Student Life

4 months ago I fell for the grad school meme and moved cross country. I managed to land a job in my field. I bought a car to commute to said job and didn't sell any of my fancy white millennial possessions because of the job. Ended up hating it and then managed to get fired 2 months later.
Ive spent 50% of my cc limits and realized that I wont be able to land a decent job, just decent in terms of working environment never mind the pay, until after I graduate at which point I will be just shy of 100k in debt.

How did you guys make it through grad school without digging your own grave?
did you work? or just push through it as fast as possible? Id more comfortable about incurring this debt but my projected salary after 10 years exp is 90k, which is shit, starting salary out of grad school optimistically would be 60k.

Other urls found in this thread:

geosc.uh.edu/undergraduate/degree-programs/bs-geology/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why the fuck are you in grad school? You have a degree??? Start working

the industry is only hiring people with masters at this point, if I just worked with an undergrad degree I'd be an expendable employee forever

What industry?

geology/hydrology/environmental

REEEEEEEEE. Thats what im planning on doing. going into first year next semester. Have I dun goofed?

Yes

I've had a good run. time to end it

OP please respond is geology into hydrology masters a bad decision. Should I dual major and try to do something better?

I paid for my tuition by trading stocks

Just know that most "geology jobs" involve 80% office work. Competition is fierce and wages are low. lots of really boring projects out there. Good jobs are few and far between. Absolutely loved my undergrad, but Im a moron for thinking an Ivy league masters in Geology was a reasonable idea

I'm the ''yes'' poster.

by dual majoring you are digging the hole deeper.

Quit the study.

Look for something good and don't be a fucking pussy. If it is hard it is worth doing. My advice would be to do some research first on what is doing well in the economy. Job-salary-education for the job-location.
Also there is this book called worthless. get it if you want to read what to study without ruining your financial life forever.

You sound like a pussy by the way.

Geology is possibly one of the worst majors out there.

Accounting is a good one for example. Also applied math/statistics is a good one.

Just take something that is not so fucking easy and has a decent job outlook with a good salary.

Stop being a fucking pussy and stop taking the easy route, it leads nowhere.

Where the fuck is your dad, holy shit. If you were my son I would have slapped you out this bullshit before it happened, but I guess you can learn from mistakes.

If you don't trust this anonymous asshole then continue setting yourself up for misery.

But definitely don't dig deeper into this shit.
When choosing a major a good pointer is Bachelor of science - master of science. But majoring in for example pure math is also not good as it is not applicable but it is hard.

My masters emphasis is in hydrogeology. You'll be fine just go to a research based program, find somewhere with guaranteed funding so you wont end up like me. Im in a "applied geology" program, mistake.

i decided a masters was the only way to move on from supervising >pic related

lmao at this fucking projecting.
>When choosing a major a good pointer is Bachelor of science - master of science.
Geology is a Bachelors of science you fucking mong

I did do some research prior to deciding and was told that enviro sci and geology need a masters to become profitable so It was always in my mind.

Any other tips?

It is really a science though? Ask yourself what a geologist is compared to a chemist.
It is like saying that political science is really a science. Or that economics can be a math subject. Holy shit. I was just giving pointers+advice for the next choice. Not related to geology as a major in the first place. But even if I did it's still bullshit.

I graduated grad school in 2008 the shittiest economy since the great depression. You think $100k debt is a lot? Fuck you. I worked at an office I hated. I watched the pre-millenials whine and cry and demand free shit while I took a second weekend job at Taco Bell. Fuck you. I read posts on /b/ about #Occupy and Purge the 1% while I waited for customers at a cash register. Fuck you. I sat in traffic to get home at 1am after closing to wake up for my office job at 6am while Critical Mass faggots blocked traffic on their bicycles. I drive a Mercedes now. My loans are paid offs and my condo is half paid off. I don't stop for bicyclists or #occupy or BLM or any millenial in my way. This is Trump's time now. You should run

geosc.uh.edu/undergraduate/degree-programs/bs-geology/
chem, maths and physics are all compulsorily. Sounds like a science to me. Do you even know what geology is?

I actually do appreciate advice on some alternatives, but your posts have been retarded so far

But in no way are you specialized in any of those fields.
A business major has accounting courses but when a recruiter has to choose it will surely be the accounting major over the business major with some accounting courses (even if the person has an ''emphasis on accounting''.

fair point,but I think environmental science is to geology as business is to accounting.

>Not getting an MBA/MSA duel degree at a top 3 university where they pay for your education and supply thousands of dollars in stipend money for personal use

Not only will I get to work in sports for the rest of my life, but can tell all my cousins to fuck off when I am the cool dad/uncle because I can get tickets to games for free

>triggered
Also don't assume I didn't vote for trump
>I didn't vote
>millennial

best advice ive got for you is no one owes you shit and people are bloodthirsty animals

I can't even get a job at Taco Bell. Feels bad man. Also
>this is Trump's time now.
We will make America great again

Pff, I'm finishing my geology bachelors this summer. Should I go for the fucking masters or jump ship?

Get into finance user! Look at their salaries and opportunities!

If I had to redo school, I would consider finance or even engineering.
With finance you have a nice possibility to start a business for yourself after some time. Like a home loaning business.
Comm major here. Things aren't too bad for me--just going into the family business.

Fell for the same meme, I'll share my experience.

> How did you guys make it through grad school without digging your own grave?
It sucked. It was a lot of work, and debt. Not that fun for me.

> did you work?
only a little, like 10 to 15 hours a week. Full time would have been impossible

> or just push through it as fast as possible?
I think going through school for any degree, you should get it done as fast as humanly possible

> Id more comfortable about incurring this debt but my projected salary after 10 years exp is 90k, which is shit, starting salary out of grad school optimistically would be 60k.

Yep. In retrospect I was a fucking idiot. I took out $50k in debt for a degree where a good opening job would be $50k a year. It was a mistake.

I post this all the time: the university bubble is gonna pop by 2025. maybe sooner than that.

>the university bubble is gonna pop
Very brave of you to say that