CHEAP FAST CARS

So what is a fast, daily driveable car that I can turn into a drift missle later on? Preferably under 10k

>literally poorfag tier
Old chevy trucks, 90'-00 mustangs (handle with care)
>semi poorfag tier
Miata
240SX (pls don't daily me)
Volvo 240 (must be able to afford a swap)
Foxbody (sick aftermarket)
>well off but still poorfag tier
>Lexus GS300/SC300
>2010-13 mustangs
>Pontiac GTO
>BMW 335i/older 3 series with aftermarket turbo
>Porsche 944 (buyer beware)

>special snowflake poorfag tier
>200SX/MR2
Short wheelbase means drifting is harder and mid rear setup means drifting is both harder and more dangerous
>FC RX7
Rotards only
>MK3 Supra
Takes dedication
>300ZX
SEVERELY UNDERRATED FOR DRIFTING BUT A BITCH TO WORK ON
I've missed a few but those are all cars that my group has owned over the years.

>Lexus GS300/SC300
Yea I was leaning towards a GS300. Is it worth putting any money into the engine or should I just save up until I can swap a 2JZgte?

Miata, 240SX or an FC RX-7.

But if you want to be a fag and not pick something standard and easy to work with to achieve what you want, there's the Starion and blah blah. But since you have to ask, fuck off and stick with the first three.

What about the mk3 supra takes dedication? Looking into getting one.

Damn idk about an Rx7, I feel like it would be hard to find one properly maintained.

Weren't more first and second gen RX7s sold than pretty much any old car you can find?

They literally sold almost a million of those things.

And people love the cars enough that they maintained them much better than you average car.

Yea good point, can't hurt to look for one.

Not an FB though, to be clear.

Unless you want to put an FC rear end in it. It has a live rear axle which isn't good for drifting, is it?
I don't know, I don't do the figure skating equivalent of ""racing"""" myself, after all.

people love AE86s for drifting and they have live rear axle in the back
i'd love to own an FB just in general, honestly, they look fantastic and also i am a hipster

S2000

Yea it really depends on weight distribution. If you had a heavy ass car you were drifting, a live rear axle would be shit. But light cars like an rx7 I don't think it would matter.

I get you on that wanting an FB part. It has that certain aesthetic.

Ideally you'd save for a 2JZ but odds are your first drift missile won't last you nearly as long as you hope it will. This is a destructive learning process.
Imo if you're in burger land invest in a manual swap and if anything a 2JZ is a solid investment if you're going to stay in the scene for a while. Have a buddy with a G35 who bought a 2JZ TT and is still (a year later) looking for the right MKIV roller to jump on.
The aftermarket while not expensive is not Honda cheap and the gains you get from it are rather minimal compared to other engines/configs.
Rule of the thumb - a non-mkIV Supra will never be what anybody expects it to be (because of the mkIV hype) and so is more likely to be appreciated by a dedicated Supra enthusiast as opposed to a kid looking for some FnF style thrills

bump

I'm not expecting Honda cheap. I used to drive a 70' mustang, so long as it's cheaper than that, I'll be happy. The one I'm looking at already has a 1jz which, as far as I know, is got better potential than the 7mgte it came with

>Volvo 240

My first car

Shits ac doesnt work when temps are north of 80 degrees. Thanks sweden.

You sound like you have your head on straight so I'll leave ya to it. Just know that too many MK3s are killed by careless kids for me to recommend them to anyone on an anonymous forum in good faith.

Any fox body mustang, just put a Panhard bar in to control the axle drift. If you watched pinks back in the day you can see how many people have endorsed their cheapness to quickness ratio, with the basic mod they'll handle corners fairly well to boot. If you want to go nuts you can put a tubular k member in and a good cage and hold over 1g easily. The stock 5 liter takes around 500+ horse before the webbings start to crack and all the 351 Windsor go-fast goodies fit it.
There's books written on the '88 to '93 5.0 for these specific reasons

It looks more literally like a missile than pretty much any car.

>tfw wanna buy a Twingo, Saxo, or Peugeot 206
>can't because I'm an amerifat
welp looks like I'm gonna have to get something like a GMC Jimmy

>no mention of the F-body twins so far
Shame on you Veeky Forums.
Better handling than the Mustangs, and, 305 excluded, had better engines.

the trick is to go with the 2.3 pinto engine that bottom end will hold up to 1000hp swap a 16v Volvo B234F head on and boost the hell out of it

also forgot to mention the GM Kappa twins. Extremely underrated.

It's because of the hit/miss aesthetics of them desu.
Either you love it or hate it, no real in between.
Fair enough but as far as I know only the redline/Pontiac equivalent were really worth it and good condition examples of those go for 10k+ in my area, not ideal for a poorfag which is what OP seems like. However I have no experience with them, are lower trims quite worth it?

>However I have no experience with them, are lower trims quite worth it?
You still get a bulletproof transmission and rear end since the transmission is still from a truck (Colorado/H3), and the entire rear suspension is still from a luxury landbarge (first gen CTS)
The 2.4L Ecotec of base models, like other Ecotec I4's is bulletproof and loves boost. You will have to change the rods and pistons between 250 and 300 HP, but the engine doesn't need to be removed for this. The ecotec is brilliant in that every car it's been used in can have the entire engine rebuilt without the engine leaving the car.

Hm. I've been considering a Saturn Redline kappa for a while (in need of a new toy) and we actually haven't had one of those around. Might look into it (prefer the saturns looks to the Pontiac's)

There's a tripfag here who occasionally posts using the name Kappa. He bought a Sky Redline on Veeky Forums's suggestion and loves it.

never sold in America.

350z are becoming really cheap these days

and riced out af

>miata
>fast

wut

It's actually a misconception that Miatas are good for drifting. Their geometry is actually too good in a sense. You can't drift that well with such a short wheelbase which is why you're better off with something like a 240

Please don't buy our cars.

This

Honestly sedans are better drifters than most coupes.

M8 how hard would a 4g63 swap be into a starquest

Suprisingly hard. JDM, aussuie, and european starions got a 4g63, but it was an OHC engine vs. the DOHC engines the gvr4, evo, and dsms got. I don't know exactly what you would need to do to get one in, but the DOHC motors dont bolt up. I recently bought parts from a dude who was swapping what seemed to be a 88-89 shp conquest with a 6 puck from a 1g. He had a custom subframe, steering rack out of a 240, and ditched the stock km123 for a r154 out of a mk3 supra.

Regardless its not terribley hard to make power on the g54b. Full exhaust, down pipe, bigger injectors, an 88/89 ecu, and different turbo, probably like a 16g will get you to 250hp on around 13 psi. You can go higher on forged internals.