/domg/ - Dominions General

Fatigue Edition
Previous Thread Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuklearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Around elves watch yourselves

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12096378
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=VanillaSecks
youtube.com/watch?v=gkLvpt9Z3fA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for cute skeletons

Second for should have let the previous thread get further down the page list first.

Third for at least weeb poster chose a mildly dom4-related pic.

He still didn't change the last
>
line. What a dumb fag.

ded already.

maybe you'd like to be ded, huh, fuccboi?

>no turns

NEW GAME WHEN

strawpoll.me/12096378

I would host vanilla MA game if llama had a way to ban some nations.

Just ban "some nations" manually

>summod
>graphs off
>kick anyone who enters those nations
>or stop being a fag and accept they'll get gangbanged

Cancer nations?

just ban Aspoodle and Ermor, everything else is alright

>ban a nation with 4% win rate
Sometimes you scrub piss me off so fucking much.

>win rate is the only thing that matters
popkill nations are annoying to fight because the land you take is worthless to everyone, so they aren't fun.

Go back to your desura safe space where big bad skeletons can't hurt you then, fucking commie.

t. someone who only plays Ermor because he doesn't know how the game works and heard they were strong

I can point you to my 79% win rate on the spreadsheet.

Can you do the same?

Thought so, kid.

First of all, Ermor is a strong nation, whether you use tribless cheese or not. Even in summod. On big meme maps ESPECIALLY in summod.

Second, Ermor requires as much skill to play against experienced players as any other nation. We don't count rushing noobs with skeleton scouting parties as a legitimate strategy. We also don't count player morale checks because they happen even without cancer nations.

t. 7 wins as Ermor

I just want a MA game where people end up playing nations like Mictlan and Machaka, instead of Yet More Jotunheim.

>Second, Ermor requires as much skill to play against experienced players as any other nation. We don't count rushing noobs with skeleton scouting parties as a legitimate strategy.
Why not? It's what happens in the majority of ermor games.

>We also don't count player morale checks because they happen even without cancer nations.
They happen a ton more when fighting cancer nations.

Dealing with zero-population provinces, constant skeleton attacks on everything, and possibly BoT is awful. It's a constant meatgrinder, where you need to win fights near-perfectly repeatedly or get worn down by infinite chaff.

I'd play MA Machaka if they made sense. Spiders really aren't that big of an African thing

Anansi the spider god is one of their most famous gods. Hes so famous that hes the only one I know about.

ok internet tough guys

BoT is severely overrated.

Vanilla Machaka and Mictlan are both pretty awful, you know.

Only of West Africa. Africa's huge, with so many different tribes that Machaka could easily be one of the most interesting nations in the game. Instead we've got an interesting (but bad) EA, and a literally what (but OK) MA

Ermor is plenty annoying without BoT.

BoT is just an extra serving of nuisance on top of everything else you have to deal with.

Well they dont have to cover all of African mythology at once.

BoT is annoying. It adds to the annoyance of fighting Ermor. Foul Air and Utterdark are both globals that won't affect Ermor at all but increase the shittiness of fighting them, while actually affecting the game.

>Instead we've got an interesting (but bad) EA, and a literally what (but OK) MA
Hold up, are you saying EA Machaka is worse than MA?

I don't understand how any half-decent player can consider "infinite chaff" a threat past early-mid-game.

Skellingtons don't even help to defend forts like Lemurean ghosts, and you can use literally any battlefield clear against them.

Didn't you say that Ermor was strong?

>t. 7 wins as Ermor
>scrubs ignored me and then quit at the first sign of trouble so I'll count it as a win
Try playing against good players.
Most people just quit, not because Ermor is strong, but because they are not fun to play against (starvation everywhere, no gain from conquering anything, most tedious sieges ever).

I'd rather quit a game than having to fight a mid-sized Ermor all by myself. I could be having fun playing another game against regular nations instead.

I am really just nostalgic of vanilla. I guess I will have to suffer through process of menial kicking erumor.

t. Ermor

>you can use literally any battlefield clear against them.
Good luck doing that on every province you own which borders ermor

Because Ermor just attacked them with raiding parties. All of them.

