If I wanted a piece of thick, fast, American classic muscle which car should I get?

If I wanted a piece of thick, fast, American classic muscle which car should I get?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Deutsches_Institut_f.C3.BCr_Normung_70020
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>wants muscle
>posts secretary's car

well hardly any of those classic muscle cars are fast so I dont suppose you should get any of them

>classic muscle
Fucking normie.

Miata with a turbo V8 swap.

This
Get a 90s Japanese econobox if you want fast.

>fast
>muscle

you dont know how this works do you?

How is 4.8 to 60 ((slow))? Doubt some 90s rice burner could do that.

What's the biggest motor you can put in these

does this count as muscle?

hmm

no good source

reputable magazines show more like high 5s to mid 6s while running 14s

barely quicker than a 200hp Toyobaru if at all

even then Japanese cars were outrunning that in the early 90s

what makes it worse is that you have to cherry pick a top of the line model that they only made 60 of

no

You buy this. Riding on this will get you plenty of fast American muscle.

In your ass.

Seen a mopar 512 in one.

Fucking picture...

protip you can fit just about any automotive engine in anything if you want to spend the money

lol

I can't speak for the in-scene because I'm European, but from my outsider's view I can't think of another car that's as iconic for the money as a late second gen with the all plastic front. Normally chrome bumpers are all the rage, and you can retrofit pre-safety body pieces if you want to, but somehow the overall look on these simply works. This goes doubly for the Firebird which however I expect to be more expensive because Smokey Bandit tax. Also it's GM so everything swaps with everything and it's easy and cheap to make power.

Thats still not slow actually

A stock almost 500hp muscle car would still destroy the Toyobaru in a highway pull. inb4 8 liter 150hp smogged engine.

Needing a $100k+ Japanese supercar to beat a 30+ year old dinosaur of a car isn't really saying much.

too bad there was never a muscle car that made close to 500

Im sorry but Japanese shitboxes were faster than muscle shit and handling stopping and everything else was so much better its not worth comparing

dont even need to get started on supercars

all muscle cars were just complete shit

>inb4 gross hp

You seem to not understand how torque and gearing have an effect on acceleration, both from a dig and rolling.

Dodge engine in a Ford...
Well I suppose that's an upgrade ford couldn't provide.

>how dare he use a proper measurement

man musclefags are sad

you seem to not understand that it is irrelevant when its still slower than a Mitsubishi shitbox

>proper measurement
You mean sugarcoated. Engines spend their life in a car, not on an engine dyno.

which is why gross hp is stupid to go buy

>some 4-pot shitbox that only makes 228 lb·ft

>it's a "compare totally different types of cars with 30 years of technological advancement despite the OP not giving a shit about jap cars at all" episode

So why did you greentext my post in the first place if we're in agreement?

and is faster in a straight line starting or stopping
faster around a track
more efficient
has 4 doors

torque makes you feel fast hp and light weight makes you fast

lmao

so someone else brings it up and gets btfo so you come in the thread and damage control for him

muscle cars are slow and awful at everything is all Im saying

op should car since he wants a "fast" one

the engine bay is so cavernous that damn near anything, even modern big ass OHC ford V8 engines, will fit with room to spare for headers.

Ive seen people say that gross hp is still hp and just as valid

figured you were talking shit since I dont recognize gross as an equal

If horsepower is just a derivative of torque at a certain RPM, why isn't torque used to compare cars instead?

this is wrong

even for something like a 351w youd have to modify the headers and maybe cut the hood if you used the wrong intake

I mean, you could compare all engines by gross hp, equal playfield and all, it's just that
a) nobody does it and pretty much the entire world has moved on to net hp for the last 40 years.
b) it's misleading in real life applications.

cutlass
always cutlass

trust in the rocket

You realize no manufacturer uses wheel HP, Right?

Torque at a specific rpm sure. Problem is peak torque with just the number means nothing. You need engine speed to put that into a relative bit of knowledge

Because engines rev differently high and because torque doesn't stay constant at different rpm, which is why you always state peak torque at a certain rpm and why your torque curve is a curve and not a straight diagonal line.

Of course, but every legislation of importance has long since imposed measurement standards taking auxiliaries into account.

The toyobaru would probably fair better in a highway pull opposed to a stoplight drag, muscle cars usually ran outta steam pretty quick cause of gearing/lack thereof

I don't see any auxiliaries being used here... The fucking thing isn't even using it's own oil system...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Deutsches_Institut_f.C3.BCr_Normung_70020

>DIN testing, unlike SAE gross power testing, tested the engine as installed in the vehicle, with cooling system, charging system and stock exhaust system all connected. [...] DIN hp is measured at the engine's output shaft [...]

A Toyobaru does 4000rpm doing normal highway speeds, talk about short and low gearing... Couple that with the sub 200hp and you're going nowhere fast on the highway.

post reputable magazine sources with month/issue and page # please

>trusting german automobile tests to be accurate or even real

>not being able to drive a german manual sportsedan

stay pleb

I spin around 3500rpm at 80ish mph if in my FRS, which isnt to bad considering it can spin to 7k. Most oldschool muscle cars struggled to get past 110-120mph, but they got there in a hurry

Lmao where did the boomer touch you bud? Go fart away in your little 4 banger into a honda thread

>Most oldschool muscle cars struggled to get past 110-120mph, but they got there in a hurry
and this is why muscle cars are very enjoyable in normal driving conditions and benchracing isn't an accurate representation of that.

Looks like trash, only one nice Mustang II exists

>mfw this thread.

>mfw I own a 4-Banger boxer motors and 2 V8s.

I think a challenger would be cool

this is the gayest post i ever read thanks user

Some muscles supposedly did around 140-150 MPH and was quick to get there, stuff like highway patrol Dodge cars.

Most cars back then had a police pursuit package available. The Olds 442 was created off the police package for the F-85.

Usually the limitation for top speed was the transmission- most of these cars had a four-speed manual with no overdrive at max, and lots of them still had a THREE-speed auto or manual. They had short gearing set up for burnouts and stoplight races and then you hit 100-something and ran out of gears to go through.

13.5s quarter mile? Lmao. You can get a Civic besting that with some bolt ons.

Mustang iis are light and really fun

Easy 1500 horsepower

Not a big fan of japanese cars but that is a really sexy wagon. What year?

me 2 >:)

1973-1978

This is my favourite Mustang, however none of the classic muscle cars you can think of are actually fast in any practical sense of the word. With an engine swap you could go pretty fast in a straight line but taking one on a track is suicidal.

The RX-3 dominated racing for a long time.

That's despite having a live rear axle too, while the Skylines had independent rear suspension, if I'm not mistaken.