/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

kea edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40 (embed)

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wzlTr-3sBlU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for dolomite

eh, dolomite is a cool guy, eh used for walls and doesnt afraid of anything

post forts

>those size-warping wagons

I always forget how bad non square shit looks

Isn't it weird how your eyes are all squarefagged up and it looks wrong to you, but I can't figure out what you're talking about?

I can't seem to wrap my brain around the quest log in adventure mode. What exactly is the small map and how does it relate to the travel map?

For a fort of 110 whats the ideal number of military dwarves you should have? I was thinking 30, 20 axes and 10 maces who act as guards to defend caverns and entrances (less mess with maces than axes to clean up)

Depends on your threat and their equipment/training. there is no one size fits all answer.
Lose a few more fortresses and you'll be able to estimate better.

OFFICIAL RANKING OF NON-ECONOMIC STONE

SEDIMENTARY(THE BEST)
>Dolomite. Sedimentary, magma safe and flux. Best stone in the game. Even looks pretty.
>Limestone and Chalk. Sedimentary flux, looks nice.
>Everything else

IGNEOUS(TOLERABLE)
>Obsidian. Not flux, but still pretty fucking cool. Easily the best igneous layer stone
>Gabbro. Only way to get diamonds or nickel. Not hideous. Otherwise unremarkable
>Everything else

METAMORPHIC(TERRIBLE)
>Marble. The diamond in the rough, marble is the only good metamorphic layer stone. While it doesn't make up for metamorphic's other gaping flaws, marble at least mitigates some of them
>Quartzite. Cool name, not hideous, and magma-safe to boot. Vastly superior to the alternatives
>Everything else

CANCEROUS SHITGARBAGE(THE WORST)
>Schist
>Conglomerate
>All non-layer, non-economic stones with the exceptions of Cobaltite, Olivine, Serpentine, Cinnabar, Jet and Graphite

SERIOUSLY FUCK THIS SHIT
>Conglomerate

Small map is what you've seen from your position while you travel, so you can see distant peaks and such, towns that aren't obscured by mountains, rivers, forests, etc.

If you know the location of an event you can zoom the cursor to that location and figure out which way you need to travel.

I had the idea to try and alter the gm-editor army teleport tweak I use to aim it based off of the quest log cursor but couldn't get it working.

Though I am testing out the expanded metals setup I was working with another user on here a while back.

I can accept these terms.

Trying to figure out how to trap and transport something big and murderous so I can have gladiator fights.

Anyone done this before?

>Anyone done this before?
No, you are the first to come up with the idea of traping and transporting big and murderous things for gladiator fights.

Approaching into the third year of the autism fortress. So far it seems to be going fine, a kobold thief and some macaques cause us problem, but luckily i had made my steel axedwarf squad by then. We are currently in the process of making some macedwarves before we are ready to breach the caverns and get some indoor pastures and shrubs set up.
We've somehow run out of stone, though this map only has chalk and jet and microline but fuck that shit so i need to mine holes in the mountains far from the fort, which could be risky with these cliffs and stupid animals.
Luckily, the river is frozen, so if they fall we can atleast recover the corpse.

I wasn't asking that literally, you actual autist, I was asking for help.

Sorry, I'm only a figurative autist, and therefore I am of little help to your problem.

All 5 of the fluxes and obsidian are economic stones.
Gabbro doesn't contain diamonds, kimberlite does, which is placed by default in your "cancerous shitgarbage" category.
Your list, by default, places siltstone, mudstone, sandstone and chert above obsidian, marble, and all manner of other excellent stones, which is objectively wrong.
Kimberlite, bauxite, brimstone, petrified wood, rutile, mica, pitchblende and microcline, all patrician stone choices, are in the "cancerous shitgarbage" category.
Basalt is a pretty cool guy, he's magma taking it easy.
Cobaltite is dirty nigger that ruins otherwise beautiful marble formations.

Your list is bad and you should feel bad.

How buggy is latest version? What's up with no Therapist?

>mica

Don't talk shit about mica.

>disliking best rock
I bet you're into orthoclase you filthy deviant.

Fuck off mica shills.

Is there a way to set up custom profession lists like dfhack or therapist without using either of those? Going through each individual dwarfs labors is a pain in the ass.

Name another mineral with cleavage this fine. Protip: you can't.

>wanting squished distorted text
Who default master race here?

