Trump

So are new cars going to cost twice as much now since cheap Mexican labor can't be used without huge tax at the border soon?

And what about foreign cars that aren't made in the US? Should we expect those to go up too?

Not that I'm a moron who would piss money away buying a new car, just wondering what the future holds

Any car manufactured in the US will stay cheap, everything manufactured outside the US will go up big league.

Didn't he just meet with a bunch of companies and tell them that there's gonna be tax for products that come across the border and tax incentives if they stay?

Don't know but I did hear about tax incentives for not leaving.

But what does that mean for cars that never were made in the US in the first place? Do they get a pass or do these taxes apply to everything?

Good thing I know better than to buy a new car already.
Trumps not gonna fuck me over on that one.

Why would they get a pass? Move production or pay tariffs.

He's gonna make America into a bunch of landbarge faggots again like Americans all were back in the late 90s - early 2000s

Comfy desu

>implying Trump has control over designs

Even if he did, he wouldn't be producing shitty malaise era land barges because he knows that shit doesn't sell

Americans want large things though cause they think they are getting they aren't getting their monies worth of they get something smaller but better in every way.
And trump is always saying how huge and big & great everything is gonna be ; he already sounds like an escalate salesman.
so I fear the worst........ faggot landbargers everywhere ..................,faggot.

Your fears are unfounded, just like all the other crybabby lefties, fanny bandit

The used market is far too large for any manufacturer to stay in business with a huge jump in prices. This means the manufacturers with plants in the US need to keep costs about the same, which they can since they're not going to be paying anymore.
The manufacturers with plants in Mexico will lose the extra profit they were making by exploiting cheap labor. New plants will be built in the US instead of in Mexico.

>this is what trumptards actually believe

>90s and early 00s designs
I am definitely okay with this
bring back curves and get rid of those ugly polygons on cars that makes everything look like something from a game in the late 90s

>butthurt lefties still think shillary wouldn't have sold out the country to the chinese

It's not gonna be like that it's gonna be like this

>gubment forcing me to buy a POS Ford or Lincoln

JUST

>The used market is far too large for any manufacturer to stay in business with a huge jump in prices.
Completely false. Most people don't care about used cars. They think used cars are buying somebody else's problems.
>This means the manufacturers with plants in the US need to keep costs about the same, which they can since they're not going to be paying anymore.
So Trump is just going to Houdini the high corporate tax rate? Un fucking likely
>The manufacturers with plants in Mexico will lose the extra profit they were making by exploiting cheap labor.
>extra profit
Are you retarded. Profit isn't an extra. It's just positive returns.
>exploiting cheap labor
Giving Mexicans to have and giving American consumers less expensive cars in the process, wow what a horrible thing to do.

*Giving Mexicans jobs

Considering we should be worrying more about our own fucking workforce than Mexico's, yeah it is a horrible fucking thing to do

That looks pretty cool m8

why does some retard have to embarrass the entire nations automaking force by basically admitting we cant make good cars to the world

why is this retard our president

we ams treadin downs a path of disappointment

Tribal designs are not cool, fag.

Our own workforce can do other jobs. We don't HAVE to have auto companies that need to be bailed out by the federal government in case of a recession.

>And what about foreign cars that aren't made in the US?
Yep he's gonna put a huge tariff on foreign cars. It's a shortsighted plan to bring some jobs back to the US and force people to buy American made cars regardless of the actual vehicle quality.

tl:dr Trump is an idiot

are you fucking stupid
even as a Mexibro I think your statement is retarded

>g-guys our third world neighbors down south can't get their shit together
>Please give up positions in our workforce so we can exploit their cheap labor
>We can do other jobs! Like-

How fucking dumb are you retards? Foreign car companies have plants here employing Americans, all it will mean is more investment in America rather than Mexico or the fucking Canadians, if the car is made in our borders there's no fucking tariff

THINK FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE YOU LITTLE SHIT

No, US made cars will similarity go up in price as a result of tariffs on parts and materials manufactured outside of US. Do you not understand how internationally connected the auto industry is?

Even US labour is likely to go up in price due to increased demand as some manufacturing plants increase production in the states in order to avoid tariffs.

