/dmt/ daily manual thread

/dmt/ daily manual thread

how do you guys approach a stop or upcoming turn when in say, 4,5 or 6th gear?

am I supposed to be gearing down each gear as I'm driving along?

is it bad to slowdown to turning speed with the brakes, then just go straight to 2nd?

or if it's a stop just brake until you are about to stop then clutch in and switch to 2nd, then maybe back to 1st if you completely stop

By not approaching a stop in 4th 5th or 6th gear you pleb neck beard!

I'm about to buy a manual challenger and I don't know how to drive e it. Any tips?

Depends on how much space I have/ how fast I need to stop/turn.
But usually, I'd down shift somewhat given enough space, then drop in to neutral if I have to full stop.

Rev-match into the right gear way ahead of turn and engine-brake into the correct speed for the turn.

Or if stopping, downshift into 2nd if appropriate, slow down, just before it starts to chug, throw it into neutral and stop with the brakes.

For stoplights with a long notice, I just clutch out and coast, dropping through gears as it feels right. I am probably doing it completely wrong, but I like rebuilding manual transmissions so it's okay.

What? Basically youre car revs from 1k to a max number lets say 6.8k

Drive you car in whichever gear you want as long as its not at the rev limiter and not bellow 1k rpm
Keep youre car at good grip through turns so that you can accerate out of them

No. You need to put gears according to speed.

That knob looks very familiar

By "clutch out" do you mean that you're pressing the pedal or you're off of it? Holding the clutch in while moving will burn it out.

Holding it in. How so? It's okay either way, I like doing maintenance and can afford it.

You should shift to neutral and coast instead of riding your clutch.

But it's funner to hold it in.

Disagree, I might have felt the same at some point but I've been driving manual for a long time now and find more enjoyment in trying to be predictive and keeping momentum and know where I'll have to slow (and more importantly where I will not).

Trying to be quick without actually driving fast I guess.

I recognize that bludge also

Downshift you fags

It's ducking easy as fuck dude just watch some YouTube vids
I learned to drive manual without ever even driving one. I pretended my auto car was manual and just went through the motions of changing gears.
It's fucking cake the real challenge is learning to drive smoothly

The definitive way is:

If you notice the lights turn red and you are quite far from the lights then slow down and down shift. Go from 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 (Never 1st). From 2 go into N.

You have to ways of braking in a manual car, either downshifting and having the engine brake for you, or shifting into neutral then coasting and applying the brakes.

Now the latter naturally will wear out your brakes. But brakepads are easier and cheaper to replace.

If all of a sudden you have to stop, say you're approaching roundabout that appeared clear but now some guy is zooming past. Clutch pressed in, shift into neutral and brake.

Downshifting is more important when braking downhill rather than on a flat plane or uphill.

i just stick it in D

Practice
R
A
C
T
I
C
E

Focus/Fiesta ST

I just keep downshifting and revmatching until i get to 4th or 3rd then I shift into neutral when I get to like 15mph. I should learn to heel toe

You know how my knob looks like?

I never saw the point in down-shifting when you know you're coming to a complete stop. Just wears out your gears/clutch for no reason. At a stop/red light I simply switch into neutral and brake
Because like said, brakepads are easier and cheaper to replace.

I only ever down shift to turn or when a red light has been red long enough that I can tell its going to turn green so I can just take off once it does without having to stop.

whats the point of downshifting if youre coming to a stop?
Why not just neutral and brake to a stop?

exactly what I'm saying
Veeky Forums confirmed for retarded

okay so im not alone
was reading through this scratching my head

I'll just leave this here.

>how do you guys approach a stop or upcoming turn when in say, 4,5 or 6th gear?
5th -> 4th -> 3rd and coast until at sign
>am I supposed to be gearing down each gear as I'm driving along?
I do. Just to stay in powerband in case of emergency
>is it bad to slowdown to turning speed with the brakes, then just go straight to 2nd?
Not bad, just typically unecessary. I find I can take most turns in 3rd at about 1200 RPM. I'll slow down more and shift down to 2nd if conditions are bad.
>or if it's a stop just brake until you are about to stop then clutch in and switch to 2nd, then maybe back to 1st if you completely stop
Nah just clutch in a few feet before you stop and shift to neutral, then pull up your hand brake if its a long light

Jump gears then rev match to what speed / gear you're going to be in.
Smashing and holding the brake while rev matching through 3 downshifts is no small order. Most people don't brake hard enough if they try to do this (myself included) which negates the engine braking.

>how do you guys approach a stop
Brake until I'm close to stopping, press the clutch pedal and go straight to first gear as I floor the brake to come to a complete stop.

>upcoming turn when in say, 4,5 or 6th gear
For the upcoming turn, step on the clutch pedal and go directly into 2nd gear. You can skip gears to downshift all you want.

