I need advice from people who can build engines

I'm hopefully going to be starting an engine project soon. I have a 78 F150 with the straight six 300 in it with over 500k miles on it. I'm looking to buy a lower miles 300 build up a bit and swap in. Now that the back story is out of the way, I was looking to put an aggressive cam in it. I went to comp cams website and the most aggressive cam they have is a .456 valve lift and 268 duration. How would I figure out what cfm carb I should run as well as any other tips?

I can help you if you decide to do a rotary swap instead

I am seriously tempted to take you up on that. I am a fan of rotary engines and would like to know how to work on them.

keking at imagining a 13b swapped f150. would be ridiculous.

If I had the money and didn't use that truck to do truck stuff, I would do it. It would piss off all the classic truck guys and 'murican muscle guys and i would enjoy it.

Why do you guys all pretend to be low key mechanics that can just perform "engine swaps" on a whim? It's a complex procedure that draws on expertise from numerous trades. Stop lying to people on Veeky Forums, it's pathetic. You can't do an engine swap

Don't build the 6. Swap in a v8.

I'm swapping in the same engine. Neither engine has any computer or wiring and the engine is connected to a manual trans. No changing motor mounts, no real wiring short of battery, starter, and alternator, I don't have to change the radiator or any hoses. Sounds really out of my league for someone who can kind of work on cars.

>I can't so no one can!
I can't do it either user, but I assume anything is possible with the know-how and funds.

V8's cost more, performance parts for them are more costly and it's going to be more work. Besides, everyone swaps in a V8, it's nothing special. To me, it is more interesting to see someone who has built up straight 6 for the fun of it then just another old Ford truck that someone put a 302, 351, 350, or LS in

Where are you? I'll sell you my 300

NJ

It's not that hard. I've done it on a AWD 1.8t Audi a4, swapping an engine in a big truck is not hard.

Well, this will be my first engine swap. Granted, I do have two friends who have done engine swaps before, but I want to do the swap on my own and not rely on anyone else. I will be getting help on installing the cam and any other parts. Like I believe I should put new valve springs in if I put in a more aggressive cam.

If you're in virginia I'll sell you a built to 400hp 302 block that's never been run but needs soft seals due to how it was stored for $400.

Deng.

Also fuck the 300 for performance, if you can find motor stands for 351m, or 302 or 351w then swap one in. Literally all you need as far as frame architecture to swap is the motor stands.

This is objectively wrong. Used headers for a 302 is like 50 does, same for a 300 are closer to 200 bucks. Clifford intake is like at the least 150 used from the bowels of Craigslist but you'll spend 3 years looking for it. I picked up a barely used Edelbrock performer for 100.

A junkyard 302 is 100-300 dollars with decent heads. A 300 is the same without the possibility of performance heads.

You'll want help. It won't be that hard though.

That almost sounds like it would be worth the trip

That's worth the trip. I'd kill for a deal like that right now.

Maybe the price for the parts isn't that far off for a V8 and 302's and 351m/w are great motors, but my truck isn't deserving of them. It's a rough, old farm truck that will never be one of those clean street trucks. I'm not looking for V8 performance out of the straight 6 either. I want it to be a little more powerful than stock and just for fun.

Where in Virginia are you?

It has an edelbrock performer on it already but no carb. My neighbor had a local shop build it out years ago for a theoretical mustang he never bought. Evidently it's got more or less the largest cam you can fit in it. Swap some GT40 heads on it and you'll probably make even more. Not sure what heads are on it now.

pls buy. I need to move and don't feel like loading it into a truck.

I got you. I've had this guy for 3 years now. Honestly, enjoy the 300 while you can. Stout motors, but mine takes 23 seconds to get to sixty and at this point I'm over going slow.

Chesterfield. Hit me at email if you're really interested.

How do I go about getting in contact with you for this motor?

Note: I am serious about it needing soft seals. It will include the dead mouse which was located in the oil gallery when I bought it. Cylinders still have machining marks and I'll pull the head off for you to look if you want.

Get a 650 carb, get an air/fuel ratio meter

Btw if you dont port and valve those shit heads that cam will be useless.

You'll need a large budget if you want big power out of the 30.

351M/400 are turds in stock form, havent been used since the early 80's and aftermarket is small, and they have oiling problems.

302/351w will bolt up to the 300 trans, have huge aftermarket support, and you can swing a dead cat in a junkyard and hit one, later ones had roller cams as well.

Best bang for your buck is to stuff a 460 in it, aftermarket is good for these as well, but be prepared to spend big bucks.

Theres a few things you can do to the 300 to wake it up. Ditch the log style manifold and install exhaust manifolds off a fuel injected 300, they supposedly flow as well as a header. Next, get an intake from clifford or offenhauser, run a carb in the 400 cfm range, or a junkyard motocraft 2100/2150 for a bit more power and keep decent fuel mileage.Then bump timing up and recurve the distributor. With that work the 300 will outperform a stock 302 in the same truck

Pic related, my 79 f150.

All you need is a tree, a chainfall, basic tools and a weekend

Lol this guy hasn't done an engine swap.

fuck you. the 300 6 is an amazing motor. i would be doing the same thing as Opie if i didnt already have an extra 302 laying around.

i'm a lawnmower mechanic, and even i can do it.

heck i'm even restoring this bloody thing.