Oil leaks

How many cars on the road have oil leaks? Does every car get them eventually?

Mostly, yes. It's because gaskets and such eventually harden up/wear out and slow leaks start to occur.

You asked a stupid question

Why is it a stupid thing to ask? I want to know more about it and no one ever talks about it

Yes almost every car leaks oil. Have you ever looked at a parking lot? Every parking space has oil stains/puddles at the end

Most semi tractors leak a fuckload. When they pull away from the loading dock, most leave a big ass puddle.

>Does every car get them eventually?
probably, I have 240k miles with no oil leaks. Steering fluid leaks, but no oil leak.

Damn has it ever had leaks since you bought it new?

this. doesnt matter what brand of engine.

I didn't buy it new, and i'm sure there are seeps, but it never leaves a spot and there are no shiny surfaces underneath.

I did by a dodgy dakota new, and when i sold it with 210k miles there were no leaks and no seeps that I could see. 5 quarts went in, about 5 quarts came out every 6,000 miles.

>how many cars on the road have oil leaks?
Cannot determine
Stupid question
>does every car get them eventually?
Yes idiot. It's common sense.
Stupid question.

See what I mean now?

Didn't mean to upset you just curious if anyone knew. It may be common sense but it's never mentioned when talking about cars.

It's weird to think that any car from your $10 million vintage racer to your $3k civic will leak oil. Like, why haven't manufacturers found a way to make better seals?

I change my oil by leaking it everywhere and adding in new oil.

What about the filter? That's like showering but still wearing your old underwear

I wear my old underwear while I shower so it's never a problem that comes up.

Every car will get them, and more likely than not a car on the road has at least a small leak. Oil leaks really aren't top priority for keeping the car running, and sometimes just topping off with some oil is much cheaper than getting the leak fixed (for your average driver).

I thought changing underwear was a meme

I also wear pants about 3-4 times between washes

take underwear off, put it on the bottom of the shower. wash hear and let shampoo soap fall onto underwear. pick underwear up, wring it out, and hang up to dry. wash the rest of your body.

You and your underwear will be clean.

>not shoving your underwear up your ass with soap to clean it

That sounds like way more work than it's worth just to wear underwear a few more times

I was at a web dev convention and a guest speaker was talking about ... something environmental or reaching out to developing areas. Talked about how they had researched ways to wash clothes without washing machines. this was found to be effective.

I only recall this part as i was quite intoxicated and found it amusing.

...so you own underwear you have never washed?

Is this autism?

>...so you own underwear you have never washed?
Yes the ones i peeled off your mom when i made you in the back seat of a Mercury LN7

>Is this autism?
yes, I save all the underwear of women i bang, its not really a big problem because my autism prevents me from getting many women.

>being too lazy to replace a 50c piece of rubber with a spring in it

If your car pisses oil like an incontinent retard you're a fucking casual.

Seals are made of rubber, cork, silicone, or any number of synthetic products.

Even the best seal cannot indefinitely prevent a thin, hot lubricant (engine oil) from passing between it and, say, a crankshaft; the seal has to be soft enough to actually, you know, form a seal, so it'll wear out eventually.

The same goes for everything else - the constant heating and cooling of the engine or transmission, along with age, will cause gaskets and seals to fail.

If it was that easy, oil leaks wouldn't be nearly as common.

I've seen countless customers ask for us to look at the oil leak coming from their car, acting like the splotches on their driveway are the worst thing to happen all year, only to find out that it'll cost them something like $1500 to do the cam, crank, and rear main seals.

R&R for a gearbox/trans and the timing belt assembly constitutes the vast majority of that cost, not the fucking seal.