Yo

Yo

"$900" cost of replacement engine
$1600 in labor
$2500 total

is this a ripoff or what

Why is someone else doing your engine swap

a solid 8 hours worth of work costs the shop time which is money and space which is money

and they still have to fucking buy the engine, then haul it to the shop or pay to have it hauled to the shop

then they need to make money

what do you think a fail price would be?

That's actually fairly cheap, all things considered.

can you do it yourself? probably fucking not.

but can someone do the job you do?

sounds about right for a by the book engine swap

If its such a ripoff then replace your engine yourself.

Should be $500 and an afternoon, OP.
You're doing it wrong.

kek

this just google it

That's perfectly fair goy. Jose and paco need their 25 bucks a day to feed their families. Don't be cheap you racist. Now be a good goy and throw in a 20% tip

>"$900" cost of replacement engine
>$1600 in labor
>$2500 total
>is this a ripoff or what

Having replaced an engine myself I would say it's a great deal, that shit is hard, tedious, and full of possible complications.

An engine switch is beyond the abilities of most nonmechanics outside of a shop, most hobbyists lack the tools, knowhow, and supply chain to make it happen in a timely fashion.

Inb4
>But there's YouTube videos and some anons on Veeky Forums said I could do it over a weekend!

>It's a "user thinks he should only pay for parts, while labour should be free" episode

Do it yourself if you don't want to pay labour, even if they made you pay half of that you would have come here crying that you paid labour costs for almost as much as the engine cost.

Two to one is pretty common in terms of labor to supplies/stuff.

Yeah, expect me to work for free, go fuck yourself OP. You're the reason I hate every customer by default until proven otherwise.

stop talking real world shit, we need memes

I was going to give you shit for all being faggots as usual, but at least this newfag knows what's up:

>Having replaced an engine myself I would say it's a great deal, that shit is hard, tedious, and full of possible complications.

>
An engine switch is beyond the abilities of most nonmechanics outside of a shop, most hobbyists lack the tools, knowhow, and supply chain to make it happen in a timely fashion.

1000 times this. If you have a daily and a garage where you can keep your shit for a month (unless you have no job), it's another story. But that's still a month of wasted evenings.

>Taking more than two days to swap an engine
It's not rocket surgery user. Even with modern engines and computer controls. You just have to modify the wiring harness to fit and bring over the old ECM.

What should I expect in labor costs for a shop to swap in a 1000cc motorcycle engine into a kei car?

Except sometimes it can be since newer cars don't like electrical inputs that aren't OEM.

That's why some swaps require two ecu's, and can be a wiring nightmare.

Yea, after you:

>safely raise the car
>pull out half the shit in the engine bay
>pull out the axles
>safely secure the engine
>drain fluids
>disconnect the tranny (might as well change clutch and flywheel while at it, and look over the other parts)

And I have left out about 90% of the details. If you are a mechanic and have all the tools, it's one thing. If you are an aspiring racer / modder / whatever, fine. But if you are just someone shitposting on Veeky Forums, there are genuinely better ways to spend your time.

Again, if it's fun for you, and you have nothing else to do, go for it, but don't make it seem like it's easy.

Also, as the guy I quoted said - you fuck something up, you are waiting for parts for days.

I am not even thinking about non-native swaps, I thought OPs shit was fucked.

Don't get me started on non-native shit, especially if you have to adjust mounts and wiring. Then there's the fact that you often swap the transmission too, etc.

That, combined, truly is beyond the capabilities of 90% of hobbyists.

>rocket surgery
I kek'd

>implying paying extra isn't how you avoid the cheap mexican labor

Having done a clutch replacement, with flat-rate labor cost listed as 19 hours, that price may be in line.

Year, make model? Is any other work being done? what needs disconnected? AC. P/S, gotta fill the coolant obviously. Any seals being changed?

New engine have manifolds on it? How crusty are the exhaust bolts?
Nothing makes me chuckle like people thinking "an engine swap" is like plugging in a toaster.

You've seriously never heard that before? lmao

This.

Never lol, only "rocket science"

sauce on pic?

i was quoted by a reputable shop 6 to 7k for a tt swap on muh na z32

thats including everything, complete tear down and rebuild

you must have a easy to source small engine and they should replace all the shit they can whilst its out

not any shop will just do a swap/replacement and leave it there

they can easily do brake jobs and easy quick shit and make more money faster

>i work with shops from low to god tier, and no i dont sell tools

Yeah you got ripped off.

I recently blew up the the engine in my '01 Firebird and payed $700 for an engine with 90k miles on it. $700 in labor and $100 worth of fluids.

heh, I'd get those rates if the mechanic was dating my wife too

done it in a week with the book that came with my car

>his user manual tells him how to do an engine swap
cool story bro, seems legit

I'm not your bro, dude

I'm not your dude, buddy

I'm not your dude, bro

I'm not your buddy, guy

but are you a dudebro?

[rolls coal internally]

I'm not your guy, friend.

I'm not your friend, buddy!

kek where is this from

Asking the real question

it's template.

original.

Are you guys fucking kidding me? Replacing your engine with another stock one is so fucking easy, it's literally unbolting and unplugging some stuff and plugging and bolting it back in. Why are you guys here if you are scared of even basic work like this? It's parhetic honestly...

2500 for someone else to do a swap is bretty gud

A used LS1 is 200$ in a junkyard.

The only thing that shows from your post is that you never even attempted at swapping engines on something bigger than a lawnmower

ok, numale

I got a new engine shipped to me with 20,000 miles on it, had a shop do it for 800$. Engine was 700$. You're being overcharged.

Because it's not something that has a service schedule, figure it'll be about 110-150 an hour per labor. This would take a while because literally everything would need to be custom fabricated.

Who's this girl(boy)?

I once installed a jasper rebuilt 3.1L in a 97 chevy malibu. The car had 190k and was not in the best shape but he wanted it done. Total $6k. I told him he should buy another newer malibu for like $3k instead but he insisted. Dumb motherfucker.

That's a pretty fucking good deal dude.
Shops around here want 3 grand for a pull and rebuild.