>Go from 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 (Never 1st). From 2 go into N.
why do you skip 1st? legitimately curious, not OP but still an autotragic busrider.

If youre stupid and don't know how fast first can go it's best to avoid it to prevent moneyshifting. Git gud and you'll save a second by going to first directly from second at stop signs. It's not hard, just double-clutch to defeat the synchro. My first gear hits almost 30mph before redline, I'll usually downshift into it at 20 or 15.

Just buy an automatic and forget about all this shifting nonsense

First is for starting the car. When you're moving 2500lb chunk of metal and plastic you need the most torque. First gear provides that. Once you approach 20km, shift up.

Yeah I usually shifting into neutral and coast it then apply the brakes if necessary. But if I'm in 4th or 5th I always try to downshift.

start by driving it

Everyone, point at /n/ and laugh.

>i-its too hard mommy!

is it bad to use the gas in 1st or reverse and press the clutch in more to slow down and lift it up a bit to go faster?

is it bad to move by only using your clutch to get the bite point

If you do it right it doesn't wear out your clutch or transmission though

To use engine braking instead of your brakes to slow the car down. If you ever hear a truck going RRRJAJaJajaja ja ja rrr while slowing down the driver probably just downshifted right before that

I downshift when coming to a stop on a hill, but for the most part I put it in neutral and coast. I also learned to manual in an old Ford pickup.

If you dont do it too long or at high RPMs it's ok, not great, but if you are revving high you'll burn a clutch right out

Going by the retards here that coast while decelerating without an engaged drive, they may as well be driving a slushbox.

how about if I use that technique to park or to creep forward slowly?

how long is too long.

can I push the clutch right in to (rest it a bit) then bring it back up touch to get myself moving?

What's the best way to get better at traffic light or roundabout starts?

I freaking suck at it, I take to long and it's a bit jerky sometimes (I'm guessing lifting clutch foot to fast)

is it better to give it some gas then lift the clutch. or find the biteso it starts to creep forward then give some gas?

I also seems like when I am in 1st gear I cant seem to keep my revs at 1.5-2k. I seem to be giving it too much and I'm scared this will fuck shit up

>From 6th > 4th >3rd and then neutral.

No it will not, the clutch is completely disconnected once you press the pedal all they way down, the only thing that gets a little bit of wear are the bearings.

Manual tip #1: stop overcomplicating shit and just fucking drive goddamn
Manual tip #2: you can do this thing called a burnout, but make sure to sidestep the clutch so it pops right up and shit gets hella sikkkkkkkk

Depends. Sometimes I will drop 6-2, other times will cycle down the gears

another new driver here. there have been a couple of times where I thought I could possibly beat a light but ultimate stopped.

how bad is it that to brakes somewhat suddenly without gearing down to at least 2nd gear before stopping fully.

oh, also if I am approaching a stop or turn and slow down to gear to 2nd am I allowed to hold the brake during the whole 'clutch/gear change/clutch' out process

>mfw I'm an Eurofag and I did never drive an automatic transmission car

Question to euros (or any good dricer that doesn't coast): do you downshift through all the gears to slow, do you downshift straight to second, or can you approach a stop in any gear and stop? I mean to say I do the latter (I approach stop in gear without downshifting while braking). If your car doesn't make any puttering noises indicating your gear is too high for your speed, is it still necessary to downshift through all gears as you come to a full stop?

It depends on your gearing and speed m8, but in general if you're going slow enough, it's fine to skip shift.

Certain corvettes MAKE you shift from 1st to 4th if you're not going fast enough to warrant a shift into 2nd (lol wat).

Yes, you can do that. Especially on emergency slow downs. With manual stick you also get in control of the clutch wit your left foot so, you can also disengage the engine to the transmission train... It comes naturally at some point to have you control the gears as the engine requires to not stall, or to have on the revs for an overtake...

What would it even burn out you autistic faggot?

>this
Most of the answers were probably written by faggots who don't drive much manual. You never downshift autistically through each gear until you stop. That's unnecessary.

>Put it into Neutral
>Release parking brake
>Let it roll
>Pretend to shift so bitches think you're cool

if you happen to drive manual only cars, you will eventually find that some downshift before coming to a stop slows down the car to a nice extent, and help the brake of the car itself.

In other word, at speed manual drivers usually brake AND use the engine to slow down the car. The braking is more effective this way, and less stressis put to the brake components.

Also, somehow people just prefer to slow down not by braking... for example, approaching a red light from afar... probably by the time you're there you get a green light and you have still the gear on and can accelerate back to speed.

Ironically, here in Italy at least, a poor shifting skill with manual, and poor use of the "engine brake" and rely only on actual brakes, is somehow a sign of a poor driver overall.

What are you suggesting is how women and old people stop mostly.

What is a light changing color?

