Take car to shop to diagnose weird simple vibration noise coming from front right tire

>take car to shop to diagnose weird simple vibration noise coming from front right tire
>greeted with a sheet of paper with various repairs adding up to $1,976.51 in total

that why you have yo tell them faggots listen here niggers fix that shit only leave the other shit alone you homosex faggot

Why not just fix it yourself? It would be a fun activity and learning experiance.

>take car to shop for some minor fixing
>get a phone call from the shop that my car is so fucked that fixing it would be more expensive than buying a new one and it won't pass the vehicle inspection
>car will be turned into scrap next week
They also started fixing the minor problems before death sentence and I have to pay for those fixes

Probably a Mercedes lol.

it is

>take car to shop
>they try to convince me the repair is more then the value of the car
>try to sell me on a new car
>don't realize I don't look at this car as a business investment
>it's not what the car is worth, it's a tool for transportation
>if I wanted to sell it I wouldn't have bought it
>i'm trying to fix this car I own, not make payments on something that's fine and dandy.

Same here user. I've paid double what the car is worth in 3 years of repairs but I love the thing so much I can't get rid of it. I still have a few thousands repairs needed that I will get around to eventually, but I am planning on keeping the thing until it falls apart, not until I max out on what I can afford in maintaining it.

+ when you consider the costs, whether payments, repairs, maintenance, on a new car, it's almost equal.

I don't even want to deal with a mechanic.

All they will do is complain about
Worn out tires
Leaking headgasket
Loose/worn timing chains
Catalytic converters are ruined
Burns oil
Fuel emissions system broken
Airbag system broken
Ect.

Nigga it's been fine for the past 20k miles

Yeah that's what I could never wrap my head around.

It's like, either I'm paying full coverage, a car payment, and still fixing shit when it breaks.. Or, I can just fix shit when it breaks and have liability and no car payment.

Both of these seem like scams to me.

top notch grammar
thank you for you contribution

>Mfw t56 swap and it's still not finished 2 months later.
Gonna hate to see the final bill like 4700+
Only spent 4000 for the car and it's only worth 6k and I've already wasted thousands more on it in little over a year

Oh well at least it's mine

should of listened to scotty

wat car m8?

2001 Holden Commodore Calais vx1 LS1 with fe2 sports pack

A 2002-2006 Pontiac GTO to you seppos but with 4 doors and longer but lighter ironically.

The g8 and chev ss has a different chassis.

Mine looks like this in white with a different front end and no spoiler

the only cars that you could take to a mechanic and not have a ton of shit wrong with are pretty much brand new

you could nitpick any car and find a ton of shit wrong

>bring Honda to shop with some issue I can't figure out
>Repair bill always ends up being like $80-200 instead of $2000

R
E
V

U
P

Scotty doesn't know. Don't tell Scotty.

nice sound like a fun car. Hope you enjoy it lad.

the cat is going t spill the beans

>I have to pay for those fixes
No you don't. Just block their number.

>repairs adding up to $1,976
Just laugh and drive away. Make sure to get a free cup of coffee in the lobby and to leave a steamer in the john.

But you're still driving a Honda

>clonk when driving over bumps
>faulty part: €25
>labour cost: €160

They act like a new car is going to have no issues at all.

Lets say, I can take my used car, pour $5000 into it for repairs, and have it go 70,000 miles with no issues.
Or I can buy a new car for $30,000 and have it go 70,000 miles with no issues.

After 70,000 miles let's just say I assume I'm going to have to fix something again on both cars. I know it's not a scientific comparison but...

Hmmmm which is the better deal?

rip

Depends on how long you plan on keeping either car.

Good luck getting a new car to go 20k without repairs never mind 70k.

but user

don't forget your dealership check up intervals to keep that warranty in tact.

that'll be 2k for a timing chain at 50k miles, tyvm.

you don't want to have to replace your engine out of warranty do you, user? full coverage doesn't count for maitnence neglect.

>kid takes car to shop to fix problem
>they fix the problem
>kid mad
I don't see the issue.