Trumponomics. Let's bring back manufavturonf but lose other jobs since we're so fucking uncompetitive and no one will buy our shit once it's tariffs and produced at a higher cost than anywhere else in the world

US is fucked if trump follows his elementary school tier economic plans

what if companies somehow decide to make different spec cars for europe and US?

we could possibly get pop up headlights again

you autist

jap companies often use more US labor than actual american companies

Read an economic textbook or Wikipedia article for once. Yeah manufacturing jobs will increase in the US, but this will come at the expense of all the countries OTHER industries since you guys seemingly want to pretend it's 1940 again in a global market place

Have fun when your cost of goods increase and your exports drop off

>Even US labour is likely to go up in price
So more money goes to American workers? I see nothing wrong here.

no company is retarded enough to make pop ups

It's the equivalent of ripping the copper plumbing out of your house to sell for scrap metal

A plus would be if he truly does bring back the coal industry and maybe that would change the laws on smog

Living in CA rn so I'm cucked by alot of these laws

worse cars and higher prices are the likely outcome

American car industry still hasnt fully recovered from the hit the 70s did to its image I can only imagine another era of shit

lol fuck no

Do you have any proof to your bullshit claims or is it all fearmongering ant-Trump speculation?

Coal can't compete anymore, that's why it's dying. Time to cut the subsidies and find the workers jobs elsewhere.

The industry will be a oligopoly with automaker having higher production costs. How would it not happen that way?

You think north Korea has good cars since the do such a good job protecting their industry?

>Americans demand more pay for their work
>prices will go up
>bunch of new workers and plants/tooling
>competition is taxed to hell
>lax standards come into play because lo who is going to spend all that money to buy a good car
>good chance of shit quality

Trump admitting that your countryrs cars are complete shit while enabling and supporting that fact is sad enough

dude is a tard

You might have a point if it wasn't for the foreign auto companies paying good wages for American workers not necessitating workers unions, and that hasn't affected the prices at all

>US
>In any way shape or form economically resembling North Korea

So all you have is pure speculation based on hatred of America, until you come with actual data backing up your claim, you should really stop posting

>Our own workforce can do other jobs.
I suppose you believe the unemployment numbers and subscribe to the obama vision that our workforce is doing "just great" because "look how many jobs we added!" despite them all being part time mcjobs.

service economy is a myth. A country cannot support itself with just service jobs and intellectual jobs.

I dont see it, it's simple, we make american, and buy american, fuck everyone else. It's worked this way since the dawn of our nation's history.

if you think "global marketplace" is a new concept maybe YOU should read a textbook.

in the early days of the country, Britain was still top dog, and an industrial juggernaut. They made most of the farm equipment used in the civilized world. The nascent US manufacturing industry didn't stand a chance against the british juggernaut. So what did the US do? They implemented a tariff on imported farm machinery to protect the domestic industry.

America has had protectionist policies for ages.

Fucking george Washington signed a tariff as one of the first things passed by Congress. protectionist tariffs encourage domestic production.

Ford produces most of it's US market cars in Mexico and Canada.

Toyota makes almost all of it's US market vehicles, particularly trucks- in the US.

what do you think will happen when that Ford Fiesta costs more than a Toyota Camry?

people will buy the Camry instead, and Ford will be forced to produce in the US or nobody will buy their products.

it's that simple.

Not to mention this isnt without benefit- Trump proposes benefits such as tax cuts to companies that move production to the US.

>service economy is a myth. A country cannot support itself with just service jobs and intellectual jobs.

why not?

I agree that it can be a good thing to subsidize domestic manufacturing--in case of war, f'rinstance, or in an infant industries scenario. Or to put tariffs on imports produced, e.g., without regard to environmental safeguards. But no reason why Japan can't produce cars, US can't produce waiters and software, Japan sends us cars, we send Japan waiters and software.

On another note,
>tfw maybe tariffs on cheap Japanese sportbikes
o well at least erik buell will get a leg up, hopefully

>and buy american

only the retards do this

only reason any American cars sell are because they are cheap garbage

I cant even the last time I bought anything made in America so its funny how thats how its been all this time

Do you really have to be spoonfed?

Have you ever considered googling protectionism?

1) Ikenson, D. J. (2009). Protectionist pandemics? the durability of free trade. Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, 10(2), 15-22.

