/rlg/ Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Roguelike News:
New version of Dungeon on the Everchanging Released!
Basically ADoM meets Brogue, with the best of both worlds.

New IVAN update: 0.5.8, adds a new dungeon, a new win condition, new god effects, new items and bugfixes.

github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Dungeons_Of_Everchange
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for Beautiful Sexy Femmy

Also, the actual roguebasin post.

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Dungeons_Of_Everchange

You goody two shoes. You posted in the meme thread too.

The non-faggot OP.

UI looks real purrty

that kobold chase is reminding me of my ptsd from monkeys in brogue

It's got all of brogue's strong points, but not its weak ones. The UI is great, the dynamics and the AI are staggeringly good, kinda like Forays and not as annoying as Smart Kobold, so you're safe there. It's got Food/Water/Stealth/potions/wands... really a lot of stuff.

It's basically a Brogue fork, and a great one at that. I can't wait to play it again.

You win, but only because you actually had something more or less interesting to deliver.
ADoM is still archaic trash with almost no redeeming features.
>non-faggot OP
Oxymoron.
It's not even the same shitposter.
Also kys and choke that shitty stale pasta, the short story was great, but people reposting that one memey bit from it has become cringy as fuck.

>tfw amy will never stab you in the throat while she excitedly tells you about the latest updates to slashem in the third person
why even live bros

I didn't know you could cram these many memes and buzzwords in a single post.
Are you from /v/?

WHO IS THE SUMMON SUMMONING SUMMONERS NOW?

You monster.

This spell is outrageous. Literally one cast to bootyblast Glaurung.

Can't wait to use it on an enthusiastic summoner and watch the insanity. I have enough mana that it could go on for hundreds of turns.

what spell is it? summon greater undead?

the trick to outsummmoning enemy summoners is to get enough zephyr lords that you fill every tile in LOS with a Z and they have nowhere to put their shiny new cyberdemons

You're a lich, right?
I saw your post yesterday where you got 30 levels in an hour with a 300% XP penalty race and I'm amazed. You said you farmed a dungeon guardian by spamming a nether bolt spell. Which one is it?

>filling the room with hounds of Tindalos, death beasts, time and mana hounds
>It breathes (x99)

-More- What a noble sacrifice!

Not that user but he posted his strat before.

The Juggernaut of Khorne outside the antimagic cave is a melee-only punching bag, and as long as you don't completely kill it it refills to full hp each time you go >< on the dungeon stairs. In PCB you get xp just for damaging monsters (although less than for killing them), so you can repeat this forever for lodsofEXP

Jesus Christ.
I found the best way to highroll my psions, thanks!
Nobody tell Chris anything

it's only a level 40 enemy or something, it's not like this will get you to 50

only if you're a dumbass and enabled the option in the pet menu that lets pets include you in spell/breath AOEs

otherwise the worst thing that happens is gravity hounds blinking the badguy away

Yep - actually not a bread and butter spell for me because I'm afraid of breaths flying all over the place/something going terribly horribly wrong without my noticing, but I think it will be helpful for uniques.

>get to archlich
>summon greater undead
>hide in wall forever

oh boy

Yeah, but it's a great jumpstart and it differs from His idea of how you should start a character, which is why he added dungeon guardians in the first place.
All characters can grab a bow or wand of magic missiles and plink free XP now!

>afraid of getting breathed on by your own summons
literally press p

you CAN get breathed on by "(Friendly)" enemies who are trying to hit something near you, but not by your actual pets unless you allow them to

It really only works with dedicated casters/breathers, since the dungeon guard has reflection. If you have ideal conditions (beam/ball damage) then it's an easy way to get from about 8-28. But just a wand/bow isn't going to be worth the time.

>get cast into abyss
>the door is beside me
gods are smiling at me today

nevermind

why did you let a speed10 enemy with a distortion weapon get into melee range in the first place user

Alright, the next version of slex is going to get a bunch of new monsters. Does /rlg/ approve of this nice, crafty one?

