Seafoam: does this shit work?

So I've got a 1990 Gmc 2500 with a 5.7 vortec which gets less than 10 mpg. Wondering if seafoam would clean the injectors and possibly help me out a little bit. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8
youtube.com/watch?v=WdT4DPFXIkM
youtube.com/watch?v=nOoIuBu5xO4
youtu.be/-ynGWxzJHjA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

reminds me of the one engine from the cringe threads where some guy put in some expand foam for construction because he thinked it was the same stuff like seafoam

It might...make sure your tires are properly inflated...don't ride your brakes when driving...see if you can check out the gearing for your truck, it may be geared low for towing/hauling...top up your blinker fluid...

I believe it does but not that much.

GTFO of here, nobody is that stupid

He posted a pic of it too. Some people really are that stupid

Ever thought about doing an LPG or CNG conversion OP?

It would probably be better to get a cheap volt meter and diagnose your fuel Injection. You might have a bad sensor causing fuel to dump. Check your tires as well.

Strip the interior.

Putting seafoam through the intake while running won't help your gas mileage problem. In fact it might make it worse since getting rid of the carbon in the combustion chamber will actually decrease your compression ratio. Only use seafoam in that manner if you are experiencing pinging or knock.

Gas mileage wise, you CAN put it in your fuel tank, but there are more effective products for cleaning the fuel system such as Lucas fuel system treatment. I have used that 4 tanks in a row and experienced a great improvement in fuel performance.

If that doesn't fix it, replace your O2 sensor(s). Running rich from a bad O2 sensor will essentially be wasting fuel and ruining your catalytic converter.

It doesn't really help the engine out much. But it sure does make badass clouds of smoke and that's pretty cool.

>Lucas fuel system treatment
>4 tanks in a row
>a great improvement
Can you describe the difference as responsiveness and/or mpgs?

youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8

Seafoam might help the idle if it's rough but not much else, I've had two gmt400's and it's most likely egr related.

The egr valve and solenoid like to stick, about 60 in parts and you can replace both in maybe 20 minutes.

Also do a fuel filter, they are 15 bucks or so, easy swap. Pull a spark plug and check if you're running rich, pop off the air cleaner and take a good look at your two fuel injectors to see if they drip.

You only have one o2 and it's right before the cat so I wouldn't worry about it. These trucks get 17-19 on the highway when they're running perfect so don't expect any miracles.

At the cost of this, it's better just to buy new/refurbished injectors and make sure you've changed the fuel filter recently.

Seafoam doesn't really do much in the gas or oil for injectors. It's best use is to clean out carbon deposits in the engine by feeding it through vacuum lines.

>because he thinked it was the same stuff
>he thinked it

I thought LPG gives you slightly lower MPG, and despite the super cheap fuel cost, it takes quite a while to pay it's self off because the LPG conversion is quite expensive

GMT400 fanatic here, listen to this dude

>Wondering if seafoam would clean the injectors and possibly help me out a little bit.
It's actually not all that miraculous. It's an old product from the old days with a good catchy name. There was someone on a forum that tried to reduplicate the product and came close because SeaFoam was legally required to disclose approximate values of its past formulations. It's basically a combination of several petrochemical solvents. There's no specially made cleaning substances like PEA in it.

Probably what helps SeaFoam sell is that it's packaged in a nice metal can with all that "buy me, I am a miracle in a can" printing all over it. Solves hangnails. Cleans water out of your tank. Cures cancer. Cleans injectors.

Yup. Kind of like Marvels Mystery Oil. It's just ATF. But people actually buy it.

It doesn't have tbi, it's cpfi

youtube.com/watch?v=WdT4DPFXIkM

Lawnmower ≠ fuel injected V8 truck

>one is an ICE
>the other is an ICE

I see your point.

>All ICEs are created equal
Good to know.

does the gasoline or seafoam change chemically in a V8?

Your car engine is either OHV, SOHC or DOHC, a lawnmover usually has a falthead.
Your car engine usually has a higher compression ratio and a more complex intake manifold.
Nowerdays most cars usually even have turbochargers, wich changes even more.

You didnt answer the question m8.

