WWI thread

WWI thread.

I'm reading/listening to "Now it can Be told" and it's tragic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fHObCL2luMw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am in the very rudimentary stages of producing a short, animated film about the Christmas truce.

Does anyone know where I can find...

>information about british & german winter gear/uniforms in 1914
>any sort of references as to what artillery fire would've sounded like on the receiving end
>a good, preferably free sound effect of a lee-enfield rifle

?

Can't really help you but good luck. Check historical archives I guess. You might be able to get the descriptions of uniforms from old texts.

You know, when the Germans were marching through Belgium, the armies were preceded by guys on bikes telling everyone what the deal was. Thought that was pretty neat.

Although from a fictional movie, the costumes and equipment in this clip are spot on. (The greatest inaccuracy is the Scots and English regiments mixed in the same section of trench).

youtube.com/watch?v=fHObCL2luMw

Speaking of uniforms, I can't really distinguish what nation that soldier fights for based on his own uniform.

Who is he?

That guy was a Belgian soldier.

One man can make a difference.

Is this from the Somme?

Anyone know how many shells were spent there?

I can tell you about the British uniforms

You want pattern 08 or whatever webbing. You'll want the combat troops in "battle order" and not "full order" which means the light pack on the side is on the back and the large one discarded. For guys not on duty they probably won't have any on except the sergeants will have the belt on with a bayonet.

Standard service uniform with all the regimental accessories. This can prove difficult and will require lots of research on your part. There was a fairly standard pattern greatcoat as well, I would expect they all had them.

Make sure you use soft caps and no helmets. They started out very stiff but apparently got very shabby quickly. The rest of the uniform should look clean but well used, with the brass tarnished. Helmets didn't appear until 15 and were rare until 16. No gas masks.

Any other questions or more detail is be happy to help with, I did fairly sophisticated reenactment and know quite about about the standard uniform.

For god's sake make sure the men are shaved and their faces clean, the scruffy dirty (looking) soldier is an American meme from Vietnam