The only thing worse than orthoclase is mica.
Mica is like if you ground up orthoclase, shit in it, mixed it up, stuck it underground for a few thousand years and then called it a rock.
The only nice thing to say about it is "At least it's not conglomerate"

Maybe 40:
20 axes and/or swords
10 hammers
10 crossbows

>crossbows
Why not just atom smash your useless dwarves instead? It's quicker, easier, cheaper and more effective in fortress defense. Lower mortality rate too.

Crossbows are good for toxic fume or webber FBs.
If there is a FB that can web or insta-kill your dwarves you should use crossbows.
But go ahead and send your legendary axe lords into a cloud of unknown toxins.

And I was making fun of you for not understanding how to do a simple thing. I don't even understand what you're having problems with.

I think maces are almost strictly worse than war hammers, aren't they?

>Crossbows are good for toxic fume or webber FB
Not really. They'll shoot once, forget they have quivers, drop their crossbows on the ground and then suicide charge whatever you told them to shoot at. Usually they'll miss too, since skill doesn't affect anything about ranged attacks except the recoil(it takes about 3 days unskilled and only 1 day when you're legendary+5) and even if they do hit, it will do pathetic damage. Assuming it even hits something worth hitting and not the ear or the third finger right hand, it has to be lucky enough to penetrate the skin(extremely rare thanks to how small bolts are) and then hope to chip a bone or pierce an organ(again, unlikely due to how small bolts are). They cause almost no bleeding whatsoever, so the only way a ranged attack will ever kill anything is a lucky shot to the heart, throat or eyes(assuming it manages to get through and pierce the brain)

Crossbows are pretty much only good for crippling unarmored enemies from a distance, things that won't pose a threat to your unarmed marksdwarves when they bug out and start meleeing(assuming they don't die from jumping off your battlements).

Hammers hit deeper. Maces pulp faster. Prior to the pain nerf, this made maces a bit worse in combat against living enemies of sizes close to normal civilized creatures, who would often have a bone broken or chipped by a hammer in a couple of moves, pass out from pain, and have their head exploded. This advantage that hammers had lessened as the enemy got bigger, and was practically nonexistent for the most dangerous enemies, which neither was particularly suited for. Maces had a slight advantage against undead, due to a higher contact area equating to better pulping potential.
Now that pain isn't as much a deciding factor in combat it's hard to say which is better against gobs and such, though hammers are probably still a little better. In practice, though, either one's superiority would only be a factor for equally kitted and skilled opponents, which isn't ever the case in fort mode. You can give your dwarves whatever weapons you like and they'll stomp all over normal invasions without issue.

I station them behind fortifications overlooking a long/serpentine path that the FB has to walk along to. They will keep firing and can cripple and eventually bleed the beast to death.
And even if it's not a poison/fire/webber FB it can still be good to let them cripple/wound the thing before letting your melee dwarves at it.

l2fortification user

Not that invasions are really a thing to worry about in this version. They are extremely rare.

You're wrong on a few counts.
Marksdwarves will empty their quivers before they consider entering melee range. They'll only do so if they have an unobstructed path to a visible enemy, including climbing paths. In most cases, roofs (for archery towers) or closed shooting galleries (for interior defense) will prevent them from being able to do so. Being unable to reach an enemy in this situation, they'll take a pickup equipment job to reload (possibly with some "interrupted by scary thing" cancellations along the way). When a marksdwarf does find itself in melee, they don't drop their crossbows. They use them as melee weapons, using the hammer skill. Bolts of sharp weapons-grade metal will almost always pierce anything they hit of a softer material. Bronze, iron and steel bolts are highly effective against nearly any threat a fort can face.

They're really not. Maybe you're just making poor embark decisions. Or is this an old ebin meme come back to life?

youtube.com/watch?v=wzlTr-3sBlU

MICROCLINE BEST ROCK

Microcline is straight up immersion breaking ingame with its elliptical formations.

What the shit?

I just figured out the reason I can't track down my squad leader is because she was kidnapped from another site, imprisoned at this fort, then later elected to a position/given a squad while still imprisoned, but since forts don't have spots for prisoners she's in limbo unless I can get her to appear properly with gm-editor.

Definitely. curses_800x600 is where it's at.

Default+1 master master race.

Of course not.

Well I use phoebus.

>skybridges
Fuck yeah

What mod should I install to get more colorful types of wood? Either adding new trees or recoloring existing ones would be fine. I've been building an above-ground town out of wood yes I am aware that this is heresy and I hate how every single building is the same ugly-ass shade of brown.