>kid

>Warranties
>Being a dumbass I also bought the warranty
>My local dealership is always trying to find reasons to invalidate my warranty
>"Improper" maintenance is one of those reasons
>They are pretty vicious about warranty disqualification
>really ruins for me the magic feeling of owning a car with their greed
>Sorry Sir, the tech can't feel that vibration.
>Sorry Sir, the water pump is not part of the powertrain.
>Sorry Sir, burning one quart of oil every 500 miles is within fatory spec.
>Sorry Sir, we don't accept store recepits as evidence of an oil change.
>Sorry Sir, the ECU shows that the car has exceeded 90 MPH.
>Sorry Sir, all of these transmissions shift hard.
>Sorry Sir, I know it's been a week, but we can't get to it until next Thursday.
>Sorry Sir, the tech found an un-approved modification.
>Sorry Sir, the tech found a rounded-off bolt.
>They kept the car for a month and a half
>Refused to give it back
>dealership techs
>doing things correctly
>YOU MUST PAY THE EXAMINATION FEE IF THE REPORTED PROBLEM DOESN"T EXIST OR IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY
>They make far more profit on doing the same work on non-warranty cars
>in-warranty work means manufacturer pays the repair costs and it is not possible to fool so can't fraudulently overcharge

ok baby

Exactly. I hate retards who say they got a good deal because the car has a warranty, yet when they go to take the car for repair, they're stopped right in their tracks because of 9,001 loopholes

faggot

>take car in for tires and alignment, >first alignment I have had done on it since I got it.
> 2001, 210k miles, mass. Maine. And Virginia roads.
>"Should only be an hour"
>2 hours go by
>"Sir your toe adjustment is struck beyond belief, we are working on it, its way out of alignment did you hit something
> No, recently replaced tie rod ends..

I think they spent over 2 and half hours getting the adjuster to turn. They did it. I felt bad they most likely lost money on the entire deal. Ordered the entire shop pizza.

Service Writers are the problem. They get incentives from the dealership to optimize profits. So they sacrifice the customers in order to earn bonuses.

>Warranties
>Being a dumbass I also bought the warranty
>My local dealership is always trying to find reasons to invalidate my warranty
>"Improper" maintenance is one of those reasons
>They are pretty vicious about warranty disqualification
>really ruins for me the magic feeling of owning a car with their greed
>Sorry Sir, the tech can't feel that vibration.
>Sorry Sir, the water pump is not part of the powertrain.
>Sorry Sir, burning one quart of oil every 500 miles is within fatory spec.
>Sorry Sir, we don't accept store recepits as evidence of an oil change.
>Sorry Sir, the ECU shows that the car has exceeded 90 MPH.
>Sorry Sir, all of these transmissions shift hard.
>Sorry Sir, I know it's been a week, but we can't get to it until next Thursday.
>Sorry Sir, the tech found an un-approved modification.
>Sorry Sir, the tech found a rounded-off bolt.
>They kept the car for a month and a half
>Refused to give it back
>dealership techs
>doing things correctly

>YOU MUST PAY THE EXAMINATION FEE IF THE REPORTED PROBLEM DOESN"T EXIST OR IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY

>They make far more profit on doing the same work on non-warranty cars
>in-warranty work means manufacturer pays the repair costs and it is not possible to fool so can't fraudulently overcharge

You sound just like my experience at Good Chevrolet. The "service writers" at that stealership likes to disqualify my new car's warranty coverage. They must get monthly or periodic bonus awards for optimizing stealership profits. I got fed up and went to a far away one for service and it was also cheaper even though Good Chevrolet claimed their prices were standard.

Good Chevrolet ruined the "new car magic" feeling for me. They are located in Renton, Washington state, USA. I don't want to buy any more new cars from them.

>driving

Not sitting there with a broken whatever.

I took my 3 year old civic (completely unmodded) into the Honda dealership wondering why my car was making a knock every so often. I thought it was nothing serious so what the he'll it's under warranty. Later one of the techs wants proof that I did an oil change. I to him I did it barely 2k miles ago but he persisted that somehow this knock was caused by poor oil maintenance. I lauded him and asked if it smelled like shit or like gasoline. He wouldn't answer my question so I asked him again if it was unusually thicker than normal or if it had significant discoloration (usually caused by oxidation, Aka hasn't been changed in forever) he muttered a "no" but insisted still that I somehow prove the oil was changed.

I'm a oilfield chemist and I do a lot with antioxidants and improving oil formula for all sorts of companies. I didn't want to make a bigger stink of it than I already did so I pulled my credit card receipts and proved I bought a new filter and oil for it. The "manager" of the service department started to bullshit me about how this some how wasn't proof it was done. I got really mad, reminded him what I'd do for a living and I got a plastic jar out of trunk and ordered him to pour me off a sample of my oil, just a few grams is all I needed. I finally scolded him that if I come back and this oil isn't fucking dirty I'm contacting my lawyer, your boss his bosses boss and the 9 yards just to prove a point.

