/fwd/ General

Let's see if we can get a general started about FWD cars, specifically driving them, techniques, and going faster with this drivetrain.

Also I want to see how long we can have this thread without v6 automatic Mustang and Camaro owners jumping in and shitposting constantly.

And remember, understeer is often a result of the driver, not the car.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4ZN1aP1o_m8
youtu.be/Ceb4861SG7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=QRso1A0VScw
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>drivetrain primarily built for economy cars
>somehow has gathered an enthusiast following

a y y l m a o

>inb4 torque steer is a feature
>oversteer is gay
>tricycles are the superior mode of transportation

>Also I want to see how long we can have this thread without v6 automatic Mustang and Camaro owners jumping in and shitposting constantly.
>this post

This is Veeky Forums. you can't have anything nice here.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ZN1aP1o_m8

RSX best fwd

I have a different edit of this but this version should still summarize this disaster of a thread

>yfw this shitbox fwd had to be banned out of WRC because it was winning the AWD class in several stages

FWD is not an economeme, or somehow technology has put FWD up there on par.

God tier 90s fwd right here

Planning on getting one of these next month.

>a car out of class that was literally 500 lbs lighter than its competitors won races!
>out of class guise!
>dont even TRY to look up the reasons!
>just believe me!
>you guise!!1

They were quite good and remain hidden gems.

306 maxi was good on tarmac. On gravel,,, no. Why? The french national rally series for F2 kit cars(FIA 2-liter cup in FIA events) was 100% tarmac back in those days. So they made the cars almost like trackcars. On top of that, they were much lighter than Group A cars and had more freedom considering the engine rules.

They were good, but banned out of WRC is just lying.

pic. Seat Ibiza kit car, won more international events than the 306, but is uglier.

When I saw the thumbnail I thought for sure I was looking at a Calibra.

>>oversteer is gay
Naw man you're confusing this with the Subaru general.

I'm considering pulling the trigger on an 02 5 speed with ~30k km for 8. I owned a 93 Integra +10 years ago and it was great, how does the rsx stack in terms of reliability to the teg?

lol 'lets talk about driving them'
>proceeds to post pictures of racecars and old race results

Good job OP

Relevant point: You really can't overdrive FWD, at least if you want to be fast. You really need to know the car's balance and not push it over the edge otherwise the corner is blown and you just have to wait until the next one.

>at least with econo-box drivetrain you usually get decent power to compensate

I think that's why so many autists dislike them, they can't overdrive the shit out of them while looking cool and not loosing too much time so they stick to 'muh rwd' and never admit that their skills are lacking. Go look up rally drivers advice, most say to start with fwd because it teaches you control and smoothness on loose surfaces, similar to how in road racing the suggestion is karts and miatas.

>still glad I own rwd and only drive fwd at events

FF-FR-4WD-MR battle - Integra R, Silvia S14, R32 GT-R, Impreza, MR2 - Tsukuba 1996
youtu.be/Ceb4861SG7Q

All this video does is make me sad about not getting the later revisions of the SW20 all over again.

Would this thing ever fit in an EK Civic? I've always loved the way they look, but I won't degrade myself to the level of owning/racing anything with a Honda drivetrain.

>I won't degrade myself to the level of owning/racing anything with a Honda drivetrain.

kek, you would still get btfo by any turbo k swapped EK

There's an LS rwd civic on jewtube. There's also a rb26 swapped one too

OK I've been looking around for a while and this seems to be a good thread to ask this, if I want to rice out a 2013 automatic Ford Focus SE, I know the handling on it is shite because dry weather understeer but does anyone know about a cheap duratec bolt on turbo kit? I want to at least have mine not struggle to hit 90mph. I know it's a cheap shitbox and I should have known what I was getting but I can't replace it for 5 years and want to enjoy it as much as possible pls

Your problem is the automatic trans.

If you want turbo you'll be spending big bucks.

Just trade it in and get the rs

Kek, any turbo K swapped EK would still get btfo by a turbo LS swapped EK

There are so many more creative engine swaps out there, most of which have so much more potential than some garbage B-, K-, or H-series

Took the touge last night
All good, ms3's are a bitch to launch but it handles like a dream. Plus, that rolling power when its not spinnings its wheels.

Had this car for a year now, its perfect. I would of gotten a subie, but I couldnt find any hatchbacks near my area in good enough condition. This was the quickest, and I can't wait to start modding it.

>ACR
nice.

Nice car user. MS3s are awesome.

The best BMW ever made

Xsara a best
Honda a shit

Ech that seems to be the only solution, unfortunately since I got my used one with daddies big buckaroos I can't trade, I really cucked myself into this fucking corner but it took me until owning my first car and watching races and driving my friends RX-8 to realize how important a good dd car is.

Instead were gonna turn it into the shittiest slav blyatmobile wish me luck.

Yeah. Great little cars. I still have one, but it's sidelined until I can find out what keeps draining the battery. It certainly is a blast to drive, though. So nimble.

is it? I should try it out.

what if my v6 automatic mustang IS fwd?

They are great cars for sure. I have an '06. I would say to go for a facelift '05-'06 because of some small improvements and nicer looks, but then again that's a pretty cool find with so few miles. 8k is a lot of money for an '02, though. If it's what you want I'd say go for it because they are as bulletproof as you'd expect and pretty nice inside.