When shifting from in gear to neutral, do you use the clutch guys?
I don't but someone told be that wasn't good.

My brake pedal seems significantly higher than my gas pedal, making heel toe-ing a huge pain in the ass, especially because I haven't fully learned how to do it.

If I'm coming to a stop in 5th, can I shift to neutral, blip throttle, and shift to 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd?

You can do that, hell if you're goodto recognize the rpms you can even put in gears clutchless without having them grind, sure

but it is way better to use the clutch always, do to not put unnecessary wear to the trans

It just sort of pops right out of gear. Does it really have a meaningful impact on the transmission or is it like when people keep the clutch depressed at a stop sign instead of stopping in neutral?

If the force of you gently resting your hand on the shifter can push it into neutral, chances are that you were adequately matched in RPM that it won't hardly do any harm, but it's obviously going to be better to use the clutch. Doesn't mean I don't still do it from time to time.

coast in neutral

20% of the time i'm city driving is me coasting in neutral

call the cops idgaf

Certainly, it'll just be slower to do than heel-toeing. I know that feel though. My old CR-V was pretty nice in that the brake and accelerator were close enough that I could actually just use the left and right edges of my foot. Not so much anymore.

I downshift through the gears so that at any moment if I had to hit the gas for some defensive driving reason the car would respond normally and I could maneuver.

I don't hold the clutch in needlessly. Clutch is only for shifting and when coming to a complete stop. As the revs drop while I'm braking I'll hit the clutch just long enough to downshift and move the revs back up.

As always, it's important to shift at the right times and revs so that everything moves smoothly to keep from wearing out parts. Nothing should be jarring. When done correctly decelerating and downshifting in a manual should be a smooth as if you were in an automatic.

>I downshift through the gears so that at any moment if I had to hit the gas for some defensive driving reason the car would respond normally and I could maneuver.
This is how my dad taught me to drive, but I seldom actually do it out of laziness

>FWD poorfag, 2001 accord
>braking for a corner in 4th
>heel toe down to 2nd, pop pop
>pull left foot from the clutch, place toes on the brake pedal
>you now have the toes of both feet on the brake, car is engine braking
>move your right foot from the brake to the gas as you enter the apex
>hit the gas while slowly releasing the brake with your left foot

>oh baby

thought FWD would be boring after having a miata but not quite

>Veeky Forums now has a daily manual thread

When and how should you be down shifting anyways.

like say I'm in a 40 zone and in 4th

when would be a reason that I would go back to 3? and when should I start thinking about going to 3

If you start to go down hill or if you can see you're going to have to come to a stop you could drop down to third gear which will give you some engine braking on a downhill stretch if the car starts to speed up on its own in fourth, or if you're coming up to a light and are gradually slowing down, drop to third with your foot off the accelerator and you'll get engine braking which will slow the car down gently without touching the brakes.

If for arguments sake the light is still red and you're still rolling towards it, you can then gently brake and as the engine revs come down to near idle, go for second so you'd be ready to go if the lights go green. If you balance this properly between the brake and the clutch you won't even feel the change from third to second. If the light's still red, from second just dip the clutch in. In most cars you'd be doing about 10mph at this point. Come to a stop on the brake and go to neutral with the handbrake on if you're going to be stopped for a while, or go to first if you're going to be setting off again imminently.

Wait we're talking different things.
You put the trans to neutral by actuating the clutch, but once in neutral you can also lift your clutch foot as the gearbox is not engaged and thus is disconnected from the wheels. Basically the engine and the clutch itself are free moving, and yes you do release the clutch pedal first for your foot comfort and there is not any issue with the mechanicals.
I thought that was asking if to shift to neutral he could do that without ANY clutch pedal pressing.
Since it is possible to remove gears and even put gears in if you can sync the revs like I said here, i was thinking of a different question.

tl:dr; you always use the clutch for any gear movement. Anything else, from car rolling to idle, the clutch pedal is untouched.

Hey guys how do i walk around a corner? Do I reduce my speed and start tippy toeing or just walk on my heels? I'm retarded hurr durr.

/dpt/ Daily Poorfag Thread

You must ride the clutch to park or reverse.

I don't think you necessarily have to, but it makes life way easier.

do whatever you want dickhead, clutches and brake pads are wear items

NO YOU MUST DO IT!

owo

By coasting/idling the engine you're burning fuel while converting your kinetic energy to heat in your brake pads. You should downshift and engine brake instead, as you won't be burning fuel.

I even do that in my automatic, force it to downshift and engine brake.

Leave traction control on for a while.

Revmatch my way through the gears to third, then neutral. Unless I expect it to turn green just as I get there, in which case I'll go down to second.

Yes you should be going through each gear before you get there. That saves your brakes and keeps your transmission aligned better.