Unfortunately /rlg/ is not familiar with the SLEX monster code and does not really understand

>overlooked the name of that monster

i understand that there's an irresistible thick lady, and that she apparently has both mocassins and dancing shoes?
but i don't know what kind of nasty things she can do to the player

The irresistible thick lady slides her soft mocassins over your hands, opening your arteries and squrting blood everywhere! The lacquered dancing shoe scratches your head! You feel very stupid!

And the latter effect also causes amnesia like a mind flayer.

its called going down the stairs and finding out that he is right behind you

misspelled "desperate tranny fantasy", S_BUTTTOAD|SWEET_MOCCCCCCCASSSSSSSSSINS&POT_ _STUNNING

does M1_FLY mean "flies intrinsically" or "can fly briefly after attaching sufficiently large wings and lauching from steam catapult."

/rlg/ approves M2_NASTY

missing M3_NEVEREVER

>lauching
FAIL

>when the pinchy winchy is just right

Splat.

Shitpost in the shitpost general, please. The one that's about exposed midriffs.

You reminded me of how I leveled my Q to 50 by summoning monsters that fought each other and getting all the exp.

Then again I'm pretty sure it's impossible to kill the J with a Q, so there's that.

The level 1 spell "energy blast" fires a bolt of pure mana as a 1x1 ball spell and cannot be resisted, so I'll grab that one.

he justs sits there and takes the abuse. That's adorable.
Easiest first 15 levels I've ever played.

I'm gonna roll a sexy nightmare mode demigod with always *fun* rooms on just for the hell of it.

Nice entrance to L2.

>1.5
You tried to hit them.
Fault.

finally get to play crawl again

I love you too, gargposter.

>Being statdrained just for sleeping
On the other hand finding the pendant of Nightmares and wearing it with to consequences is gonna be fun.

>play dda again after I don't touch it for a long time.
>pick single pool master race and really bad day (the only scenario I ever play) as usual
>nice, now it seems the developers give player free +2 skill points that I can use to increase my str to 16
>start game
>escape the burned building
>go to another house
>first aid kit
>mfw

The fun is gone really fast.

a bit different from an irresistible thick lady that comes to mind for me, but she wasn't a shoe person...

Fake MuMo (with bucklers and amulets) after 2 runes, Elf and Crypt cleared. Since I'm playing trunk, I'm really scared about stat drains in abyss because self restoration has been gone for two major releases or so now. I also have no idea how am I going to melee a greater mummy while surrounded by its scorpions and/or scarabs, but that comes later I guess.

>Fake MuMo (with bucklers and amulets)
It's the fun that counts, user.
besides, you're playing without an armor and following the truth path of kings.
If you actually manage to grab all the runes of lenge, I'm sure the council of the three great mummies will bestow upon you the title of "honorary MuMo".

>I also have no idea how am I going to melee a greater mummy while surrounded by its scorpions and/or scarabs
Same thing any MuMo always does.
You stairdance. You can stairdance all of tomb, actually that's the only way of doing it in your conditions.
Lure one GMu at a time towards a staircase while he's on the edge of LOS so he doesn't summon shit and follows you, then dance the dance of the stairs.

Also, leave vaults as your last rune. I'm serious. Clear Zot before trying to do V:5. It robs you of the gift of the stair, which is the greatest curse of all.

Legend*

>Also, leave vaults as your last rune. I'm serious. Clear Zot before trying to do V:5. It robs you of the gift of the stair, which is the greatest curse of all.
Sounds like a good idea. I was planning to do V:5 before Zot and after Tomb, but maybe you're right. I'm still paranoid about the stat drain, I'll have to see how bad it is in Abyss first.

>It's the fun that counts
>5 spamming and lure scumming are fun

lol

nice lil amulet you got there, pharao

good rogue like coops?

You have no face?

Allure of the Start, but it's local only.
Special mention of mangband and tomenet that are literally angband variants but yet not roguelikes.

>implying those aren't roguelikes

Realtime

Are shields worth it if I'm using Long Blades?

What race

Mi

Hill orc

If you get a good 1H blade, like a eudemon blade or a double sword. But they're fairly rare (even via gifts) so it might not be worth the trouble.

