Does Veeky Forums agree with Corndog Girl?

Does Veeky Forums agree with Corndog Girl?

Well, her answer was correct. Then she started explaining.

>the Roman Empire was dead for forty years before anyone knew it was gone

Is this real? Spooky

It's idiotic. Early empire and late empire were basically irrecognizable from one another, how can you possibly argue for no change?
Not to mention ignoring the demographic and economic crisis, the constant civil wars, etc.
If anything, the fact that noone noticed the fall until decades after the emperor was deposed shows how irrelevant the barbarians actually were to the situation.

>Roman Empire.
>Nation.

Perhaps that would be true of the Eastern Roman Empire and how they refused to use cannons and preferred to fight their enemies alone than get help from old rivals.

When talking about the western half then Corndog Girl is a fucking idiot.

The Western Roman Empire fell due to a plethora of reasons: economic crises, constant infighting, getting buttfucked by every single barbarian within a hundred year span, and the Eastern half not really giving a fuck about the west until it was too late due to the Persian wars and paying barbaroi to fuck off.

>Eastern half not really giving a fuck about the west
I'd say actively paying barbarians to attack the west counts as "giving a fuck".

Is it me? Or this critic of the roman empire a "they were just too much conservative!"

Or maybe I just visit /pol/ too much.

Well it's written by this "man".

It came out July last year, was that late enough for Trump's "Make America great again?"

Well consider that Odoacer pretended to co-ule with Nepos and Theodoric was formally a vassal to Anastasius, both ruled with the support of the senate and neither changed anything about how Italy was run.

I would say that fundamental critiques like this go beyond actualism but rather the usual "progress vs conservatism" that domain political movements.

In fact, thinking about it, are there really ideologies or political movements that go beyond this simple dichotomy? Or is it like triying to make a polygon with only 2 sides(fundamentally imposible)?

well it did get too big to manage. empires tend to do that.

You see, what happened is that these immigrants called the Goths were welcomed into Roman territories because some people felt bad for them.
And then the Goths suddenly decided they were being oppressed, you see?

>Does Veeky Forums agree with Corndog Girl?
No. The late army was based. They adapted well and consistently wrecked barbarians. The Roman empire fell because of the eternal teuton

>romans refused to adapt

Give me time to put on my gallic armour, equip my iberian sword, samnite shield and pila while reading this greek literature while fucking this germanic slaveboy.

The comic is...weird it's written by an sjw but through bumbling the politics of the comic come off as almost libertarian.

Niggas need to read some Joseph Tainter.

>sociological explanations for the collapse of rome

>ROME FELL BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH OBAMA CHANGE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD JUST CONVERTED TO CHRISTIANITY AND ADMITTED GERMANICS INTO THEIR ARMY

>ROME FELL BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T GIVE ENOUGH MONEY TO POOR PEOPLE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD SLAVES FOR CENTURIES

>ROME FELL BECAUSE IT WASN'T DIVERSE ENOUGH EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE FROM EGYPT TO WALES BECAME CITIZENS

>ROME FELL BECAUSE THEY DEVALUED COINS EVEN THOUGH COINS WERE ROUTINELY DEVALUED AND REMINTED MULTIPLE TIMES AND LONG BEFORE THE WRE WAS IN TROUBLE, END THE FED!!!

>LOL ANYTHING I BELIEVE IS TRUE IF IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD JUST MAKE SHIT UP

>lol anything I believe is true if it makes me feel good
Christ I know you're insulting them but that line there is progressive thinking laid bare

That's not how the empire fell tho you fucking retards

The author obviously meant adapting to important things, like gay marriage or affirmative action.

"SJWs" (American liberals) and libertarianism are not as ideologically different as people believe.

nero married his fuqqboi and they would gladly give one of their greek slaves an administrative position over a roman

So, how did the empire fall?

You're a retard, Corndog Girl didn't explain, the teacher did.

Well, she is technically correct that Roman Empire fell from winning too much, but her explanation of how it led to their defeat is wrong.

SJW's are a subset of American liberals

loss of republican virtue
yes, seriously.

I'm not debating that, I'm saying the person who gave the answer (Corndog) is not the same person who gave the explanation. Look at where the speech is coming from in the comic

Corndog girl gave an explanation too as her response came to the teachers request for an explanation.

Why do I feel like an autist after having typed that out?

Oh shit, you're right.

Ah you're right, I stand corrected, Corndog did give a small explanation but I thought OP was referring to the longer one from the teacher.

This entire conversation is autistic desu, and I regret starting it

Over-taxation, depopulation, and military coups forming a self reinforcing death spiral.

Marius and Sulla began the cycle, and it just got worse from there.

I'm a left-leaning democrat who's career is in a social justice field and am so fucking sick of white middle-class nerds saying shit like this. it's counter-productive intellectual auto-aphixiation masturbation. the whole ID politics things was and is pushed primarily by the elites seeking to keep the status-quo.

>Marius and Sulla
I sure love me some 500 year death spiral.

go to bed Cato...you're drunk again.