" Like businesses in other countries, U.S. businesses have become increasingly reliant on transnational supply chains. U.S. producers accounted for over 55 percent of U.S. import value in 2007, which included purchases of raw materials, components, and capital equipment used in their own value-added production processes. Furthermore, an open trade policy is all the more crucial given that 95 percent of the world’s population lives outside of the United States"
2) Archibald, R. B., Feldman, D. H., Hayford, M. D., & Pasurka, C. A. (2000). Effective rates of protection and the fordney-McCumber and smoot-hawley tariff acts: Comment and revised estimates. Applied Economics, 32(9), 1223.
“In contrast, the auto industry is a large loser from both tariffrevisions, presumably due to increases in input costs.”
3) Commentary: Don't forget lessons from smoot-hawley tariff act. (2011, ). Xinhua News Agency

"The Act was criticized fiercely before President Herbert Hoover signed it into law. Calling it "an economic stupidity," automobile executive Henry Ford even spent an evening at the White House trying to convince Hoover to veto the bill. And a petition was signed by 1,928 U.S. economists, also urging Hoover to veto.
Now most economists are of the view that the Smoot-Hawley Tariff had traumatic effects on the U.S. economy, running counter to the intention of lawmakers Reed Smoot and Willis C. Hawley, who launched the bill in the belief that it would create jobs and boost exports. They never imagined a trade war plunging the United States and the world into deep recession. "

When Washington signed those tariffs, US did not have a manufacturing or economic base. It can be beneficial to establish those bases through the use of protectionist measures so they do not face immediate competition from countries with larger economies of scaled. However, the United States is arguably the most economically developed country in the world. It does not need to establish a manufacturing base, it was lost as a result of the countries wealth.

Ford will move production to United States, vehicle costs will increase as labour costs rise using US employees. People will continue buying Camry since ford is even less competitive.

Do regular people benefit from higher costs? Of cars? Would your family be better off if everything from’s stoves to tires had costs in the range of 20-30% higher to allow for low skilled manufacturing jobs? Thank god trump will allow Americans to do the jobs of chinks, that's what we need in this country.

If the united states enacts protectionist measures other countries will follow suit and a trade war will begin.

Protectionist measures have been found time and time again to have negative impacts on the economies of developed countries.

The only people who will benefit will be the uneducated mid westerners who are too dumb to move out of their shitholes

>why not?
lets put it this way.

we are a capitalist society.

A Capitalist consumerist society.

our economy revolves around people buying goods and paying taxes.

the standard of living that this country has enjoyed since WW2, was a direct result of a booming industrial sector and an abundance of industrial/factory/labor jobs.

those kids of jobs pay well, and allow an average person to have some money left over after living expenses to maybe buy a new car, or buy a new BBQ grill, or hell, that lawn mower is getting kind of old, let's buy a new one.

This man works in a factory that makes Ford cars. it is a good paying job. the executives at the top obviously make far more, but the worker still makes a good living. with the money he earns from his job, he can raise a family, and then have some money to pay for goods for his family. he can buy his son some toys and his daughter some dresses. maybe at some point, he decides he likes that new sedan his factory built, and so he decides to buy it.

that is the kind of living standard that the civilized, industrialized world knows.

the majority of the people in the "middle" will have some kind of job like that, while those at the top, have a higher education that allows them to make more money in an exclusive position, and the lower end person maybe works at a retail store for a living, or owns a small family owned shop.

TL;DR, service jobs don't pay enough to live off of properly, unless you artificially raise their wages like they did with McDonald's. they are not jobs that were ever meant to be lived off of entirely.

And on the other end, you have higher end intellectual and educated jobs like CEO, scientist, lawyer, etc, but not everyone can have that level job. they are traditionally exclusive jobs for a reason.

You need that middle ground, otherwise you go back to pre-industrialized society, where anyone who isn't rich, is just poor.

>90s cars

oh god no, not the taurus

wow you are so cool. How can I be as cool as you?

How about this for your pleasure?

also honestly id still take the 90s taurus over many of today's cars

Guess what? Manufacturing jobs are gone because the US is uncompetitive unless you start paying employees 3 dollars an hour. Deal with it.

The service industry isn't McDonalds, The service industry is financials, engineering, healthcare, technology, advertisement, entertainment etc.

