Ok Veeky Forums I'm pretty desperate for a paint job...

Ok Veeky Forums I'm pretty desperate for a paint job. My car already has patches of rust into prime spray and the paint that's left looks like shit. My main concern is losing my sheet metal to rust and I know it needs paint. The problem is I'm a broke ass nigga right now. I have a couple of different options in front of me. I could go with a $300 maaco cheap ass paint job or there is a tech school in my area and I know the director of the paint and body program there. He's offered to let his students do the job for the same price. The difference though is that they'd do a full job including stripping what's there, sanding, priming paint, and clear coat. But it's still students. What would Veeky Forums do?

students

its like donating your body to science

Yeah but in a going to medical students kind of way or a testing cosmetics kind of way??

How the fuck do you even paint a car for $300?

I spent $600 in primer and activator, $1200 in paint, $500 in clear, $200 in Isopropyl alcohol and cleaning supplies and $400 in misc sanding, tape, etc supplies. At the end without any of my time, I spent close to $3,000 just in materials for a normal paint job.

Tech center by far
They're under instruction
Meanwhile the Mascot is employed by Deshaun and Julio who are getting fucked up on fumes and blunts and won't strip your trim or do any thorough work whatsoever

That's why everyone says maaco jobs are terrible and need redone in 6 months. This is one of those do what you gotta do situations though unfortunately

Probably because the school pays for the paint, then the instructor pockets the cash.

That's my thoughts too. The students are working for grades and not just minimum wage. They actually have incentive to do well. And need to learn how to do the full job and do it well.
Actually probably true but maaco charges the same

Go with the students. They are under supervision just be sure to take everything out of your car. Do post results afterwards. Also, they will probably let the best painter there do your car, most other shittier students do other bullshit work.

Yeah I'm definitely leaning that way. When I get it done I think that would be a great follow up post with before and after

Another option, go with maaco then when u get more money up clear coat the fuck out of the car, but once again I would students.

Also, since its a tech school, I'm sure they have pictures, just ask the director for pictures of vehicles the tech kids have worked on and the process they go through.

Great thought! Kinda like a tattoo artist's portfolio.
Good idea if I go with maaco

Well, hopefully you can find the option that best suites you. Its always a good idea to keep up with clear coats anyway. Just try to get as much information as possible for both platforms.

Unfortunately there is a world of information out there on the net about maacos work and most of it ain't pretty. But desperate times and desperate measures being what they are, who knows. The stuff the kids at the school have access to paint wise might be better than what maaco uses. I'm meeting with the guy next week to discuss the possibilities. Out of curiosity, if they have it available, how much of a bitch is it to take care of matte paint? Is it even worth the effort?

I'd put my money on the students doing better than maaco.

If you only care about avoiding rust, spend $100 on some sandpaper and spray paint. It won't look good but it won't rust. Macco ruins cars, so save some money and cover it up. If you care about how it will look at all give it to the students, chances are that at a minimum, they'll do a better job than Deshanyolanda at macco

Well the opinion here is wildly in favor of the tech school. Have any of you Veeky Forumstists gone that route yourself?

I did use to go to a tech school that was pretty amateurish, but seemed like most of the body shop kids had their heads o right.

don't do I've tried this 4 times now and they simply won't give you the coverage you need. Go down to wallmart, buy some rollers (yes that kind0 and a $8 qt of rustoleum "heavy rust outdoor paint" and roll it on. I did my truck and I love the way it turned out. I think I have like $40 in it total and it's thick and FINALLY isn't rusting.

>I know the director of the paint and body program there. He's offered to let his students do the job for the same price.

The supervised students will be a better deal and better job than Maaco. And you need all that stripping which Maaco doesn't do.

If it were me, I would get the full job. It seems a giant bargain.