Electric Pickup

Why not?
>massive amounts of instant torque
>competitive amount power
>"but muh coal rolling"

>truck buyers
>rational

doesn't roll muh coal, isn't lifted high enough, doesn't make me feel like I have a huge cock

>20 mile range towing anything over a thousand lbs.

>competitive amount of power
yea, right. it'll blow everything the fuck out like the model s
t. exxon mobile representative

They should fire the guy that designed that

How can ICE compete?

It's going to have to be able to tow 15k lbs and get the range of a ICE truck and be able to go off road. If not then it will never sell.

There's a reason Trains use diesel electrics.

Thread.

Taking the bait. Might be decent as just a car. Use it to tow anything and you'll get fucked hard with range. Also work trucks sometimes have to work in the middle of nowhere/very remote places where charging it wouldn't be possible. I can see this happening in probably 20 years but certainly not now.

t. exxon mobile representative

Actually, as long as elon keeps expanding his supercharging stations across the U.S it could happen by 2020-2022.

>Use it to tow anything and you'll get fucked hard with range.

ICE trucks lose MPG by towing. And batteries are getting better, so eventually they might be competitive in terms of range as a tank of gas. Probably not lithium ion, though.

It wouldnt be able to use normal electric passenger car motors/suspension. Not rated to tow heavy things. Lotta money to develop something different. Can't just stick a motor in the engine compartment because RIP transfer case. Nowhere to put batteries without sacrificing ground clearance, range, or cargo capacity.

t. MuskCockSucker.

>truck batteries over heat under heavy load.

>spontaneously com busts without warning.

t. increasingly nervous exxon mobile representative

t. exonn mobile shill

t. undercover coal shill.

see

>batteries are getting better

>eventually

>mfw

A good battery would effectively kill the ICE, motor technology is pretty much dialed at this point. It would be a easy switch in the industrial world where everything is already diesel-electric, you'd basically rip out the engines and fuel tanks and replace them with batteries.

Weather or not """""they""""" would let that happen is the real question.

yeah but the upside is they have enormous tanks of fuel that always fill up with the same exact amount every time. batteries degrade a lot over time and lose their maximum capacity

t. rex tillerson

>Okay I need to haul this to a remote location 1000 miles away, and only have a limited time to do so
Again, the problem with electric cars is the limited range and time it takes to recharge the battery.
Billy Bob cant just screw on another battery for a hundred bucks at the tractor supply and triple his range.

All of these things.

Trucks, in the largest market for them (the US) are seldom used as utility vehicles.

They're purely status symbols.

Cue the truckfags coming in trying to dispute shit with that one time they had something in their bed over the last 10 years.

Trips of truth

Such a rare truck

I don't get why people always think trucks go unused. Sure they're generally not going to be used for a utility purpose, but if I use it as such for even just 15 days out of the year, it has done it's job.
And it's rather unlikely that your'e going to see someone use it during that time so you just assume they never use it?

Sounds like those people should just invest in a trailer and a tail hook.

Trailers are a pain in the dick for normal day to day things. Even hitching them up for the weekend is a little annoying. It's way easier to load up the dirt bikes in the back of the truck and fly down the highway at 100mph. Can't do that with a trailer.

So then they would have to store a trailer? Which probably means renting a storage unit and paying monthly fees. And has a point, hitching up a trailer just for a weekend job is pretty annoying especially if you are storing it off site.

How the fuck do you have somewhere to store a RAM or Silverado or F-fuckyouwhatever but not a trailer plus a car?

Unless you have some cucked HOA to deal with, you can probably come up with something using land you already own and less than $2,000.

The trailer has to take up room in the garage or sit in the back yard and take up space. Having just a truck is more space efficient.

>Transfer case
Wut. Why would you have a transfer case? You just have an electric motor on either axle (Or even one on each wheel)
I suspect you could put a decent chunk of batteries up front and even potentially make the thing taller to fit batteries under the passengers. Higher centre of gravity is less of an issue with one of these things than it is in the passenger vehicle.

We're definitely in need of much more battery capacity before these things can be under widespread use, but imagine how good it will be when we have the batteries, these things are going to be insanely dependable because of the lack of moving parts, and real people who do real work will love that. A few generations in the mallcrawling/coal rolling guys will come around for sure.

But hear me out here..
What if we were to make a vehicle, that had all the comforts and amenities of a regular car, but then, get this, we would attach a trailer right on to the back of the car, and put the back wheels under the trailer bit. That way you wouldn't even need to worry about having and maintaining a trailer. And if you wanted to use it, it would already be right there on your car. You wouldn't have to get multiple plates, or anything. And you'd always have it with you wherever you went. So if you were out shoping and saw something you wanted that would need the trailer, you wouldn't have to go get the trailer at all because it would already be with you, attached to your car. Pretty good idea i think.

Sounds like you'd be carrying a trailer around with you for the 350 days out of the year you're not using the "trailer" part.

>these things are going to be insanely dependable because of the lack of moving parts

EV's still have:

Tires
Brakes
Bearings
Suspension components
Cooling systems
Electronics
Grearboxes

If people neglect maintenance on these items these electric cars will wind up in the scrap yard after 4 years. Real "Green"...

still better than ice

also
>if
kys

Ah but get this,
What if i pick up a hobby, say woodworking, and now every weekend I need to haul lumber from the store back home. Or maybe I buy a dirtbike and friday through sunday I take it out to a track. The crailer (car-trailer) would let me do that without the need for myself to haul a cumbersome trailer around.

But you're hauling a cumbersome trailer around all the time, and paying extra for the privilege to do so, even when you're not using it.

Free market determines what is brought. If there was a market there would be electric trucks.

A car and trailer wont get you up a nasty logging road to the trailhead. It's also not going to tow your snow machines through 2 feet of snow to the trailhead.

This is hybrid

What if we were able to make this the same length as a sedan from the 70s. And don't forget, the extra money that you are paying would save you money from buying, maintaining, registering and storing a trailer.

>And don't forget, the extra money that you are paying would save you money from buying, maintaining, registering and storing a trailer.

That doesn't cost $10k. Assuming absolute base-model bitch trucks.

See for a description of what this new crailer vehicle would be like. It would probably need to be higher opp the ground than a regular car to get to remote locations though

Ya lost me. Are you compairing owning a truck to not owning any car at all? A truck isn't $10k more than a regular car

But user, didn't you know that if you buy the basic model and not the ULTRA SUPER HEAVY DUTY FUCK YOU 1000 edition you're a woman?

Lol I hope you know that's just a meme

Speaking of scrapyards, have any manufacturers openly spoken about how they plan on recycling those huge battery packs?

>shit range
>overheats after pulling heavy loads instantly because the batteries and wiring and cooling system isnt up to the job
>???
Electric has its place but its not ready for daily driving quite yet

Because the battery would be drained after one minute of towing