What is this technique used for?

What is this technique used for?

Have been driving manual for a few days now. I feel fine gearing up, bit nervous going from stops then getting into second.

Also what do you guys tend to do to shift down say when you are approaching a turn/stop?

say if I am going 50mph and I'm in fourth or fifth. how do I go down gears effectively.

Do I do it the same way as shifting up, where I release the gas, clutch in, shift up then give gas again once I start lifting my clutch slowly.

how do you do all that for a turn. it's like you need a long stretch of road to have to do that going all the way down to turning/stopping speed

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nzcRZCcikwM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Simple example:
>You cruise around with 120 kmh in 3rd gear
>corner ahead
>apply brakes
>use heel-toe technique to keep revs on top when you clutch into second

Oh and when does driving manual start to feel more fun?

I'm not having fun having shaky gear shifts, slow starts, paranoia of stalling out

And is it bad to sit at a redlight with the clutch fully in whilst in first gear?

It's so you keep the revs up while braking . Don't try it , it's not for Nu-fags.

git gud faget

Yes it's bad for the pressure plate & throwout bearing to sit at the light with the clutch depressed.
Stop it.

>Oh and when does driving manual start to feel more fun?
in a little bit, never if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic
>And is it bad to sit at a redlight with the clutch fully in whilst in first gear?
technically you don't want to. But in practice unless you drive the shittiest of cars it will never cause noticeable harm.
If i'm first at the light i keep it in first with the clutch in. If i'm behind a car, neutral and the clutch out.

It isn't, you're an idiot.

When in first needing to go, should I be giving it gas then finding the bite point. or find the bite point then give it some gas.

what are the pros and cons of either?

giving gas and finding bite point wears out the clutch.
finding bite point then giving gas can cause a stall or jerky start.

for the time being just do whatever works best for you, in about a month or two learn how a clutch and transmission works and re examine your methods.

>giving gas and finding bite point wears out the clutch.
>finding bite point then giving gas can cause a stall or jerky start.

is there one or the other to should be using more?

or is there another method to do?

It literally depends on the car, and the task you're trying to achieve (be it hard and fast, gentle and soft, or pulling out a big load).
Stop overthinking it and do what works and improve as you go like said.

manual feels fun when your shifts feel smooth and you put the pedal to the floor in 2nd gear to feel the car push you back into your seat. so you feel out of control for a second and grip the wheel extra hard.

takes about 2-3 weeks too feel comfortable starting off on the road. anxiety caused by other drivers is making this not fun for you. only way to deal with that is exposure. daily driving a manual for 1 month and you've pretty much stopped stalling during normal behavior. i still stall sometimes but its like at drive-thru's where i get paranoid because people are right on your bumper and you're not sure if you can get some roll back or not.

when you get to a stop light, hold the clutch in first and get off the brake for a second to see if your car moves. if it does, and you're stuck on a red light with no one around, practice rocking back and forth with just your left foot. it's kind of fun and it'll help you learn the bite point. practice holding in place too, while you're waiting.

dont use heel toe. it's just for spergs who really want to hammer down in 2nd gear coming out of a turn. just sit in 3rd, brake, turn, then before you go on the gas shift to 2nd for power.

or not, it probably wont matter. you can usually ride 3rd in and out of a turn. it's just not as loud/fun.

>coming to stop
>neutral
>brake

>coming onto turn
>you can either go into neutral, brake and then downshift into 2nd/3rd however you feel
>or be THAT guy who race car heel toes from 5-4-3-2

just ignore technical stuff for now as it's an overload of things to think about as a beginner. your goal is to be as smooth as possible in whatever way feels best to you

>>or be THAT guy who race car heel toes from 5-4-3-2
If you don't drive a boring shitbox this is fun to do.

>t. THAT guy

it's alright, I'm that guy too. even though I know I look and sound like a complete ass to everyone in traffic, it really does bring the fun out

>tfw drive a polo and the gas pedal is so far from the brake that I can't heel-toe, even with my size 12 feeties

>cruise at 120
>in 3rd

Wat?

