Why were pickups never really popular in Europe?

small roads and no manly men

/thread

Because you will get you shit stolen.

We never had a use for them.

Vans are more practical.

too much rain in england at least, youd forever be lashing tarpaulins on. so much easier to get a van

Europe is full of thieves. Nothing stored in the bed would be safe.

They are, they're designed with other priorities besides picking up butch men.

Ayo, you sayin das only da case in Yurop?

unimog is best mog

Small roads, high fuel prices, and the widespread use of vans.

Here in the Netherlands, they're getting a bit of a resurgence due to a tax loop that allows you to get a Ram 1500 for the price of a 320d, with similiar costs per km.

Lockable bed covers exist.

>Manual starter

Cuz it's not the right tool for the job, and $$$. I like having a pickup for my hvac stuff over a can, but they have pros and cons. Can over engine designs are compact, but unsafe

it's actually a salt weapon

That's a front mounted power take off (PTO). Can be used for winches and various agricultural appliances.

Van*

That van looks suspicious...

...I wonder what might be in there...

..oh

sleep tite mazda

They've been selling really well for the past few years now(Hilux, Amarok, D-Max)

As for why we have a much smaller percentage of trucks than the US; vans built on car-chassis with smaller engines are more economical. They can also be smaller and better to drive on the smaller roads we typically have here

They exist, but vans have historically been much more widespread, and local hauling of large & heavy stuff is usually done by tractor

rest in pieces bmw

builders all use vans, normal people drive cars. the only people trucks are popular with are farmers who all use defenders or japanese pickups

The only pick up I want.

Europe didn't have motorcompanies that made trucks, so they didn't get bombarded with the idea that trucks are manly (which really stuck with inbreds and retards in America). Vans are greatly superior for work too.

Why did pickups became popular in murica? It's like microwaves that also try to be ovens and fail at both.

Because we don't know why they got really popular in America

Euros can't afford any vehicle that isn't a 1L diesel hatchback, nor can they afford things that you would need a pickup to transport.

>yaayy
>let's get some shit done today.

>superior for work

If I'm a gypsy in Europe and I'm collecting scrap metal to feed my 14 children why would I want a van instead of a pickup truck?

Here's your (You), you really earned it

Because loading and unloading dirt, gravel, horse manure, etc into a van is difficult to do and even harder to clean

And loading oversized cargo into a van is an even bigger PITA that can quickly cross into "impossible, get a trailer" territory where with a truck you would just need a lot of fucking rope

Since Americans own so much fucking land and large houses, all of the above is fairly common once-thrice yearly activity. Since there's no real disadvantage to owning a truck where the roads are straight, the gas is cheap, and the speed limits are low, why the fuck wouldn't you?

A van of course so you can hide kidnapped children in the back. Moot point anyway because gyppos don't buy, they only steal.

Point is, only real reason trucks are popular in the US instead of vans is that motor companies made trucks and wanted them to sell.

Basically this, campanies create needs and tries to justifies them, in this case being manly.

You can't be over 70iq if you think a car makes you manly/feminine.

Europeans have ACTUAL trucks and utes... not penis compensation mobiles

Smol trucks exist in the US of A

So you're saying a guy who lives and works in the city is totally justified for buying a full size pick-up and literally never uses it for any of the "truck" things you just mentioned?

>zero squat over rear axle
That's actually quite impressive.

I suspect ops inquiring as to why the lack of full size trucks in yurop, not baby fart quarter tons.

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE YOU DUMB AMERICANS

>Live in the "city" (american version)
>every other person has a double lot
>a single lot is half an acre
>what the fuck is a garden?

I know a lot of people that live and work in suburbia and they own 1/4 ton pick ups and they've literally never used the bed for any of the aforementioned "truck purposes"

"I don't wanna scratch the bed, etc etc"

They're manlier than buying a mini-van.

Because if you need a full size truck, then a van is a lot more efficient. There isn't really a reason to own such a truck except penis compensation.

>b-but what about that one time every 5 years when you need *something that's a little easier on a truck*
Then for that one time, just tow shit. No point buying something that will work worse 99.99% of the time because it might work a bit better that one 0.01% of cases.

Biggest issue is how fucking ugly they are, they're the Walmart clothing of vehicles.

