Hey Veeky Forums newfag here

Needing some advice, I'm looking to buy a used 2013 Ford Focus to replace my aging 96 Jeep Cherokee. The dealership has it listed at $7994 @ 83k miles on it. Is this a good deal or should I look for something better? I was wondering why it was so cheap due to the model year and I saw there were a ton of negative reviews due to the transmission being bad on it and it has me nervous to commit.

There is a 2014 Ford Focus at the same dealership with only 10k miles but it's listed at 13k.

I'm just looking for a car that gets great gas mileage (I drive 30 miles to work every day almost), is reliable, fun and has decent creature comforts.

I'm 21 with no credit built up, so my budget is fairly limited at 6-14k. If you guys could provide some sage advice that would be amazing. Thank you.

I live in Fremont Nebraska if that helps any.

Don't buy it if it's an auto. The DCT in those is literal trash. If you don't have credit get a sub 5k car off of Craigslist and pay for your fuel with a credit card for a few years

I had a bud get a manual and the syncros were fucked at 40k miles

Your friend is a retard who was probably floating gears poorly.

The 2014 Focus is a manual, however at another dealership there is a 2010 Ford Fusion with 150k miles on it and it's going for 6 (it's a manual as well).

The only downside to this is that I have never driven a manual (yes I'm a faggot but I've only ever had the Jeep and it's a auto)

Oh and on a side note I know I'm only listing Ford's but I'm open to any make, these are just the ones I've found that look like they match my criteria most.

It's super easy to learn the basics. Clutch disengages engine from drive train, shifter controls desired gear. Hardest thing to learn as a new driver is starting from a stop. Although at that price I suspect it's a salvage title or something.

Just buy a clean civic for 3k. No need to spend 13k on a shitty econobox. Although I bet for 3k you could fix all the problems with your jeep.

Pulled a report on the VIN and it says it's fine in regards to the salvage title nor did it say it's ever been in a wreck.

I'm thinking about atleast looking at it and the 2015 Fusion/14 Focus. If the '10 Fusion checks out I think I'll go with it, I can't really beat that price tag even though the mileage kinda blows on it (the Jeep I have is only at 180k and it's around 16 years older)

The u-joint, leaf spring, steering stabilizer, oil pressure sensor all needs to be replaced. On top of that I need to get the wiring fixed inside the Jeep as well as replace the passenger headlight.

Forgot to mention the Jeep is starting to jerk when it shifts gears and when I put it in park, reverse or drive.

>Just buy a clean civic for 3k

Dude he's in Nebraska. Anything that's priced below $5k that doesn't have holes in the metal will have holes within the next year.

I bought a '05 Focus with 60k on it for $6995 with no credit. I had a down payment and a cosigner though. Nothing ever went wrong with that car and I drove it to 200k before letting it go. In my opinion you can find something cheaper with better mileage as long as you just really search around everywhere within a radius you are willing to drive to get a good deal. You'll know when you found the car you want to get

Give me your jeep and you can have my 2013 Spark straight up.

Seriously, why get rid of it? Poorfag can't buy gas?

You could do all that for less than $2k, trans included.

All of that is way cheaper than a new car.

It happened two days after getting it

I can afford gas perfectly fine..Why do you think I'd be looking at additional car payments if I wasn't?

I was basing costs off of the dealership price, it would probably be better to just take it to a mechanic though.

The first four thing will be under 150 bucks total for brand new parts dude the headlight will be the most expensive thing

Fords depreciate like crazy and certain Fusion/Focus/Fiesta models are even worse because of the dog-shit DCT automatic.

Why exactly do you want to go for Ford, op? Your budget range is huge - once you hit $10k you're in a whole new ballgame as far as what cars you can get. With your budget, try to see if you can find a used, single owner Lexus. For example, a 2010 Lexus ES or a late 2000's GS.

And a craigslist trans will set you back like 350 tops

It's not that I'm wanting a Ford specifically those are just the ones that I found that fit my criteria although I hadn't known before about the transmission problems they have so it's put me off somewhat.