Pretending IFS is best because you don't "need" SFA
Shitposting general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XzbISicsvcQ?t=5
youtube.com/watch?v=TkrXIjyTyow
youtube.com/watch?v=BE_NMaIL5IQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> Trying to climb a hill in your 2wd S10
Is this about me? In my defense it has a rear locking diff.

>Suburban=Master Race
>Suburban = off road station wagon

Anyone have one of these?

I think someone had one a few years back. No idea if they're still around.

>tfw no AMC Eagle

Why is it impossible to find burbans with manual transmissions? Am I stupid?

The 92 and newer models never came with manuals from the factory. It's a common and well documented swap with cheap and easy to find parts if you want to do it though.

This. Very easy swap since the area remained unchanged.

I'm impressed that we hit both the bump limit AND the image limit.

Good job, /org/!

I just have a regular station wagon :(

>bed liner rock guards
>dat breakover angle
>dat ass
thanks op

Nah it was for pic

[Like A Rock]

youtu.be/XzbISicsvcQ?t=5

My da mentioned he wanted to make a trail rig just before xmas, so I bought him a winch.

Tomorrow, he's asked me to come help him pick up the cab he's going to use, it's a 49 chev.

Problem, it's just a cab and a title at this point, no frame or running gear.

Looking at cheap Craiglist Chebbies (because Chebby is what I know), should we buy a running/driving rust heap reg cab long box 85 with 305 and SM456 trans for ~1500, or should I pick up a whole junkyard full of K5s and K5 parts for a grand?

The junker guy has 2 no-title K5s that are rock/tree rashed to shit, one with a running 350 and a blown Turbo 400, the other with a good TH350, but a 305 with cracked block and spun bearings, plus 2 extra axles, a 6.2 diesel, and a bunch of drive shafts.

I've got a M1009 myself, and so I could use a bunch of the second guy's spares for my shit, but I'm kinda daunted by fact that we're talking 3 trailer trips to haul it all out and probably 2 to the junkyard for the stuff that's worthless trash.

Cab pics look like about this condition, though obviously less complete...

What's with the two gas fillers?

there's two tanks user
how have you never heard of this

More info on the white k5 in the back

I genuinely thought you were a fucking retard but now it's become apparent.

oh fuck I love some classic 3100's. Favorite god damn truck in the world. Was just doing somework on a 46 today with a couple other guys. It was a previous body style but so fucking sick.

>pic
also if anyone has 6500 layin around and need a trail rig......

More info on that red ford explorer in the back

take this fucking meme somewhere else you fucking nigger.

Because they are a soccer mom car & soccer moms cannot drive a stick.

More info on that handrail in the back

>converted to 12 volt
Breaks my heart. Converted CUCVs never work out.

Go away please.

how does this image of a gmc make you feel shitposting user

I think I broke him guys

Rate my Hilux, Veeky Forums.

Gud/10

This is a very clever reaction post, actually.

Good on you, crownon.

youtube.com/watch?v=TkrXIjyTyow

Why convert them from 24v? It's such a bad idea. If you need 12, plumb it off one of the two batteries.

Except that it's a Ranger.

Got my WAT sticker on! Bad idea to do this in the rain though, but it's been raining every day this week so what could I do. Now to mount the /org sticker...

Oh great... here we go again...

Too bad you don't see these anymore. I'd love to find one!

This

How does the Subie handle off the pavement?

Question out of curiosity... how many locals get the Black Mesa reference?

>Obligatory OJ joke I am too lazy to come up with

>Top speed 23MPH
So much overkill! What kind of gears did these come with to pull a C30?

People probably get scared and revert it to something they know? Who knows...

>implying you need ifs to be fast in the desert

The hillarious thing is my 4 wheel independent suspended 4x4 has more wheel travel than that thing.

You don't, but a mid engine helps.

>Implying you need Solid axles to Flex

I swear to god this topic never ends! It's long been settled. You're not beating a dead horse because by now the horse has been sold and ground up into Chinese food.

There is no "One size fits all" solution for off roading because everyone does it in different ways and because of this have different needs.

God damn people... I know this board is shitposting but can we find another topic? The same old arguments get old you know?

Yeah, but it takes 10 minutes of research to realize why it's a bad idea.

The Subie does pretty well with the AWD, but it's not the Outback so it doesn't clear anything more than a medium-sized rock on a dirt road.

I don't expect it to do much since I got it to be a street car whereas the Taco is my 'ffroader

It's actually a 6100 cab, so it's got 4 inch deeper fenders.

>how many locals get the black mes-
none
not a fucking one
not suprised honestly.

Assuming this runs fine, is this viable if I want to break into offroading for less than a grand?

Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope

don't do it user, trust me. you'll waste more money than it's worth and it still wont be running.

>britbong car
>in a mup da doo city
>buying

user let me stop u rite fuckin there

It won't run fine, get something American or Japanese, probably better off going American with that budget.

contrary what the parroting retards tell you, land rovers (except for those giant blobs of soaps) handle excellent off road, the downside is if you break something it will cost you a lot
and that definitely hit on something since it's less than a grand

I understood the Black Mesa reference, but most won't. I feel like HL is starting to become obscure.

If I like the look of the land rover, what's an American or Japanese counterpart I can look into?

It doesn't bother me to do some wrenching if I need to

The problem with a Land Rover isn't the difficulty of repair for the mechanicals, it's the low quality of the mechanicals and electrics.

>But user, what about compared to first year, strike vin range S-10 blazers?
The parts are cheap and reflect the later improved build quality.

The Disco has an iconic look and a pretty unique roof line, which makes settling for something else difficult, I understand this.

But you'd be better off with a Cherokee, 4Runner, Pathfinder, square front S10 Blazer, early Explorer, etc. If you don't mind going full size wide, there were Safari Roofs made for Conversion K5 Blazers and Suburbans that will get you the Discovery roof line.

I think that's what I needed to hear, the disco has a really iconic look to it but everyone says it'll let me down. What years for burbs?

How the fuck is that a Ranger?

It even has the old TOYOTA look on the back tailgate.

Yeah. We should start discussing manual vs automatic for offroading usages like the rest of Veeky Forums.

I would love to buy an old Disco and do a complete engine bay scoop and replacement. Those roof liners are really unique and fun. I love the double bunker camping setups you can build on just by crawling through the skylight.

But we've already discussed that like 4 threads ago

Purchasing a 1997 Pathfinder this week. What do?

you pay the guy some money and go register it at the dmv what do you want user

The sweet release of death I suppose

I've been a second gen explorer man my entire adult life. Right now I have a 99 V8 2WD. My previous exploder was a V6 2WD. I want something I can take off road and in the snow. The thing is, Ford either never made a 4WD explorer with a 5.0 V8, or they did and theyre just rare as fuck. All I can find are AWD models. Anyone here have experience with the AWD second gen explorer?

I read on serious explorations that the engine/tranny/transfer case combo is solid and reliable, but the AWD isnt great for offroad because there no 4 low option.

My other option is get a 4WD explorer with the 4.0 V6. I gotta be honest I like the power of my v8, and I like that it gives me cred in the world of 302 windsor. My 95 v6 2WD explorer had a problematic tranny. The tranny's on the V8s are way more proven. I dont know if the 4WD v6 explorer transmission is also problematic.

So what do: v6 4WD or v8 AWD?

I've seen safari roofs on Suburbans in the 73-91 gen and the 92-99 gen. K5s in the 83-91 generation.

The Suburban, especially, will be a much larger rig than a Disco.

The conversion roof is fiberglass and has to be modified to take glass or, more realistically, Plexiglas panels.

Actually Google tells me that high roof Conversion Suburbans can still be bought new, blows my mind.

The funny thing is that this is such an obvious solution to the Landy problem that more than one company in England does basically nothing but do this to brand new ______ Rovers.

Brand new and people gut them and stuff them full of Chevy truck parts.

>tfw
>insane fog 20m visibility
>never got a chance to drill mounts in my bumper
>75s sitting in a box at home
>anti-lmao
pray i don't die tonight

go spin tyres on some farm land tonight, /ORG/ :D

It's actually not that big of an issue anymore in North America. It's really funny since people don't care about reliability anymore so the Jaguar never had to improve reliability. All modern cars are over engineered and not built to last so it's more or less propelled Land Rover/ Jaguar sales nowadays. Jaguar never had to adapt their unreliable engineering to compete in the market since everyone else lowered their standards.

It'd be pretty nice to run this on an old Disco. Just replace the engine with something like an overpowered Chevy engine + transmission and have a really weird sounding Disco. An intact vehicle shell for $900 really isn't that bad, too.

Why not both?

The the Rover V8 has the save firing order as a Gen 3 or newer small block (IE LS) or an older BOPs GM V8.

Huh. Good point. Maybe insurance?

Well, you sure missed the point of my post. Look at the picture. It's an Excursion with a Discovery roof.

Well, you sure missed the point of my post. Get both vehicles and drive both vehicles.

Hmm. Have you done or seen a swap? Most oft he issues with the LRs seem to be motor, coolant, and especially computer related so I guess you could leave the transmission intact without needing to do an older removal. Small block Ramjet V8?

