freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

zackbellgames.com/2015/01/19/simple-lighting-surfaces/
youtube.com/watch?v=2N5BrX3NNRE&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

W-we did it anons

Reply to this post I'm testing something.

lighting's no longer broken

@165540667

hahaha no

shameless samefag

Thats cool

How did you do the lighting/darkness?

(You)

(You)

br?

neat

0w0, what's this?

zackbellgames.com/2015/01/19/simple-lighting-surfaces/
although since I was already using a surface I had to jiggling it around a bit, but the code's all the same

How do you deal with players selling ingame stuff for real money?

hire a lawyer and take a cut

Why would you pay money for an item in a videogame?

can't say without knowing your game. either way, your game needs to be really big for that o be a serious problem.

every item gets a unique id
every item id gets an entry in a database table whenever it transfers to another account
whenever you catch a chinese item seller, you now can look at every item they've ever moved from their account to someone elses, and then you ban every single account that received an item from them

What have you done

Great, now add some sort of transition / more interesting shapes / whatever to make it look less awkward.

It's not that big and i don't have a company so no.

Because it has an economy and items and grinding. They even openly discuss it in chat.
Buying/selling ingame currency/items from other players instead of buying it from the devs.

And when i shut the servers off because no revenue, people will say i'm the bad guy.

I know who is selling stuff. But i can't just ban them.
That would cause too much drama and players would say i'm banning for no reason and/or being unfair.

Wtf of course you can ban them. What's with all this pussy shit. They are breaking the rules and should be banned. Set an example.

whats wrong with this?

Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House

Though I bet with a less popular series no one would have given a fuck

there was nothing wrong with the rmah

rmah is a piece of shit but people WILL pay $ for ingame data. Hell if I know why but they will. A contentious company will facilitate it so players don't get fucked over by scammers. Also a greedy company will facilitate it and take a cut to line their pockets with

Blizzard did nothing wrong, he a good boy

It's their item they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it

>make carbon fiber tennis rackets
>sell them to scrubs
>scrubs who can't afford my rackets start screaming because it's an unfair advantage
>authority of tennis caves in and forbids the sale of my rackets

thanks scrubs

What's a good method for setting up a character with attributes, derived attributes, skills, perks, weapons, inventory, etc.

i'm not sure i understand the question because it sounds like the answer is "create a character object with attribute, derived attribute, skill, perk, weapon, and inventory variables"

t-t-that must be a powerful mecha

But I can still clearly see what's in the darkness.

Is there a point aside from looking nifty?

I'm not so sure it actually looks that nifty, what with torchlight passing through walls(?)

>I know who is selling stuff. But i can't just ban them.
ok then, when they log in they get a message saying
>You have been caught selling items. If you get caught again you will be banned. See our terms of use here: {link}

and if they do it again, then you ban them

Well, I'm biassed towards game boy color style pixel art.

But yeah, he could just strategically place torches. The middle one is sorta fine since the wall it's casting through is a downward slop but the bottom-right one could be moved so it doesn't illuminate the central platform.

Vlambeer told me that all juicy games have screen shake, so I added it.

just a friendly reminder that you'll never finish your game

niiiiiiiice

>just a friendly reminder that you'll never finish your game
doesn't stop me from starting it i'm already hours in reading documentation instead of working

>motion blur
kys

I'm positive, this guy has acquired abilities of the Dark Gundam with the help of AGDG!

where's (you)r game?

god damn
screen shake can even make an empty scene with a couple cubes look high quality

you'll never finish my game

because it doesnt exist

>screen shake can even make an empty scene with a couple cubes look high quality
dear i say, aaa?

>hours in
>reading documentation
Get on my level.
It takes me at least 10 hours of shitposting before I even consider thinking about my project.

the default UE4 motion blur looks pretty bad

>tfw I wanted to make a Christmas game that heavily parodies Metal Gear, and references things like god of war, G-Gundam and a slew of other stuff
>someone beat me to it with merry gear solid.

Mine would've been a lot different but now it's just going to be called a copycat.

>THIS HAND OF MINE BURNS WITH CHRISTMAS CHEER

Should I contact black shill media to advertise my game, and does it work?

i'll never finish your game

Haha I wonder how THEY respond to cold emails.

They work alright if you're fine with them bundling your game left and right for pennies.

congratulations world of horror for being the most popular demo

Nope, they're a scam. You'll actually do better just shilling on twitter and tumblr with #gamedev #indiedev, etc tags. Post almost every day with flashy screenshots.

