en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reminder to never give up!

Do you think Steam can be fixed?

This is objectively the better OP.
I bet it won't survive.
Life isn't fair.

youtube.com/watch?v=C-T4VVZrmkA

>reminder to give up as early as you can!

Post GDC talks
youtube.com/watch?v=IE19Te46kYc

Yeah I agree too, can't delete the other thread tho mb

youtu.be/o7KSbdIEA0U

not GDC but i watched this one last night and it's pretty good

youtube.com/watch?v=kC9obuascZA

>vlambeer

is this really worth watching?

rami is such a douche

it is
what's wrong with vlambeer anyways?

this one has more posts, it'll be fine
it doesn't take much of a lead to be the thread that survives

>800 posts in
>still no actual games
rip

>being a boy on Veeky Forums in 2017

No one is going to post their game in a racist thread, and they're probably still staying away from the thread for a bit.

The only openly racist dev is the Tier1 dev

Alright /agdg/, it's been 8 hours. Did you complete what you wanted to work on today? Did you make progress? What are you working on now?

Bloodworks feedback
pastebin.com/5dAVVndV

I ain't got the time. Sister's birthday and lotsa feedback to give.

I decided it would be better to compile the GUI library I'm using myself so I'm trying to find out how to do that

I'm delaying some wrap-up work on my game so I can play demo day games
almost done!
probably won't get anywhere soon though, tonight I have a social thing and tomorrow I have work

Also
>Did you complete what you wanted to work on today?
No, for the aforementioned reason I didn't

Tyrone's laugh is so insincere in this. Sad!

Captcha has spoken: From now on, ideas will be graded in Molignano.

I want to make a 2D SRPG. Should I use Godot or Unity or something else?

Figured out how to call from and assign vars to adventure creators database so the travel systrm/puzzle should be ready to go soon.

>Platinum Games: Action Without Borders
youtube.com/watch?v=wrw2IP6pZu0

How Platinum makes their games. One of the points I like in this talk is the idea of situation-based design. You don't design player abilities in isolation. You don't design enemies, and levels in isolation either.

Instead you think up of what situations you want the player to experience, and build player abilities, enemy types, level layouts, etc. from that.

The talk is more than that, he also goes over how they pace combat intensity throughout a game.

>Presentation: Combat Design - Mark Acero
youtube.com/watch?v=xHG3-Nwc4VM

Has some parallels with the Platinum games talk, but while that talk goes over how they design the game as a whole, this one focuses on combat design, as he goes step-by-step with an example hypothetical game. This isn't a GDC talk but is still good. There's a bit of cringe-ness and some of the speaker's jokes are lame, but he knows stuff.

I've seen these two do several random reads for people but I have no idea who they are

So many AGDG RPGs these days
You will be my rival

I added some props and particles to get some feel going for the game - was using the demo level previously. Also got some basic enemy patrol going (red debug spheres indicate target points), but they don't respond to the player as of yet.

Does anyone know how to make particles (like leaves) orient to their falling direction? or is that too expensive to be worth it? ALSO SKY SPHERE TEXTURE MAP MAKING TIPS PLS

what's all those red spheres? is that for target lock>?

Godot, since it's 2D.

>red debug spheres indicate target points
>red debug spheres indicate target points
>red debug spheres indicate target points [/spoiler

looks like the pathing destination of the enemies

as other anons said, it is pathing targets. just for debugging

so what are they for?

yes! yes! glorious (You)'s
I feel myself growing stronger

it is a visual representation of the location randomly chosen as the enemy's next destination. when they get within 10 units of that location, they select a new location at random and begin anew. the random points are chosen within a radius that has the enemy's starting location as its center point. this is the beginning of basic enemy patrol AI (with short raycasting to avoid walls)

Enemy pathing

Being this retarded

Minions Shootout feedback
pastebin.com/qNGaBLCH

This is so far the only demo I regret to have downloaded. My life is worse for having played this.

>My life is worse for having played this

Added a few more interactions and fun ways to kill people.

Fan can be set to different speeds. If set to maximum speed, this happens...

Also added main character in. Doesn't have any animations yet. Do you think it looks fine if it is transparent while moving (so you see objects behind it)? Any other solution to fix seeing objects behind him (maybe him becoming smaller, etc.)?

If fan speed is set to 2, the fan throws him out the window. Oh and yeah, if you interact with the bed the springs throw the body up, that's why the body jumps. Need to add some bed animation.

but what are the red balls for?

almost, I can formulate it more clearly I think

basically you have, what I'd call the core fantasy, which is essentially the activity that the game appeals to, whether that is medieval fighting, commanding a modern army, living in a fantastical world or whatever

the core fantasy informs the narrative/world(if any), which in turn informs the desired gameplay that will support the core fantasy

it is important to distinguish that mechanics is how the game works, it's what you program.

but gameplay is how the game is played, mechanics change how players can play to win or have fun, you can't make gameplay directly, but only through mechanics and level design can you indirectly create it

finally, the mechanics should be few and simple, easy to understand, the more of the core fantasy you can support through gameplay created by, and the more intricate gameplay you can create, with just a few simple mechanics, the better the game, most of the time

many mechanics add complexity, but not depth, few well thought out mechanics can add much depth, with little complexity

80% of players use less than 20% of the features

fuck yes
i'm still missing a bunch of functions for the guns (effects, animation, damage, etc), but the basic shooting types are done and now i can make entirely new guns solely by changing a few variables in a template which is absurdly good for what i want to do

that can be said of all video games really.

when

you

really

think

about

you just need one epic twitch memer to play this and you're in

in godot do you not need to define variable type when you initialize it?

i love watching your game m8. seems like it's right up my alley

To be the quitest of honests with you, I prefer the green glowing ball over Edgy McScowlface there.