A day later after I had my oil analyzed the oil was absolutely fine with no contaminants or evidence of decay. The viscosity was even in spec too. Drove back to the dealership showed the "manager" my analytical data of the oil composition and said that if he attempted to deny my warranty again for accusing me that my oil was bad without any evidence I'm suing.

They fixed my car and the owner even had my car fully detailed. I'm never going back there again or any dealership for work. These warranties are such a fucking scam

At that point, you look through the list and DIY the stuff that you are able to.

After a little while, the only things you're not going to be able to handle are full on engine rebuilds and computer-related stuff.

>there's a problem with my battery unit or alternator, it won't keep a charge/won't charge at all
>show me the last time you got your tires rotated if you don't have proof this warranty is void

The only time I don't work on my car is if the heads need to go to a machine shop or if my transmission needs rebuilt, which I pay my uncle to do. Ain't no one else touching her.

>yea there's a rattling on my muffler
>if you don't have proof of your oil service record I can't help you. You know how much the oil had to do with your muffler? Not a damn thing but the point is that oil service record is really important and I need to see it before I do any work

good on you

>They act like a new car is going to have no issues at all.

It shouldn't. But dealerships find ways to charge me for issues during your 3 year new car warranty. Each time I bring it in with a problem, the dealer charges me $168 or $300 for an examination fee. If no problem is found, I have to pay the exam fee. If a non-warranty problem is found, I have to pay the exam fee whether I fix it or not. Exam fee doesn't apply to the cost of fixing. If both a non-warranty item and a warranty item is found, I eat the exam fee. If only warranty items are found, there is no exam fee as it will be covered under warranty.

That's how my dealership works. They love to find ways to say no problem found to maximize their profit for each repair. If they repair it out of warranty, they make far more money for doing the same thing. I also have to pay the exam fee in addition to repairs.

I feel scammed even though what they are doing seems to be technically legal.

I really hope that story is true because I am rigid.

>mfw the transmission is under warranty but for some reason the clutch is not
>mfw the transmission is under warranty but for some reason the crankshaft, drive train and differential isn't

K O S T E N V O R A N S C H L A G

I was a mechanic at a Nissan/Infiniti dealer for a very brief period. The warranty BS is scam not only to the customer but also to the technician. Warranty work basically paid me half of what I'd make on a normal paying job. So sometimes when that tech is looking for those obscure service records etc, he might just be hoping you'll walk away so he can make better use of his time. It sucks but the warranty is screwing everyone. Not just the customer.

You must look like a little twink faggot i go in there and get lowest price

>bring car to service station
>tell them to switch my summers to winters
>get car back
>pulls SUPER hard to one side
>bring car back
>fag tires to blame it on my "cheap" tires
>"cheap tires, never heard of them before"
>mfw they're $1400 set of pilot sport alpins
>pic related
>proceeds to rotates tires

Idiots. Fixed the track issue but now there's a brutal shimmy coming from my front tire. I hope it's just a balance problem. Why are mechanics so fucking stupid?

This is why I saved up for a jack and a good torque wrench.

Why did you take it there? Why did you need a mechanic to swap tires? You realize that if both sets of tires are already balanced you don't need to balance them every single time you change from for winter or spring

>now a brutal shimmy
>permitting a "mechanic" to touch your car
>ever

Because they don't care

I brought balanced tires on dedicated winter rims and they still fucked it up.

>the mechanics start laughing at you when you drive into the lot

Op must be a beamer faggot.

All they should have done is just swapped your wheels for summers, 5 or 6 lugs per side or what ever. Sounds like they might not have done your lugs symmetrically

Better question is why did you just Change them yourself

I did that the previous year. was too lazy and cold to do it this year.
I'm expecting to find a washer or chunk of metal between the wheel and the hub. Shit's shaking bad. I've been driving like it for a month now lol

>I'm expecting to find a washer or chunk of metal between the wheel and the hub. Shit's shaking bad. I've been driving like it for a month now lol
You did this to yourself and the fact that you say you've been on it for a month says you don't give a fuck

>You did this to yourself
pretty sure I didn't
>you don't give a fuck
correct

so car maintenance is a meme?

