/agdg/ - Another Game Doing Good

>naysayers get BLOWN THE FUCC OUT edition!

> Current Demo Day 12!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Thread

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/KUSDs9vt (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/8DFkkce3 (embed)

> Engines
Construct 2: sciira.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyoganes.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2-d.org
UE4: unreaIengine.com
Unity: unity3d.net

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengamefart.org
blender-modeIs.com
mayamg.com/textures

> Free audio
freesoumd.org/browse
íncompetech.com/music
freemusícarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0I2RLUQaZfA
youtube.com/watch?v=ewFnCWyXyEk&t=911s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ENGINEDEV BEST DEV

>average sales
>blown the fucc out

So this is what it means to be AGDG.

>tfw bought dream king to give it a shit review
>steam won't let you give a review without playing for at least 5 minutes
>game crashes on launch

it isn't

>can't copy the OP like a non-retard
>begins the thread with Endica shitposting
Off to a great start.

We can save this thread. All that's necessary is to post progress.

Post progress.

But I have no visual progress to show!

old progress is still progress
youtube.com/watch?v=0I2RLUQaZfA

but today i finished the code to the ghost mode. before, when the game restarted there was a chance of deleated the camera with the fucking ghost.
and i finaly fixed a bug were itens kept on the player after he droped then

I'll post mine again since I fucked up and posted just as the last thread died anyway.
+ Robot friendo
+ Buff timers
+ Damage Numbers
+ More movement

>Players Total: 2,292 +- 3,175

what does this mean? two thousand players give or take three thousand? how does that work

how much does long, boring data entry work bother you anons?
i actually find it pretty comfy

Lol. He LITERALLY posted this as if it's progress. What a fucking moron. :)

USE XML OR SOME OTHER SHIT HOLY FUCK

@165369145
>.gif
>doesn't move
Classic Reek.

That's a damn shame. Alright, I'll post progress.

Field navigation's framework has been set up now and flags are appearing like they should. All that's left to do before this whole system's up and running is to determine the rules for flag facing depending on your destination and to hook all that back in to the Adventure Creator plugin. Then, just as soon as I get the item code working for it, you'll be able to navigate back to the Camp/Village or the Scar depending on which Wayfinding Crystal you're using.

It sure is. Looking alright though the sudden transition between alive/dead is a little rough. Looking good overall.

Nice. I like the subtle camera movements going on here.

Though I've spent a lot of money to avoid doing such work, I have on occasion done a lot worse than that.

>still obsessing over some whodev who dropped by and posted his game in 2015 and triggered you
This isn't a meme kiddo it's just you being a nodev and a fag.

Isn't there code in GML that lets you create arrays automatically instead of having to type out 'name_array[#]=' every single time?

Then all you'd need to do is type out the sprite names while still being able to add comments next to each name.

literally who? literally what? are you having some kind of panic attack or something dude?

>everything about this thread
Oh well, guess I'll wait til tomorrow to post progress

Your graphics do not blend together at all. Find a pixel size and stick to it. Your sprites have different pixel sizes and not to mention the camera not aligning to pixel movement.

>sourceposter is so mentally owned by nick ridgeway he had to create the new thread in dedication to him
Is there anything that doesn't throw you into a shitposting panic, sourceposter?
Please stop making new threads. When the janitor inevitably deletes all your shitposts they can't delete the OP. But they should.

Not really, no. You could make a script that does that heavy lifting for you though, sure. I did that for my GMS Exterminator prototype because it had a lot of databasing in it. Doing this with a singular array assignment per individual index/action would've been madness.

Have you heard of .csv? Why aren't you storing that data in an external file?

Anyone spanish here?

It means the sample size is so tiny you can't really get a fair picture.

it's like i'm modding darkest dungeon again!

I hate file operations. I hate every aspect of it. So if I can avoid it, I do.

>things nobody cares about, the post

officer pixel laying down the pixel law

not that user, but it does make it look a little thrown-together (the cloaked figure looks damn blurry compared to the others, for example).

This kind of thing is exactly what they're for though. File operations are literally 8 lines of code to loop through a file of indefinite length in GMS. Plus you get to have a neatly formatted sheet document that you can modify even while your game is running, reload the values and keep testing the balance. Don't even need to stop your game.

oh cmon man, it's just a name table.

sure, you can just for x array[x] = thing, but then you have to go down and change x anyway, so whats the point.

What the fuck is that

AGDQ: Don't treat minorities like trash
Runners: Ok

Nazis: *autistic Screeching*

The game dev equivalent of sewage. The "man" who made it posts it and then bullies himself everyday for 8 hours. He's been doing it for 2 years.

>here's my token mention of danny my boogeyman!
>see all my shitposting? danny all along :^)
Are you not aware of how many times you've done this song and dance? End your life.

I'm gonna make a tropico-inspired game but it's gonna be text-based because I'm shit at graphics and art. Will post progress in x hours.

>you can modify even while your game is running

That's a whole bunch of extra code unless everything is constantly opening the file, looking for a block or 10, reading that entry, and then closing that file after copying the value to its internals.

Also it's another thing I have to have open when I could just have it open in GMS. And even though it's '8 lines', the edge cases that need to be accounted for are numerous.

Much like people asking why I refuse to make my own conversation system or why I refuse to use regular expressions, I'll just have to refer you to my default answer: I'm not doing what doesn't need doing when doing it would make me lose time for relatively little gain.

we have enough autism in our general as it is thanks

Tell us more about how much more money you make than Endica dev :^)

Good luck, user!

Fuck you.