These are universally better jobs than screwing bolts into a seat rest for 8 hours a day

>americans will be forced to buy shitty cars

LEL

>getting fucked in the ass
>"It's OK Hillary's dick was gonna be way way bigger"

Truly living the American dream

>no proof the us will be fucked
>more delicious lefty tears anyways
Still not an argument

Continue ignoring posts.

It's hilarious that you think he would dare try Hooveresque policies in this day and age, you chicken little leftists are hilarious when you don't get what you want

He wants to pull out of NAFTA and tax foreign automakers 35%

Those are Hooveresque policies

I don't think his policies will actually pass because legislators aren't quite as stupid as some Americans, however it would definitely be funny to look at pol in a few years time if they did go through as originally planned.

It feels nice to be looking at america through the window even if the policies will also negatively affect me.

The butthurt of hillary losing was funny, but this could be even better.

lots to think about here. strikes me as different than "a country cannot support itself" but nevertheless worth talking about

In particular, it seems to me that postwar prosperity was not the result of industry per se as much as the result of providing things the world wanted but couldn't make for itself because most industrialized countries were devastated. The lesson is not to make 50s Cadillacs, the lesson is to make things or provide services that can't be provided by anyone else.

also worth considering the ratio of labor:capital.

mm yeah but these jobs also have an increasing minimum human capital (IQ/conscientiousness) requirement and assortative mating means that the skills required for those jobs are increasingly concentrated in a small subset of the population. see Murray's "Coming Apart"

>I sense a leaf behind this post
Well he met with Trudeau to discuss trade, we'll see but I'm pretty sure Donny's gonna find a way to win in the negotiations considering Trudeau has no business acumen and is basically the Canadian Ying to Donald's Yang as far as political background is concerned

Mexico is manipulating its currency, and it's killing this nation.

Looks interesting, I'll give it a read when I have the chance

Of course I'm a leaf

I'll be annoyed if he fucks Canada considering US gets a pretty fair deal in NAFTA and its mutually beneficial.

Plus we are pretty similar countries

I think Canada will be fine, Mexico however....

Less and less unions at auto makers now, Like toyota in KY, those guys make what..13$ an hour ??

More and more car companies will slide towards West VA and KY I bet and pay the workers just over poverty.

Mexibro? More like a Meximoron. Why should we do jobs that you can do for less cost, and then ship the fruits of your labor back here for consumer benefit? We both benefit.

Right, keep the Mexicans at slave wages like the Chinese who make your precious iPhone, how humanitarian of the left

It's not slave labour if they are some of the better paid wages in the country, its mutually beneficial.

>some of the better wages
>He makes $60 more a year over the average!

Pathetic leaf

Would you rather he make the average? Because that's the alternative.

Not to mention it also involves engineers etc. who are running the plant and its operations, and the industries supporting its construction etc.

And there are less of them compared to the plebs on the floor, and peanuts above average is nothing to write home about so that holier than thou attitude needs to stop

Its not holier than though lmao, would you rather be paid 2 dollars per hour or 3? Are you harmed by being given a job that pays more?

fucking idiot what's next we won't be able to import food. communist scum

>it's marginally better than a local manufacturing job
>it's soooo much better

Please, if they were making a significant improvement than I wouldn't say anything, but Mexico is treated the same way as China, and we all know how well they're paid

If you want to act like what your doing is actually improving their lives, than actually do something that improves their lives

All this bullshit with them moving manufacturing to Mexico is just to appease shareholders which is why we're stuck in the mess we're in

No shit thats the major concern, its fucking obvious. Did you really feel like it was necessary to point that out?

My point is that its also helping Mexicans

My point is that it's not helping Mexicans like you say it is, it may be a job, but it only pays marginally better than any other job they could get, and yes you are acting holier than thou by saying
>b-but look what we're doing! We're making their lives better!
While not actually doing anything to make their lives better
They're still making the same shitty wages they were before
They're still working the same fucked hours they were before
They don't have any real benefits to speak of from working said job

There's no real benefit to anyone other than those in charge of the company and the shareholders, which is essentially the argument against TPP

pop ups are outlawed on cars built after a certain year (early 90's iirc)

>Completely false. Most people don't care about used cars.
Most people buy used cars, especially today. New car sales are suffering and manufacturers are building more than dealerships can sell already.

>Trump is just going to Houdini the high corporate tax rate? Un fucking likely
If you manufacture all your cars in the US, then you don't have to pay the additional tax. That means your cost stays the same, so your prices can stay the same.

