/vgt/ - Volvo General Thread

Thread to discuss about Volvos in general.

>Post your Volvos
>Post pics/videos

>Shill about safety
>Tell why you drive a Volvo

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_M90_transmission
youtube.com/watch?v=u7V-G3PiRUc
miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5962336279.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How easy is it to wrench on a XC60/90? I love volvo, but I'm worried it'll be a pain in the ass to maintain compared to my camry, which is ridiculously simple

What volv/o/s are easy to wrench?

Haven't had a volvo yet but new v90 (not OPs crosstrek) looks mighty tempting. So few choices here in the states

Avoid pretty much any with a letter in the model except S90/V90 until '98, those are just rebadged 960s. 850 can be tricky and is wrong wheel drive, so 240/740/940 is choice; redblocks are cake. 960 has an inline 6 which is nice, but I don't have much experience with them.

Its nothing you'd want to wrench unless you have to.

Avoid early AWD like plague unless you are 100% its haldex and not volvo's own AWD system, they tend to destroy itself and turn into fwd only.

Uh what? I have a first gen s80 and it's easy as fuck to work on.

Dat timing belt tho.

Can't say it took more time than any other car with a transverse engine, but I'm not a mechanic so I spared a weekend for the job.

>literally the same inline4 for every car of the brand - the general

Fucking washer fluid bottle and servo triggers me eternally

:smug:
Faster in a straight line than 99% of what I see on the road every day and it only cost 7k and yes of course it's the manual

Not that same user but, I was looking at a 98 v70 GLT with an auto transmission, are you saying avoid and abort?

>not getting an 850 for those i5 harmonics.

03 V70 T5. 166K miles with zero issues. Pretty damn quick and amazing in snow. Obviously since it's a wagon, it's got a ton of space and I've slept in the back on many long road trips.

Hnnnnnnnng that turbocharged I5 is godly.

Also have an 07 XC70 and an 86 244DL. Volvo for life.

No it will work, as long as you except to do some maintenance like every other car. If i remember right early V70 is quite comfy.

Good thing its a fantastic i4

I would but it's impossible to find them with black bumpers anymore, they're all faded to shit and look like ass. So instead I'm going to buy the exact same car but with body color bumpers and a rounder dashboard and headlights. Only a matter of time. For some reason the ones I find are always in too bad a condition, too far away or have the wrong engine or options.

I moved to college in one of those, my dad's at the time. One trip from home and one trip to IKEA and my entire room was done.

How are the 00-04 S40s? I hear mixed things, but they're common and cheap in my area (1.6~3k)

It's a mitsubishi carisma

My pops has a c30 and a s60 cross country, both are very sexy cars

Haha nothing like a trip to IKEA in a Volvo! Yeah I moved all my stuff up in one trip this fall.

>4 lug...

Is buying a used Volvo suicide? Assume I can't work on it except for super basic fixes.

I love the look and my neighbors Volvo is up for sale, but I have no experience with anything euro

Buying something other than a used Volvo is suicide.

>manual
Had to replace the slave cylinder on the clutch yet?

I have a S60R and trying to decide if I want to go beyond the suspension upgrades that I just did (25mm sways, front and rear upper braces) and get into the power game, or if that money would be better spent on new car with less potential wallet-fuck problems.

whi it looks like audi a6?

I used Forever Black on my V70 and it worked wonders. I would recommend washing the plastic very, very well, lightly sanding it, then washing it again with some degreaser. Then apply the dye. Two coats seems to do the trick.

They can be annoying to work on at times, but parts are common, and the 850/S70's share most of their parts across the model years, so no shortage of parts and upgrades you can do with factory parts

I got it 5k miles ago and the angle gear already stripped. I'm replacing it for 1k and plan on selling it for (hopefully) 5k. Going to turn around a put that onto a 2016 civic. I had my fun but I really need a reliable daily driver in my life. Too poor to handle the problems that come with a R with 125k miles

Fucking angle gear. What year is your R? They beefed that shitty part up in 2006, and supposedly the ones made in the second half of the 2007 run, like mine, are a little more robust. Mine hasn't eaten shit yet, but I try to avoid hard launches.