The reason Rome fell was because its entire economy was based on taking slaves and wealth from new conquests. The limits of technology (transportation, food preservation, communication, logistics, bureaucracy etc) in Roman times meant that Rome simply could not expand any further past roughly what they had under Trajan/Hadrian. They maybe could have expanded a little more on their eastern border but the roughly equally powerful Persian empires had already called dibs. Barbarians or not Rome's economic model had simply reached a point where it could no longer sustain itself because it had run out of places it could loot.

Ricimer was a Roman General, as was Genseric and many other "forigeners", in fact the "invading armies" were more often than not just Roman legions under a new flag.

what killed the empire was exactly what created it, too much power and loyalty vested with Military leaders and major succession issues

that combined with economic and other issues which made it all the worse.

Libertarians want equality of opportunity, sjw's want equality of outcome.
Libertarians hold individual liberty above all else, SJW's hold feelings above all else.

There's a reason the economy of Rome peaked around 100 AD.

Once the five good emperors were up, it was pretty much non-stop decline.

Why is she called Corndog Girl

This is retarded. The empire did almost fall once in the crisis of the third century, and it adapted and survived. The principate that went into the third century was radically different than the dominate that emerged.

There are hundreds of interacting reasons why the Roman empire fell, including both internal and external pressures. There are no tidy answers.

So why is she the 'corn dog' girl?

This. If there was one single reason that the Roman Empire fell, historians would have discovered it by now, and no Empire since the Romans would have ever fallen. Like every event in history, it's the result of an infinitely complex chain of causes and effects.

But high school history likes to give simple answers so "because X" gives max points.

You should see what she can do with corndogs!

What bullshit Rome's army, religion and manner of running government all changed drastically over time.

Rome also modified its armies to best face off against native enemies, like adding thicker armor in wars against Dacia.

I don't think there's any one right answer to this question but plenty of wrong ones. It was the culmination of centuries of shifts in sociopolitical and religious trends.

I would say you can trace the beginnings of the "fall" to Diocletian, which is somewhat ironic because he is often viewed as saving the empire from the crisis of the 3rd century. Still in Diocletian's rule we see the seeds of feudalism being sowed. One big thing is that Diocletian accepted payment of taxation in kind instead of cash; this is because of the massive devaluation of Roman coinage through the crisis but it definitely is a precursor to the manorial economies of the Middle Ages. He also vastly increased the power of local government by making the provinces smaller and even styled himself as a sort of God-emperor as later Christian kings would. These don't really explain the fall but it should be noted that there isn't a huge disconnect between the end of the Roman Empire and the early Middle Ages; by the 400s economies and governments were essentially localized. The last 50 years or so for the west was truly a moribund period.

Why this economic shift happened is of course very difficult to say and I don't think I have an answer I'm satisfied with.

I want to put my dick in corndog girl's bagina

This is bullshit, the economy was a minor problem at the time and only one of many other notable issues. You can hardly argue that a lack of slave destroyed the Roman economy, much less caused the empire to implode.

>how they refused to use cannons and preferred to fight their enemies alone than get help from old rivals.
By the time cannons were invented the Eastern Roman Empire was only a small chunk of land and could barely suatain itself.

japanese corndog musume > western corndog grill

>I'm a left-leaning democrat who's career is in a social justice field and am so fucking sick of white middle-class nerds saying shit like this. it's counter-productive intellectual auto-aphixiation masturbation. the whole ID politics things was and is pushed primarily by the elites seeking to keep the status-quo.
Kill yourself, SJW

>that awful art

>right arm over left in first panel
>left arm over right in second panel
>right arm over left in third panel

what absolute retard drew this

>Libertarians want equality of opportunity

as a classical liberal (soft libertarian) I disagree. I could care less about equality. I want my rights protected. If that leaves some small groups with less opportunity (including myself when compared to the super rich) I am fine with it

I don't know if it's the /pol/tard that resides in everyone or if it's that art or what but...is this faggot actually trying to say that not being progressive is what kills X nation?

If he is then that's complete horseshit.

> Change with the world

I have a feeling this is code for "change in the direction my feelies say the world is going regardless of facts to the contrary".

I mean "chinese" culture is the largest single one on the planet, then there's the way poos2loos do things. Clearly though he's not advocating for that no, he means:
> Ur a fucking white male!
> stop it!

""""""Culture""""""

They ignored Augustan morals.

You just don't know much of Chink history to see how many changes it underwent through.

And India is literally a collection of Indian-cultured nations.

What use is there of an auto censor that fails to censor the image?

> It's True Reason of Roman Empire Fall Episode!

>There's a reason the economy of Rome peaked around 100 AD

There are several:

>The Antonine Plague
>The Plague of Cyprian
>German Confederations Raiding the heartland
>Proscribing Wealthy Citizens so the state can confiscate their property
>Roman Army pay tripling every time a new emperor took office
>Increased Tax burdan to pay said army
>Debasement of currency to pay said army
>Unrestricted minting of coins to pay said army
>Constant civil wars
>Persecution of tax paying citizens who believe in the 'wrong religion'