Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast (Returns January 18th):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/MmsFC
pastebin.com/EArrxyiS
pastebin.com/TtB9zFNa
pastebin.com/FKdSB1Fw
supershigi.com/forums/index.php?topic=888.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post progress
Tell/show us what you are working on user!

Ancient Lich awaken.
He command various undeads and demons.
Ready to take over the world.
Only to be crushed by tanks, jet fighters, and modern weapons.
After his utter defeat, the only servants he has left are virgin succubuses, lazy dullahan, vegan vampire, and shaky skeletons.

Learning from his mistake, he decide to inflitrate human town and slowly corrupting people.
From with manipulation and hypnotize, he'll make every nation wage war against each other.
He will take over the world.

---------------

Is this good enough for prologue?

This sounds fun, I like that idea.

Currently, pacing out my work so that I'm ready for GubiD's S/T-RPG battle system when it drops.

Working on skills and their planned functions, because once that's out of the way all I have to do is portraits, sprites and tilesets then the battle system.

Bit hard to work on a project where the main component is still in dev.

Good night bump

I'm a complete rpgm newb so this will sound stupid, but is there a way to create a slot machine type attack with numbers from 0-9 in each reel and have the final result equal the damage done?

basically something like an input number option with rolling numbers?

Well, you could make a common event dealing with the number generation themselves and then perhaps you could show a graphic in the same event?

That's how I'd do it at least.

Is it alright if I steal this idea a bit? One of my classes in my game is "Gambler" and that fits so well.

I feel like I've seen the exact same question before.
In short yes.
Getting 3 random numbers and combining them to a 3-digit number is quite easy and it may even be possible to integrate this into a one-liner in the damage calc window. Showing the matching pictures is probably a bit harder.

>Is it alright if I steal this idea a bit?
sure man it's just an idea, thanks for the reply

thanks, didn't even consider the damage calc window

now I remembered that the "reels" would also need to be stopped by a button press

thanks for the ideas

Just 2 simple MV questions that i could probably answer in 1 minute by googling.

1)Is there a plugin to show the enemy's level in battle?

2)Is there some way to "fake" the enemy's level(like it's a mysterious boss and it shows lv???? instead of lv50) ?

why can't none of you tits make a new thread while the previous one is still alive

Post 'em.

I've been away from RPG maker for about 10 years and I've just picked up MV.

Is using RTP still frowned upon? I can do pretty much everything else but I'm shit at tilesets.

The last thing I want is my game being stepped over because of any RPG maker stigmas.

I just woke up from a dream that terrorists or someone were attacking while I was at an electronics store. There were mushroom clouds on the horizon and gunmen shooting people in the parking lot.

Is there an Rpgmg Discord room? I see AGDG has one. Might be comfortable on this snowy Sunday afternoon.

I started making some simple pixel art pieces that might be usable with simpler pixel art styles. I'll fill the sheet out as I go. They're MV size.

And I post the wrong image. What a way to start.

Bumping.
Does anyone still developing RGSS3 script?

>That non-subtlety in those icons

Never change Japan, never change.

So just as a general question more than an RPGM question;

How is it that FF Tactics Advance is like 5.5mb yet the smallest RPGM game's are like 20mb for the shortest ones?

ah new thread
moo~

I completely organized all my weapons and now it feels comfy as fuck. I'm thinking over the course of the game you can get 15 weapons for each character including a joke weapon and ultimate weapon.

so I'm using a script that makes enemies have HP bars during combat, and I can change whether their HP is displayed as an absolute value or a percentage
How do I make it possible for the player to choose in-game how enemy HP is displayed, or turn off the HP bars completely?

If it's a script function where you have to call it, I'd imagine you could turn it to either with an event.

>Create a global variable, e.g. $enemy_hp_display_type.
>Incorporate a case...when... clause in your script to allow switching between display modes (%, absolute, none; corresponding to values of 0,1,2 of $enemy_hp_display_type)
>call an event with choices
>depending on the choice set $enemy_hp_display_type = 0, 1, or 2

thanks

Bump.

Bump

Damn I remember that Cartoon Network game. It felt incredibly comfy for some reason

False potential party members: Good twist or bad twist?

Good.

it's passable, you'll always be encouraged not to use it but there are plenty of games that get away with using it

What are the downsides of using MV over VX ace?

Pretty much nothing. You can even keep using the VX RTP with a plugin and a few seconds in photoshop per tileset.

I'm doing that in my game. He is the first member you get and he drives the story for pretty much half of the game.

It runs a bit more slowly.

There is one, but the last post was Dec. 15th. It's even deader than this thread:

discord.gg/MmsFC

I'm thinking about what to name my mysteriously "evil" bad guy. He is not named for a good portion of the game until a certain part. The only thing that comes to me is TSUGARA. Is that... too weab? All the other characters have normal western sounding names except the evil guy. Is it too much? I want it to sound foreign and possibly antiquated.