Wtf, just row DOWN through the gears, Rev matching smoothly until second. Then I'd take it out of gear and slowly come to a stop. Of course everytime you rev match go back to easing on the brakes. Or you could just down shift once or twice. Really, most cars can almost come to a stop without lugging the engine in 2nd or third, depending. With 4.10s I engine brake in third down to about 10mph, take it out of gear and finish stopping. Unless i feel like throwing it all the way down to second, it just sounds obnoxious when you have a v8 with exhaust

So I fell for the manual meme and bought my first one yesterday (it was my first time driving one too). I had to drive it from Portland to Seattle at night to get home. The only problem I'm having is I can't fucking start from a stop without jerking the shit out of it, laying rubber, or just flat out stalling. I can shift into the other gears just fine but it's always 1st gear from a stop that fucks me in the ass.

Any tips?

You're going too quickly off the clutch and giving it too much gas. You need to practice gradually coming off the clutch.

Do I have to push the clutch all the way down or just below the bite point?

The problem is that you're too used to using the accelerator pedal in an automatic. In an auto car, you just just pressing the accelerator pedal and the transmission just does what it needs to do to accelerate at a reasonable pace. If you floor it from a stop, most automatics are like this:

"Ok let's g- whoa WHOA OK LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO"

That bit of lag is the computer and transmission figuring out that "Oh ok, this dude wants to go fast, so let's go all out guys!"

In a manual car, it's not like that - your throttle control is a really important and conscious decision on your part depending on what you're doing with your clutch pedal and what you want to achieve.

Right now since you've never had to do it, you don't have the muscle memory. After a while, you'll get the "feel" of it and you'll be ok.

To disconnect the drive train from the engine (for shifting gears or when you come to a stop), you press in the clutch pedal fully.

To take ofd from a complete stop, you find the bite point by slowly lifting off the clutch. When you hit the bite point, the RPMS will drop slightly and the engine will go a little quiet. When you get to the bite point, hold your left foot there, take your right foot off the brake and gradually add a little bit of gas while taking your foot off the clutch. When you get moving in first gear, you can't stall, but if you take your foot off too quickly when you're already moving the car will jerk forward. Another tip about the bite point, is that you can tell your foot is TOO FAR off the clutch if your car starts to vibrate more. So if you're trying to take of you're finding the bite point, and your car starts to shake, just push the clutch pedal down a little or rev the engine to keep from stalling.

>get to bite point
>then off brake

damn i've never done this before. i've done it with the handbrake but never the foot. is this how you take off every time? I just assume you gas a little, bite point, then increase gas while you roll off + off the clutch pedal

Oh, so you have to hold the clutch at the bite, give it gas, then let off of the clutch?

Yes. You need to be at the bite point and start giving it a little gas and gradually come off the clutch.

Also, you don't need to use the handbrake to assist taking off except when you're on a very steep incline. On a slight slope you can get away with doing the normal method but you need to move fast from the gas to the break and you need to have good clutch control.

*from the brake to the gas
Sorry

>Steps to git gud at stick
>Written by a drunk burger

Step 0(Empty space)
>Find an empty parking lot or somewhere with lots of space for you to fuck around
>Even better if it has a flat section and a slight hill somewhere
>Find spectators so they can laugh as you fail to do the next steps

Step1 (Learn bite point)
>let out clutch slowly till car starts to creep forward
>Get car moving on flat surface without using throttle
>Do this without stalling out

Step 2 (Throttle control)
>Now that you know where clutch grabs
>Same as step one but use throttle this time
>Slowly add throttle as you are letting clutch out (how much throttle depends car to car)
>Repeat until you can go from stopped to moving without being jerky as fuck

Step 3 (Hill Starts)
>Learn to do step 2 while on an incline without rolling backwards
>This is pretty much the same as step 2 but you will roll backwards if you are not fast enough
>add throttle while getting to bite point quickly

(Bitchmode Hillstarts)
>Usehandbrake to prevent rolling backwards
>Same as step 3

Step 4 (Downshifting)
>Learn what the RPM difference between gears
>Learn to blip throttle for desired RPM
>Match RPM with gear you want
>Go down 1 gear (5th-4th/4th-3rd)
>I'm almost a racecar driver mode down 2 gears on one blip
>Practice till you can do this not jerky as fuck

Step 5(Pracetice Practice Practice)
>Go drive
>Go drive more
>Keep doing all these things till you can do them without thinking about it

Step 6 (I'm fucking Dagumi now)
>Now that you can drive and are not jerky as fuck
>Heel Toe Dopwnshift
>Same as step 4
>Left half of ball of foot on brake
>While pushing brake either roll side of foot to blip throttle or twist and use heel to blip throttle (depends on car and pedal distance/setup) do whatever works for you there isnt a right way to do it
>Get the gear you want
>you now down a gear/slowed down and ready to go WOT out of the turn.
>foot off brake and onto throttle