Is military enlisted a meme? I wanted to go back to college but of course a poor fag cant afford to pay for it...

Is military enlisted a meme? I wanted to go back to college but of course a poor fag cant afford to pay for it. People been saying you received free education if you're enlisted. Some also say its a meme and waste of time. So what is it?

I did 4 years active duty in the AF, got out and now I'm in college to be a CPA. It's not meme. With disability and BAH from the GI Bill I make more than I did when I was in. If you can deal with 4 years of nonsense, you'll be set for life afterwards.

IF you make the right choices.

Is it possible to study for your degree while enlisting in AF?

It's better to join the workforce and develop civilian skillets, IMO.

Some military skills don't translate well.

Yes, depending on your job you'll have plenty of time for outside studying. If you know the AF has the job or a similar job you want to do on the outside do that. Too many people join the military to do badass stuff, which is fine. But there aren't any civilian tank gunners or infantrymen.

Use the military to set yourself up for civilian life after you're out.

You should choose your branch based on the jobs you want when you get out. If you want to go to college, Air Force is likely the best route. I wish I would have done military when I got out of high school. I would've had a blast doing it.

garage owner here.
a lot of ex-GIs end up as mechanics, I prefer to hire them because they know how to work hard without complaining or telling me how they should do their job.

but I will say that they end up fucked in the head in a lot of cases. there is a guy on my payroll right now who I don't let operate the tire machine because the sound of the tire popping seems to make him go all quiet for a few hours. he also doesn't like air tools. another guy still wears his dog tag on his boots and moves it over when he gets a new pair. another guy is 32 and still doesn't know how to drink in moderation. he isn't an alcoholic but whenever he does drink he drinks far too much. many such stories.

I have only known a couple out of maybe 2 dozen vets who don't have anything strange about them.

long story short don't come out fucked up in the head. oh and the pay is just shit.

It depends on what job you get, I suppose. The military is a huge commitment. In my opinion, there's a path of least resistance to get to where you want to be, and for most people it probably doesn't HAVE to involve signing away 4 years of your freedom to Uncle Sam, but maybe for a lot of people, it is the best option.

For instance, say you wanted to work in IT, and you're starting from square one-- 18 years old, no money, no experience etc. The military route, you would sign up for 4-6 years of active duty, go through bootcamp, get some training where they might go over a couple of certification programs with you, then stick you in a squad doing basic IT shit for the rest of your enlistment making near minimum wage. When you get out, you could go into helpdesk or if your skills are good enough, maybe be an admin, or you could go back to school and get your degree for free and go from there.

It's not a bad deal, but there might be a less painful way of becoming a sys admin if that's what you want to do. If you stayed civilian, it would take you maybe a year to get your A+, Net+, CCENT/CCNA certifications and maybe even a couple more certs, and that's from the comfort of your parent's house if that's where you live at 18, plus maybe working at a casual part-time job to pay some bills. You could immediately enter the workforce and gain RELEVANT experience right off the bat, without having to worry about getting deployed or stressing out about military fuck-fuck games. It wouldn't be too hard to pick up a 2 year degree and continue off that path.

But that's just IT, it's sort of an outlier. But I can't really think of any other military job that would transfer over as good-- Air Force has some medical jobs but those are very hard to come by these days, I just spoke with a recruiter last week and he said that. Besides that, the only real benefit to the military to me is the GI bill and stable pay. Is it worth 4 years? Up to you.

What could that guy have possibly done?

I've posted before in other threads, but I'm going in as enlisted for the navy nuke program. You have to score >80ish on your asvab and it is a 6 year commitment +2year in reserves. Pay is 35-65k throughout the promotion scheme I'd estimate plus I get a 12k enlistment bonus upon completing school and start as an e3 in bootcamp. They will work me like a slave during my 2 years of school and even worse when I'm in a submarine doing 18-24 hour days sometimes. I'm doing it to challenge myself and afterwards there are many good 6 figure jobs for navy nukes. I have a college degree in finance from a private school but didn't take enough math and physics to qualify for the officer program. I fucked up and didn't network and quit my first job at a financial call center because it sucked balls. This will allow me to get into a technical job in a different field and turn me into a workhorse. I would do air force or OCS program in another branch if I didn't want to be a nuke.

what state do you live in? when is your ship date? I am in DEP for Navy right now. I was going to go nuke for a year but didn't get approved in the very last stage, right before I got the page 13. I am going EOD now. Average salary 123k if I don't explode. That is private sector though. probs 45-75k while in and going through the ranks. hazard pay and all. and a fat bonus. what was your asvab? mine was 91.