The game or the developing?

I wrote a script a while ago to generate fantasy-ish names using a list of real names and Markov chains. Here's 100 names:

pastebin.com/EArrxyiS

It comes up with a lot of names, from stuff like "Jachlaise" and "Chranerretton" to stuff like "Alfo".

>Is that... too weab?
depends on context, if the character design is exotic then an exotic name works too
names are mostly just feeling imo, if it sounds right go with it

The game. The switch from Ruby to Javascript greatly improved flexibility, but at a speed cost. (Although honestly VX felt slow at times when compared to 2k3, especially with lots of events)

This is awesome.

That's pretty neat, user. I may use some of those, if I'm allowed.

Well considering other characters have names like Phil and Elise, it certainly is "exotic". The evil guy doesn't make an appearance for at least awhile. Until then he is not given a visual except for a brief flashback that a character has.

Just change it to "Zugara" and now it doesn't sound "weeb".

I'm a non-weeb and I wouldn't recognize that name as weeb, in fact I think it sounds cool. You could look into other languages for inspiration though, I do use modified versions of random foreign words for some dungeons and characters but they're all euro languages

If you have Ruby installed, you can use this script to generate more names. Save it as "markov_names.rb":

pastebin.com/TtB9zFNa

You also need a list of source names. Save this as "first_names.rb" in the same folder:

pastebin.com/FKdSB1Fw

Ah, cool. ty ty

thank you too

I may do that. I think the TSU really makes people wonder. But phonetically, TSU sounds different from ZU.

I may also try to do that as well. As the game progresses, things start to become more and more strange. At the beginning, it is grounded in a somewhat familiar reality. Then as more strange enemies and places appear, the names become foreign and strange too.

Do you work on your game linearly? Like an act at a time? Or do you work on individual aspects across the whole game?

I feel like my first act is strong enough that it if I gave it some serious polish it would make a halfway-decent demo, but I really haven't touched anything after that. I have a rough outline, although I don't think it makes a good story arc.

Are you me? I'm also almost done with my first act, although I'm seriously worried that when I finish polishing whats already there I'll think of something else I want to add and I'll keep doing that forever. I also sort of know whats going to happen in the second act, story wise, but I make up the side shit as I go along

I have a more non-linear, chaotic approach, where I'll work on specific aspects at a time. I'm also the same when writing texts, I will often jump from the main body to the introduction and back to the ending.

Haha time to reinstall linux mint. See y'all on the other side.

i think there was a anime like this but with demons

Are you the user that was running his game on a server, playing on his laptop???

Right now I've been working on my story outline. I actually write scene by scene in a linear fashion. I'm still coming up with the story and whatever I write is what the next part of the story is. I have a very vague idea of what will happen as major plot points but no specific details.

Right now I'm still in the first 1/3 of Act II. The story is just starting to pick up and the first major plot points are being made. At the moment I just write in game aspects and notes into the game as I'm writing the story. For example when the characters reach a certain location I'll add in a note that says what type of enemies they'll be facing or if they gain a party member. I leave out the dialogue, instead going for third person descriptions of what is happening and the general idea of what the dialogue is about.

No dying allowed

Yes. It's specifically the laptop that I'm reinstalling. The server is in a virtual machine on my desktop.

Oh! I remember playing a demo some months ago.
How is your progress?

>Have an idea
>Constantly question it until I give it up
Maybe game design isn't for me

What idea, and are you worried that others wont like it or is it you that dont like it?

I know this isn't exactly the place to ask, but anyone have experience with Wolf RPG Editor (One Way Heroics, Mad Father, Witch's House, LiEat, to name a few)?

I'm having a bug where any game on this engine can't play audio at all, but it's otherwise playable. Running through Wine on Linux if that helps, couldn't find any reports on this from google either

Mainly worried that others won't like it, that it is a stupid idea, although sometimes I get bored with the idea as well

Maybe you muted the audio in Wolf games? Did you check the options and properties?

If so maybe it's better to show your ideas here and get feedback on them, when youre all alone working on your game sometimes its hard to know whats good and what isnt.

this, second opinions are always worthwhile, posting it here or showing someone you can trust to give honest criticism might help
alternatively, write down the ideas you're unsure about and leave them on the back burner while you work on something else. I've done that several times and am often amazed at how much difference coming back to an old concept a month or two later makes in the way you look at it

It's not the config, even freshly downloaded Wolf RPG games start up without any audio, and it's not system's sound settings either. And even if there's a config file both sound and music are on...but nope, nothing plays.

Really stumped here, that's why I decided to ask, see if anyone else has gotten the same problem before. I'm running on Linux Mint, but as far as I can search no one's reported this either.