Eventually I know I'm going to blow the engine or something. Hopefully it won't happen before the next-gen V60 Polestar arrives.

>2013 c30 t5
>Has every option possible.
>Manual transmission.

Drives OK.
The soft suspension is nice on the shitty roads.
It corners like garbage.
It accelerates fast because inline t5.
Have a roof rack, that's comfy for bike racks and Thule box.
Shit fits into the trunk pretty nicely.

>My stock FRS is much more fun to drive and actually puts a smile on my face.
>C30 is a much more practical car.

Avoid any cars from '01-'04
The Aisin AW55 transmissions used in that period are absolute shit and suffer numerous problems

Which Volvo
Some can be a breeze and some can be nightmares

My '89 740 Turbo
Lotta fun, wish it wasn't an automatic but finding turbo+manual 740's is near impossible anywhere on this side of the US
Also daily an '02 XC70 which is having transmission problems because it never got a trans flush until 117k, love everything else about it but I feel like I'm walking on eggshells when driving it

Yeah. The only old XC90 worth getting is the one with the Yamaha V8. The TF80 transmissions on those sometimes have trouble with worn valve bodies, but that's about it.

Of course, being the best version of the XC90 (at least prior to the new ones, which are god-tier), they've held their value far better than other XC90s.

The T6 XC90s with the GM transmission are all to be avoided. Every last one. Just don't get the T6.

Hey guys... Do you wax your Volvo?

Just waxed mine last night using meguires synthetic. Wish i polished though, there's a good amount of light scratches all over the car.

How are the new twincharged engines in the new Volvos, and transmissions, and so on?

I want to get one, but they sure as hell don't sound like they'll be reliable nor easy to work on.

>V90 Cross Country

What the fuck, I love Volvo now

>it's not a real volvo

p-pls don't be mean to me

Should it have looked like this instead?

Needs slightly less windshield slope for those lines to make sense, but I like it.

So I helped replace a bulb on one of these today, and its brake lights are LED but everything else is incandescent.
Which got me thinking, would there be a market for LED retrofit kits that follow the lines in the glass, a bit like how the new Volvos do it?

If I had to buy a new car, this would be it.

The only added options are the power outlet in the cargo area and window lamination. I'm a bit sad to see the gauge cluster is actually just a screen, but it's 2017 and almost all car makers are starting to make tha shit standard.

Thoughts?

I recently saw a V90 at a local dealership and I liked it.

I'd get a v90 and a slight aftermarket lift instead.

The Cross country is super expensive, and I think the cladding ruins the looks.

Hey /vgt/
My dad has a 96' 850 2.0 t5 originally from Italy with 211 horses and the B5204T turbo i believe. The turbo is leaking oil and gotta go, and we're trying to figure out wich turbo to get. Something that spools earlier would be nice, and maybe be able to squeeze out 250 horses after a tune. Any tips? Go for a stock one or get something else?

Does anyone of you have any experience with the m90 transmission, I heared the3rd gear syncro is a common failure

>my current car
Why make the engine bay 90% plastic cover
why

Did you get your front brake pads changed when you last had your MOT?
What about that corroded offside rear brake line?

Well done, you can use the MOT history site!

My '98 940 LPT.

I always had a fascination for Volvo's and I like the comfyness and room that the car brings.

I love Cruising in it and hauling shit.
It has power when and where I want it. But it's no missile. But thats my thing.

V90 polestar tho

Are you dutch?

Yeah. Why?

is it bad i want this tuned and lowered like those 90s 855 BTCC cars?

He probably saw the tiny little sliver of yellow/blue through your license plate blocking efforts.

Nice car though.

Don't think enough have sold and had enough miles put on them to see. I really want to like them but no standard gearbox option and potential for being another disposable car worries me

M90's are about the strongest RWD transmission Volvo produced
M46's and M47's usually blow out 3rd gear if anything

No, this is completely normal.

I think there was an update in the M90 in the latest models that strengthened the 3rd Gear.

