Is the whole

Is the whole

>muh more control over the car

thing a meme with manuals?

Like what sort of 'control' do you supposedly get over an automatic?

Maybe it's cos I have only been driving manual for a week now but it doesn't feel like I can do anything more in a manual?

If anything manual was nightmare for me to control at slower speeds in first gear at the beginning

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>what is engine braking
>what is a torque curve

Learn to manual and shut up, faggot

>Like what sort of 'control' do you supposedly get over an automatic?
Changing the gears manually and not letting a computer do it for you

Modern Automagics have basically made the manual obsolete going on 10 years now as soon as they came out with reliable 5+ speed autos.

But for swaps and track/project cars its prefered because its simpler and doesnt require intimate knowledge auto trans electronics, repair and modification is alot more complicated overall.

I got a manual swap done because the only Autos that where easily swappable into my car where unreliable trash from 1990-2002 GM and that wouldnt do, also 4 speed gear ratios are SHIIIIT

Modern DCTs are infinitely better than older torque converter autos nowadays, but the gist of it is that if you know what gear you'll need to be in for a turn or hills you can get into it without having to wait for your tranny to finish hunting for gears. You can also do stuff like push start your car if it's a shitbox.

you shift when you want and disengage the engine when you want... ie... more controll

>Modern DCTs are infinitely better
Yes and only a handful of cars actually have them and a even smaller amount of them are any good.
with a trade of it takes longer to shift

I like driving manual because its not as fucking boring... although there are days that i wish i could just mash the accelerator and do nothing else. Plus in the states its like a built in theft deterrent.

How do I learn to do this?

>although there are days that i wish i could just mash the accelerator and do nothing else.
recent auto to manual convert here

Those days you actually want to DRIVE auto fucking sucks.

I have never ending problems with mine even when rebuild they are a PITA

>b-but it takes longer to shift

Literally the most benchracer argument possible. Such thing only matters if you race for a living and that 0.xxxx of a second is the difference between 1st and 5th.

well technically each shift can take as long as you want.

Im no bench racer mate

Nobody will admit it but the main reason why people still drive manual in North America is because it looks cool. A much cheaper and low effort version of this is to just get a shift boot for your automatic car's gear shift go get the aesthetic but it just looks stupid because the main thing about driving manual is looking like a maniac pressing pedals and playing woth the stick all the time. I can guarantee 99% nobody here is a professional racer that needs "full control" to go to Wal Mart or commute to work.

>Yes and only a handful of cars actually have them and a even smaller amount of them are any good.

This has it, and it is gud. A highlight of the car, even.

oh im definitely doing it for the coolness and feels

That and it was a fuckload cheaper than dicking around with rebuilt automatics that repeatedly crap themselves.

Actually the cheapest route is buying a manual, because most dealers/manufacturers add on another $2500-$3500 for an automatic transmission. Although, charging extra for an automatic transmission nowdays is almost like charging extra for air conditioning.

If youre buying used cars, this isnt usually that big of a problem though. Ive only noticed it when buying a new car.

>molester
>DCT
>good
lol nobody belives your ken block

I bought a manual because I'm a loser who doesn't talk to enough people to use my phone while driving.

this honestly

talking and driving is retarded

Agreed. I love how all this technology is being developed to let people to utilize their phones while they drive instead of preventing it. The age of instant gratification is upon us.

Not just car play / android auto, but shit like auto braking and lane departure warnings... how hard is it to keep your eyes on the fucking road....

even my oldass headunit from 2014 has hands free

i dont ever fucking use it but its good to have

It is. See my follow up post

>can engine brake
>can select gears you need ahead of time instead of waiting for auto response
>mechanically simpler and easier to fix
>less parts to fuck out
>no complex electronics
>cheaper
>if you're not a fucking scrub you can rev match and get some buttery smooth shifts
>actual engagement with the car, not "lel taek me 2 wurk pls u shitbocks but i wanna browse faggotbook all the way there"

Oh yeah that shit is retarded

just give dumbfucks auto driving cars and take their licence away

more road for me

Changing your own gears gives you more control over keeping your car in its powerband, as well as adding launch capability. It's also just more fun and makes you look cool

Still regretting your purchase, user?
Still going slow in a straight line?
Those semi trailing 70's arms in tyhe back helping you corner?

