Help me decide which car to buy & why

Below I will post 4 local vehicles I am interested in. I will only drive a V8. Help me decide and list your pros & cons.

Other urls found in this thread:

houston.craigslist.org/cto/5961114296.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5949538394.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Slightly above budget but I can find a similar year for around $7000 but with higher mileage

Unbelieable price but lackluster compared to other panthers & DTS

I used to want a Marquis to make it a fake Marauder

But then

I drove

a 5 speed Maxima.

get a '97-'01 Maxima 5 speed manual , user. It'll rub your balls better than a V8 panther at least. Drive them all at least. Dont let us tell you.

honestly those prices are fucking stupid. Are you financing? Why not get a P71 for like $3,000 cash?

That's a sexy car, user but I only drive automatics.

Not all of us are autists.

No I am not financing. I will be paying straight cash. Also, I don't like customizations. I'm a factory model guy.

You mean you used to drive only automatics.

Now you're trying something new, dangerous, and exciting.

No thanks, user. I like cruising & am a classy business man type, not a fast & furious wannabe.

aka an easily intimidated retard

If you're a classy business man type you wouldn't be driving a white trash/niggermobile for under 10k.

I

Manuals are for race car drivers & teens who watch motocross on TV. Everytime I see a volkswagen-honda car show at Walmart I ride by in my DeVille, a much superior looking car with true dual exhaust. But I want a newer car before the headgaskets go.

I was also thinking of this...

I don't like cars post 2011 except for the ATS & XTS but I refuse to finance for either so the others are my choices.

Imo shoot for the town car over the crown vic, or try to find a comparable 06+ grand marquis LS premium for max v8 sound

Actually I didn't see the marquis, imo between the vic and the town car the only difference is the town car is length and width so up to you.

Ls400 rapes panthers in everything except parts/repair-ability

I hear the ls400 is goat... is it true?

Yes, taking 2 things into account:

>autotragic only doesn't trigger you
>having a v8 barge/grandpa car doesn't trigger you

If getting a panther I wouldn't spend more than $3k unless it's a Marauder or Town car. If you want a cruiser, the Town car is the best, if not the Grand Marquis. If you want a peppy panther get a P71 from auction for $1500. Marauders are not worth it.

Base model tho, town car and vic lx probably have more features if you care about that. Also compared to the ls400 they're relatively inexpensive to repair.

Quite the opposite. I think grandpa cars are the best there are & the sexiest sets of wheels on the road.

See I don't like the former police cruiser crown vics, I'd go with a newer civilian one that will last me 20+ years.

This. I have a p7b because it cost me 1800 only and some extra horsepower.

One thing you could do is find a super clean Street appearance package, but hope it was only used for administrative duties, or not heavily abused.

I was also looking at newer Taurus's despite my previous post about post 2011 cars. How do officers feel about them compared to the crown vic?

Avoid the Taurus at all costs, officers say they're cramped as hell, unreliable, always blowing turbos, ford will discontinue them soon, stick with the Panthers user they will be easier on your wallet if you have to repair something
For example if you want to replace a water pump on the current ford interceptors, the engine has to be moved.

Also, like I said I scored a 2011 crown vic police interceptor for 1800, it has 187k, plus the idling which put a total of 360k on the motor. Still runs like a champ

I had a RWD Buick B-Body that was horrendous on ice/snow. How do the RWD panthers stack up on such conditions?

What sort of repairs/maintenance costs have you run into thus far?

Do other drivers get out of your way?

Well it's gonna suck just as much, but you can slap some winter tires on it to help, maybe put something heavy in the trunk so your rear end doesn't fly, also drive carefully, motors are very torqy

Well since my broke ass went for a retired cop car, problems have occurred, such as my reading lights won't turn off so the fuse had to be pulled out
Belts were a little squeaky because it got run through an auto wash
Other than that transmission and engine are mechanically sound.

And yes people stay out of your way and merging is a non issue because land barge

Being the owner of a crown vic sounds fun, I'm going to test drive it for sure.

By the way, are auto car washes really that bad? I've been taking my DeVille through them every so often when I don't have extra time to properly detail.

your taste a shit so you should just poor fag it up and get a civic faggot

I think the one I went through in particular was very cheap, but owning a crown vic is fun, not sure how lxs drive, but the interceptors are hella fun, might not be the most luxurious, but I had a buddy swap his p71 seats and put in a town cars and everything worked

Think of it like this, you get basically the same vehicle ad the lx, but for cheaper, with more horsepower, and the cosmetics are completely interchangeable so you could chrome that bitch

Civics are for faggots.
Post your cars, nigger bitch.

My buddies car

That's a sweet ride, user. Personally I'd put the LX rims on that but it looks good as is anyway.

i drive your mom

>17 year old driving Volkswagen Golf or BMW 3 series bought by daddy detected

Well yeah that's the beauty of these cars, you could slap mustang rims on that if you wanted to. All preference, I'll post mine later but it's a barebones police interceptor

Oh, fair warning, white vics are prone to paint chipping and fender rot, avoid it if you can unless you find one in mint condition

If a car is selling for less than 4 to 5 at a dealership it is completely fucked.

Yeah, be careful with those dealerships l, inspect fully, any cheap crown vic or grand marquis they find that works fine will normally be flipped for a t least 4k.

Police interceptor Vics are pretty rare around where I live. I expanded my search to a 200 mile radius & got 8 results - All LX's going for 7 g's plus

Well the Grand Marquis for 3K is located at an official Ford dealership so it might just be a great deal with nothing wrong. It's got 140,000 on the odometer

Have you checked Craigslist?

P71 with 87k black one for 4k. Is that too.much?