The enemies aren't the same size as the player characters, you're right, but I just drew them up in 5 minutes when I started the project to have some enemies to look at. Background is a placeholder, UI is just for devving.

I'm not sure what you mean by the camera not aligning to pixel movement?

It could just be the low resolution I was having to record in combined with the dark background. Does this look better? Also, that's not me. I appreciate the feedback.

>That's a whole bunch of extra code
It's one script with < 50 lines of code and a way to call it. Just reload the whole thing, done.

>doing it would make me lose time for relatively little gain
That's the wrongest assumption I've encountered this week.

Not those anons but I think they'd still be mad about how the interface PPI doesn't match the character PPI.

yeah, much better.

Drunk on failure.

Does anybody know why Unity does this to culling matrices? Everything is totally fucked in regards to occlusion culling when you start dealing with custom matrices. Hell, this on just has a farther away near clipping plane and it's still super jacked up.

>that post was him talking about himself
Jesus Christ sourcefag really is mentally ill.

Time to edit an entry in GM:S: A couple seconds
Time to edit an entry in an external XML/CSV DB: More than a couple seconds if not open. A couple seconds if open.

Time saved by making notes and then implementing changes later vs. doing hot-reloads on a live file: Significant.

Amount of time it'll take me to figure out how to create such a system and implement it properly in such a way that it works properly: Longer than its taken me to program the rest of the game at that point.

>wrongest assumption I've encountered this week.

Then you assume wrongly. I tried to do an external CSV and called it quits after a week of it refusing to work perfectly. I was making a prototype for a game -- not a prototype for database management.

so the guy made $9,000?
oh wait, after steam and taxes, unless he made the game in 3 months, many people make more than that in a regular job.

YOU CAN DO IT!

youtube.com/watch?v=ewFnCWyXyEk&t=911s

The meager success of endica destroyed an already devastated mind. Our boy soresfag may never level design again.

It's fine for placeholder art, but just be aware when you're make the game's final art, it's best to have a consistent style. And for pixel art a consistent style means having an aligned pixel grid.

Will I get in trouble if I put in underaged sex in my game? It's purely text-based so technically it shouldn't be illegal, right? I don't care if people will hate it because of that, but I just don't wanna get in legal trouble. There's also gonna be underaged guro sex, but it's completely optional for the player.

Is there any DDD fanart yet?

Depends on where you release the game I guess but I don't know shit about laws so yeah

Nobody cares about text. You're good.

Reminder to follow the best video game design philosophy.

Alright, thanks. I'm also just gonna be using an alias anyway. Wouldn't want anyone in real life to know what I made aside from my girlfriend whose completely fine with it.

>render huge landscape
>+500FPS

>render text from sprites
>~100 FPS

The shaders themselves are nothing special, really just puts everything into position. Could it be the amount of draw calls? When I had my terrain, I rendered that with one call, yet I draw every letter individually.

Hey senpai,
I got my swimmy frames done.

Next step I don't know at what point I have enough tiles for a whole level to not seem redundant.

>Could it be the amount of draw calls? When I had my terrain, I rendered that with one call, yet I draw every letter individually.
Yes.

>I draw every letter individually
nigger what are you doing

>Could it be the amount of draw calls? When I had my terrain, I rendered that with one call, yet I draw every letter individually.
Superyes.

Dang I wish I had a loli loving gf

Literally one of my favorite books. The story's actually good.

Well she's not loli-loving but she's fine with me being attracted to underaged girls. She doesn't care.

I'll admit I don't know too much about the finer aspects of pixel art, so thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Oh, I didn't see your post! I've only been working on this for about a week, so it's mostly just getting the combat functional right now. I do plan on adding animations for when characters are damaged.

Also thank you!

We have a winner, I guess. Thank you for the assistance!

Buttons!
Look will change though.

I lol'd when the Charlotte thing happened I wasn't expecting it at all

Other user here. I've read it too, but somehow I didn't find it good. Can you tell me what you liked about it? I'm hoping that maybe different view will change my opinion, cause maybe I'm missing something.

are you going to make a vaporwave shmup?

This is AGDG not Amateur book review club

its legal in america, but certainly illegal in other countries

is the background for FF3?

Trying, yes.
It'll be something very small though. First game.

Well that's the next best thing

fuck off vine your game is shit and you're a woman that means you're inferior to us men

B-b-but that's just inspiration!

Just joking. Sorry for making you angry.

Make the shadows transparent.

FFVI

Probably a good idea. I actually don't know why the cloaked characters shadow was appearing on top of them. Just a bug.

really user i want to help you out because i think i might know what you're dealing with

are you trying to make a typing animation text by drawing each letter?

find me one normal person who plays video games who can even see mixels, i dare you

You'll want to make those shadows under the fireballs to move away when they float "up." Right now it looks weird as fuck

vagina > penis

>normal
Nice to see you've left some room for backpaddeling later.

Reminder that this was one of the best selling games of 2015 and it looks like shit

Normies don't care about visuals.

>have vagina
>can't code
haha

A vagina can be penetrated by a phallus.
A phallus can penetrate any orifice it wants.
Phallus > vagina.

Why defend this garbage?

>FFVI

what country you from? unless it's Japan than it's FF3. you wouldn't say your favorite western was Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo, you'd say The good, the bad and the ugly.

normal in this case just means anybody who plays video games and has nothing to do with gamedev

you don't have charming characters, good story, good gimmick and, most importantly, preexisting fanbase
you need these visuals you lazy fuck get back to grinding art

Strange considering how often people tend to call next gen games "Ps2 games" in terms of graphics.

>homosuck fans are normies
Far off.