/classic car general/ - /ccg/

/classic car general/ - /ccg/

Nailhead Edition

>Post your classic cars and trucks
>Blog about electrical gremlins
>Pray to the carb gods
>Argue about Mopar vs Ford vs Chevy vs Pontiac vs Buick vs Oldsmobile vs Cadillac vs Packard vs Hupmobile vs Deusenberg vs Auburn vs Edsel vs Cord vs Locomobile vs Hudson vs Studebaker vs AMC vs Graham

RIP Exhaust manifold

Time for some zoomies mayne
>TFW have to grind the welds down on my passenger side headers

Probably just gonna get a new cast manifold. Headers are more trouble than they're worth right now

What engine?

324 Olds Rocket

>324 Olds Rocket
Muh dick post car.

Also yeah you're better off going the easy way.

>TFW America

I really do need a pair of walkers.

I just got these ariats, I got a smoking deal

I'm at work now but I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it

Anyone ever turbo a windsor? I'm looking to get a 351 and make about 600 HP

Are you thinking of EFI or blow through?

can't hold back the vomit

I want to carburate the engine because 351 fuel injection intakes are expensive and you can get good performance from a carb

Turbo + carb is super expensive as well. At that point your better off just getting a big honking single plane Edelbrock Victor or something. And putting a TOI unit on their, but even that is expensive. Or just using a stock truck bottom end, better heads and a cam and then using the stock truck lower and a gt40 upper intake. But I don't know shit about turbo charging a vehicle

They're not as nice as my luccheses but they'll make great every day boots.

TBI, not toi.

why won't texas die

no one but texas wants texas

lmao you would look so fucking gay in those

>implying he hasn't already gone full Brokeback Mtn

Just the stock truck ECU

You can convert a regular carb to be blow through fairly easily, how would it be anymore expensive than using EFI?

There's plenty of articles online on converting a carb, even hotrod has one or two they've done

haters gonna hate

>it's expensive to build a blow through carb
Wew lad

I'm not a Texan but I love Texas.

I eat my girlfriend's ass if it makes you feel better

Didn't know that. I casually browsed summit and I was a little afraid. Very cool.

JB weld breh

I'll be able to score a manifold for like 50 bucks.

That's pretty cheap

They're not that rare. They made them the same for 54-56. The only difference is casting numbers

top kek, wtf?

didn't think you're into that style, get some spurs

>get some spurs
That's an international symbol for taking dick if you don't ride horses lel

>implying you don't take dick

I'm not implying that friend, I state it ;)

You make a lousy general even worse

Cry more, my son

At least in but like all the data in /DBT/ thirsting for boipucci

>Pray to the carb gods
Does that mean some clergy post here? Because the gods have forsaken me and I must purge my sins and regain their favor...

>Not Red Wings
It's like you don't know what boots even are.

I don't do enough work to justify redwings. Also
>TFW can't afford ostrich lucchese boots.

Tfw can't afford lucchese, red wings, or ariats.
t.
Payless shopper

lol ok fair enough

>red wings
What are you fucking gay?

hey /ccg/
I have inherited a 69 el camino in decent shape recently and wanted to see what is recommended to tackle first on these old GMs.

I have no experience with domestic cars, I have only owned and worked on german imports.

There is no rust on the car, its commiefornia car.

Just got these the other day I'm so fucking hyped

I own ariats and lucchese nyukkaDoes it run? If anything, id do a full fluid change and flush
>Brakes
>Coolant
>Oil
>ATF
>Diff
While doing that I'd check the condition of the tires, brake pads/shoes. If it doesn't run consider rebuilding it upgrading the carb.

New spark plugs couldn't hurt either. You're in luck, there's a gorillion parts for those things

Here's my model A. It's got a 429, top loader 4 speed. Took me 2 god damn years to get on the road and it still gives me some trouble

Whoops I read that as you don't own.

Save up like 150, that's how much my ariats were. A decent amount, but they'll last for years of daily use

Depends what you are trying to do
And it's hard to believe it's a California car and no rust
Check the under the trim on the back window on the bottom especially, check the part of the quater panel behind the wheels, check under the trim on the bottom of the windsheild and under the wind shield wiper grille
All are very common rust spots that people tend to over look or hide

Man that thing is cool. Does it have a name?

Some call it the handtight coupe..

I would like to modernize the drivetrain, suspension and steering and have it become a weekend fun car.
Currently it doesn't run, since the carb needs a rebuild.
I will definitely check in those places for rust, thanks for letting me know.

Badass. How loud is that thing? It's gotta be decently quick though.

If you're going that route, which I will be too with the ferd, I recommend just to get it running and increase bit by bit. Theres a lot of fun to be had with a stock 60s vehicle with low limits, you'll find out.