I seafoamd my carby car and used some fuel injection cleaner in the tank. It ran like shit for a month but afterwords it idled much smoother.

I´m not the guy you argued before.
But the physical conditions change instead of the chemical conditions.

short answer yes but not worth the money because it does soo little. check your spark plugs and air filter, replace if needed
also this

I'm and I only made one post in the thread.

All I'm saying is that not all ICEs are created equal.

On most of the auto forums I frequent people say it works. Some people say it can give you issues but its generally recognized that if it does give an issue that the issue was already there just not as noticeable because of buildup.

I use the spray kind to shoot into carbs of old lawnmowers,snowblowers other 2 strokes and it works like a fucking champs.

smokes out the entire fucking block though

Worth every penny. I run 2oz/gal with every tank.

>So I've got a 1990 Gmc 2500 with a 5.7 vortec which gets less than 10 mpg.

Sounds about right.

Better off redoing plugs/wires/filters, putting TCW-3 in your gas and driving it hard for awhile

I have limited knowledge of that engine, but I do know that the fuel injection system is garbage and prone to failure. Check into that first.

How often should plug wires be replaced?

>getting rid of the carbon in the combustion chamber will actually decrease your compression ratio
who comes up with this shit lmao?

>>getting rid of the carbon in the combustion chamber will actually decrease your compression ratio

>who comes up with this shit lmao?

People who don't understand how an internal combustion engine works on a basic level.

More carbon means less volume at TDC.

Carbon needs somewhere to displace if you remove it: it can either go out the exhaust, or it can go down into your piston rings. Sketchy product if you ask me.

It goes out the exhaust.

less carbon means more air sucked in

The carbon has to go into solution. This implies a liquid state and thus wall wetting. It goes both ways.

Say my displacement is 50 cc
Say my volume at TDC is 5 cc
My compression ratio is 10:1

Now my piston is coated in carbon that takes up 1 cc.
My cylinder is now 49 cc
My volume at TDC is now 4 cc
My new compression ratio is now 12.25:1

now lets get real and say your displacement is 500cc+

It doesn´t work like that.
You have a displacement of 50cm3.
That doesn´t change with carbon deposits since bore and stroke stay the same.
You have a additional volume in the cylinder head, usually about 5cm3.

If you have 1cm3 of carbon deposit in a 50cm3 engine with a 1:10 compression ratio, you would get:
50cm 3 : (5cm3-1cm3)= 12,5
Your compression would be 1:12,5.
Depending on your fuel and how good your engine breathes you might get knocking.

Done it in my E36
After a month the on board computer showed I gained a couple of mpgs
Not sure if I'd trust a 20 year old garbage electronic from the 90's but I like to believe it cleaned some of the carbon deposits out
Taking apart and cleaning the motor and replacing worn parts if you want the best results

Okay but does it even clean the injectors?

>If that doesn't fix it, replace your O2 sensor(s). Running rich from a bad O2 sensor will essentially be wasting fuel and ruining your catalytic converter.
holy shit no don't do it, check your fuel trims and see if the O2 sensors are responding before doing anything to them jesus

How do I do that? Code reader or a diagnostic computer?

No. Get the gumout or another brand that has PEA in it.

Some youtubers recommend just water, haven't tried it out yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=nOoIuBu5xO4

Around 60k miles I think?

I did the "hot soak" twice in a row on a 86 Nissan pickup with over 300k miles. It definitely idled smoother. Started a little easier too. That's all I noticed.

What if my car engine is side valve? Does seafoam work? Does it work on IoE engines?

I think it works.

1/3- 2/3 a can though the brake booster once every 50k is enough

>tfw would kill for 10 mpg
>getting 7 mpg city with an L29 454

>clean injectors
You're better off taking them off the fuel rail and letting them sit in a cup/bucket of brake cleaner over night

What the fuck...

Probably a troll image, no cams in that engine, and no marks in the foam from where they used to be.

Ford says to not use it with ecoboost engines as SeaFoam can damage turbos.

Also check this video out:
youtu.be/-ynGWxzJHjA

i spray seafoam up my ass to clear out carbon buildup, I don't see how it wouldn't work for your engine