RWD conversion

I'm toying with the idea of converting this trash box Century to rear wheel drive with some manner of LS. Has anyone here done a RWD conversion of a FWD car? What tips can you give me? What problems should I be prepared for?

Other urls found in this thread:

hotrod.com/articles/1302sr-independent-rear-suspension/
hotrod.com/articles/42647-1995-chevrolet-monte-carlo-v8/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you need to learn how to weld if you don't already. You need to widen the tunnel to the back. You need to decide on a rear suspension design and figure out the geometry. You need to redo the front suspension. You need a custom front subframe.

There is no easy way to do this. It's a LOT of welding. You'll wind up dropping 10k easily on a RWD conversion before you get to the engine and transmission.

Sell that pile of dog shit and get an Impala SS Wagon of the 90's. Those are sweet rides if it hasn't been fucked with.

Just buy one of these

The logistics are pretty simple. You're just sending power to different set of wheels.

Hardest part is finding parts, and finding time to do all this. You'll need engine, tranny, diff, entire new subframe. I guess if you can fab most of it, you should save some money. Either way you'll be spending enough money during this you'd be better off just buying another car. Not to mention how much time this would take.

I guess if you have nothing better to do with your time and have money to spend on something kinda pointless, go for it.

I know a guy with a rwd celebrity

Get an H-pipe and a pair of aggressive mufflers.... oh man. Bad mutha fuckarr

Sell it, buy a Roadmaster wagon. Tah-dah.

Yes! Thank you

I've been talking with my brother, who is willing to donate his 3.42 posi rear from his Camaro, since he's going to buy himself a Moser 12 bolt. I would probably have it rebuilt with a 3.23, since I'm a bit limited with regards to tires that will fit back there. I want this to still mostly appear stock, after all.
My brother is a welder and is willing to help me make a trans hump and whatever else needs to be done.
>don't bother with that piece of shit, get this piece of shit instead
they're all niggered out where I live. I'd have to unfuck it before I could even start having fun.
I figured it would be "simple", in that I can use off-the-shelf or junkyard stuff for the most part. Most difficult/expensive thing is going to be the wiring, as it is for just about any engine swap. That's what Painless is for though, right?

HIVEMIND
X-pipe is objectively better for SBCs

A-body wagon century eh? DO you like it, do you like to weld?

yeah, that's me. problem?

You look like a fucking ghost the way your just looming in the background of the photo

What do you have planned for the rear suspension?
Personally, for a swap like this, I'd look into getting one of those Jaguar IRS's from the 80s/90s Jags. It's all self-contained so you don't need to figure out geometry issues. It's popular in the hot rod scene. Plus, IRS and inboard disc brakes.

Ya I worked for Spintech Mufflers for years, I've dealt with both, before and afters and trying out both, but there's a reason I suggest H pipe, Raw noise. It' aint a fast car. But oh man the H stirs up the flow and makes them sound gnarly. I'd at least want a V8 to put that much time and effort into a project.

Unfucking something is way easier and cheaper than trying to custom-fab basically an entire car with no experience you mongoloid.

on paper, my plan is to use a Camaro axle, possibly narrowed, with the wagon's shock and spring mounts welded on. Springs for a dustbuster van, shocks for the wagon. Pic related, aside from the drive axle being there it's not a whole lot different from what's going on back there with the stock torsion beam.

> trying to custom-fab basically an entire car with no experience you mongoloid.
Caucasoid, actually. And that's part of the fun. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm going to learn. That's why I'm asking here. Or are you advocating, like the others who posted B-bodies, that I shouldn't even bother because it hasn't been done before?

And what does it matter to you, ultimately? If I somehow structurally ruin this literal $200 car, where is the big loss?

At least look into the Jag IRS. It's popular for a reason. Also you may find guys who build street rods to be of big help here.

We are trying to save you from a hellhole of a project. By all means put the thing in the scrapper, just trying to talk sense into you.

The guy already has a daily driver, another Buick Century wagon with an LZ9 3500 V6 engine swap.

This is just something he decided to do for shits and giggles. It'll never see DD duty, and he got the car for $200, so it's not a big loss. Even if it goes nowhere, he'll learn a lot doing it.

In that case go for it. Was missing the shits and giggles angle

I will admit my google-fu is weak. Would you have any links that might help me?
thanks for the backup. pic related, my other wagon.
sorry I didn't clarify about the side project aspect. I am into this car for absolutely nothing yet, and as I see it, in its current condition, anything I do to it can only improve it.

probably the easiest way to do it is to drop it on a F-Body floorpan
but that's still very fucking hard to accomplish

This should help.
hotrod.com/articles/1302sr-independent-rear-suspension/

>F-Body floorpan
He'd need to extend the floorpan a fuckton and merge it somewhat with the Century pan to keep the rear seats, but yea. It could work. GM did something very similar when building the 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Pro Street concept.
hotrod.com/articles/42647-1995-chevrolet-monte-carlo-v8/

>I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm going to learn

no, you're not

you're gonna tear it down, maybe buy some parts and never accomplish anything, if you have some decency you'll scrap it but it will probably just sit in your yard for years because "I'll finish it one day it will be sick!"

There's no point to fucking doing this at all, to make it a functional RWD fucking LS swap you'd have to dump so much time and money into it it's absolutely retarded to even think about

just fucking get a Roadmaster wagon and save yourself the pain if you value your time

>they're all niggered out where I live. I'd have to unfuck it before I could even start having fun.

believe me, the amount of "unfucking" you'll have to do to a Roadie is much less than the retardation you're planning to get into

If you're planning to swap the motor there's very little unfucking to be done beyond yanking the old motor, you complained yourself about wiring

>before I could start having fun
yeah yur project sounds much more manageable you fucking tard

If you're actually retarded enough to proceed with this, I sincerely hope you don't pass on your genes

jesus christ this triggers me

Thank you for your input. I will take your position into consideration.

quads for truth. and you post a pic of the LX9 in your DD Century plz?

Sure. Here is how it was when I bought it from LKQ. It's out of a 2005 Malibu.

OP MAKE YOUTUBE VIDEOS SO WE CAN WATCH AS YOU GET ABOUT 30% OF THE WAY IN.,.....JUST FAR ENOUGH PAST THE POINT OF NO RETURN

THEN FIZZLE OUT BECAUSE IT WAS A REALLY BAD IDEA

Maybe he could use the floorpan off some Bewik. But I was thinking something that has aftermarket and an LS1 would be a better starting point, it doesn't have to be an F-Body.

As it sits now. For sleeper purposes, I'm using a Grand Prix upper intake and the car's stock exhaust.
I aim to please my audience.