And he's doing it again next turn.

>Urraparound

Ermor is strong, and infinite chaff is not its strongest feature. Asphodel has infinite chaff and they have 4% win rate while Ermor has 25%.

>Try playing against good players.
>Most people just quit

>all neighbours of Ermor just gank up on him early in the game
>game continues as normal
It's only when retards for some reason don't instantly attack Ermor when the quitting begins.

m8

>Ermor is strong, and infinite chaff is not its strongest feature.
So do you only play it with Growth 3, or as a disciple?

>Abysia
Literally firestorm everything with 0 losses.

>Ulm or Agartha
EQ/magma eruption clears all the shit instantly.

>S nations
Solar Fires/Magic Duels takes care of the super pricy mages and chaff.

>high H nations
Banishment communions.

The list goes on. The fact that you're crying over skeleton scouting party raiding means that you probably can't counter raids by other nations like elves or birds as well, and it can be much more annoying.

Carlix is actually playing MA Ermor as a disciple for F U N and innovativeness.

I mostly played Ermor with rainbow pretenders. 6 out of 7 wins were with master liches/lich queens, and only 1 was from tribless cheese.

Adding to that, I considered MA Ermor disciple as well. I mostly played Ermor as a mage nation with rainbow pretender anyway, and you can still setup lictor factories for some bless build even without freespawn. That would of course handicap you, but I don't think it's impossible to win with a build like this. Dusk Elders alone are worth it.

>love playing a nation
>are extremely shit at playing it
What's her name, /domg/?

TNN.

Because it's a shit nation.

Every nation.

Is this okay for an MA Marignon pretender?

EA Yomi

>Asphodel has infinite chaff
With the same dominion, and ideal scales (growth3, magic3), Asphodel gets around 1/7 of the chaff ermor does. Combined with the fact that asphodel wants to limit their dominion spread to make use of their other strengths, they end up with far fewer chaff to throw around than ermor.

If Asphodel did get as much chaff as ermor, they'd instantly jump to being the strongest MA nation.

The problem isn't beating a single ermor raiding party without losses, it's beating EVERY ermor raiding party without losses. Because Ermor gets so many free chaff, any loss for you is a major win for him.

Even just burning through your gems would be great for ermor, since then you have no gems to fight his actual troops.

>probably can't counter raids by other nations like elves or birds as well, and it can be much more annoying.
Birds and elves need to commit valuable resources to raiding. Ermor does not.

If you manage to kill a bird squad or an elf thug, it takes time and gold/gems for your enemy to bring out a replacement. If ermor loses half a dozen raiding parties, he probably won't even see his army size graph drop.

You want pretender with either disease healer, or capable of crafting disease healing items. All your mages are superold and they will die of aids otherwise.

That's what Growth 3 is mostly for.
What would you suggest?

I forgot to mention, Asphodel also doesn't get free commanders, which is another factor making raiding more expensive.

I would suggest not playing MA Mari.

My last game is like half a year ago and I'm rusty.
Also I have the habit of playing overy-complicated meme nations, do I'd like to play something straightforward (if this was EA, I'd be playing Niefelheim).

You can go for a dormant sneklady with disease healer then.

Yes, I know, I know. But I feel like, if they were played in a game with other weak nations - Shinuyama, Man, etc. - we might get a chance to actually see what few things they can do, so we have a bit more of an idea of how to improve them.

Why do you assume everyone likes a weak nation!? Do you think we can't make sensible decisions about what to play!?

...no, okay, I admit it, I like LA Pythium.

Jesus, how does EA Niefelheim get any sort of infrastructure up with how gold-starved they are?

Order 3 Growth 3, obviously.

skip some sacreds to get forts, senpai!

it's worth.

Be willing to sacrifice a couple of turns of mage recruitment. You can catch up, and your sacreds mean you're not as dependent on early battlemagic.