Should of gotten a Mazdapseed 3 or GTI...

Its more fun?

Its cool, it kinda puts you into a "motion" if you get me, and its a claimed theif deterrant in the US, but ive never been robbed. Also can lift foot off brake at red lights for maximum laziness. Another thing ive notice (from like 12 cars total driven) is that if you are in a proper gear and you hit the gas, you GO, you dont have to wait for shifting or torque converter (like in ranger, crv, cx-7, etc.)

No

Computers can only make a decision based on a set number of variable conditions programmed into it by its human programmer. The human programmer cannot yet in the programme account for the changes in those variables to a near infinite degree, nor can he yet programme a preemption of sudden changes to those variables.

In short, computers are generally reactive, not proactive, and they can not proactively react to everything.

This
Also, you can shift for fuel economy (shortshifting low), no powertrain loss (more available power than a torque converter sapping 15% of it), and you can shift in your powerband. So lets say you have a new tune, you dont have to fuck with the mass complexities of an automatic if your powerband changed, you can just shift with it manually.

fucking lies
this

journo's bang on about how modern gearboxes are (good enough) compared to manual but lets face it most of them would rather be driving manual and just say that so they get paid

Manual > DCT > Modern Auto > Dogshit > Older 3-5sp autos > Satan > CVT

>Manual > DCT
but that's wrong

DCT is only "Good" on expensive cars

Cheap DCT is shit
just like cheap Autos are shit

the 90's where deffinetly a low point for auto trans, most 4speeds where being raped by the 6 speed manuals

idk if this is what most people feel , but any automagic that isnt a DCT lacks the no-slip feel of a manual, that said DCT's are pretty awesome, the old planetary gear / torque conveters feel more slippery than sluts on heat

>Have a 4 cylinder economy car but don't want to drive like a faggot all the time?
>Have a V8 car but don't want to be completely raped on MPGs all the time?
>Want any other somewhat different performance/economy ratio than exactly what the manufacturer thinks you want?

>no-slip feel of a manual
this is what i fucking hate about ANY auto

even built ones slip a little bit

Not that anyone does it, but you can engine brake in an automatic too. Just move the selector down a gear.

>hyundai

You can cook your tranny fluid doing this

reminder that a computer can do everything you do better, specially changing gears

>the 90's
Stopped reading right there

Unfortunately yes :(

Automatics COULD be better than manuals if they had the same gear ratios. I don't understand why automakers put lower gear ratios on their auto trannies. You're paying more money for a more expensive system, that they deliberately make less efficient

This.

All anybody needs their phone on their dash for is GPS and music. Seeing drivers staring at their laps while on the highway is disgusting.

There needs to be harsher punishment than just a ticket.

>pulling out in my opportunity window into traffic
>3/4 throttle
>car shifts into 2nd at 3000
>bogs down
I know when to shift better than any automatic can because i can see my future conditions, not just my present ones

when you are cruising in a high gear and suddenly need to accelerate you can just skip down to the correct gear while automatics normally have a 10-20 second delay in shifting

Since any decent auto has a nice sport mode for manual shifting, it's an absolute meme. Just dusty old dicks trying to justify their outdated transmissions.

It's to compensate for the power loss inherent in slushbox design. No mechanical parts directly contact each other so it's less efficient so they need to adjust.

>ability to hold gears
>ability to shortshift on demand
>ability to disengage drivetrain at will
>ability to clutch dump
Need I go on?

Every automatic I have ever driven can engine brake and let me shift manually if I so desired.

Stop spreading misinformation.

>10-20 seconds
I don't like autos either but you've got to legitimately retarded to believe this.

You are not shifting manually, if u just gunned it it would still shift for you and not just redline

Some cars don't.

>If anything manual was nightmare for me to control at slower speeds in first gear at the beginning

You burger-cunt, drive like a man and shut up. Or is your monkey-brain not capable of shifting?

this

people bitch about uk/eurofags not owning autos because >lol poor and >luxury item
the reality is that outside of large cities, roads are narrow and have lots of corners, yet people still do 50-70mph on them. this entails lots of acceleration and deceleration for corners and no computer can control a gearbox as effectively as a human can.
go to any decent sized uk/euro city and you'll see plenty of auto commuters. outside of these cities, only people who potter to the shops and back (the elderly) will bother with autos.