Honestly, if you want a trail rig, get the 4x4 V6. Not sure if you could put the whole V8/4R70 in place of the V6/4R55 to the existing transfercase, but seeing as it wasn't an option from the factory, I have a sneaking suspicion the V8 gearbox might be too long (just a hunch without any creditable evidence).

>mfw
I wonder if I can put this over the bed of my trucc.
Do you have pictures of the interior?

Isn't there a locking hub option on the 2nd generation if you want to use it for offroading?

Those old 4.0 OHV V6s are as reliable as the V8s. Plus you won't need much power unless you're planning to tow horses or something. I think 2nd generation is when they started out making weird Windsor V8s and having mild issues with HP despite the gas mileage so no one bought them. No one wanted an older, sluggish V8 in an offroad when the F-150 was substantially cheaper.

So if you can get a V6 4WD with locking hubs, I'd get that.

>>Suburban Master Race Edition
Don't you mean:
>"Suburban Masturbate Edition"

I'd do a 100% chebby drivetrain just for simplicity's sake. L98 or LS3 plus 6L80 or T56 HD with Tranzilla tailshaft housing and the Camaro gearset that gives the lowest first gear. Yeah, I'd be giving up a bit of on-road prowess by giving up the eleventy billion drivetrain modes, on a newer Range Rover, but it'd still be pretty nice, and it'd still be very capable. Do a custom gauge cluster, aftermarket head unit, and a custom harness.

Probably gut the air suspension for coils too.

Oh you're talking about doing that in a modern Range Rover. What about the older Disco IIs that shouldn't need a full on chebby swap?

The benefit is that the entire frame, suspension, and axles won't be needing replacements, too.

I'd still be awfully tempted to do a full swap.

youtube.com/watch?v=BE_NMaIL5IQ
Ronny Dahl is back boys.

i think i have an actual crush on him why is this happening

L98 would be great in a Disco. 350 SBC simplicity with a ton of low end power. I'd go ahead and do a 4L80e for simplicity's sake. Keep the drivetrain cheap and GM.

The 6.5 diesel swaps are popular overseas. The SBC uses the same motor mounts and will bolt up to the same transmissions.

>not having a crush on Tacofag

>having a crush on fags

>Fags

Wut

Fags

>NOT HAVING A CRUSH ON SWIFTPOSTERS SWEET ANUS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I swear to fucking god if you steal my memes one more time

Schtop this. We're having a very nice Land Rover swap discussion and it's something that I can see myself doing since I love me the discos

He's so strikingly nervous. That or he doesn't know how to into public speaking. Good man.

Thats too cheap. I can get an old but very working straight 5 def or w461 for about $4000. Land cruiser of same year in same condition maybe $5000-6000.

I'd disco with you

Is a Tacoma a good start for DD and getting into off-roading? I do a shit ton off highway driving and just want to get out there and explore.

it's funny because hes a rather experienced content creator.

Guess what I got today Tay!?!

Sure if you can find a 2000s model for $2k or less.

Fuck I want my 89 suburban back that thing was a legit fucking tank, only thing that went bad on mine in the 13 years I had it was the starter.

What a quaint comment. I'd disco with you, too, user ^__^

Yes. Ranger, Colorado, Kota, Taco.
I DD My Ranger making deliveries to farmers from a main city putting on around 3000-4000 per month. When I get to the area, I can do some offroading or take the mudpaths to their places.

Every time I get stuck, they always have a chevy (or ten) to help tow me out. And if their ten chevies aren't operational, they can always use their motorhome to pull me out. Or their tractors.

A full frontal lobotomy?

sliding off roads? guilty as charged.

Pshh. I wish.

A straight five Disco!? Are we still talking about the special builds or is there actually a I-5 Disco IIs out there?

Also, what country are you in for those older Land Cruisers? Funny story that I saw an old FJ80 in Toronto, Leafland the other day and it had minor under peeling rust and some dirt around the fenders. The last that Tay Yoda brought over was before the 2000s so this had to be around 20 years old minimum.

I pull up beside it at the red light and it was piloted by this fat black woman in her late 40s. Doesn't know what she has but she probably bought it back in the 90s and has kept it running ever since. Wise person.

Depending on where you live, you may see a LOT of rust on them. Also, the first generation Tacos are the roughest rides for front independent suspensions.
3rd generation Rangers may be better for this cause since their throwaway productions make them less sought after and therefore less expensive.

So perhaps it's worth getting a really nice beater to get "started" DDing and off-roading.

Sweet!! Isn't he 23 days too early, though? Or is that an engagement ring!?!
(as i thought you already had a husbando)

20 karat gold, quater karat diamond?

Ouch. I'm sorry, nonanon. Yellowtext story?