you drifters in here

To all you drifters in here.
What is the main reason you started to drift.
And what is the main thing you love about it?

Also, unrelated a bit. Is 180sx any good as a starter drift car?

Other urls found in this thread:

tradecarview.com/used_car/nissan/180sx/19723472/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEoTYw_iXSqsGHPhProOoQ5j6qAlxPR_p
speedhunters.com/2016/11/ebisu-retaliates-no-more-missiles/
tradecarview.com/used_car/toyota/soarer/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Your location?

Czech rep

S13 has drift tax, get some E30/34/36/39 beater, weld diff and strip it

Its fun, especially when you get the feel of it and nail a corner. yes 180 is good if you can afford to keep it maintained, they are starting to get pricey for a good manual one . You'll need an lsd and good suspension will help a lot.

I like drifting because it gives you a muscle memory reaction for if the car goes sideways. Very helpful for circuit driving. My advice for building a dedicated drift car is start with something you don't care if it gets totaled. Also something where you can easily get a replacement shell and transfer all your good parts over if it gets totaled. I plan on getting a soarer, shells are $500 in my area.

I dont even drift but have done it a few times

its easily some of the most fun you can have in a car while keeping it relatively cheap

I do the doriftos from time to time. S13s are a great choice for a starter drifting platform because aftermarket parts are cheap and plentiful. The cars themselves are going up in value though.

Drifting is pretty much the most fun you can have in a car. Its hard on cars though so I recommend buying a shit beater until you get good. If you're in the Czech republic your best bet is getting something like an e36 probably. Those are dirt cheap and make like 200whp with exhaust and an intake. Throw some coilovers on it and weld the dif then you are ready to go.

dont mean to hijack, but any recs for dirt cheap setups in southern california? is miata always the answer, they seem a little cheaper than e30s in the area

Miatas are garbage for drifting and just about everything else unless you dump thousands into them

their short wheelbases are just awful for drifting tho

Foxbodies are better but I dont know how cheap they are on that side of the country

I never tried to drift IRL, but I'm planning to. Buying something expensive as your first drift car is probably not a good idea because 1) it's expensive 2) doing so could create some kind of mental block because you don't want to ruin your pricey setup. I will probably buy an E36 or Sierra and weld it then getting as much wheel-time as possible in order to improve my skills and confidence. Then trash it or swap it for something better when it's dead.

The main reason why I want to try drifting is because I'm quite good at it in Forza Motorsport (not Horizon) and I would like to go to the next elevel and give it a try IRL. Being able to control a sliding car is also a useful and fun thing to learn. I already managed to throw go-karts into corners and make them slide a bit (it was wet that day).

Oh and I probably sound like the average drift-bro that you can find in any drift lobbies, but I believe that a lot of us became car enthusiasts thanks to videogames.

Also, any of you drifting an NB Miata ? 1.8 ?

>180sx
most are trashed but its ok. i suspect in a couple years frs/brz/s86 will be treated like the s chassiss

they all seem to be 500 to 1000 more than comparable miatas and likely to be auto. there seem to be a lot more 4th gen; how are those?
also wondering

Get a fox or sn95 mustang, ChrisFix did so and he got everything done for cheap. Check it out

4th gens are literally upated foxbodies

same chassis just more rigid

Where do you guys go to practice? Just dick around on the road? Or find a track?

lots in industrial areas/abandoned spots

>What is the main reason you started to drift.
Looked like fun and got my hands on a free R33 missile at Ebisu, so figured why not

>And what is the main thing you love about it?
Sending your car sideways (sometimes over the crest of a hill) at walls doing ~60 mph and hoping you don't total it is a huge adrenaline rush. And the feeling of finally nailing a line and linking a couple turns is the best.

>Also, unrelated a bit. Is 180sx any good as a starter drift car?
Yes it is.

Uhh, I grew up where there's snow. And winter.

It's just kinda something you do unless you hate fun.

"free r33 missle in ebisu" can we trade?

>car enthusiasts thanks to vidya
Loved played gran turismo, particularly rally or rallycross tracks when I went over to friends. Now I dick about on need for speed (shift and shift unleashed because muh slightly better realistic tuning).
Kick ass at drift, always dominate the drift stages hueee.
Arcades are the best tho. Actually played some wangan night ones against three others recently which was super cool.
>i picked the gtr and won
Fite me.

Guess it's good for understanding how it werks when you don't have a dorifto missile for fucking about. Saved me a few times too.
>be camping
>go cruising round some country roads exploring towns and shit during day
>massive fagit can't turn round a narrow bend in his stupid SUV
>no signs of stopping and he's aiming right at me
>potential tbone inbound, start to turn the wrong way in the bend, aiming offroad
>readjust to stay on the edge and car's ass slides out
>countersteer, drop gear and hold gas
>dodge suv by a hair
>mfw it all clicks as car snaps back straight and I'm out the bend
Barely knew how I saved it but my gf was passenger and was shouting WHAT WAS THAT HOLY SHIT.