It's very easy:

Petrolhead -manual (heel&toe)
Fag (burger) -automatic

the ones that hold gears are very much in the minority

manuals are more efficient and don't typically have overheating potential under load

not that all automatics are bad. If you're buying an econobox just get an automatic. trucks are more practical in automatic, too.

Wrong. Cars with an actual manual mode behave just like a manual car. Drive something newer than your 90s piece of shit.

>Manuals are more efficient
So how's 1998?

drivetrain power delivery-wise. automatics are more efficient fuel-wise these days, so yes.

just buy a manual car its very easy

>blip
You mean feathering

You'll never get rid of that slip, no matter how much money get poured into autos.

>automatic fiesta are good

Blipping and feathering are two different things. You don't feather the throttle to rev match.

>Also can lift foot off brake at red lights for maximum laziness.

Nigger please. That doesn't make up for the "laziness", or rather, convenience, of not having to shift your own gears all the fucking time.

Most of my commute is going from 1st, to 2nd and then to 3rd for maybe 500m before I have to go back to 1st for the next red light. And then I still hold the brake pedal in case I on a barely noticeable slope that my car is going to roll back on.

Preferring that shit to just staying in D and using just 2 pedals is bordering on the insane, unless fiddly kid's work like shifting gears somehow entertains you in heavy inner-city traffic.

This

I'm not a manual snob, just in certain cars you can get a little bit more power by shifting yourself.

They can be more fun in my eyes, but no... I don't look down on people for choosing an automatic. It's 2016, probably 90% of cars sold are automatic.

It's all a matter of preference.

I am actually going to disagree on this one. My car is a 2002 Civic Si with full bolt-ons and 65a engine mounts. Drivetrains don't get more solid feeling than this car. My truck is a 2wd Silverado V6 with an automatic, and it doesn't slip. It feels like riding in a non-modified normal manual car as a passenger. I was very pleased when I first drove the truck and noticed it drove like that. My daily driver, a Ford with a V8 and auto is totally not like this, and definitely feels like a sluggish automatic even though it hits the gears hard enough to chirp the tires shifting into 2nd if I am unloaded.

That's all I use CarPlay for, nav and music. It's awesome

actually my brother's automatic jaguar X type engine brakes better than my MX-5 or 350Z does

I like having direct gear ratios

> electronics in automatics

I think the only electronic bit in my auto is the bulb that lights up the position symbols

I love driving stick but let's be honest, stick in bumper to bumper is a fucking drag.

I love the Tiptronic for the fact that I can manually shift, engine brake, do all the things that a manual can do without having the grow a left calf the size of prime Swarzenegger.

Good stuff.

I just use a phone mount and an aux jack.

>driving cars made after 2005

might as well get a prius to go with your starbucks numale

4l60e here and BTR ford fag here they always slipped even when built/tuned

Glad to be getting away from all their fucking problems

Problem is with these auto electric trans is that if one electronic thing fucks up it fucks the trans

Kek

Reminder that there is no downside to being a numale.

"More control over the car" is a bad way to describe it, honestly.

I mean, sure it's true in the sense that you have more tasks to handle yourself (obviously), but that's not the real reason why people drive stick.

People drive stick because it feels nice and more involving. You're much more aware of what the car is actually doing because you have to be. In an automatic - regardless of whether it's a double clutch or a slush box or a automated single clutch or CVT or whatever the fuck - you push the go pedal or the stop pedal and shit just works, it's all figured out for you. In a manual car, you have to complete explicit actions - you have to be in the right gear and if you're not in the right gear you have to shift to it AND you have to modulate the gas pedal in a correct fashion as you clutch back out.

If that sounds like a lot of work, that's because it is. When it all comes together you feel like you're in full control of something (even if that's not completely true since there are a bunch of systems and gizmos and computers making driving stick easier for you) and it's wonderful.