Aside from the basics, just fix it when it breaks. IMO

>pretty sure I didn't
You brought it to a mechanic, let them fuck you and ruin your car. Now you're driving on a janky wheel that's fucking up your alignment and you don't give a fuck but you're whining about it anyway

This is your fault

>got myself a 1 piece head to muffler exhaust for my Miata off a FB group for $230
>being one piece, it doesn't just bolt on
>cut just before the cat and run open headers for a night
It's bad guys. Real bad
>weekend, go to some "Performance" muffler shop for V-bands on both ends of the cat
>Call them, they say they have V-bands
>take the exhaust to them, they hardly speak english, and have no idea what a V-band even is
>go to very well reputed muffler shop
>they know exactly what I wanted, told me it'll be 3 hours
>ended up being $330 for both labor and parts
I really really need my own welder.

Is my dealer a rarity or something? I have a Titan and my dealerships been awesome to deal with, they never question my service requests and their pricing is always competitive with other shops.

You sound really young.

Possibly. I only stayed a few months before returning to my old job and that's the only dealer I ever worked at. Very reputable in my area but will also fuck over their technicians. I've heard this about most dealerships but who knows?

>my cousin ended up spending $2500 at mechanics trying to fix her corolla
>it wasn't even worth $2000
>the mechanics didn't even fix the problem

You, I like you. I like your shop too.

this shit is why people go to stealerships to fix their cars

Interesting, I've dealt with them for three years and it's always been the same guys in the shop, primarily middle aged, service manager is quite knowledgeable and keeps perfect records and the parts guy always has this goofy grin like he's working a dream job. Reading the horror stories people seem to have had with their dealers I'll count my blessings.

>So sometimes when that tech is looking for those obscure service records etc, he might just be hoping you'll walk away so he can make better use of his time.

The tech already made money charging the exam fee. NO IN-WARRANTY PROBLEM FOUND. Pay the exam fee. I've watched techs work on cars. The same tech might work on two different cars at the same time. He walks between them. I wonder if he is double-charging the hours for fixing the cars!

They have enough regular customers so they don't need warranty work. So they make me go away so that some non-warranty work occupies their shop's floor space.

They basically push the warranty work onto the other dealers in the area unless it is a factory recall.

>guys I told them I want a noise gone so they fixed it, I mean what the fuck

It sucks but it's truly not a greed thing. Techs need to hustle and get the good jobs in that environment just to make ends meet. I found that out the hard way the first month I was there and didn't make enough to pay my normal bills. You start to watch the guys that are making money and they constantly check with the service writers to grab the good jobs and never touch warranty work. And it's not like they're making a fortune clawing for scraps like that. I'm glad I got out of the industry when I still could, 12 years was enough of that.

they can't do a thing without your approval.

if the cost was too much, why did you approve everything?

Is it unreasonable or stupid to take my car to a shop and have them look at everything and tell me what needs attention? I'm sure there's plenty to fix, but I don't have the money to have someone else do it, unless its something really complicated or advanced.

No part numbers with separate prices for parts and labor? What customer would be cool with this?

They can't do any work until you confirm after calling you. That's on them and I would fight it.

It's stupid because the shop is just going to go by a list of common repairs for your car, so you are not getting a real inspection.

Dont blame all the mechanics. Some really care about doing their job right, you just have to find the right shop.

not necessarily. just ask how much an inspection is and ONLY go with that. don't tell them you arent going to get any problems found fixed though, shops generally don't like you "wasting their time" aren't going to get something fixed.

>nothing serious so what the he'll
>serious so what the he'll
>so what the he'll
>what the he'll
>the he'll
>he'll
>'ll
>'

We would do this quite a bit for our customers because I worked for an Italian family owned shop and everyone on earth was someone's "cousin." I'd basically do a normal state safety inspection, which covers the "need to fix" stuff, then test the battery, cooling system and a few other not so important things. I'd list everything I found and charge an hour labor.

yea you're right. My only good experience with a shop was a yota dealer.

2013 MB 906 Sprinter 2500. WAITER.
Complaint : Forward 12v socket inoperable.

- LF brake pads

>Sprinter

stopped reading there

07 mercedes slk 240
automatic gearbox died at 150k on the clock
>$3800

sorry op

Not bad. How fucking poor are you people? My old ass NV4500 was ~$1500 for a new trans. You can't afford a car if boils like this are a serious issue.

I don't know friend, $3800 aint small change to me

>spending 5k on a $3k thrashed boganbox for literally no return

Only you, Falcunt.

>slk 240
>posts clk

what's it going to be junior

for a trans + labor? how much do you think shit costs? $1500 was just for the parts btw.
also:
>poor
>driving a Mercedes
nigger get out

>fix buzzing noise
>another noise pops up in its place
the never ending cycle of a 100k+ mile car

What did you do to this car user?