History of (Shia) Islam - Books

Where can I learn about the history of (Shia) Islam? Books by western authors preferred.

youtube.com/watch?v=DI7JIclg3Eo

Other urls found in this thread:

al-islam.org/the-origins-and-early-development-of-shia-islam-sayyid-jafari
al-islam.org/
independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-grand-mufti-iran-sunni-muslims-hajj-a7229416.html
youtube.com/watch?v=DI7JIclg3Eo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

YA ZAINAB

Look up Henry Corbin.

Which one? He has written many books.

>YA ALI

>YA HOSEYN

>YA MAHDI

>DEATH TO SUNNIS

Here you go, OP

Is that supposed to be a book cover?

Bamp.

Come on Veeky Forums, I expected more from you.

Don't really know any good intro to Shia Islam books, but I can answer any general questions you may have.

I have no specific question, I just want to know about the whole history.

Shia Islam formed during the life of Ali, as the name comes from the Shia (or Followers) of Ali.

They looked to Ali and his progeny for spiritual guidance, as opposed to the caliphs Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman as per Sunni Islam.

The Shia leaders and Sunni leaders were shared and fought on a few occasions (shared leadership under Ali as the fourth Rashidun Caliph; Battle of Jamal, Siffin, conflict between Umayyad caliph Muawiyah and Hasan, and finally Karbala)

Shia believe Ali to be appointed Muhammad's successor on the event of Ghadir Khumm, where Muhammad stopped alongside the road and said "For whomever I am his mawla, Ali is his mawla." Interpretation of this event between Sunnis and Shia are often on the meaning of 'mawla' within context, as well as the event within historical context.

After Ali died, leadership went to Hassan, his son. After Hassan, it went to Hussein, Hassan's brother, and so on. The leadership was hereditary, whereas the caliphate was a sort of oligarchic voting process.

I mean something detailed. The beauty of history is always in the details.

Here you go, free to read to boot. al-islam.org/the-origins-and-early-development-of-shia-islam-sayyid-jafari

Obviously biased, don't know any Orientalists' books on Shia Islam.

Cool channel op.

Thanks, it's a start!

You're neglecting another big split between the Sunni and Shia is the fact that Ali and his son were both explicitly murdered and the culprits were heavily likely to be agents of the Umayyads (their founder was fomenting rebellion against Ali from the start for example).

I addressed Siffin and Karbala in my post.

bamp for a book

PESHAWAR NIGHTS

The Shia Sunni debate: Answering the 50 Most Common Questions

Also this site is a goldmine, OP. It has lots of useful content and books too!

al-islam.org/

Why is the Arabic so hard for me to read, am I even Arab wtf.

shi'ites btfo

independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-grand-mufti-iran-sunni-muslims-hajj-a7229416.html

>youtube.com/watch?v=DI7JIclg3Eo
>ywn go to a Shi'ite death squad rave
untz untz untz

This is Urdu actually. Persian also looks like this because of the Nastaleeq script. Sorry for the confusion, user.

>forcibly convert other places to islam
>still only consider themselves the real muslims

the fuck is wrong with saudis desu

How do Shi'ites explain Ali's acceptance of the first three Caliphs and his reluctance to be the fourth?

You'll have to be more specific.

If you mean why he took the 'backseat' instead of the caliphate, he wanted to keep Islamic unity and not divide between the still-forming ummah.

So he accepted what were essentially usurpers? Or did he view the caliphate as a separate institution from the true successorship?

>fuck u majus kaffir

fucking hell he sounds like the salafist autists you meet in online vidya sometimes

Protip: that's what 99% of Sunnis are.

Any book by Richard Spencer. Literally dedicated his life to study of Islam

I never notice a problem with pakistanis (probably because their persiaboo-ness overcomes their saudi-funded petro-islam).

Really it's just Saudis I see pulling this shit. I get along with egyptians, syrians, lebanese, whatever. Saudis want me dead.

>Richard Bertrand Spencer (born May 11, 1978) is an American writer, publisher, and self-described "identitarian" known for promoting white supremacist views.
what

He's just another alt-right youtube fuck who spoonfeeds /pol/acks whatever they wanna hear.

>pakistanis
>persiaboos
Pakistanis are the ones who are aligned and allied with the Taliban in Afghanistan, have their own version of the Taliban in Pakistan, and fund terror groups that are anti-Iranian like Jundallah as well as sheltering and giving aid to al Queda and Bin Laden.

Iran and Pakistan do not get on at at all. Probably why Iran and India have such close ties because neither side trusts Pakistan.

Ja but is that a different guy or was I being memeëd?

wew lad that sure is one giant helping of "i don't understand how governments might get along differently than the people of those respective countries"

Yeah but the 99% of the country that's not involved in any of that is a massive persiaboo. Go to any pakistani person's house and you'll see persian art all over their walls. It's weird how entrenched it is. I'm guessing it's sorta "indirectly" through the mughals, but still.

>governments
Pakistanis literally helped the Taliban assassinate a bunch of Iranian dipolmats and civilians back in 1998.

I would say generalizing it as "99%" is probably pretty ridiculous. Some Pakistanis like Iranians but most are either neutral or against Iran. One of my closet friends is Pakistani and their family has several Iranian friends and he even he told me both at home and aboard, it varies with other Pakistanis when it comes to Iran and Persians.

bamp

last bamp

he wasn't an asshole

How do Sunnis explain Omar trying to kill Mohammed's daughter?

>itt there be Sandniggers

ISBN 1558764364
This is a good place to start, it has history, politics, practices and neutrality all in one. Though this book only specializes in twelvers whom are the majority of Shia

Oh fuck sorry.

Robert Spencer.

I knew I got something wrong omg I'm sorry

I don't see much of a difference desu.

seriously, just fuck off

Thank you very much!