In '97 came the revision.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_M90_transmission

Muh safety

bondo and buff it out

>tfw saw a 95+ 960 wagon
>pretty rare here
>bumper taped on
>fender fucked
Tfw no nice volvo 960/v90

You know if the owner didn't put a pod filter on it and gain those extra 10 horsepower he wouldn't have ended up in a tree!

>Why make the engine bay 90% plastic cover

Because it deadens the sound of the engine without adding much weight - it's a big foam pad. Easy enough to remove if you're not too severely brain-damaged.

>all wheels still on the ground
You can basically drive away from the accident.

youtube.com/watch?v=u7V-G3PiRUc

what the fuck do volvo make their cars out of

Supreme Swedish steel.

This video is actually how they make their sedans.

After 175,000 miles it doesn't work

I can second this. I have a first gen V70 and it is pretty easy and straightforward to work on

1st gen V70's are comfy as fuck. Seats are supportive and cushy and stock suspension has a good balance between sportiness and comfort.

From my personal experience, a used 240, 850, or early V70 are all fantastic cars to buy used. Even finding one for cheap that has been beat up is a good deal. Easy to work on and they will last you quite a while.

Does anyone have an experience with manual swapping a late model 850 or a 1st gen V70?

I currently have the auto in my 2000 V70 and while it works, I would much rather have the 5-speed since I went to this from my 5-speed Volvo 240.

The normal thing to do with an T5 would be to get a 16t from a later s70/v70. It was the stock turbo on the european 850R which is 250hp. It has a different exhaust flange though so you will need to get a different downpipe/exhaust or make it work yourself. BUT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE 2.0 and from that picture there is no intercooler or charge pipe that I can see. So I really have no idea what your car can use. If you showed me that picture I'd say it wasn't even turbod.

The funny thing is 850s are pretty soft compared to the older 240/940. The 850 actually feels a bit flimsy in comparison.

Fuggg no wonder I can never find parts for my estate

...which further adds to my question. Wtf are these things made of

M56 trans swaps are somewhat common. I'm sure there are write-ups about it online, my friend put one into his 850R

>tfw no sweet swede hooner

Don't bother. Sell it and buy a manual one, 97-98 while you're at it.

Posted this in another thread. It its better here.

miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5962336279.html

Do you think I can fit a 5.9l cummins into this? What sort of issues will i run into? Clearances? Drive parts?

Just so happens I have a standard tranny compact truck I could trade him.

Only discerning part is the front end issue.

I replaced the fuel pressure sensor in my Volvo t5, but i still get the hesitation start. Now what do i do?

I would've sent that thing back to the factory as defective for disobeying the laws of physics

m'lads.

Don't have a decent picture of it on hand but I've also got a 99 S70AWD that I picked up for $300... just needed some minor things replaced, and it should pass inspection okay. Should make a nice and comfy cruiser. absolute steal.

I hope you are trolling...why would you ruin a perfectly good Volvo with a Cummins?

m'242

what year?

1979. the best year.

>5 panels
>single round headlights
>last year for Volvos glorious 70s color scheme

no turbo though... for now.

Murica!

I'm trying to get my mom to consider a V90 like in OP's pic since she wants something more capable than her aging Infiniti G37.

Is there any word on when the V90 CC will actually appear in US dealerships to test drive? She's mostly considering the new LR Discovery but I'm not a fan of the styling at all. Only other off-roadish SUVs I can think of other than the Range Rover/Land Cruiser (which are too big/expensive) is the TRD 4-Runner, but that car is pretty dated at this point.

/blogpost

2008 c30t5
Love the car
Had a maf failure and a pcv failure
Maf was easy to fix myself, but the pcv has been annoying, lost some power and the dealership wants an arm and leg to fix it.
Been looking for some place online that ships internationally to huehueland without raping me on shipping / customs

I bought it for reliablility and now it's dead and can't figure out what's wrong with it

well you're trying to fit a Cummins into a FWD Volvo
You're going to hit a ton of issues in clearances and drivetrain

This year I heard

740 BRO
tell me your symptoms I'll try to help