What kind of engine and tranny does it have
The stock suspension is actually very capable due to it being almost a triangulated 4 link, you could get away with getting some aftermarket shocks Springs and a sway bar and have it handle decently

its the 307 V8 and 3 speed auto

The sound is majestic 8 unfiltered cylinders of pure freedom. It's loud and I don't wear earplugs... And as of 2 days ago I broke the rear tires loose at about 70 messing with an m3

>destroying relicts of history
dude

A whooping 200 horse power lol and your tranny should fair just fine to any upgrades you do to the engine in the state it is now
I assume it's a 2 barrel what would free up alot of power would be to junk that and the intake manifold and get a 4 barrel carb and intake
I would check your valve lash too cause God knows when the last time it was adjusted

Do carb throttle plates close all the way? I know they shouln't, but do they?

The engine wouldn't idle if they closed all the way. There has to be a cunt hair of a gap.

Only one kind of boot I wear and its Danner.

No, there's actually a little screw that the carb plate rests on when the throttle closes that determines how much air gets into the engine. When I was having retarded idle problems a few weeks ago it was because the spring that keeps the screw in place failed and kept backing itself out do the throttle plate was just chilling at a1/4 throttle. Not good for building good brake vacuum or for doing anything.

>Destroying relics of history
Hotroding has been going on since the 40s. Stop sounding like a 90 year old lady

That's fucking mental. I'm p jelly. Gotta love a Ford powered Ford

No one but California, you mean.

I understand that, but if that screw is removed, will it fully close? My motorcraft 2150 will close, but this holley doesn't. The motorcraft works, but the holley doesn't

Maybe, honestly it depends on the carburetor specifically. Mine does.

You're sure it's not on the idle-up cam?

Post pics.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bruh. Where is that?

Right in front of the driver side door. It runs up to the cowl. Something on the cowl is leaking and water runs down there to pool on the floor.
Unfortunately no money so i can't solve the problem right now.
Hoping my tax return will be enough to help cure this problem.

Oh i should say, there was insulation there so it probably held water right up against that metal.

Tomorrow ima go wild with a can of rust converter but it's defo rusting all along the path the water took to get there.

>TFW tax return is going to pay for a cam, valve springs and maybe valve covers and an HEI

I'd hit it with a grinder or a sander and then paint it.

The whole interior will eventually be sanded down. The converter should just stop the rust from growing until i have the funds to attack this.
I may need to pull the windshield. I'm hoping i won's because i don't have the gasket to reseal it.

Ugghh Mayne I have a spider crack in my windshield.
>Nos windshield: 1000 dollars
>Aftermarket replacement: 450 burger bucks
Fuck

fug that's a lot, even an A body windshield is only $200.
Why is it so pricey?

Curved glass and the thing hasn't been made for 51 years. The windshield is a wrap around design

I guess the market is dictated entirely by how many vehicles need restoration.
Can't one of those Safelite people come out to help?

450 Is the Safelite price. I've called

Dam son

That's what I'm saying. Thankfully winter hasn't been /that/ cold

I also doubt that model A was a true survivor car, it most likely was a hunk of crap ready for the junkyard, as with most model A hotrods built today. Alot of people pay outrageous prices for rusted out bodies and build the cars from there, Most true survivor cars stay survivor cars, and any pieces of crap that are built into something like this I applaud.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Rust converter is a good plan, Leave the carpet and insulation out right now as it will only hold water against the metal and make the problem worse until you fix the leak.

Here's what my maverick's floorpans looked like

fug

That's insane

your leg pants would ruffle in the wind riding down the highway. I also had no heat or defroster motor, and we had a huge ice storm about three years ago, I had to drive with my window cracked so my windshield wouldn't fog up in below freezing weather.

That being said, it being my first old car, seeing as how it had zero amenities of modern cars and it seemingly wanting to fly apart at the seams, I still sometimes wish i was still driving it.

Nostalgia is a bitch.

That's so scary bro.
I wipe away the puddles after every rain just because i don't want to put new pans in to be honest. I'm glad it's not that bad, no offense.

Dude fixing my heater was the best decision I've made on this vehicle

why would i take offense? The maverick was a giant hunk of shit. That's why it's in a million pieces in my garage right now.

How's the 460 coming?

Still sitting as a bare block in the garage. I suddenly got poor as fuck last year and it's stayed that way since.

AHHHHHH, wait nvm it was no big deal

I'm about to do some sheet metal work myself.

First time butt welding anything that had to look halfway decent, Wish me luck /ccg/

Holy shit m8

Tack a filler plate in behind it and hold it with a magnet. Paint it with weld through primer. Makes life a lot easier. I didn't do it for this panel since I didn't want it to be visible inside the trunk but I would anywhere else that the filler plate wouldn't show, it's a huge pain in the ass to do butt welds like this

Should I do it bros?

yes yes yes yes yes

You did a very good job on this too, I love it.
Hows the whole thing coming along anyways? I assume the pain is all done?
Haven't seen any new photos from you in a while

how much for you to do this on my trans am? It's got that rust spot under the back window, you know the one that every 2nd gen has