>Are you retarded. Profit isn't an extra. It's just positive returns.
Example here:
Cost to build in US: $8k - MSRP: $10k, that's $2k profit
Cost to build in Mexico: $5k - MSRP: $10k, that's $5k profit.
The $3k is "extra" gained from exploiting cheap labor.

>Giving Mexicans to have
Mexico can handle Mexico's economy. They don't have to feed off of the US, and the US is under no obligation to feed them.

>and giving American consumers less expensive cars in the process, wow what a horrible thing to do.
They're not selling the cars any cheaper, just increasing profits.

Maybe our economy wouldn't be as fucked if we weren't supporting Mexico's economy?

>force people to buy American made cars regardless of the actual vehicle quality.
>hurr durr american cars suck
Go be a special snowflake elsewhere.

Manufacturing jobs offer well paying long term careers that are easy to get into if they're not run by unions. In the US those are being replaced by dead end minimum wage fast food jobs.

The benefit for Americans is cheaper vehicles that allow them to use their time for more productive tasks, and the benefit for Mexicans is a relatively well paying job, and the benefit for shareholders is increased profit

>the benefit for Americans is cheaper vehicles

lmao not it's not, the only benefit is to the board and shareholders who make the majority of Americans

I don't think you've noticed but American cars haven't gotten cheaper, if anything they've gotten more expensive and that's not as a result of inflation either

And the point of my argument is that the policies forcing them back onto American soil is that it benefits the American workforce NOT the fucking shareholders
How many times do I have to say the same thing before it registers in your syrup sucking head?

>what is the c5

*majority of the money

as an ausfag it will kinda hurt us a bit, maybe. but good lord i can't wait to see the US tear itself apart like i pray to jebus it does.

with any luck it will fall further than britain did after wwII.

How would it hurt Australia? What was your country to benefit from TPP? Australian cars will be made in Australia, please explain how your country will feel adverse effects from America forcing American companies back to home soil

oh i was out by a few years.
mid 90's then. happy?

austist cunt

australian cars? what australian cars?

i said maybe. not just the TPP, everything. everything the next 4 years will bring under trump might hurt us a bit.

Oh that's right, the Zeta got killed, but why wouldn't your factories be repurposed for the new models instead of importing from us? Why isn't Holden and Ford Australia reinvesting in their plants? Are you saying that AUS will no longer be manufacturing your own cars?

yeah mate. toyota, ford and holden all pulled out. we got zero.

Damn breh, just don't blame ol' Donny, that shit was decided long before he won the election

Fuck Obama

It means we'll finally have American cars that are actually made in America instead of cheap beaner and canuck shit with chinese parts

Instead of money pouring to other countries it will circulate around the US more meaning we'll all be richer. The companies lose because instead of paying less for foreign workers they'll have to pay competitive wages for American workers.

Its not sustainable to have a high profit margin on vehicles, the competition will under cut you if you pocket the labour costs reductions.

The profit margins on compact cars often are in the range of $500. The fact is that vehicles are cheaper for the equivalent vehicle in years past

The difference is that additional emissions, safety, performance, and more creature comforts are the standard nowadays.

>what is the c5

nothing to do with obama or don.

blame our PM's for that.

i just don't like america and can't wait to see its fall from the "top" so even the average american opens their eyes and sees america as to what it is right now. a shit hole.

Please nigger, I know the country i live in is nowhere near the beacon on a hill we've been thumping our chests about for the past 70 years, shit this country hasn't really been good since the 70s, but it's my country and I fucking love living here, it's not like I'm asking Australia to be turned into glass, stop being a Melbourne and test and chill the fuck out

No, vehicles aren't any cheaper compared to in the years past, price levels have remained the same in compacts but adjusted for inflation, the cheaper assembly and parts only benefits the companies profits, especially when you factor in the cheaper parts that require replacement which is even more profit for the company, stop being a corporate bootlicker, globalism only benefits corporations

*Melbournian twat

Keep calling me a bootlicker, thats fine. I own stocks.

But the fact is you cant be making 20% profit margins on vehicles, or else someone else will happily step in and earn 15%

All it means is that you will go out of business if you do not adapt to the cost saving measures.

You may have a brain deficiency if you cant grasp this simple concept.