Seriously how do you even drive around in one in public? What if people see you?

except that's wrong. A truck can seat more people and carry a loads like soil and crushed stone. not to mention long lumber and tall item such as appliances. Easier access and better for securing loads as well. vans suck.

How often do you buy a new stove or long lumber? If you're a regular dildo you'd just a "regular" vehicle. If you work in construction then you'd have a work-type vehicle.

To justify say having a pick-up is the best for every situation is just obtuse.

pic related, you.

europe does have full size trucks. american's just can't into small cabovers.

I see some here where I live, but not a whole lot. I think it makes sense though, since most people don't actually have use for one. I personally too can't see why anyone would want to buy one unless they actually need it, but I can see the reason for having one if you need the carrying capacity, towing ability or offroad capability.

On a side note, I've seen a few pickups around here that were so massive it was absolutely ridiculous. I guess those owning them just want to show off.

Rational thinking

often enough to justify using the right vehicle for most jobs; a truck.

>more people
Crewcab van
>carry a loads like soil
Drop side van or a medium duty truck

shit interior, too hard to park.
truck>van

Except that a pickup would have a longer hood and a more set forward front axle and therefore be even harder to manouver and park, all while offering less cargo space. And people don't buy work vehicles for the interior, you dumb fucking prick.

except and crewcab van with a drop side bed is a truck.
just a bigger truck with a shitty interior that can't double as a family vehicle on the weekends.
vans are for the gays

I don't know what you mean by "full size" truck, and if it's like the full size women you see over in your country, but we have these things instead, and they do the job fine.

Europeans don't have this strange lifestyle where they can have several vehicles like Americans can, yet still decide the vehicle they use to move gravel around for their office job needs to work as a sports car and a luxury car at the same time.

Nice quads. half ton and up is considered full size.
The truck you posted has many less uses than a traditional american full size.

Not the Americans' fault they have better lives.

American country men have one vehicle to:
>Pull trailers
>Haul hay, wood, equipment etc.
>Take the kids to school
>Drive to work

You can't load a van like you can a truck bed. You lose eurocucks. It's over.

>american trucks can double as a gravel mover while being nice enough for an executive job
glad you finally get it.

>The truck you posted has many less uses than a traditional american full size.
>Translation: I can't pick up cute traps with it, or give my wife a lift to her boyfriend's house
Let's be honest, this is the true American lifestyle, not the truck based heroism in the adverts.

>interior
>in a utility vehicle

Fag

Too much rain and truck driving is just not connected to manliness.

traps are pretty heroic

>not wanting your utility vehicle to be comfy
If you can have both, why would you not?

>The truck you posted has many less uses than a traditional american full size

What are you smoking?

>he doesn't get messy at work
you don't need a truck then

Pickup trucks that are actually used for work usually aren't used for family life because they're constantly full of tools and stuff.

And pickup trucks that are bought as family vehicles usually aren't used for work, only for sissy tasks like hauling the garden trimmings a couple times a year.

You won't see anyone hauling their kids around in one of these.

Half ton? In the bed, yes? Those trucks are capable of hauling 1000-1300 kg in the bed before they hit the legal weight limit.
Without the legislations they could do more - probably 2000kg safely.

Lots of guys that use the same truck for work as they do on the weekend. You should get out more.

Oh shit - an American who isn't acting like a retard, what the fuck's happening.

Instead of 5 mexicans gardeners who will gladly work for 40 dollars a day each if you don't sell them out to trump, in a toyota/nissan pickup with all their equipment..

you get two polish chavs in a van

are you fuckin' stupid? those mini duallys are rated to tow 10k+ lbs.

base model 1/2 ton cabovers have a much higher GVWR than base model american 1/2 ton pick ups.

>that pic

i want it.

Higher qualifications, job prospects and less low income laborers?

I want to know why he has plant pots on the roof rack

Its a better work vehicle in every single aspect
Sorry you ameripoors can't afford more than one vehicle and have to settle for a jack of all trades master of none small penis pos

cool. too bad they can't double an office truck or pick the kids up at soccer practice in relative comfort and style.
>uses

for what?
to have the cage full of dancing strippers?

in my area people are either:
air force

or

IT/Software development

and yet they all have trucks, and watch football, and play golf wether they like it or not. It's the US.