>going home after dank times with friends
>weather played tricks and for just one night dropped the temps below freezing
>no snow but everywhere just got coated in ice
>mostly melted by the time I was driving, didn't think much about it after observing car behaviour
>nobody really drove in muh snoozy town so black ice still there
>didn't notice at first, slid out a little and lold as I slowly did a chicane of parked cars, sideways to sideways
>pretty fun but could have just bumped into a car if I didn't know how to control and regain grip
Not been driving for very long so I guess any experience is good right now.

Read his post as: miata suck for drifting if you suck at drifting.

The longer the wheel base, the harder it is to initiate the drift but easier to hold it. Vice versa for shorter wheel bases.

Thinking about getting a pretty 70's mini cooper for drifting

why do so many people use Miatas as drift cars even tho they are trash?

Is it because of Haggard Garage/Ricer Miata

did they make the trend in america of drifting clapped out Miata's a thing even though its a terrible platform to begin with?

Miatas are meme cars people use them for everything because theyre popular now

I played Forza 4 for a very long time, thn tried GT6 and Forza 6 I can also manage to pull out some drifts in Driver SF and other games.

I try not to rely on power and I try to avoid V8s (even if I secretly love them), though it depends of the game physics. Horizon 3 needs much more hp than Forza 4 for example, where I could go full Tsukuba drifting with a 160hp AE86 consistently. Same for GT6.

Actually, I found this today
tradecarview.com/used_car/nissan/180sx/19723472/

That would be wicked sick, to be honest.
But arent minis front wheel drive?

Fun, it's not like you're going to be sponsored anyways
You can skid in a 70HP Miata or a 130HP Volo yacht, power doesn't really matter, weight sorta does
S-chassis will always have more abuse than you can expect plus rice tax unless you find a stock SOHC which is rare. There are other RWD cars out there that you can get for cheap
Started out with a E36 winter beater which are kinda cheap around 3K on CL. You can drift on an open diff but it's pretty dangerous and risky without a welded diff or LSD because losing traction is unpredictable
The closest track is 3 hours away in the next city, industrial areas are pretty empty in the early morning plus snow is the best because you wear less rubber and you can practice skidding at slower speeds easily
Stick restaurant food trays under the rear wheels, leave the e-brake on and you're good

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEoTYw_iXSqsGHPhProOoQ5j6qAlxPR_p

Thanks, mate

I totaled that one senpai

Looks more of a stancer than drifter, if you ever bother getting a car like that it's preferred to have 0 to -1 degree of camber on the rear wheels because you'd want more tire life for more laps also MORE SMOOOOOOKE
Negative camber is mostly for grip, the more negative camber on the rear will make it a bit difficult to drift with ease. On the front it kinda doesn't matter because you'd want your front wheels to have more grip and control.
Did they start enforcing those new car safety rules yet?

They are but I bet you could swap the drivetrain with some 70s American FR shitbox. Chevette, Pinto, etc. I don't know how much smaller the mini is, you might still have to shorten axles or driveshaft. Or leave the axles the same length and give it fucking huge widebody fender arches.

That's pretty silly, I'd rather just stick a bike motor in the back without going through any crazy fabrication
Webm related, Kawasaki Ninja MR Twingo

Actually before thinking about the 180sx, I was a proper weeb and wanted to buy an AE86.

I changed my mind mainly because they are so fucking expensive

Yep, the Autumn Matsuri was the start of the new rules. Got this other free R33 from there that I parted out. As seen on Speedhunters actually kek

speedhunters.com/2016/11/ebisu-retaliates-no-more-missiles/

Please, dont call me a fucking normie, but what exactly is a missile?

A car you have specifically to practice or learn drifting in. One that you don't care at all how it looks or if it hits a wall. If it drives, it's good.

Originally it was a dedicated drift car kept only barely mechanically sound that you could really beat the shit out of drifting and not worry about it.

Now it's an excuse for when know-nothings hack up their daily and get laughed at for their shitty work.

Oh, okay, thanks.
Guess you really learn something new everyday.

pretty jealous that soarers are 500 in your area, i'd kill for one :(

Here you go. Try to look in here
tradecarview.com/used_car/toyota/soarer/

I hope that mustang keep having a bad reputation because I want one.

>What is the main reason you started to drift.
Because I lost traction while cornering

/thread

bump, wanna know more

LIke what?

Foxbodies are a hidden secret

you turn wheel left you go right it's magic

nah theyre gaining popularity in the drift scene quickly

NOOOO MUH CHEAP CHASSIS

drag racers drove up the price long ago

my s13

Seen this car for sale on craigslist lol