youtube.com/watch?v=70YDpSo2MRI
youtube.com/watch?v=2wOrr9NvlTk
youtube.com/watch?v=phGDR9y912s
youtube.com/watch?v=-_TfMx-hf1M
youtube.com/watch?v=n8sl-3NmrZY
youtube.com/watch?v=SilpVU_5M1I
youtube.com/watch?v=bKIj9QOm1KA
youtube.com/watch?v=6Dq-mjj8kb8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)#Reformation
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=9ti59NdbG1c
youtube.com/watch?v=lJEZ4ODUuk4
youtube.com/watch?v=33jeQutO58o
youtube.com/watch?v=KeP1GG5wi-E
youtube.com/watch?v=GLQC7vqgviE
youtube.com/watch?v=70YDpSo2MRI
youtube.com/watch?v=2wOrr9NvlTk
youtube.com/watch?v=phGDR9y912s
youtube.com/watch?v=-_TfMx-hf1M
youtube.com/watch?v=n8sl-3NmrZY
youtube.com/watch?v=SilpVU_5M1I
youtube.com/watch?v=bKIj9QOm1KA
youtube.com/watch?v=6Dq-mjj8kb8

hahahaha that's not a real place you retard, that's from Assassin's Creed, kys idiot

>video games

Yet another retard who can't distinguish between the Dark Ages and the High Middle Ages. At least post something from the right period.

>retard who can't distinguish between the Dark Ages and the High Middle Ages

That's most people except a few history nerds.

Literally the best historical period, life was also better than in Ancient Greece and Rome (not everybody was le patrician).

>(650-750)
Yet another retard who can't distinguish between the Early Middle Ages and what is refered to as the "Dark Ages", i.e. 6th to 14th century.

Dark ages refers to 476-800, not the entire medieval period.

>Dark Ages is a term of historical periodization traditionally meaning the Middle Ages. It emphasizes the demographic, cultural and economic deterioration that supposedly occurred in Western Europe following the decline of the Roman Empire. The label employs traditional light-versus-darkness imagery to contrast the "darkness" of the period with earlier and later periods of "light". The period is characterized by a relative scarcity of historical and other written records at least for some areas of Europe, rendering it obscure to historians.

>The term once characterized the majority of the Middle Ages, or roughly the 6th to 14th centuries, as a period of intellectual darkness between extinguishing the "light of Rome" after the end of Late Antiquity, and the rise of the Italian Renaissance in the 14th century. This definition is still sometimes found in popular use, but increased recognition of the accomplishments during the Middle Ages has led to the label's being restricted in application. Since the 20th century, it is frequently applied to the earlier part of the era, the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century). However, many modern scholars who study the era tend to avoid the term altogether for its negative connotations, finding it misleading and inaccurate for any part of the Middle Ages.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)

>During the Reformations of the 16th and 17th centuries, Protestants generally followed the critical views expressed by Renaissance Humanists such as Petrarch, but also added Anti-Catholic reasons. They saw classical antiquity as a golden time, not only because of the Latin literature, but also because it witnessed the beginnings of Christianity. They promoted the idea that the intervening 1000 year "Middle Age" was a time of darkness, not only because of a lack of secular Latin literature, but also because of what they claimed as corruption within the Roman Catholic Church: Popes ruling as kings, veneration of saints relics as pagan superstition, a celibate priesthood, and institutionalized moral hypocrisy (among others).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)#Reformation

thanks for confirming what i said.

He said that you should not use that term.

I have never once heard someone say "Dark Ages" while refering only to the 6th to 9th centuries. Pic related, typical fedora "Dark Ages" maymay.

For 99,99% of people, "Dark Ages" = Middle Ages

The Dark Ages is the period between the fall of Rome and the rediscovery of Roman civilization in the Renaissance. It's 1000 years during which Christianity ruled supreme, all science and culture was forbidden, and anyone who attempted to seek knowledge was burnt at the stake for witchcraft. People were so poor they ate mud, bathing was forbidden too, and the few who survived into adulthood died horrible deaths at the hands of the genocidal Inquisition or in the constant bloody wars and massacres committed in the name of the Christian death cult.

>xX_PoL1T1caLLy_InCorr3cT_Xx
ruins the pic

this

The average man died in his late 30s, there were so many plagues lasting forever, it was always raining and thundering, flagellants running around screaming all the time, creepy doctors with beak masks walking slowly at night, there were many victims of islamophobia and everyone was killing poor black cats. Oh and did I forget to mention that knights raped, killed and looted random villages ? Ugh, I hate this period.