Thanks!

He's edgy for a reason.

it

That was really nice show. You should watch it.

if it's as simple as changing variables, maybe you can include some kind of modular weapon system where you can combine pieces to make new weapons

Nope. Variables set their type when you first assign a value to them. Until then they are "null".

This talk seems related
youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2GndSat1E

Godot is dynamically typed. The variable can change type if you set it to something else. If you don't set it to anything it will start as null.

alright, good to know. thanks anons

Progress!

Ui is still entirely placeholder but I shaped it into at least the basis of how I'd like it to work. Also added mana to players and mana costs to spells.

/dpt/ would have a collective seizure reading this

>post my demo
>get 0 helpful feedback

so much for getting my game seen.

why are there always female hackers in hacker movies and hacker games?
they don't exist. they're impossible to exist. they're not intelligent enough for that type of shit.

First time modeling a face, wish me luck

it's for a Shadow of Destiny tribute

I know there's downsides to dynamically typed, but it's not so bad.

Besides Godot will be getting C# eventually for anyone that really needs it.

Is every character meant to be from a different game universe/era?

>it's a "women are dumb ree why won't any of them hang out with me" episode

they don't represent male hackers realistically either
I mean, fuck, Chris Hemsworth is a hacker?

hi you guys might remember me from a while ago, anyways I'm back to work on fight knight in a big way

today I added a bunch of menu stuff but the most visual thing is some extra camera behavior, basically i keep track of all pending attacks and shift the camera angle towards where they're coming from. this should help out with peripheral vision and just generally preventing people from getting hit by stuff they didn't see

fuck off vine

Dayum. Got a demo for that?

i actually don't remember you, but that looks real nice

Hoooly fuck that camera pullback dude. Probably a bit much, don't you think?

no, i don't remember you at all.
you know why?
because your game is shit.

Nah, it's just a pretty new project so I don't have the art style set in stone yet.

back with more retarded godot questions.
can you use double precision floats with godot timers? i'd like it so that the timer goes off consistently 8 times a second, but when i set the time to 0.125 it gets automatically set to 0.13 which makes he think it doesn't support doubles. is there a way around this?

YATATATATATATATA
looks satisfying as fuck user

looks cool. reminds me of a Virtual Boy game, except actually appealing

I hope you're happy, I have the first floor theme of Dark Spire stuck in my head for the past 5 days.

It's sorcerobe dev

stop samefagging
no one cares about your game, and stop trying to make it look like we do.
fix your game first before posting it here you fucking dumbass

what happened to wizrobe? not saying i dont like this because i really do

yeah man punch the fuck out of that skelleton

are those shadows on the wall being cast or just part of the texture?

shit, nodevs are angry today

>make it for the NinSwitch
>the player actually needs to punch using the motion controls

I ain't samefagging, I'm the doom mod fag.

Where's your game?

they're angry they can no longer shitpost under the grand banner of king nigger

sigh, this can only mean one thing. incoming source posts in 3, 2,

>ruin good gameplay for gimmicky shit

>nintendo is coming out with a new console
>every game should be on it

Truly do I miss the reign of my liege.

I tested in 2.2 doing this:

var t = Timer.new()
add_child(t)
t.set_wait_time(.125)
print(t.get_wait_time())

It printed 0.125 to the console. How do you get your 0.13 and are you sure it's not a formatting issue?

Anyone need a character or sound designer?

i set it through the GUI. didn't think to set it up with code. thanks user, i'll do that

Want to make the most mobile 2d game.
Give me ideas for movements type of games.

damn guys. hi

hopefully in a couple months

thanks!

hmm, maybe. it is a lot less jarring feeling when you're controlling it yourself, but I can see what you mean

thanks!

thanks guys, glad to hear it

it's been in my head for months

lol

yeah dude

sorcerobe is on hold for this year, because I have a great opportunity to work on my own stuff full-time in 2017 but sorcerobe is too big of a project to have any chance of being done in that timeframe. so I made the decision to pull out of that for the moment and go full auto on fight knight, which has much smaller scope

people would die of overexertion

How should you handle resolution options? Should you just have a big list or let the player set it to whatever they want?

>through GUI
I think the Wait Time display field is formatted to only show two decimals. You could set it to 0.125 in the GUI and then print the wait time of the Timer node to the console on startup to verify.

If you ever need ideas for punching attacks or anything cool, let me know. You have my support dude.

I really really like first person melee.

Implement the most common of these if your game allows it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Most people can't be bothered to type in their own resolution and prefer a dropdown list with their own resolution automatically detected and selected.

Progress is really slow.
Today I tried isometric, and idea of a minimap, and sprites (links are missing)

Looks fantastic as others have pointed out

Last time I checked, unfortunately the timer does not go off x times a second if you put 1/x seconds wait time because excess elapsed time does not roll over. So the timer is more accurate at higher FPS, but it isn't actually accurate. That's kind of sad. Maybe I'm wrong? But I tested it and those were my results. When the timer fires it resets to 0, so you accumulate error over time. However, this is easy to fix either in the C++ code or just make your own node with better behavior

first person melee combat is so damn cool, and not explored nearly as much as it should be. that grappling hook pull in particular is sweet

They are cast depending on light position. Not fully programmed though, only does it in a few directions (not 360 degrees).