Are you actually retarded?

>moving goal posts from muh lumber and crushed stone and Other "truck" uses to literal mall crawling faggotry
LMAOO

>office truck
nice shitpost

>pick the kids up at soccer practice in relative comfort and style.
a fucking twingo has more comfort and style than a truck, you retard

>in relative comfort and style.

nice weasel words.

crew cab versions exist as shown here

>too bad they can't double an office truck or pick the kids up at soccer practice in relative comfort and style
>or pick the kids up at soccer practice

Holy shit, you ARE a cuck

I'm actually German.

What kinda work requires a pickup truck but leaves it tidy enough to use as a family vehicle? Or are we talking about bullshit work like "I need a high riding 4x4 because I go on an unpaved road once a week" here?

>american truck can move literal goal posts and pick the kids up in style

:^)

>driving 50+ miles in a ford transit van
>hauling anything actually heavy in a ford transit van
>owning a transit van

>Poorfag americuck NEEDS one vehicle to transport his cuck shed and pick up his wife's kids from you basketball practice
L
M
A
O

Poorfag cuckold

>firewood and animal feed in the bed
>children in the back of the cab
>cousin in the passenger seat

>he doesn't move his house and car in his transit van like
I can smell the estrogen from here

These are actually a set of folding warning lights for construction vehicles employed on highways. Sorry for being unable to find a bigger resolution.

Electricians don't like leaving their expensive equipment in the open for blacks representing over ten percent of American population to come along and steal stuff =//

Buncha firewood and a couple bags of dog food, big fucking deal.

most tradesman double their work vehicle and their daily.
I feel like I'm explaining a normal thing to people who live in the basement who've never seen the light of day. Turn on a tv or something guys. life is happening out there!

Ah, thats actually way easier to answer

I'll quote myself from the past;
Different culture, different history, different people. In short; completely different market

America has, for the most of modern history, been a lot richer and had a stronger economy than the rest of the world. This has allowed them to enjoy luxuries that the rest of the world couldn't. This is the reason why automatics are so much more popular in the US as they used to be much more complicated and expensive, which was not optimal for us europeans. When the T-Ford had been out for a few years and "everyone" in the US had one people were still relying mainly on horses, the odd bicycle, skis and similar tools of transport here in my country of Norway.

As for the history of where we live; Europe has a lot more old cities, which were designed and built without cars and other vehicles in mind, and therefore the streets tend to be a lot narrower, with tighter turns, less parking space and such, meaning that larger vehicles can be a pain in the ass to live with. The US has done a much greater part of its expansion together with the automobile, and built its cities, villages and streets with it in mind.

Another point I'd like to mention is World War 2. After the war Europe was pretty much broken, with a completely fucked economy and a whole continent to rebuild, while the US was left with its infrastructure untouched and having lost a much smaller percentage of its people. The US could enjoy prosperous times of trade with Europe as it was rebuilding (yes, the US did a lot of good things to aid us in rebuilding, not gonna deny that), while the average European would be dirt poor for many years to come. This would mean that any car they would buy would have to be fuel efficient, small in size and cheap to purchase. This is the reason why you often think of cars like the original Volkswagen Beetle, Citröen 2CV and later on the VW Golf as very much "iconic" european cars.

End of quote

As for more modern times; fees, license restrictions and taxes make them for the most part too expensive for the common folk.

Simply put; these pickups are just too big and too fuel inefficient to be attractive for a normal person who wont use it for work. Contributing to this is the fact that a full-size pickup that is registered as a B-vehicle (standard car) is limited to a highest amount of 3500kg total weight + a highest amount of 3500kg towed. Most full-size trucks will allow you to reach these when registered as a B-class, but you're basically locking away so much of the vehicles potential behind a simple registration. If it was registered as a light truck, or C1, you'd be able to fully utilize its entire load capacity and towing capacity

An example; guy I know drives the F350 in the picture - his truck has a legal payload of 405kg, or 900 lb. Meanwhile, my much smaller, weaker Toyota that is registered as the same type of vehicle has a legal payload of 695kg, or 1530lb.

I drove pic related when i was stationed in Japan and i fucking loved it as a work truck. especially because i was also the one that had to maintain it.