I live in MA, meps in Portland Maine. Got a 97 on my asvab. I go to boot camp on March 21st idk where that will be desu. Godspeed user may we cross paths at nuke school. I also did sub volunteering.

Nvm just reread you ain't Nuke anymore, Godspeed regardless.

Basic training will be at Great Lakes Illinois for all Navy, and your other training will be in Charleston I believe for nuke. Good luck. Suicide rate higher than dropout rate in nuke school.

Army medic checking in. I say go air force because they have a legit community college and you will have more chances for school than in the army. I joined because I was told I'd be in a hospital working everyother day 12 hour shifts. Instead I'm in the field for 2-5 weeks every other month or so. My times almost up though and hopefully I can find a way to go into nursing after. I joined right after high school and have no college whatsoever. Honestly I'd like some advice as well guys. Thanks in advance.

You've been putting nearly all your money in a Roth IRA and TSP, right?

I haven't I send 5,000-6,000 home every year. I tried one roth IRA until I realized after 10 years the money I would have put in it would go to a life insurance fund instead of an IRA so I canceled. With only a max of 300,000.

Not sure I understand what you're saying about the money going to life insurance instead of the IRA

How the fuck do I get a score close to that? I've taken it once and got ~60 and I felt disgusted with myself. I'm 22 and planning on joint the AF for active duty in the summer.

Honestly, it's a little hard to practice for the real ASVAB. You never know what kind of questions they're going to throw at you-- they won't be exactly the same as the practice questions you'd find in an "ASVAB For Dummies" book, for instance. I got a 98 on my test but all the books I studied were basically worthless as none of the information I got from them ended up being on the real test.

My advice, look at the MAGE line scores/jobs and figure out what your strengths, weaknesses, and interests are (if you don't know, MAGE is Mechanical, Administrative, General and Electronics for the Air Force).

Admin jobs are hard to come by unless you're a chick, so I'd narrow it down to M, G and E-- which one interests you the most? Then look at the jobs for each specific category and determine what your line scores need to be to qualify for those jobs, and study accordingly.

As far as studying to get a higher score... you need to start reading voraciously. Read about fucking everything, read science articles and practice your arithmetic and algebra, read books and try to work on your vocabulary, shit like that. Just practice

Also with a 60 on your ASVAB, you're definitely going to get in if it's what you want... the minimum is a 36. Might not get your dream job or whatever, but then again nobody really does.

Medic here. I etsd in September after 4 years.
Your EMT and military stuff will give you about 25 credits at a university. Depends on the school but that's how much mine gave me.
Just use the GI Bill and get into a nursing program or whatever you want to do. I'm going into biomedical engineering because I'd rather make stuff for the healthcare field than deal with patients.
Regardless, just get out and use the Post 9/11 GI Bill, that's the one that pays your rent and books and everything while you go to school. Apply for fafsa and Pell grants too because when the gi bill pays the school all that money will get reimbursed directly to you to pocket.

Honestly, being a medic gives you nothing but an EMT cert, which is worthless unless you work as one or a firefighter. Just use your gi bill and medical background to do well in whatever you choose. Don't waste your time. Take as much credits as possible because the gi bill only gives you 3 years, and a degree takes 4+. Take as much as you can and live off the BAH so you don't have to work and can focus on all those classes.
Good luck.

Just be smart, idk. I wish I had studied. I just woke up and took it and got a 91 without even knowing what was going to be on it. If I had studied I am sure I would have gotten 99. I really want to retake it tbhfamalam

Thanks for the advice! Good luck to you as well