Caliper failure.......How much will it cost me?

Brakes have been making a grinding noise so I got them inspected and they said the caliper has locked up and that's what's making the noise when i apply pressure to the brakes.

It's the front tire on the passenger side. They said I will need to replace the caliper, pad, and rotor. Is this true?

They also said it will cost about $500 to replace.

What will happen if i ride it out? Can't I just replace the caliper or do I absolutely have to replace the pad and rotor too?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rc4yXzxwlrY
youtu.be/x5PtpeMbuxI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Can't I just replace the caliper or do I absolutely have to replace the pad and rotor too

It depends. Are they all fucked up?

Pics if possible as well.

>RIDE IT OUT
user, those things could go at any time. Before you know it you'll be careening into a busy intersection, brakes floored, and realizing you just lost your life for being a Jew over $500

Rockauto.com

look up the parts you need.

fix it yourself.

it doesn't appear to be.

Is your rotor all scratched up? Did you check the pads? compare the rotor surface to the other rotors on your vehicle.

I'll have to take the tire off and look at it again and take pics. i forgot to take pics when they took it off at the tire shop

>Brakes have been making a grinding noise so I got them inspected and they said the caliper has locked up

>are the pads and rotor okay?

You can't see the rotor through your tire? what car is this?

Depending on the car, it shouldn't be too expensive to just do it yourself.

I actually need to replace my pads and (maybe) rotor; is this the kind of job someone who's new to wrenching can do without fucking up their car? I don't want to pay the mechanic 400 bucks for something it looks like I can do myself.

>is this the kind of job someone who's new to wrenching can do without fucking up their car?

Absolutely. Just remember to be careful and always test the repaired brakes at low speed first.

Nah, it's a piss easy job but you do need a little mechanical inclination depending on the age of the car

i can. i just took a pic actually. uploading now.

Just take your caliper off and check the guide pinss if theyre pissy get new ones and lube it
Or if its the rings replace them
Pads and rotors are cheap this is 100$ job

Here's a pic of it. See how its grinding off?

No? Parts alone should come out to under $150 for most cars

It's also a good time to do all your brake pads because they're usually sold in sets of four

>take off wheel
>take off caliper, rotor, etc
>bleed your brakes because you should do it anyways faggot
>antiseize where rotor contacts hub, grease moving bits, put new shit on and hook up the new caliper
>pump brakes
>drive off

Yes, replace those. Also, make sure to replace all of the brakes on whatever end of the car you're doing (front or rear).

>this
or worse
>you kill someone else for being a jew over $500

I agree, it is a lot of money if you have to pay the bills at the end of the month, but do not take risk killing somebody because you cheaped out on the maintenance of your car.

replace what? i'm not super car savvy.

>$500 for one corner
Holy fuck that's the ripoff of the decade there. Go to rockauto, buy akebono pads, centric premium rotors, some decent calipers, and new hoses. You can do all that in an afternoon for half the price and for both sides on one axle, instead of just the one. You really should replace both on any axle at the same time anyway. Make sure to get some line wrenches and dot 4 fluid, and a bleeder kit if you don't have one or a second person to help you bleed the lines.

The rotors.

rotors and pads should all be done at the same time, symmetrically

>yfw one side has more braking force than the other

so do i have to replace the rotors, caliper, and pads as well?

Correct.

Also this

If i do it myself how much will all this cost me? around 100 dollars?

Brake jobs are probably the easiest things you'll ever do on a car.

Once you get the tire off. The caliper should be mounted by 14mm bolts or Allen heads. Once those two bolts are off the caliper bracket has two bolts around 17mm-19mm.

Once the tire is off it's really maybe 5 bolts in total if you count the rotor retainer bolt.

What kind of car do you have?

It depends on the car.

One of the first things I did with my first car was replace the brakes and rotors because I was stupid and bought from a shady used car lot with no experience with vehicles.

Pretty much everything on that car that could be removed sucked

i have an 05 hyundai accent gt.

can someone car retarded like me do it fairly easily?

DONT DO IT YOURSELF.

YOU WILL FUCK UP
WILL
FUCK
UP

youtu.be/rc4yXzxwlrY

Oh shit read it as Elantra.

youtu.be/x5PtpeMbuxI

thanks

dude look up your car and then brake job on youtube you should find your car.

Yes if youre in washington ill do it for you

A little old hyungay? Hell yeah.

As other user said. If you were nearby I'd totally help ya out for a couple beers and your underaged sister.

replace or resurface the rotor, and get new pads. No need for calipers. You are being trolled.

>Rebuild kit for front calipers $100
>labor $200
>pads and rotor $200
sounds about right whats the issue? Get it fucking fixed you stupid cunt

DONT resurface ive had it done multiple times and the metal is already fucked it will just die again.

Replace rotors, pads and caliper pistons

If you only get the grinding noise when you apply the brakes but not when you let off, then the caliper is fucking fine. Just replace the rotors and pads because it's scraping the metal part of the pad. There's no material left because you went way too long on your brakes you fucking cheap nigger.

Could be a collapsed brake line not letting brake fluid out of the caliper.

Then why would they sell him a caliper and not a brake line? I'm sure he'd know if his brakes just stopped working rather than just making noise.