Mfw when americans change their oil at 5k miles which is roughly 10k km and my car manufacturer suggest oil changes at...

mfw when americans change their oil at 5k miles which is roughly 10k km and my car manufacturer suggest oil changes at 30k km or 1 year interval

i should really start changing the oil on my own

30 k km is a lot what do you drive ?

i change my oil every ten thousand miles

in my evo ill probably only change it once over the ENTIRE coarse of ownership due to the low miles i put on it

I drive around 5k km a year, but I change oil every half year

You probably are running synthetic, but even then 30000 km is a bit much. I typically do 4000 miles/change on conventional.

2015 Volvo V40

yea its full synthetic, still its a long interval

How can someone drive 5km a year? Isn't that like 2K miles?
I put 36,000 miles on my car the first year I got it. Are you a NEET?

Oil change intervals are a meme. Change your oil when it gets dirty. Modern engines run clean.

I change my oil every 2000 miles and I always use full synthetic high mileage oil.

What the fuck is wrong with you people.

you should change your oil every 7500 miles tops.

My car supposedly has an oil minder, that tells you when to change the oil depending on how you drive. You change it whenever the light comes on, or every 10k miles, whichever comes first.

Bought the car with 42 miles on it, now have a little over 7k miles on it, still haven't seen anything telling me to change the oil. Apparently I drive like a grandmother.

How do you know when it's dirty

It looks dirty.

don't listen to him. you can't tell oil condition by color.

Not that guy, but I live in the city and I use a vanpool to go to/from work. So my 2016 car still only has 4.5K miles on it. I am close enough to shopping centers that I can ride a bicycle there and back for incidentals and only use a car if its raining or I have heavy things to carry. In fact, most of the 4.5K miles is from driving for pleasure or going to another state.

I suppose I will waste the first 3 years of that new car's bumper to bumper warranty by not using it for more miles. Each mile represents a lot of depreciation value for the car!

It came with synthetic blend oil, but I changed it out for full synthetic Mobil1 at the 500 mile point. It came out smelling very "gasoliney" which is probably due to short trips not getting all the moisture and gasoline driven out of the oil. I changed it at 4000 miles with the same Mobil1. It was quite gasoline smelling oil too. I may have to have no more than 3000 miles between changes or every year max if I keep using it only for short trips. I'm just not getting the oil hot enough for a long period of time to boil off the volatiles. So they're basically contaminating and thus diluting the oil.

>How do you know when it's dirty
Other people will tell you that you can't tell if it's too dirty by simply looking at it. And to a point they are right. If you ONLY simply look at a thick amount of oil, it will look opaque with dirtiness but yet still be usable. In such oil, if you smeared it thinly on a surface, you see some amber. But if it were too dirty, it would be dark even if you smeared it around thinly on a surface.

Too dirty is a late oil change of course. It's better to change it before it gets to the "too dirty" point.

>driven 7k miles on original oil
yeah you sure sound like my grandma you stupid cunt

you're wasting your money dumbass. That is just a total waste

>I put 36,000 miles on my car the first year I got it

The average is 10,000-12,000 miles~ a year

>I change my oil every 2000 miles and I always use full synthetic high mileage oil.
You shouldn't use high mileage oil with a new car. The high mileage oils have seal swelling chemical(s) to compensate for worn seals when cars have 75,000 miles or more on them. For a new car, swelling the seals only makes the seals tighter and thus they wear out sooner.

If you were carelessly using "high mileage" to mean "extended performance" oils such as what mobil1 has, then that is different altogether.

Neet here. He probably is. But even then, i still got a lot more roads covered.

>I put 36,000 miles on my car the first year I got it
>The average is 10,000-12,000 miles~ a year
Since he put 36K, another poster put 2K, and another poster put 4.5K, those three extreme car owners almost average each other out.

Oil change intervals per OLM for my 2010 cobalt turbo with GMS1 tune were about 11k miles in the colder months, 13-14k miles during warmer months.

I reclined that fucker a dozen times a day for 160k miles in five years and all it ever did was smile and ask for more revs. Never lost a perceptible drop from beginning to end of oil life and it always looked the same light, transparent caramel brown.

>highway queen and never exposed to dirt roads or dust in the air.

>Oil change intervals per OLM for my 2010 cobalt turbo with GMS1 tune were about 11k miles in the colder months
>light, transparent caramel brown

I change mine at 5K intervals and I've never had caramel color. It's always been blackish oil for my various chevrolet cars purchased new. I only use synthetic oil ever since I noticed conventional turned dark much sooner.

>My car supposedly has an oil minder, that tells you when to change the oil depending on how you drive.

My new GM car's owners' manual of course mentions the Oil Life indicator, but also says to change the oil once per year if I haven't driven enough miles.

>30.000km
>1 year interval

Why not 2 years?
I change it every 15.000 / 1 year.

1 year at most because short trips means the oil gets diluted by gasoline and blowback moisture that doesn't get evaporated by having the engine run long enough. At some point, the anti-corrosion additives have too much to deal with even though the oil itself is not worn out by mileage.

So I have to agree with my GM owner's manual on the 1 year max regardless of mileage. There's other factors at work than just physical wear from the oil molecules getting sheared through use (mileage).

>Oil change intervals per OLM
My 2016 Chevrolet Malibu OLM seems to be targeting approximately 4,848 miles as the interval target. It's not down to zero yet, but at the 2/3 point, that seems to be the target. I wonder if it uses 5000 as the base and then makes adjustments from that.

>changing oil
Ahaha plebs, my car burns hella oil so I just throw a quart in there every week or so.
Fresh ass oil 100% of the time.

>Ahaha plebs, my car burns hella oil

Hella sounds like you hella have hella CARBON DEPOSITS. Better hella keep using top tier gasoline hella forever.

A redline a day keeps the carbon away.

Just wondering as the carbon builds up, it eventually flakes off in chunks. Those super hard chunks go down to the tiny tiny pores of the catalytic converter and plug up a pore. Combusted gas flow through that long thin passageway is thus impeded by the chunk lodged in the passageway. It's not going to burn away either as both the amount of oxygen is low and no gas flows in that passageway once it is nicely plugged up by little bits.

Over time, enough carbon chunks might fly off those valves to plug up a lot of the passageways in the catalytic converter. Would that reduce horsepower? Reduce efficiency? Decrease MPG?

>not using paint thinner every now and then
>not just gutting the cat at that point
>having a cat

30k km is normal for diesel.

Original poster here, I'm not a NEET but my work is 8km away