Stop counting your erfsneking win.

pls

it was an imprisoned E4 erfsnek and I still won, cut me some slack

recruit indie researchers instead of gygjas; use gygjas for site searching, blood searching (with good paths), forging and summoning revenants to take over research from them
when you have enough indie researchers/revenants stop recruiting gygjas entirely in favour of best STR (ie. Niefel Jarls on cap)

DO YOUR TURNS

Join the game llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=VanillaSecks
No Ermors allowed.

Not enough.

I guess the only way is to accept that your research is going to be godawful.
Not a problem till midgame I guess, but I guess you become a pushover by then unless 2big.

>MA
I don't wanna. Nothing I want to play in there.

What did he mean by that?

I hate how every Dominions map has a single sea. It basically forces underwater nations to make each other their #1 target, and encourages them to go for a very early-game focus, to not die to others who do so. I get that for e.g. LA, having multiple oceans would be a bit of a waste, but MA has a lot of actually-interesting UW nations these days.

>fomorian capital is in a mountain AND forest province

To elaborate:

MA has a lot of potential for interesting water-land interactions, with Atlantis, Pelagia and Ys all having coastal-recruits that are quite important to their long-term abilities, R'lyeh and Oceania being perfectly capable on land, and Xibalba actually wanting to go UW, because it can exploit those provinces almost as well as regular land ones.

Unfortunately, all of this is completely binned, because standard Dominions map design dictates that all water provinces be connected, so a land power has little to no way of dislodging a water nation before the end game, and water nations have to be scared shitless of each other if they try to take a break from the UW fighting in order to secure a couple of coastal provinces. And it sucks.

Personally I like 1 giant connected sea - but ideally it would have some major choke points, so it would look more like 2 lakes connected by only a single water province.

Would still enable UW only fights, but it would be far less enticing.

I'm in for EA

New summod this weekend.

Hexawyr has two different lakes, and starting in the small one gave me the safety I needed to win.
It was fun.

I'd vote for more maps with more than one lake.

carlix please

:3

Warhammer 40k mod when?

Was this also your experience??

No.

I've been trying to make more - Today_Local_Domg_Man's using the one I made at the moment - but while I hope that I managed to achieve something resembling an interesting map for gameplay, it's no secret that the visual product looks like shit. We need to get more people who can do art into making maps.

Summod you better not fuck up leech

My biggest fear is the poploss on vamp lords with nothing being given back to Sauro and Hinnom on nearly the same level - 2 nations that already aren't that good.

In Hinnom's case it puts them in the hilarious situation of needing grigori just to fucking bloodhunt late without shooting themselves in the head, giving them okay early game, and shit mid/late.

I think Sauro's a pretty solid nation. I just think that it needs to be aggressive early to do well and most people try to turtle with it rather than push once they've finished with an early research goal to actually take advantage of their early-midgame strength.

Since people keep telling me that leech is no worse than thunderstrike, I intend to make it B3.

not really, I just think that's a stupid argument

This would be an issue if I was going to give them more than the very smallest poploss value there is, and wasn't going to provide any buffs. Hinnom will be getting some additional stuff at the same time I make Vlords marginally less excellent. Sauro will get stuff too.

>Sauro will get stuff too.
Sauro already got significant buffs with the blanket cavalry buffs.

thats the stuff im referring to

Please don't buff them significantly. They'll be op

How do A8 warrior queens sound?

I was honestly far less worried about Sauro than Hinnom desu. Sauro wants vampires because it's their most natural option with blood pathing.

Hinnom needs vampires because without them they eventually won't have blood. Giving Hinnom buffs to blood summons lategame while taking away their transitioned hunter is a meaningless buff.

With regard to the Sauromatia discussion, my main concern is that their status as an archer nation be lost. They're supposed to be a nation of cavalry, archers and cavalry archers; if they end up being solely the first of those, it'd be a darn pity. I always liked the use of Sauromatian Lancers as a genuinely stationary wall of blockers that simultaneously contributed to the firepower.

Sauro lacks air for wind guide AND fire for flaming arrows.

Sauro also lacks the composite bows of EA TC. It was never an archer nation.

ONLY 9 more.

>no summod

>MA

>up at 4am to play dominions
youtube.com/watch?v=gkLvpt9Z3fA

fucking lol my expansion party is now trapped on a mountain