Manual Transmission Car Recommendations

I'm going to be getting my permit in a few days, and sadly i'll be forced to learn to drive on an automatic, however I do have some prior experience with using manual transmissions on a quad. I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good buy for a first vehicle for someone with an understanding of manual transmissions but is still in the process of learning how to drive a car.

M35A3.

>M35A3.

I'm not really a truck kind of guy.
Plus I think 23k is a bit too rich for my blood right now.

I probably should also say that i'm an amerifag, just a heads up on that.

It's ogre for you.

I'm confident in my ability not to destroy the transmission, I think i'll be ok.

Bumping

Get an auto with an actual manual mode (not one that only shifts even when you don't tell it to) to get the best of both worlds in comfort and fun.

Remove "only"

>auto with manual mode
That sounds really stupid and doesn't sound good at all. Not only could I see something like that fucking up an auto transmission, it seems as if it's an addon that is a hindrance to the performance of the transmission itself and only adds on extra baggage.

Get a Honda Civic. The transmissions are bulletproof and the high redline means that if you fuck up by going into lower gear instead of a higher gear, you'll still be like 3k rpm below the redline

You're a fucking idiot and don't know what you're talking about. Seriously you are dumb

I got a manual and went from loving driving to hating it. It really is just a miserable experience unless you have a fast car. Don't fucking get a manual unless you're getting something sporty

If you could back that up with any evidence I would agree with you.

Why does every clueless retard think manual mode is a self destruct system added by the manufacturer? It's designed to give you control over when to shift, IT'S LITERALLY IT'S PURPOSE. You're not doing some crazy hoonigan shit, you're using something for its sole intended purpose.

Tldr you're retarded.

I'm not saying it's self destruct, it lowers the quality of an auto transmission. it could be better without the manual mode. that is all I said.

>Lowers the quality
Literally how

Miata

>lets put something in the car
>that will ruin the car

It will literally say "shift denied" if you try to shift in a way that will damage the car. Every auto with a manual mode does this. You don't know what you're talking about.

Seriously even crossovers will let you stay in first or second for slippery/uphill conditions but will force a shift if you're doing something wrong.

You've never driven a car in your life

65 Mustang

When you optimize your shifts to be at an exact time on an auto transmission, the range in which you should be shifting manually is very narrow. And because of this when you put in a manual mode for an auto transmission the speeds at which you should shift up are much more forgiving than it would be for a transmission that is ONLY auto or ONLY manual

you get mediocre performance rather than optimized performance, and I dislike that.

I absolutely am the opposite of this. I can't fucking stand how boring driving an automatic is. It's so uninvolved and leaves you open for distractions. I moved to Seattle and bought a manual car without a second thought; and I'm glad I did. Even though I have to put up with traffic in it every day, it's infinitely better than what I would be doing in an automatic. My car isn't even fast, it's a non-turbo MK3 Jetta. And I still enjoy it. I am someone who genuinely enjoys driving pretty much all the time though as well as making things more difficult than they need to be.

none of this is true

>When you optimize your shifts to be at an exact time on an auto transmission
they aren't
>the range in which you should be shifting manually is very narrow.
not true
>And because of this when you put in a manual mode for an auto transmission the speeds at which you should shift up are much more forgiving than it would be for a transmission that is ONLY auto or ONLY manual
now you're just pulling shit out of your ass

I drive an 800cc shitbox and I like it's manual transmission. A manual is great unless the gears are hard to slot in and the clutch is heavy.

Can you prove that it isn't true? are manual transmissions and automatics completely identical in every way other than one shifts for you? are these transmissions optimized specifically for these types of conditions where they will be shifted automatically verses the user having to shift it themselves?

Dude, just stop posting. You clearly have no knowledge of modern semi-autos.

jesus you're ignorant

The burden of proof is on you, you're the one that is making the suggestion.

This. You're weaving these elaborate misinformed webs, and we're saying you're wrong. So conjure proof for anything you've been saying.

I am asking for proof against my suggestion that this is the case, because this is my understanding of it based on what I have seen other people suggest. And the suggestion would be that driving an Auto in manual mode seems like a poor decision for the life of the transmission. Automatics aren't meant to be Manuals. there are two types of transmission for a reason I would assume.

You're understanding is wrong. And you are wrong. Do the research yourself.

If you can't drive one kill yourself, Fag!

"It's not my place as the one with the correct information to explain anything to you, go be stupid somewhere else"

Apparently Veeky Forums is too stupid to talk about stuff they apparently know.

How hard is it for you to understand that there are automatics designed to be shiftable in a sport mode? Jesus Christ.
>Hurr auto made to be auto
>Hurr manual made to be manual
And semiauto is made to be semiauto.

>taking Veeky Forums too seriously

That was your first mistake.

I can understand that a semiauto can be shifted in sport mode, but what I have the impression of is that a semiauto would only mediocre at being both of these things, where as a strict manual or a strict auto would be far more efficient rather than having a semiauto which can go in between the two

Just use automagic, leave manual for civic racers

You're wrong.

e x p l a i n ?

no

Then i'm going to assume you're a retard and your suggestion that I am wrong is completely baseless.

I don't care.

Well thank you very much for bumping this thread then, I appreciate it.

wrong

I've been saging.

FFS. I'll speak in regards to my car. In auto mode it behaves just like any other modern auto. It short shifts for economy unless you're thrashing it, in which it will shift higher all the way to redline. In manual mode it's literally driving a manual without having to operate a clutch, and you're safe from accidentally shifting in a harmful way because the computer won't let you. Sometimes you shift with flappy paddles, but mine is built into the shifter. You move the stick left from D, and from there you move it up or down to shift up or down respectively.

None of this magically nukes the transmission. You're just taking over for the computer when it comes to when to shift.

Alright well thank you from explaining this to me. So in essence, Manual/Sport mode on an auto is baby mode manual, is what I got from that, would I be correct in that thinking?

Yes. The control it gives is limited, and requires almost none of the practice or understanding needed for a genuine stick.

Pretty much. It's easy to use while providing -most- of the control a manual offers. I like it a lot, personally. I know a lot of people will see it as an unacceptable compromise to a manual, but in reality we're all just commuting to work and grocery stores every day, so auto is nice and comfy especially in traffic, and I can move it over to M for control while hooning.

It's nice if your toy is also your dd is my point.

Its a moot point to say (modern car) manuals offer much more control over autos with multichannel modern ABS, TCS, VSC, and whatever else they can thrown in at said price point.

Most systems will NOT let you completely disable all systems completely and even then most will still provide the electronic hand of god when you overestimate the conditions.

Course with the majority of people dont even realize what a CVT is (nor have a basic understanding of slushbox automatics black magic operation) nor even research enough what style of automatic is in their vehicle (Fords automatically shifted manuals gen 1 and 2)

The biggest issue for years is that manufacturers could have made better automatics yet chose not too as regulations were easier to beat (engine wise) until that ceiling as hit very recently for automatics and how quickly they rose above manuals.
And that applies in NA and worldwide.