>I have never once heard someone say "Dark Ages" while refering only to the 6th to 9th centuries
That's probably because you've never read a real history book or had a discussion with anybody outside of the internet and instead derive all your information from wikipedia and infographics refuting meme charts.

There are different 'Dark Ages' around the world, like a Byzantine Dark Age between the 7th and 9th centuries and a Cambodian Dark Age between the 14th and 19th centuries, but in general usage it refers to the relative decline of civilization (urbanism, literacy, infrastructure, effective administration, etc) in the west after the fall of the Western Roman Empire and is generally synonymous with the second half of the Migration Era, or between about 400-750 AD, ending with the rise of the Carolingians. Sometimes it's extended up to the 11th century when the High Middle Ages begin.

It's a controversial term today because of it's dismissiveness of Early Medieval accomplishments, but when it's still used in academic literature it always refers to the Early Middle Ages, never the High Middle Ages. The only people who would ever refer to the High Middle Ages as 'dark' are people with absolutely no interest in history for anything other than it's usage in agenda-pushing.

>you've never read a real history book or had a discussion with anybody outside of the internet and instead derive all your information from wikipedia and infographics refuting meme charts
Wrong, get yourself a new crystal ball.
>There are different 'Dark Ages' around the world, like a Byzantine Dark Age between the 7th and 9th centuries and a Cambodian Dark Age between the 14th and 19th centuries, but in general usage it refers to the relative decline of civilization (urbanism, literacy, infrastructure, effective administration, etc) in the west after the fall of the Western Roman Empire and is generally synonymous with the second half of the Migration Era, or between about 400-750 AD, ending with the rise of the Carolingians. Sometimes it's extended up to the 11th century when the High Middle Ages begin.
I already know this.
>It's a controversial term today because of it's dismissiveness of Early Medieval accomplishments, but when it's still used in academic literature it always refers to the Early Middle Ages, never the High Middle Ages.
I know.
>The only people who would ever refer to the High Middle Ages as 'dark' are people with absolutely no interest in history for anything other than it's usage in agenda-pushing.
I know.

Nice shitpost autismo.

what is even your point then?
you complain about "the dark ages meme" yet are well aware that nobody takes it seriously and when they do the period is much more narrow and the term much more fitting

If you know these things, why are you acting like you don't? What the fuck is wrong with you?

>nobody takes it seriously
That's where you're wrong.

>What the fuck is wrong with you?
Is the thread's topic "Let's talk about the Dark Ages" with pic related? Do you suffer from brain damage?

I struggling to understand what you're actually trying to say or argue here anymore.

You acknowledge that the Dark Ages refers to the Migration Period/Early Middle Ages, so you're not arguing against their existence.

You acknowledge that the High Middle Ages aren't regarded as dark by anyone with even a slight interest in history, including just about everyone on this board, so it wouldn't make any sense to argue about that here. You keep posting this same meme graph over and over again as if it's what you're trying to refute, even though everyone on this board regards it as a joke. If you want to argue against images like this, why not argue with people who actually believe in it on facebook or somewhere like that?

Why are you even here? What do you want to discuss?

This thread is literally about the meme.

Such productive commentary

Enjoying your first week on Veeky Forums so far?

Welcome to Veeky Forums. Now get out.

meme

let's just agree that
>dark ages = middle ages
is retarded

But what Protestants mean by Dark Ages did exist throughout all of the Middle Ages

I don't understand the bottom of this picture.

Methodist here.
What have your Good Works been thus far this week Catholifriends??

It's not clear at all, but I think that's that book by Archimedes in Jerusalem that was overwritten with prayers.

Which is completely unrelated to the Catholic Church or any concept of Dark Ages or Middle Ages which only apply to Western Europe.

So you'd prefer they tossed it in the trash?

People will never stop using the term so we might as well confine it to the era it most refers to.
>I have never once heard someone say "Dark Ages" while refering only to the 6th to 9th centuries.
Thats because you live in a hole. Stick around buddo. For everyone i know dark ages = 500-1000, you know, Vikings, Charlemagne, stuff like that

Hello Varg

Since Christianity regarded learning, mathematics and science as paganism, its followers went about the empire destroying all the schools as they had done the libraries, temples, hospitals and works of art.

Rome under the Popes sunk to an illiteracy that has no parallel elsewhere in the history of civilization.

Romans 2:6

Not him but that's a false dichotomy and you know it.

>what is refered to as the "Dark Ages", i.e. 6th to 14th century
nope

Does anyone have the edit with the Finno-Korean union

meme

More like "The Dank Ages".

>proddy meme
Lol that's an Atheist meme

>they built some nice churches so it wasnt bad
the middle ages had a culture dedicated to the afterlive because the real world was so shitty for the average peasant (95% of the people)

meme