Quite a lot, but the control afforded to you by the clutch pedal is insignificant unless you're big on stunt drifting

Consumer-grade manuals are mostly just there for not being able to afford a good DCT
And slushboxes are just there for people who don't care and wish they could take a private bus

honestly, car manuals are shit

i'd kill for a car with a sequential transmission with dogs like a motorcycles. change the pattern from 1-2-N-etc to R-N-1-2-etc with a safety lockout for neutral and reverse, throw in a quickshifter, and it would be perfect.

sadly, such things are the domain of race cars that cost as much as a fucking house.

>If that sounds like a lot of work, that's because it is.
It's not. I drive ~80-100k km a year, 50% of the time during heavy traffic. I'm glad it's a manual, because now I don't have to brake all the time.
Drove the same van, only in auto for a while, the thing just didn't want to rev or go down a gear. It was just slow and whenever the person in front of me was letting go of the gas I had to brake because it was in a too high gear and engine braking wasn't enough.

in automatic, your pedals are some kind of function which, in result of pressing, makes you go slower or faster. In manual, you actually control your engine, tightening and opening the clutch exactly when you want, which kinda gives you more control.

i wouldn't say there is some kind of tremendous difference between those two in everyday driving. automatic is surely more comfortable, manual keeps you a little bit more awake. that being said, (as an european i am) i used automatic car one time in my entire life, so i'm hardly expert on this subject.

>If anything manual was nightmare for me to control at slower speeds in first gear at the beginning
this should fade away after ten hours of driving or so. At some point you'll start using clutch through muscle memory, and then it's all fine and comfortable.

Automatics can engine brake, too, dummy.

>can engine brake
>can select gears you need ahead of time instead of waiting for auto response

Oh man those are pretty much my biggest bitches about automatics.

>drive automatic
>go WOT
>...
>...
>...
>...
>downshift
>BWAAAAAAAAAAAA

>still driving automatic
>stop coming up
>take foot off gas
>engine returns to idle and is burning fuel
>car slows down as a product of aerodynamic drag and mechanical losses
>have to mash on brakes to slow down

Fuck, I want to downshift when *I* want to downshift.
I want my brake pads to last forever because I'm a lazy fuck.
I want my left foot to actually do something when I'm driving, not just sit there on the floor.

Yeah it engines brakes when you don't want it to, dumbass!
Autotragic is for women & children.

>Yeah it engines brakes when you don't want it to, dumbass!

Unless you are having serious transmissions, this is a lie. .

engine braking, and being able to get your max power, auto trans usually change gears too early and you dont get max

>it engines brakes when you don't want it to

>Like what sort of 'control' do you supposedly get over an automatic?
Having a 100% locked mechanical connection between the flywheel and the drivewheels, and having a cog that's changed with a shift fork instead of hydraulic pressure and a clutch pack.

Manuals (and their related automated manuals such as SMGs and DCTs, although some people subjectively prefer manually operating the clutch) cannot be beat in this regard, and this is where it becomes more involving. The fact you can control the pitch and the attitude of the vehicle directly through the throttle... as opposed to a slushbox
>mash throttle, revs flare, drive catches up
>back off mid corner, revs drop, car keeps coasting
You CAN engine brake with a slushbox, but it still feels like a rubber band to do so.
This.

I like being able to kick the clutch and swing the back end out when I want.
I fucking hate when autotragic drives say they can put it into "stick shift mode" & it's the same fucking thing.... it's not, your just a stupid ,Faggot.

This is a fun thing to do, pleasurable too
youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4

>You CAN engine brake with a slushbox, but it still feels like a rubber band to do so.
and it grenades your clutchpacks and in my case the rear planetary gears and sun shell

Best new car to learn manual in and use as a dd?
Considering brz, new Civic Si, wrx, and some others
I've driven a standard '90s camaro and mid 00s cobalt but not for more than many 30 min total drive time

Yep. that's true. Active engine braking the same way you'd do in a manual is a sure fire way to prematurely wear clutchpacks in an auto.

The correct way to engine brake in an auto is to hold an appropriate gear to maintain speed down a hill. For spirited driving, they are crap.

New car? Fuck that shit just buy one of those shitty 00s cobalt for $2000 and learn on that, then trade that shitter for a nice manual car after 6-month of tearing up that clutch.