Well, couldn't get her to show up and don't wanna risk dropping her identity into a dummy unit so I just swapped the position/squad to another dorf, I'll see if I can find her later on.

>fSnowine of dwarves!
I enjoy the sprawl, dig that whole fucker out and line the cliffs with windowed rooms like a natural skyscraper!

Find this line:
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]

Under it add this line: [DISPLAY_COLOR:X:Y:Z]

I think it's 1:7:1 for bright blue, 2:7:1 for bright green, 3:7:1 for candy cyan, 4:7:1 for bright red, 5:7:1 for bright purple, 6:7:1 for bright yellow, 7:7:1 for white.

You can put a 0 on the end for darker versions and I think changing the 7 alters how minecarts/barrels display?

I don't really want to plug in random colors myself, though I suppose I can if I have to. I was sort of hoping somebody had already done the work of picking colors that are at least somewhat based on the RL appearance of the wood.

>made it all the way through the aquifer on the left side
>screw up while trying to finish the right side as well
>entire bottom level is now flooded to 7/7
Fuck.

Most woods are already brown, birch is white, fantasy woods are fantasy colors. What's the problem?

Ah.

Birch is brown according to the wiki. The only aboveground trees that aren't brown are featherwood (white) and glumprong (purple). And those only spawn in good and evil biomes respectively.

It's not really a problem, I was just hoping there was a mod that could add a bit of variety, like what you get underground with all the different colors of stone. But I've finally got my glass industry up and running, so maybe that will help.add some variety instead.

Yeah, the things you make with birch become brown for some reason, probably because it just uses the default template referenced. The trunk, branches and logs are white, though. Which is probably not what you're interested in, I see.

Well, from looking around more, yeah, there should be a lot more variety in the colors.

The raws actually use lots of different shades for wood: peach, tan, olive, rust, etc. There's a file somewhere giving a specific RGB value for each one, and they're all different. But the game's algorithm for mapping from RGB to the 16-color display palette maps every single one of them to brown.

Yeah, tossing that [DISPLAY_COLOR:X:Y:Z] line in the wood definition is what is important apparently, almost all the woods are left brown, even stuff like birch. I'm playing around with some colors after noticing that persimmons and ebony are in the same family and deciding fuck it, that's enough justification for me!

>People who engrave the entire floor of their rooms

What objection could you possibly have to engraving rooms?

I'm talking about people who just engrave the floors of their rooms corner to corner. That shit looks like ass. Please, engrave only the walls of your rooms and if you engrave the floors engrave it in a pattern, like perhaps in a ring two tiles smaller than the wall.

WHY THE FUCK ISNT THE DRAGON BURNING THOSE STUPID TROLLS

You mean in non-obscured mode only? Or are obscured engravings also a problem?

Now I'm not sure what you're talking about

They're the best thing honestly, stop cave adaption but don't expose dwarves to sunlight so they're happy and not puking.

You can set engravings to be "obscured", which makes them display differently on the screen but has no other effect (it doesn't hurt room value or anything). I think obscured engravings look the same as smoothed walls/floors, but I don't know for sure.

Oh, huh. I never knew that. Well, in that case, that's acceptable. I meant visually, engraved floors that you can see typically look bad and clustered

>haha kid let me tell you how to engrave your shit
>by the way how do engravings work

100% agree. I always set ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED in my init files for that reason. There's also a way to toggle obscured/non-obscured for specific areas from the designation menu.

Is the dragon hostile? If so it's probably too busy destroying that statue it's standing beside to.give a fuck about some trolls.

>Ever wanting to engrave something and have it not show up visually
What a fucking copout. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Word.

Once a tile is light it's light forever no matter what you build there. If if's outside/light it doesn't reverse cave adaptation, it just stops it from progressing for the few ticks while the dwarf is on the tile. At best they'll just make it take a little longer for cave adaptaion to set in. Outside tiles (which are always light) are required to prevent it, and will trigger negative effects in dwarves that have already become cave adapted.

Well, in this case you can.

No, is a well-trained war dragon.
A troll go into his chamber and free the damn thing and now is going rampage, I hope it don't die.

In other news, a fucking human crossbowman go ape shit just when the siege hit, he kill a carpenter and injure two other dwarf before it was put down.

>rampage
Post combat reports.