You fucking burgers.
Again?! Every fucking day a fucking manual-thread?!?! HOW AUTISTIC ARE YOU!?!?!?!?
REEEEEEEEEEEE

FUCKING DRIVE A BUS YOU EMBERASSING PIECES OF SHIT!!!!!!

HEEL&TOE IS SOMETHING FOR BIG GUYS YOU LITTLE FAGGOTS!

youtube.com/watch?v=nzcRZCcikwM

>big guys

>tfw brake pedal is much higher up than gas pedal so I have to almost hard stop to heel toe

The shakiness and paranoia will slowly go away as you get better. It's more rewarding because you're developing a new skill.

Once you've come to a stop, put the car in neutral and let out the clutch pedal, to prevent bearing wear.

Shifting down as you approach a light is pretty easy. Watch your engine speed. When it gets below 2k rpm, push in the clutch, select one gear lower. Let the clutch out slowly. Your RPM should jump up a little as the transmission and the engine reconnect.

Don't ever downshift into first unless you are virtually stopped.

It's not a simple 1-2 action. Give just enough gas for the tachometer to rise a couple hundred RPM. Then slowly let out the clutch until you feel it bite. From here, simultaneously give more gas while letting the clutch ease out. Do it slowly. With practice you will be able to do it smoothly.

70 MPH in third is reasonable

In driving school I learned to go slow, to about 15-20mph before corners and shift into second and then turn.
When I actually drove by myself I always kicked the clutch and went in without gear.
That's dumb. Nowadays I actually do as taught, of course not as slow as before, but 1. braking 2. shifting 3. turning is a good way to do it.
That heel thing sounds stupid since you might knot your feet and when you hold the clutch you do a discrete motion anyways, so if you're not some kind of foot legasthenic, you can easily manage clutch - brake - gas+clutch. Just a matter of knowing your car and how far to push to get those rpm quickly.

Also: Clutching is annoying if you're not a racer, I might get automatic in the future because I am lazy and hate driving in traffic.

that isn't how you heel toe. the heel goes on the brake and the toe goes on the accelerator. fucking dumbass

Unless you're racing you don't need to heel toe. Your car's pedals are probably not properly spaced to even do it.
Just practice downshifting and you'll be fine.

For fucking cruising? Do you hate your fuel? I'm in fucking 6th by the time I hit 60.

I see so many people here talk about how they don't shift until 5k RPM, surely you don't actually drive like this right?

ye but driving under 2krpm is not good for engine tho

Not him but why exactly?

Who's a dumbass?

your the fucking idiot. I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining why to you.

>There's only one way to heel toe.
You sure you're not the fucking dumbass? You fucking dumbass.

My engine makes peak torque at 1600rpm

That's fucking retarded, and I toe and toe in my car

what the fuck have you ever driven in traffic

:^) if i ever had licens

you guys are retards. throttle application requires more precision hence the use of the toes. not to mention the pattern is BRAKE->THROTTLE AKA HEEL->TOE

fuck outta here

>implying there's a reason to heel toe on a stock clutch/flywheel
Unless you're entering a corner at 5th and braking all the way down to 2nd you're not going to lose enough revs to justify punching the throttle before the shift.

yuropoor

>Implying you can't be precise with your heel.
Are you sure you're not fucking retarded? You fucking retard.

7/10

>450 ft-lbs @ 1600 rpm means I'm a yuropoor

>driving under 2k rpm is bad for engine
>engine makes peak torque at 1600 rpm
>driving at peak torque is bad for engine

Holding a bearing against a flywheel that's idling and a clutch plate with no load is NOT going to make any measurable difference what so ever. That kind of "wear" pales into insignificance even compared to what wheel bearing face when, you know, the wheels are moving.
In fact, you'd be putting more wear on the thrust bearing pushing the diaphragm through two full cycles than you would pushing it once and holding it indefinitely.

>For you

Hate to tell you mate, but holding the clutch pedal at the lights isn't what's fucking your throw out bearing.

What's it mean to "ride the clutch" anyways?

I seem to be hearing conflicting things which is a bit confusing

>Oh and when does driving manual start to feel more fun?
Never, it is a meme used by poor prole and euros to justify not paying extra for a automatic.