Although actually, now that I think about it, the good 1H swords will probably generate if you're using a shield, but that'll also mean you'll have to use the less-than-good swords with potentially cumbersome shields in the meantime.

Wait, is that really how item generation works?

I'm just bullshitting -- and, specifically, I was talking about gifts.

God gifts tend to be a mixture of what you've trained in skills and what you're currently using. Without looking at the code, I'd assume that you're a bit more likely to get acquirement-level one-handed weapons if Trog/Oka see that 1) you've been training your Shield skill, 2) you've only been using one-handed weapons and shields at the point when they decided to do a weapon gift.

But even that logic seems flimsy, so I don't know. I'll check to be sure, though.

To my knowledge they only take a look at your skills not your equipment atm. I don't know would increasing shield skill make them more likely to gift one handed weapons though

>fall through a shaft on the third floor
>3 floors down
>Edmund is just sitting there giving me his smug smile
JUST

>""""""roguelike""""""

The things you find on a gimmicky force-trainer.

>miraculously survive this with potion spam
>go to upper floor with the firsts stairs I see
>eustachio with 3 orc priest and 2 orc warriors
this run is not meant to be

"thancs game"

melee fighter here
should I buy amulet of spirit or amulet of rage?
which one of them will help me the most in the long run?

the *thancs are pretty underwhelming in pcb really since it doesn't have the same blows calculation as Angband where a level 5 warrior will have like 4 blows with a dagger.

spirit always, berserking will get you killed and spirit is free hp

Yeah, looking at ../source/acquire.cc (lines 465 to 537), they do seem to give weight to one-handed weapons (a four-to-one ratio on average) if you have high shield usage, as evidenced by your shield stat.

unless you're a ant

Halfling luck. D:2.

>.

i dont think halflings get a luck bonus in dcss
they do in ToME2 though apparently

an artefact amulet with good resistances and/or stat boosts ;-)

But really, Guardian Spirit is better. Berserking is a crapshoot if you don't know exactly when to use it, and it's not even that good of a status without Trog's rage extension ability.

i thought this was a rogue like ??

We only play real roguelikes here.

Make unironic predictions about future DCSS releases.
>slings removed or now use throwing skill
>Pan can generate up to 10 unique maps before looping between each other to prevent grinding, static Pan lord levels not included.
>halfling removed because there already are kobolds
>rF, rC and RN now only go up to two levels of resistance
>summoning spell school removed

>All Zealots removed, Priest background added
>Starts with a robe and a basic weapon of any kind, or unarmed
>Can choose to start with 1* piety with any god in the game

I have rebirth without DLC. it doesn´t work anymore. I can´t open it.
If you only have the base game don´t update it.

DCSS doesn't even have luck mechanics for halflings to be good at

the only luck is the player's

you wouldn't have this problem if you played roguelikes instead

game makes you choose your own spell miscast effects

I don't understand how to aim at individual monsters other than using the mouse or just spamming tab til the game picks the one you want

also the game has realistic arrow-picking-up mechanics

whoops forgot img

later i ran into a goblin warrior who i guess had enough armor to take 0 damage from my arrows? and i died

use the numpad dingus

>the game has realistic arrow-picking-up mechanics

Expand on this.

>It invokes raw memes!
>What a noble sacrifice!

In Everchange? the numpad moves your character

Also I've discovered that you get xp in "Sacral" for repeatedly casting your starting buff on yourself even if you're already buffed and it just gives the "nothing happens" message

i just mean you have to run around the room picking up all your arrows again after you killl a bunch of monsters

the manual says that if you pick sacral or arcana as a secondary skill you can get an infinite supply of blessed/elemental arrows but i can't figure out how that works

So far I'm 2/2 on invincible Goblin Warriors on level 3

I guess Archery as your only way of doing damage isn't viable because you will just die to the first enemy with 3 armor

made a new guy with unarmed combat

game crashed when i punched a rat, after several levels of successful wolf and kobold punching

>not believing

D:2 as a Halfling, again.