Is just killing everything in 1 to 3 hit, fucking brutal

Very nice. Seems the gobs have gotten a few hits in on it. Assuming it survives, let's hope it doesn't get infected. Even if it does fall, that's as good a way to spend your dragon as you're likely to get.

Goddammit, I know it, fucking dragon

Shit, second sentence should say inside/light, not outside/light.

Is the dragon incinerating your own military now? I can't really tell with that tileset, but those look like dwarves in the room with it.

Yes, and I can't even order to kill it because is my own pet

With tiletypes the flags are skyview (sv), subterranean (st), and light (l). Skyview is the inside/outside, subterranean is whether it is above/below ground and can't be undone as I recall. When you're in adventurer mode you get the "you can not see the sky clearly" when inside.

newfag here, I installed a new tileset, and I think I did it wrong because 1/3 of my screen in fort mode is taken by the menu, with the little map it it's 2/3.

how do I fix this?

Hit tab

I did it to hide the little map, but I want the menu on to know what I'm doing. Is there any way to keep it like it is without tilesets?

I've been getting super fucking frequent invasions, with well over 50 invaders per siege. It is terrifying.

I need to deal with this but I don't want to resort to
>traps

The biggest problem I'm facing at the moment is that my military dwarves just run out of steam, while they can deal the first 20 invaders with minimal losses, the next 20 shit all over them because they're collapsing from exhaustion.
How can I train them to have better endurance?

Oh, I do have a bit of candy, thanks to a rather long vein I found, and a little steel from trading but otherwise everything I have is bronze.

One arrived as I was typing this... it's fucking ENORMOUS.

SEVENTY. THREE. INVADERS.

I only have 47 soldiers and most of them aren't that great, because after the last invasions I greatly expanded my military, but fuck me. 73. Help.

Which tileset, if it's square they're going to be wide as shit.

Oh, it's square. A shame really, guess I'll have to stop being a lazy fuck and get used to tab.

Thanks.

I like the idea of having festivals, but there are a couple things which bother me about them right now. One is that since they're currently worldgen/legends mode only, you'd think they'd be presented a bit better in legends mode. As it is, however, they spam the histories with around half a dozen minor events each time the festival is held. Why can't they just have all that stuff in one event, or at least cut it down by half by just having "the storytelling of the festival occurred" rather than "the storytelling of the festival began" followed by "the storytelling of the festival ended"? Is there any way that something else can happen in between the beginning and ending of a part of a festival?

The other thing that bothers me, though only a little, is that they use incense, but there's no incense in the game yet. I want there to be procedurally generated incense recipes for each culture, which may or may not vary according to time and place and other circumstances. Like maybe the goblins might use sliver barb in their incense or maybe after Urist Mcexplorer tamed the elk birds of the deeps in 89 the dwarves start using a new type of incense made with elk bird fat or something.

Jokes on me it's actually seventy four, another one arrived. I'm hoping that'll be all.

EIGHTY INVADERS. AH. AH. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This man watched a werebear kill all of his friends and family. he felt nothing and then he was mad. 16 dwarves of 21 lost.

Yeah, there are three tile attributes, and each of them has two possible states. You don't need tiletypes to see them, in fort mode they're displayed at the bottom of the right pane when you're looking at a tile. The light/dark and aboveground/subterranean attributes are kind of redundant, as aboveground tiles are always light and subterranean are always dark/inside. The only variable is whether or not an aboveground/light tile is inside or outside.
How they behave in relation to cave adaptation is a bit counterintuitive and seems to confuse a lot of players. For preventing it, inside/outside is the important attribute. Dwarves that never go outside will still become cave adapted regardless of how much light they get unless they spend literally all of their time on inside/light tiles.

>surrounding by 7 goblins and being shot by 2 bowman and dodging like is nobody business
Goddamn, trances are OP, the nigga only has 5 in dodger too

There should probably be some kind of limit on the number of possible dodge successes in a given increment of time. Like maybe every dodge roll gives an agility-dependent penalty to dodge rolls for the next 20 ticks, or something like that, so that after so many dodges in a short period of time it becomes increasingly less likely that subsequent attempts can succeed. A similar system could work for blocks and parries. That would probably go a long way to fixing the current issues with legendary militias being invincible even when grossly outnumbered.

>after 6 pages of pure dodge and kill 2 goblins he finally passed out from exhaustion
You did good, little dwarf, you did good