I mean by today's standards it's not fast. like ~7.5s 0-60 ~140mph top speed, but for the time it destroyed its competition.
>2400lbs
>Sr20
>Go kart steering

I don't know if I'd recommend one to anyone that didn't know how to work on stuff though. Parts availability is shit.

i feel sorry for the burgers. so deprived of cheap and fun hatches that they think a mazda 3 handles like a dream

~7.5s 0-60 is still good for a car that cheap

Yeah, it's still a quick, fun car. There's really no rice tax because no one knows what they are. Lol. The trouble would be finding an SR that isn't a dilapidated turd since they're kind of hard to keep up.

Never really gave them much thought till i was looking for a cheap commuting car. Say an se-r for 1500 and was very impressed with its handling and spirt.
Ended up getting a saab instead
>but it's sidelined until I can find out what keeps draining the battery.
youtube.com/watch?v=QRso1A0VScw
This guy is pretty good, he comes off a good bit condesending, but he knows his shit and in the few hours of vids i have watched i definitely learned something.

Cool, I'll check it out.

What Saab did you end up with?

Ze engine

timing belt is due and the clutch is well on its way out.

quife lsd, cams, clutch and gearbox refresh kit are all on the way. i'm going to be poor for the next few months, but hopefully it will be worth it.

>What Saab did you end up with?
1992 900 turbo convertible

Nice. How was it compared to the Nissan egg? What made you pick it over the NX?

it was 100 bucks cheaper, the interior was much nicer, the roof comes down. It was a lot more comfortable, my commute was 80 miles each way.

In terms of the feel of the cars, the NX, if memory serves me correct, was alot more scrappy, toss able etc. The Saab is really more of a GT in a way. It handles well, quite well for fwd, while slower off the line its highway manners are much better.

I think the real deciding factor is I have an odd thing for owning cars made by companies that no longer exist, Saab had just folded when i bought it. And as i said it was a lot more comfortable.

>>proceeds to post pictures of racecars and old race results

The fuck are you talking about?

k series have really high potential tho, def not garbage.

nice

This is true, however it's really expensive to get crazy power out of them. Like aftermarket bottom end, built engine with a big turbo if you plan on breaking 500hp.

Still a great engine though
My K24, stock internals with about $4k in mods, makes 320whp with a 7600rpm redline.

Apples and Oranges.
2009 Cobalt SS vs 2008 Civic Si?

Post dyno sheet

09 Cobalt SS is turbo
It will slaughter that So and handle better and get better gains from tuning

How well is the build quality vs the two of them?

Interior wise I'd give it to the Civic, but mechanically they're both good, the LNF Ecotec is a solid motor and the F35 trans is a Getrag unit and it has a no lift shift feature

08 has a K24 and it's solid but you'd have to build and boost the engine to get to the level the Cobalt is at, the Cobalt is a way better tuning platform for power

08 actually has the K20.. I don't think you really know what you're talking about..

Is the cobalt T/C or S/C? Though honestly after having an 09 Si I'd say the cobalt is a much better platform for going faster in a straight line. Can't say much about handling but the Si did handle well. I think I'd kill myself if I had to see the cobalt's interior day in and day out though.

2002-2011 Civic Si's have K20's.
2012 was when they switched to the K24

T/C.

>no MR
that's too sad...

T/C Cobalt SS >>>>>>>>>> Si > S/C SS

I owned an 09 Si for 7 years

>is the cobalt T/C or S/C?
both depending on the year.
There are 3 variations of the Cobalt SS.
2005-2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged. These models used an LSJ engine (which was on Ward's 10 best engines list). It was a 2.0L supercharged Ecotec making 205 HP and 200 ft-lbs, though this has been said to be underrated and some dyno tests of bone stock cars has yielded near 200 FWHP. This puts actual power closer to 220-230 HP.
2006-2007 Also saw an SS N/A. These were the worst. The only thing shared with other SS models were the rear disc brakes. It used a 2.4L LE5 engine making 170 HP. The entire reason it exists is because people bitched the SS S/C was manual only and couldn't be had with an automatic.
2008-2010 brought the Cobalt SS Turbo. The reason for the switch from S/C to Turbo was emissions. The supercharged engine didn't meet new 2008 standards and they already had a 2.0L turbo making more power and meeting emissions so why not? The LNF used here added VVT and direct fuel injection in addition to the turbo. output was 260 HP.

As to handling... well the Cobalt SS Turbo held the record, for a time, for the fastest production FWD car around the nurburgring. It's a very competent car.

Interior is terrible though.

Interesting aside, the Cobalt SS Turbo remained the cheapest car you can buy, period, that came from the factory with launch control and no lift shifting.

I see. Thanks for your opinion, user.

Asked because one of each are being sold at a stealership. Si has like 94k miles and is about 10k, and the Cobalt has 74k miles for 9k. Kind of tempted to check them both out. Maybe I ought just repair my own broken ass car though. Probably better financially.

Oh and thanks to you too, user.

understeer wheelspin in every corner

>fwd thread
>not a single mention of the DC2 Type R

shame on you cunts.

>they were much lighter than Group A cars and had more freedom considering the engine rules.
>They were good, but banned out of WRC is just lying.

bingo
they were reclassed