Post pics

houston.craigslist.org/cto/5961114296.html

these go for like 1k here in canada

No I haven't. Can you find a reliable car on Craigslist? I sold an old Cadillac to a guy through Craigslist for $250 with leaking headgaskets but I've never bought from it before.

2011's have extra shit tier build quality, I'd pass.

Yes, buy something nicer than a vomit comet.

good
absolute shit

The biggest factor when it comes to these "low mileage" vics going for cheap is the engine idle hours. 2006 and up P71s have an engine hour meter function in the dashboard; anything under 2006 is a guessing game as to whether it sat in a parking lot for 8 hours a day or whether it was floored and put away wet. If that vic you posted has 87k miles (which is pretty standard for "just out of service" 2011s), it has got to have some ungodly idle hours. The car is also one or two replacement cycles out of service so from the looks of it, it's beat. Try to spend more than 5k on one of these if you want everything to work nicely and feel new.

If you want 20+ years then a town car or Marauder would be a worthwhile investment. Keep in mind the marauder needs premium gas

ausroo here

Can these crown vics be made to turn? Always liked them

Not really. Still plenty of fun

>can they be made to turn?

depends on your definition of turning. They will never be corner carvers but suspension upgrades can make a world of difference.

The crown vic is too expensive. How many miles does it have on it? I can get 2011 police interceptors around here for like 3k with only 150k kilometers.

The problem with police interceptors in my area is that they're uninsurable. They're considered "modified".

Hijacking thread so it's a general buying advice thread.

I'm looking for something similar to the OP. Specifically something like the 2004-2006 GTO. I'd like to keep it under $10k (max of $15k), all I want is a reliable coupe with a V8 that isn't yet another fucking mustang.

All vics are prone to fender rot. My city uses blue ones and a lot of them have pretty bad rust at the fenders.

You just gotta wash well under the wheel wells. Theres a crease under there that likes to catch dirt and water. Clean it out and you'll be good to go.

White paint on these does flake off like a motherfucker. It was recalled but by the time ford admitted to it, very few cars qualified for the repaint.

All this is pretty accurate. Except you can find great cars for under 5k easy.

Look for commander/detective/transport units.

Thats what I got. Low idle hours (less true for drtective cars) and not abused. These cars might have the street apperance package and will usually have amenities like cruise control, CD player, power seat and carpet. Carpet + Cruise is the best indicator when looking at pics online to see if the car us worth checking out in person. 90% of CVPIs had plastic lined floors. The carpeted ones almost always mean the car issued to a higher up and wasnt used for regular patrol.

>Except you can find great cars for under 5k easy.

I prefer lower mileage ones so the CV's I buy are in the $6k plus range with under 100k miles.

This one is overpriced but it's owned by someone who knows CVs and it's quite nice

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5949538394.html

>it cost me 1800 only and some extra horsepower.
You know Interceptors have the same engine and tune as the standard civilian cars, right? They have transmissions that are tuned to shift a bit faster/harder but that's it.

Normal Panthers actually make more power than the P71s if they've got the dual exhaust option.

they're pretty tail-happy, but not quite as long as the B-body GM cars so not completely terrible

as with anything else, good snow tires will more than make up for a drivetrain configuration difference, if you're really worried throw some sandbags in the trunk

They're reliable but keep in mind that you'll be paying corvette prices for if anything GTO-specific does break.
Try not to get a 2004, they have smaller LS1 engines and wiring issues stemming from the harnesses being stretched to fuck.

Interceptors come with dual exhaust standard and 2006 (or maybe it was 05, not sure offhand) onwards have 3.27 rear gears as standard as well (instead of the 2.73 most Panthers and older CVs have stock). So they're putting out a bit more power and are peppier than a base model Crown Victoria, but a top of the line LX Sport or Grand Marquis LSE will be faster than the Interceptor if they've got the shorter ass end and limited slip differential as well as the dual exhausts.

So a P71/P7B is like a middle of the road Panther. Faster than a base model, but not as fast as a properly equipped normal car (unless that specific Interceptor was ordered with the trac-lok rear and gears which is unlikely because police departments tend to be cheapskates), and of course a Marauder will blow both their doors off.

Interior-wise Interceptors suck dick, though, and if you're buying a car like that you sure aren't gonna be carving up the toe-gay so you should at least expect more interior comfort than vinyl bucket seats and a plastic floor with a huge gap between the seats where the police equipment would normally go.

>Reliable but Corvette prices for repairs
Corvette prices for the actual parts or for a mechanic to fix stuff?

I plan on fixing it myself whenever possible, which means that only something like the engine or tranny going kaboom will be impossible for me to fix.

>Don't get 2004 due to wiring issues
Alright. That right there is why I came to ask Veeky Forums. Haven't heard anyone else mention that about the 2004. I honestly figured the 2004 might be a better choice due to the popularity of the LS1, but fuck having electrical gremlins. Especially if the LS2 is just a reliable.

You want an LS400 then. It's a level of comfort I didn't know was even possible in car. Nicer interior too and faster to boot. Just get ready to pay for premium gas.

Holy shit, you fucking nigger, just buy an Interceptor and save the $5grand.

If you have any idea how to work on cars, there is no reason not to get something older than 2005.

Yeah you're right, but when you can't afford a grand marquis, an interceptor is the next best, and as I said before you can find a SAP if not then most cosmetics are interchangeable

Well honestly panthers were pretty meh pre 2005 except for 2004 but if you have the money buy 2006+

I'm sure it would run fine on 89 but what makes it so comfortable? Btw it has 140,000 is that good for an LS400?

Run it on whatever that factory recommends, don't be a poorfag. It's comfortable because of the years and millions in R&D Toyota put into building the best, most comfortable luxury car in the world. It's actually more comfortable than the later LS460 and the late 2000's S Class (only direct competition I've spent time driving).

Just get an 05 Mustang GT. Everything you posted is ugly