Also, just in case someone else who knows more about technical aspects, I've set Wine to run RPG Maker games through this guide: supershigi.com/forums/index.php?topic=888.0 , and I've tested running Wolf RPG games with winegstreamer.dll and winepulse.drv enabled and still nothing. Any info would be appreciated!

after the demo last october, we've managed to nail some annoying bugs, such as random crashes for seemingly no reason. currently working on the game's opened up structure from here on out and a new area in particular. fun stuff

Successive approximations of trying to sprite out characters.

I would be really careful about posting something very near and dear to your creative process here though.

There's a couple salty toxic anons lurking that fling shit at anyone doing better than them.

That's partially true. As long as you have tough skin, it's okay. I've been posting my icons and have gotten good feedback. The first thing I posted sucked ass and the criticism, some helpful and some not, helped me be better.

I actually find the harsh criticism extremely helpful. I figure if you assholes (I mean that endearingly) like it than your average player will go apeshit over it.

Right, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with constructive criticism.

But the toxic anons here sometimes will just try to hurt your feelings without giving you anything to go off of, which can leave you feeling (even more) demoralized if you're not ready for it.

I really like the one on the right, that full body sprite/pixel art style is my jam. Nice work user.

>just try to hurt your feelings
>if you're not ready for it
Yep, I agree with that. If you're gonna post on here, be ready mentally for no help, criticism and meanies. But as long as you don't take it personally and be genuinely honest about your work and yourself, people here can be helpful.

That's true of every community, there will always be trolls. Veeky Forums is not unique in this aspect. Putting yourself out there always exposes you to being harassed or put down by others who are incapable themselves. I think the best way to deal with it is to develop a skill for discerning between proper feedback and mindless drivel, and then put yourself out there. You cannot grow without feedback.

>You cannot grow without feeback
Don't believe me just watch
Joking.

Right. That, and there's toxic people that are gonna be reviewing your game, so if you see what gripes people have on here, you can predict what they will say later.

Thanks, trying to de-grunge it a little so it looks more colorful, but I'm generally p happy with it

Ogggghhhhh fuck yeah. Cool to see you're still around.

Down the line if you become known you will get both love and hate, cant dodge toxic remarks forever, just how everything is really

Trying to be artsy for a moment because I can draw faster this way~

ZA WARUDO

WRYYY

Am I getting mixed up?
I thought Leohart was the trip that was working on the zodiac game?

Yes.
He is making that game with the black cat.

Oh ok, gotcha

Sorry not Leohart here, I'm just user

There need to be people like that, though. It would start to get annoying and even feel unnatural if everyone was always "z0mg this is SO cool great job user!!

So how ass-aggravating are non-euclidean mazes anyways?

I was thinking about a brief maze in a part where reality is breaking down as the player approaches a sleeping god. So for it, what's better than a non-euclidean maze? Well, a non-euclidean maze that changes every time you enter and exit it, of course.

For it, I was thinking of a very simple, very straight forward 10 chunks x 10 chunks maze that randomly distributes the "Transfer Player" events amongst each other upon entering the maze. In that way, going into a room and then back out the same way is just as valid for progressing as going straight forward (indefinitely, somehow). The player has the means to mark each room he's entered before, as well as the corridors he's taken, but if non-euclidean mazes are that tedious, I may scale it down to 5x5 or even 3x3. For reference, there aren't random encounters to bog the whole thing down.

"Test it urself" doesn't really work here because I really enjoy hunkering down and spending 20 or so minutes mapping the logic and routes of such a maze, but I feel the casual player probably won't feel the same - or maybe won't even understand, so I'm at least planning on broastcasting rather loudly what they are in for before entering.

Trying out pyxel. Seems pretty neat so far.

Alright, sadboi here.

I think this is the last update of the 16x16 icons that I've been working on. I think it's time to move up to 32x32! It's been hard but I've learned a lot.

You should try restricting yourself to just 4 colors (black, white, 2 grays) like the original gameboy

That sounds so difficult that I almost want to do it. I like a good challenge. I'm not sure I could honor the Gameboy in such a way. I'm using a 15 color palette right now. Basically black, white and 13 shades of gray.

I'm not sure I'd call a character you use for so long a "false playable character". I think it'd be more of a character that looks like you'll play him but then it never happens, or you play them for like 1 or two fights and then that's it.

Oh. I think I misunderstood what you were saying kek

I like what you doing with the shades, but I feel 13 might be too many. I also think 2 would be too few. If 13 works, stick with it. Not everything has to be pure Game Boy

I get what you're saying though. 13 is nice but since I'm using 16x16, I don't feel like I can get the full use out of them. Or maybe I'm not that good yet. I do find that I usually use around 5 or 6 shades of grey when making things. I may try to limit myself to that.