The point of a publisher is not have to do that.

Idea: First person shooter with dating sim elements

I don't have to

anything that can exist at this very moment in this very universe does exist. anything that can't exist at this very moment in this very universe doesn't exist. everything that can exist couldn't exist at some point but, not everything that can't exist could exist at some point.

everything that can't exist and can't exist at some point is impossible. everything that can't exist but can exist at some point is probable.

do you realize what this means? really makes u think.

hdoom?

The way they "advertise" games is by spamming everyone, no one will buy your game because they'll think it's shitty shovelware.

Don't contact those fucks, go it solo, things will go slow but ultimately better than if you sold your soul to those pricks.

this particular company wont do any of it, though
all they do is collect a percentage of your sales

A finished game is a procedure, not a result.
Therefore the state of being finished does not exist. A game can un-finish itself.

And they're a shit publisher.

Well sure, but as far as shit publishers go, they're alright.

Naturally if you think you can get by on Steam alone, or get published by someone like Chucklefish, then sure, go for it.

Did someone say AAA?

Make sure when you take damage the entire screen is tinted red. Then this will be perfect!

Shilling a game isn´t publishing

>blackshellmedia is in this thread.
>RIGHT NOW

SHUT IT DOWN. SHUT IT DOWN NOW. ABORT ABORT

ok

it kind of is if your game is digital only

Even if publishing consisted completely of shilling, Black Shell Media doesn't even do that. So they're not even "alright" publishers, they are a complete waste of money.

I love you, user, and I hope your experiment is going well!

Just look at this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=2N5BrX3NNRE&feature=youtu.be

>When you are a developer creating an awesome game is what you do.
>But when it comes to spread the word and get download, sometimes having an awesome game isn't enough

Or maybe your game is just shit, otherwise it would spread word by mouth

Jesus fuck, even the YT thumbnail looks soulless as fuck.

>otherwise it would spread word by mouth
this is akin to buying one lottery ticket and actually expecting to hit the jackpot

>using a publisher
>using social media
>using an engine
>using outside help at all
>not being a free as in freedom dev

your computer has proprietary hardware in it

Look at all these amazing games that they have helped make famous, how can RoR even compete?

I build it from raw silicone

>click on their channel
>see which games they've supported
>I haven't heard of any of them

kek

The top 3 were relatively popular.

>average views are less than 200

yeah, I be better off shilling my game on /v/

More like
>Click on their channel
>4k Subs
I know dedicated shitposting channels that have more subs.

Hell, I have a YTchannel that has more subs. The whole point of going for a "publisher" as an indie is for free marketing and when you can market better than a company then it's not worth your time or effort.

This entire video is so soulless and cheap, I'm fucking baffled that anyone would trust these people.

>dungeon souls shilling thread popped up in /v/ a few months ago
>blackshellmedia shill here too

>sanctuaryRPG is published by them
Really?

No, we aren't.

you can work with companies like that if they accept performance based terms. bring your lawyer and negotiate milestones. for example, less than 10k copies sold, they get nothing. less than 100k sold they get 5%, less than 500k sold they get 10% etc. the numbers i've used are absurd and are meant to illustrate what i mean.

/v/ is usually good enough to spot shills and those threads get deleted rather quickly.

That's why agdg has some advantage because /v/ knows about our shitty games already,

how can i manage my sleep? I don't want to sleepydev.

>how can i manage my sleep?
By being a fucking responsible adult, if you don't get tired by the time you should be in bed then you don't get enough exercise throughout the day

Don't consume caffeine ~4 hours before sleeping. Not only does caffeine make it harder to sleep (which I'm sure you knew) but it also degrades the quality of your sleep.

Set an alarm and move to your bedroom (with no smartphone/laptop/tv) at a regular time every day.

Regular exercise / healthy diet helps you fall asleep faster.

Take powernaps when you feel your brain getting groggy. 15 minutes is literally enough to knock that shit away.

>JUST GET GOOD
Nice advice. You should become a counselor / private trainer.

It's an information problem, not a self control problem.

cold shower before bed

>It's an information problem, not a self control problem.
>It's an information problem
>information problem
>how can i manage my sleep?
How did you grow up?

she literally gave you good advice

gms question.
when i wanna do level design like pic related.
where do i put those non-interactable background img/sprites?
do i put them in background? tiles? or as an object?

I don't get why someone who has English as a second language would weigh in here.